detoxing off tramadol
anyone else out there quitting "cold turkey" off tramadol? it is day 3 for me,(I say day 3 because it usually doesn't bother me too bad the very next day) I do not feel too bad, but this is the third or forth attemt to quit. My last dose was the night of the 17th. The next day usually isn't terribly bad because it is still in my system but the second day, I have cold sweats and so on. I have another prescription available to me in 6 day's, I would like to let it go, but some how, I know I will get it and take it until it runs out again. Anyone else? I am taking way too many, day and night.
30 to 40 pills A DAY! And you blame the product? Unreal.
I am not directing this to anyone, just need to write it I guess.  I have been on pain meds for over two years.  I have terrible pain in my hip and back due to a deformity in one of my vertabral disk.  The doc put me on hydros. (750) I was supposed to take 1 every six hours.  I ended up needing more and more and would take like up to 10 on some days.  I was afraid of that and also always ran out early....PLUS anytime you get a pain med...even if you do need it...the pharms make you feel like a fugitive.  I got sick of that and when I finally saw a neurologist, she put me on Tramadol.  I was hooked immediately I think.  I thought it was great b/c it worked.  It gave me tons of energy.  Before that, I was lethargic all the time and depressed.  I have two kids to raise and couldn't do anything with them really.  so, the Tramadol also helped my pain really well, I'm supposed to take 6 per day...BUT I enevitably began taking more and more....I've taken as much as 20 in one day.  I lied to myself saying it's not that bad b/c it's not a narcotic.  NOW I wish I had just stayed on the hydros.  I get 180 Trams per month and I always run out early. ALSO forgot to say that I lost 45 pounds while on tram....been taking it for about 6 months.  So I ran out on Monday.  Today is Thurs.  I can get my refill on Sat.  I got Kratom b/c I knew I would run out of the Tram.  The Kratom helped me for the first two days.  This is the third day and I feel okay, but don't know if I can take the kratom again b/c it's SO NASTY!  I told my doc I thought I may (I know I am, but I told him I may be) be addicted to Tram.  He told me that I do really need it, so just keep taking my 6 and don't worry about it.  The problem is that you can't just stay on the same dose b/c it will stop working same as opiates always do and you always need more for the same pain relief.  Some of you may not understand this, but I'm a Christian and I feel a lot of guilt for depending on these pills to get me through a day when I should depend on God for that and it's like I'm a fake and a hypocrite.  So, part of me wants to be done and not get the refill.  The other part of me is afraid of the pain in my hip/leg b/c tylenol or ibuprophen never touch it and also I don't want to get fat again.  I know that's vain, but I gained so much weight when I got pregnant and after our 1st child, I found out my hus has a porn problem which (I know it's not my fault), makes a woman feel so like nothing.  So, I dont' know what to do.  I thought about maybe getting the pills and taking them like I'm supposed to...giving them to my husband to give me everyday...if I have them, I'll take them all.  I just want to feel good again, but I know being on pills is not the way to do it.  If any of you pray, please pray for me.
you are right about it being the abusers fault and not the drugs fault, but your attitude is kind of wrong.  For those who think Tramadol should be taken off the market, I do not agree.  It is a good drug and does help.  People who get easily addicted to stuff should not take it.  Bobby83's comment will probably make you mad, but he is right.  I will admit that I like the "high" feeling so I am prone to take anything that makes me feel this way.  He's also right about people like us making it hard for those who need these drugs to get them.  YOu should just try to understand Bobby83 that folks don't wake up one day and say, "I think I'd like to be a slave to pills."  It's something that tricks you into thinking you are in control when you so obviously are not.
I've been taking tramadol since thanksgiving,didn't think to go to the doctor after I got them from a relative,bad part my job did a suprise drug screening nd mine came back as an opiote,how do I get this out of my system,I'd rather deal with the pain than loose my job,somebody help,their giving me till next week.
im so proud and happy for you i really am
i have been on tramadol   for 5 years now and im on my 2nd day of cold turkey...i have fibromyalga and dont want any more narcotics..i am tryin to have a baby and cant with the medicines...and advise  i feel like im bout to die..
Hey misty - congrats for quitting.

And I know exactly how you're feeling right now and it's awful.  I remember very well.  I also quit cold turkey over a year ago and those early days were the worst.

