Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
detoxing from methadone in prison

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

detoxing from methadone in prison

i recently went to jail & had been on either opiates, bupe, or recently methadone....for 15 years. I got on methadone about 4 months prior to jail. I am not sure if its because i never detoxed from the heroin & opiates when i got on methadone or when but the detox from methadone was THE WORST. My legs felt like they were gonna jump through my skin, i was fine for days 1, 2 & 3, then day 4 - day 12 no sleep. My legs got so bad & i was so out of my mind from no sleep the jail had me in 23 hour a day lock down due to over crowding.....i had my leg in between the concrete wall & the steel bunk & was going to snap my legs to stop the bones from crawling & i was like wait this is not normal thinking. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. I got out on day 34 & redosed. It was a hard decision after being that far into the detox but would have got high that day anyways. The side effects i have is the constipation which gets real bad & the lack of sex drive. I could go months without even wanting to have sex or get an erection which is so embarassing having a super hot 21 year old fiance when i am 34. When i first got out i was able to have sex on demand. It does decrease the about a sperm too i notice. I guess its better then wasting all the time & money getting high & basically feeling the same way. I wouldnt wish detoxing cold turkey on my worst enemy. Oh i was only on 75 mg too when i detoxed but like i said had been doing opiates for 15 years, up until the methadone i was doing up to 2 grams of raw heroin a day just to be normal & sometimes 20 oc 80's on top. Bupe was also bad to detox from i detoxed from that in jail too off 24 mg a day & didnt sleep no kidding for like 2 weeks & didnt feel right for 9 months that i remained in jail with no meds after. My kids better not ever get into drugs i dont think i could take what i have put my family through. I lknow methadone alows me to lead a normal life as far as day to day working & **** which is a bonus. Thats my story thanks.
SO when you went in did you tell them you were on Meth? I feel your pain. Been there done that and got thru it and havent been back but not quite that extensive .Pure hell..Why the long running habit? Have you ever been clean adn out of pain at all since you were 18? I was for 8 yrs and then took precribed oxys for a bad back, 2 yrs run and im 3 days into it now, Quitting..
hearing  your story brings back F-ING nightmares of kicking in that hell hole they call los angeles county jail. the crazy thing is i would always use the minute i got out, man addiction is a scary thing. clean off meth now for i think 19 days, feel like siht ,no energy, very little sleep but STILL CLEAN for now.
yeah i told the jail the whole story. In vermont they are supposed to dose you if you have 30 days or less. O had exactly 30. They promised me & kept saying "should be tomorrow" which never came. Then on day 14 they gave me a handfull of all these stupid pills. I told them i need 50 cents worth of methadone! not $100 worth of pills costing tax payers. The outcome was they told me they did not have a contract in that part of the state to dose. U know vermont ...such a big state. unreal.
anyway ya my habit for opiates started young, i was injured snowboarding off a 15-20ft cliff at sugaerbush off the trails. Landed on my butt on solid ice. was fine Then 2 weeks later woke up & couldn't move. Normal story, got percocets, lortabs, Then oc's came out, i had started shooting heroin, never have snorted it. Was lucky to have always have a good job, until now.  this is first time i have ever been without a job. Scared of losing my house. Blah blah blah .... sorry to ramble, have a great day!
Yea i remember the pill thing ,helped a little with the runs and throwing up. Didnt do anything for the anxiety or pain..At that point i would take what  i could get, Good Luck with this thing, im day 7 now....