Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
detoxing off oxy. how much time will I be off work

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hello all.. my question is for anyone who has detoxed off Oxycontin.I am now taking three 80mg tabs per day about 1 every 8 hrs.I plan on going down to at least 2 per day before detoxing.I want to go to a VA detox unit. I work 8hrs a day 5 days a week and i want to take a weeks vacation that will give me 9 days off work is this enough time will i be able to go back to work that next Monday.I know this is going to be the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but I cant lose my job and I cant stay on this drug.HELP PLEASE............Dennis
Tags: detoxing
Hi There, I don't have experience with oxy's , but plenty on here do and will be along to help. My DOC was hydocodine, but I think opiates are all somewhat similar to kick. Have you been to the VA detox center to see what the set up is? It sounds like a good idea to have the medical help they can offer. How long were you taking these? Hang tight, more will be along to help. Keep reading these post and keep posting. It's great your wanting to get back to living a pill free life. xx
Welcome and I am glad to hear you are taking the first step to get your life back. Hey don't stress about it, if you take 9 days to get through w/d you should be OK. Although you will feel somewhat tired and weak but you should be able to handle it. I went back to work after about 8 days and it took me a couple of days to get back into the swing of things.
I think it depends on how long you were using and your age as well.  Have you got a set date for your holidays?  It would be a good idea to taper a little more if you have the time but if not then 10 days should be plenty of time.  If you are going to detox they will probably make sure you are getting lots of vitamins and eating.  Good luck
I want to thank you so much for your comment.I cant tell you how good it made me feel by your words (don't stress about it).I was almost scared to read the replies when I seenIi had two.This whole thing scares the you know what out of me,"witch I hear is one of the withdraw pleasentrees ."Thank You!
                                           Dennis
Have you checked out the VA detox??  They may have their own schedule.  I hope it works for you.  Have you been taking the oxy for pain?  Has it been prescribed??  More info can help with better support.  glad you are here, it is a great group and will support with good advice, pats on the back and sometimes a little tough love!
I have bin using for over 10 years.I was up to 7 80mg oxy per day.I would take 1 about every 4 hrs.through all this I have kept this from almost everybody that knows me.My wife is the only one who knows.I have no choice I must get off this crap and I am so looking forward to having my life back.I know with the kind of usage i was taking and the length of time i was taking i have a long road to ho.Thanks  for all your comments i need all the help i can get.
You can do it, I was on about the same dosage for 8 years and although it was no cake walk I made it through and so will you. Just keep posting here and hang in there it will be rough but I know you will make. If you need to talk you can pm me---Rick
So you have already cut back from 7 to 3-80's a day.  Good job.  You seem determined and you will do this.  You have a good plan in place going to detox.
To littlebit667 and whoever. i have never told a soul about what i am about to type.I have never bin prescribed one pill from a doctor, i have no pain and i never had to pay for a pill on the street.The hole thing was just to easy witch we all know is never good. i think i started taking them because it made the day go better.I have kind of a boring job and it made me work harder.I knew it was the wrong thing to do but before i wanted to stop i was already hopelessly hooked and ashamed and frightened,you name it i felt it. .  
It doesn't matter how you got there it only matters that you are taking the courageous steps to stop the madness. Addiction is Addiction and NO ONE here will ever judge you so don't hide your dirty little secret anymore rejoice in letting people know. Once you get through w/d we can talk about aftercare. God Bless---Rick
I must say it feels great to tell someone the truth.I will continue to post and it's good to have people who care and relate...........Dennis
Dennis I just replied to your pm check it out and I hope it helps---Rick
Thanks for sharing.  Secrets make us sicker.  Telling someone helps..at least it helped me.  Tapering is a great thing.  Do not judge yourself..we will not either.  I hope you find a way to get clean.  I think part of the reason I continued taking the pills I did not need was partly boredom, fear and depression.  It is the mental that is the hardest part to manage.  It takes awhile for the brain to reset from the pills.  Stick close to the board as you get there.  
I will.And thank you for your support.