The only thing I can offer for you right now is to just try and "sink" into the withdrawal - don't resist the symptoms or they'll only make them worst.  At least that's how it was for me.

Hot showers became my new best friend those first few weeks.  Sometimes up to 4 showers a night but they did provide relief - from the RLS and the anxiety, and I'd use epsom salts as a scrub to help with the joint pain and the salts also help to draw the toxins out of your skin.  The relief might only be temporary, which is why I'd take so many in a night, but they will help.

And remember to stay as hydrated as possible, apple juice seemed to be the easiest on my stomach, along with fruit smoothie drinks.  Hot tea with toast and peanut butter was also easy on my system, along with yogurt.  Just think bland food as I know your appetite probably isn't so great right now.

And in a few days, when you're feeling up to it, get to the drugstore and pick up the stuff you find listed on the thomas recipe and the amino acid protocol.  The stuff that worked the best for me was the daily multi-vitamin, the fish oil tablets, the b12 sublingual tablets, and I actually began taking the St. John's Wort too to help ward off the depression that often comes with tramadol withdrawal.  I took that for the first six months and I know it kept me from going through any real depression.  Oh and ImmodiumAD will help a lot for the GI issues.

And remind yourself, every single second if you have to, that what you're going through right now is actually GOOD for your body.  You're healing and the toxins are slowly leaving your system.  It's going to be painful for a while but it is SO worth it in the end I PROMISE you that.  Living life on tramadol was NO way to live, as I know you know that now.  I actually quit xanax (took that for 12 years) and the tramadol (took that for over 6 years up to 25 pills a day) - I quit both of them cold turkey on the same day.  I would NEVER recommend quitting a benzo like that as I've learned since then how dangerous that can be.  So it was only sheer luck that I didn't experience a seizure from quitting like that.

And lastly, GO EASY ON YOURSELF.  Take help where you can get it, DON'T expect to be in a good mood for a while and keep those  expectations on yourself really low for now.  I think the easier you are on yourself for these first few days, makes the whole process a bit more manageable.  I'm excited for you - and SO happy that you've decided to quit this awful drug.  The difference between how I feel today compared to how I felt on the tram is night and day.  There's no comparison and you're now on your way to find that out as well!  Good luck to you - keep posting and take it slow for now.  You'll get there.  :)
Sheesh - I'm sorry for such a long reply!!  I had no idea I was going on and on like that!  lol (oh and you may want to post a new thread of your own - this one is a little old and sometimes members don't always reply on the older threads).  :)
TRAMADOL IS REALLY HARD TO COME OFF OF... I TOOK IT YEARS AGO AND I WAS GOING THROUGH 120 PILLS A WEEK.. BUT AFTER A WHILE I STARTED GETTING HEADACHES AND THEY WERE CAUSED  BY THE TRAMADOLS AND THEY GOT SO BAD I COULDNT STAND IT ANYMORE... SO I PULLED OFF OF THEM MYSELF... I TOOK ALOT OF VITIMANS AND IT HELPED ME ... I CANT LIE IT WAS NOT EASY ... ACUTUALLY IT WAS VERY HARD IT TOOK ME 2WEEKS TO FEEL JUST NORMAL AGAIN BUT I WAS NOT SLEEPING AT ALL I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING CRAZY.... ANYWAYS I HAVE BEEN OFF OF THEM SINCE SO THIS IS POSSIBLE AND I AM A RN NURSE SO I KNOW MOST OF THE SYMPTOMS AND THINGS SO THAT DID HELP ME ... GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
My neuro dr gives me a script for like 270 tramies and I was taking up tp ten at a time. I wasn;t taking them everyday but I get severe migraines and bc I was on it for over one yr I had to take alot for them to work. I want everybody to know it is a scary drug I never thought anything would happen. About a week ago I had a bad migriane and took 8 50mg pills within a hort amount of time. Everything was going fine, was in bed about to go to sleep when I felt nausous (which happens alot to me). I went in bathroom and couldn't get sick so I went back in bedroom. I don't remember anything else. The next thing I remember was emt's and police in my house. My bf said I had a seizure for over 10mins. They took me to er and did alot of tests. I told them I don't do drugs but I told them I took alot of tramodol. They came in room and told me pcp was found in my urine. Honeslty I wouldn't even know where to get that type of drug. They made me feel a drug addict. We were all very confused. If you google it, if u take tramodol it shows up false positive for pcp in a  urine drug test. I was shocked. Then I saw so manyv vstories like me with the seizure and all. I'm tampering off slowly. I'm taking four a day but scared. I have not want to take this medication bc of what happened to me. St Johns wart seems to help with my mood adn detox tea helps with some uneasyness. Just wondering if anyone had anyother ideas. Please people be safe I am very lucky, it could have been worse. Drs over give it bc they say its not addicting but its a very dangerous drug. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.
I was reading this after googling that I need help detoxing from tramadol.  Believe me, I totally undertand where you're coming from.  I have went one day without any and then my order would come in and take them right away.  Have you ever fully detoxed from them?  I've heard it takes a long time, unlike other pills.  Do you take anything to help during the process?  I am trying to ween of them now but its almost like I just need to quit cold turkey in order to be -DONE!  It truely *****!  I don't want to be an addict anymore.  My kids, husband, myself..all sffering and all I can think about is the next shipment.  It's my fault and I get that but, the only reason, I started getting these, initally was my dr was going to put me on a hard core pain narcotic and I wanted something that wasn't so addicting and tramadol is what he gave me.  I've been on it for about three years now and I want my life back.  I  know what you mean about the, no support.  Honestly, my husband is military(we live on a army post) and have three young daughters. None, of my family is here.  Havent made friends that I truely trust enough to talk to.  My husband does what he can but for the most part, his hands are tied.  Would love to do a rapid detox but, who can afford that?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?
I agree that some have let this addiction get out of hand. Please keep in mind that that is not the case with everyone. I am 35 years old and I have had 5 knee surguries and multiple others as well. I was diagnosed with arthristis through out my body about a year and half ago. I am hyper sensitive the meds so I am super careful with narcotic pain meds. I rare finish my scrips after a surgury and try to cut pills in half if possilbe to take less. My doctor prescribed Tramadol for me a year and a half ago for chronic joint pain. 50 mg 3 times a day as needed. I am the mother of small children I choose not medicate unless I just can't avoid it. But struggle with sleeping due to pain. So I only take them at night before bed. I take 150 mgs at night before bed thats it. Over the last year I have  been to a cardiologist I was referred to from my reg doctor due to experiencing symtoms irradic heart beat, fainting, nausea, loss of appetite, muscle spasms, ear ringing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, diarreah and several other symptons. Upon receiving my script I was told that this was a non-narcotic so it was safe! MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT! So when I returned to him with all these symptoms he sent me to a cardio specialist. I had to wear a heart monitor for a month. They found nothing.
But then last week my insurance called and asked if I would switch to their mail in pharmacy as it was more financially beneficial. I agreed and they said that they will mail out new scrip in about a week. Well I ran out of my reg scrip 4 days ago. I just figured I could work through the pain till my meds came. I can not describe how horrible I have felt the last four days. I literally hurt everywhere, I ache and am lethargic with no energy. I have a headache, shakes and I haven't slept in four days. Complete insomnia.  I could not figure out why I felt this bad. Never occurred to me that it could be the meds. my doctor said they were safe. It dawned on me this morning that it has been 4 days since my last dose or slept since. This alarmed me enough that I got online and did a little research only to find out this is very addictive and that I have ALL the side effects and the withdrawl as well. How did this happen? I am so careful. Still I had doubts so I called my mom we talked for a long time and decided to go call in rx to refill and then ween off. I picked up the scrip at 4pm today and took one right then within 45 mins I was feeling better not just pain level went down but all other symtoms too. This pretty much has me convinced that my body is addicted to this medicine. AND THAT SOME HOW MY DOCTOR DID THIS! I don't abuse it at all and still I find myself in this situation. I managed to have over 8 surguries where they gave me opiates/narcotics to recover and never aquired an addiction but somehow managed it with Tramadol. The withdrawal from this is BRUTAL. I have children and cannot survive 4 days without sleep. I am beyond exhausted just trying to make it through the day. So please try not to be judgemental addiction is hard and I guess I never realized how hard until today. I have set up a calendar with my husband to detox slowly and ween myself off then I am going to get a new doctor and see what we can do for my chronic pain. I hope there are some alternatives out there that will work out better for me. Thanks all of you for sharing your experiences I had no idea how bad this was.
I understand exactly what you are going thru April. Over the last 5 years, I have been on and off this horrible medicine many times. It is the worst feeling, especially the lack of sleep and the restless legs. Towards the end, I was eating 300 to 400 mgs 3 or 4 times a day. This wasn't to get high, it was simply to ease the pain from a spine accident due to a motorcycle wreck.
It is imperative that you get off Tramadol if you want a normal life back as it only gets harder and harder to come off of and the pain will last longer next time. I had found some relief with GABA.. Find a herbal store and tell them your problem. They can be very helpful. If need be, replace it with another opioid antagonist for a little while. Tell your doctor and maybe he will have knowledge of something new. If no success, please taper off by ONLY using 1/2 tab for a week or two, then even less. Don't take it for pain, take it only to reduce the detox symptoms. THERE IS AN END TO THIS... God Bless
Wondering how you guys are doing?  This is my 2nd day off of them and i have a bit of vertigo, shaking, didn't sleep last nite.  Had to leave work today, didn't feel well at all.....
i have been taking  tramadol for eight years.  my dr never told me that when i try to stop it would be like living in a nightmare.  i was taking up to 600mgs a day and about a year ago i had enough of that and i bagan to wean myself off of them.  i am now down to 75mgs a day and i am having the hardest time getting off of even that small amount.  what can i do to relax myself at night to get some sleep. my dr has given me some zolof to help with the legs shaking but i am scared as hell that i am going to be addicted to that too so i am suffering suffering. any advise.

I feel your pain aprils22 and all......
You might not understand that alot of people have been prescribed ultram/tramadol for months for ie broken bone, car accident, surgery, etc. The patient decides, on his on, he or she doesn't wish to depend on meds no matter how bad the pain is. You stop taking them, period! The doctor, being the idiots that they are, don't tell you not to do that bc they don't understand how horrible this drug really is. It's day 4 or 5, you can't sleep, you can't get your temperature right, you feel weird, crazy, not right....you don't know what's wrong with you!!!! You go on the Internet and start looking aroung and discover you are having freaking withdrawal symptoms!!!! You are not a drug addict and you freak out. You go tell your doctor and instead of helping you, he puts it down in your permanent medical record and it's there forever. Paints you as the person with the problem... Yes, sometimes, ppl are just drug abusers. But sometimes it happens to normal ppl who have no desire to be on drugs. Doctors need to be better educated about the dangers of tramadol. It's effects are far worse than other pain meds. It affects your seratonin and dopamine parts of your brain in a way Percocet and Vicodin could never do. I wish everyone the best of luck in tapering off this horrible meducation. I'm working on my tapering off. I'd like to slap my DR right in this face, haha!
I too was prescribed Tramodol from my doctor for about 4 yrs.  I started getting really bad headaches that made me sick, while driving one day too.  When I mentioned this to my doctor she said I was overusing pain killers.  I thought......'What! I'm overusing pain killers that you have prescribed, I am overusing'  I felt that I'd done something wrong like abusing them or something.  I used to take 300mg a day as prescribed by my doctor but now I'm overusing!!!!!  Anyway, she took them off my prescriptions, that was it, no more Tramodol.
It has been 5 weeks on the 30 April since I took a tramodol, I don't have headaches anymore which is fab but I think I have only had about 2 nights where I have slept right through the night.  I still get those horrid, horrid muscle spasms & they start when I am ultra relaxed.  When will this stop.
I have tried nytol, nite nurse & herbal remedies to help me sleep, nothing works.
You are right, the doctors don't explain that this drug is a nasty drug & you'll have a hard time coming off it once it starts making you sick.
I only take paracetamol now for the pain, does it work? I'm not sure but with Tramodol, I could hop, skip & jump.  I can't do that anymore.  But I wouldn't go back onto Tramodol & I would definately do my reseach before I am put on any other tablet wich I'm trying to avoid.
Good luck to you & everyone else who is trying to come off Trammy's..  
I to was addicted to tramadol and loratab10/500. I was on them for about 3 years before I accepted the fact I was abusing them. I was taking about 8-9 tramadols 50mg a day and 8-9 loratab 10 aday. I know, its a lot. The doctor told me I had several things wrong with my back. After sometime I ask for the paperwork showing what was wrong with my back and legs and she couldn't produce it so I said enough was enough. I had bad headaches and muscle aches aswell. It was a long and hard recovery and still battle it to this day and it has been 2 years this month. During the withdrawl stages  I didn't sleep, had terrible anxiety and just aggitated all the time an dno energy what so ever. BENEDRYL works. Take two 1 hr before bed.  Benedryl helps relieve symtoms of drug abuse. The recovery is faster if you use this products. Anything for motion sickness helps to. My doctor gave me Atarax. He said it was the same thing as benedryl. It makes you sleepy and calms you down without the addiction. I used it for a few weeks and was too drowsy so I got benedryl and its perfect. $2 at Walmart gets you many nights of rest and after about 4 days your energy starts to come back. You actually rest and don't toss and turn and wake up in pain. Good luck, hope it works for you
i started tramodol 3 months ago and I am only on 100mg a day. I want to quit but every time I stop for the first day i get these shocks through out my head. Is that normal? Does it pass? Oh and it does help with my depression cuz the first day I took them I felt like super woman. Please help I want to stop and Im scared
Hi Rez,
I started on my Tramadol a few weeks ago to ease my symptoms from OXY withdrawals. SO today was supposed to be day 2 of coming off of both cold turkey, but I caved and got my Tramadol prescription refilled. I don't know how you could handle multiple withdrawals, they suck. ANyway I am right back in it again and feeling lost. I am going to an NA meeting tonight trying to get some clarity. I really want to quit both of these. Last week i started taking both knowing I was going to do cold turkey this week. It's just so dissapointing, what did you tell yourself when you would relapse?
Randy
wow this site helps alot its unblieveable the support u feel here i started from the top comments(older ones)and got so into it that its been hrs that i decided to stop reading for now. but i wonna thank everyone...Iam on day 3 of 4-5 pills a day at 50mg cold turkey uffff it is very hard but can be done as i feel tinybit better everyday but only the strogest survive and i hope i do.. so i moved to texas about 3 months ago from florida and this week i was finally was able to get insured and go to a doc out here but they couldnt give me a refill cuz they didnt have my records and it would take hrs they said but i was already on day 1 so i just wanted to break down and cry due to that i been on tramadol for 2yrs and i didnt know what i would do without or how i would feel. everyday it was something different on to why they could not prescribe they treated me like a addict cuz they knew i was addicted and that for me was so hard to accept (that i was an addict) i felt like i wasnt normal untill i got on here..I have never been addicted to anything and i have only tried pot when a teen and didnt like it and never tried any other drugs and i was sooo proud of that cuz ive been around alot of addicts in my life including my husband who is a recoving addict from a realllyyyyyy bad heroin habit from  before i met him methadone is what works for him but any how eventho i was the only person to ever believe in him and his only tru support i never did understand the W/D thing i thought he exagarated a lil and would always tell him i.e "u could get off the meth if u wanted it enough" and etc ..(after yrs of him being on it and addicted to it not at first)  but even giving him my support i never really understood..but boy i soon as i felt addiction to the tramadol  i knew what he meant especially now but thank God hes is helping me and doing everything he can to help(when he gets off work) taking care of the kids,cooking,groceries etc.. i truly have a bigger bond with him now cuz i finally understood and now hes there for me i think this had to happened so i can truly help others one day but with full understanding...the hardest part thru these days is that my husband works first shift iam a stay at home mom of 3 lil kids and going thru this and having to take care of them while hes at work is sooooo hard and so depressing to look at my kids as i lay on the couch all day and watch them play and want me to go with them or look at something since i have always been an active and excellent mother and housewife ..its so hard to do this with them but iam being strong and taking care of them and they just think i got back pain like always.. thats how i got started on the tramadol....God bless everyone..to those getting off good luck and to those already FREE CONGRATS i wonna get there woohoooo lol take care guys
So , for hip and knee pain i was prescribed tramadol 10 years ago i took two 50 mg caps 3 times a day along with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

5 years ago i reduced my dose to 1 50mg cap 3 times daily

i dont take them now for real pain i take them because without them i have the worse pain ever caused by them lol.

i cant pin point where i feel the pain its just right up and down my legs in my brain and everything its so bad

i can cut down to two a day and be a bit miserable  

cold turkey is the way ive came off alcohol and codeine and valium ive been off them for years , i dont crave tramadol it doesnt give me a hit , i just take it because without it im in so much pain

ive managed 2 days off them before i just wish someone can tell me how long the pain will last when going cold turkey _
Idk know where to begin!! I can't even believe i have ever became this way.  I'm now up to 14 to 16 pills a day! My son passed away 2 years ago 6-22-10  at 2months and 20 days old due to suffocation while sleeping at the babysitters.  I was in the process of weaning myself off with the help from my doctor when my son passed away, then I didnt care about quitting in fact I got worse an it spiraled out of control. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow who thinks i have overcome this. So i'm ashamed to tell her all about this. I get perscribed 240 a month from the pain clinic due to back issues.  They dont even last me a month mayb they last 2 and a half weeks. Smh, So i'm going to go to my doctor and see what she can do to help my anxiety and sleeplessnes that I will have quitting cold turkey starting Thursday.  Which is the last day that I quit working at my job that I have been at for almost 7 years. I'm getting a much higher paying job, and i want a fresh start with my life. I take this **** just to make me feel normal...it doesnt make me high even a little bit, I cant stand the feeling of being high. Narcotics I couldnt take like the tramadol because they do alter my moods.  I'm just really scared and I'm really excited at the same time. I'm so ready to rid this drug from my life. I have 2 wonderful children they are my entire world, my life, and a wonderful amazing loving husband... and I have to do this for them and also for me.  I know it has to start with me but they are my motivation. I have a wonderful support system i ahev the best sister and the best daddy anyone could ever ask for. They play a major part in my life. I love this website to find others like myself to know I'm not alone. If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it!!
hi there can u help me please
What you need to keep in mind is that tramadol works through different mechanisms. While it does bind to opiate receptors, it also inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine -- a mechanism similar to certain antidepressant medications. Some of the withdrawal symptoms described here sound like they are related to abrupt discontinuation syndrome, a set of symptoms associated with a drop in levels of these neurotransmitters secondary to abrupt discontinuation of these types of antidepressants. Mood disturbances can include dysphoric or depressed mood, emotional lability, irritability, anxiety, and profound fatigue. Peripheral symptoms may include dizziness, electric shock-like sensations called paresthesias, and ringing of the ears. This is the reason why taking an opiate, such as Vicodin described in an earlier post, did little to quell the symptoms. Vicodin does not affect the activity of these neurotransmitters.

Tramadol is well known for its antidepressant activity, but it's opiate activity limits its usefulness as an antidepressant. If you believe you need an antidepressant, and tramadol has helped you, you might ask your doctor to prescribe one of several available drugs that possess the same antidepressant activity, but without the opiate activity. Some of those drugs are Cymbalta, Effexor, and Pristiq.

I have just detoxed off of Benzos and am taking 100mg of tramadol for chronic pain.  Sometimes none.  I need to get off this drug but am afraid.  any information would be very helpful
I am on day 3 with very little to no tramadol. Yesterday and last night was hell. I woke up this morning in a complete sweat. I usually take 400mg or more a day. And I dropped to 50mg 3 days ago. Yesterday I took none and today I took 1 50mg with no help. I have arthritis in my knees and I am feeling the pain coming back. The tramadol is like wd40 for my knees it takes the pain away and I can get through my day like normal. I felt like I was getting addicted because I was taking 8 pills a day or more and I was like whoooa. So I stopped and now I realized what the fuss is about. IT *****.. Now I am starting to feel a little better as far as the withdrawls 3rd day, but the pain in my knees is back. I have been on Tramadol for about 2yrs because nothing over the counter worked anymore. Aleeve worked for awhile but I was taking too many. So I told my Doctor I wanted something that I would not get addicted to and that I could focus and not be "dopped up" while at work. That is how I got started on Tramadol.

Coming from a family of addicts I was blessed with not having the addict gene as I do not drink or do illegal drugs like most of my family either did and died or they are in AA meetings with years of sobriety. So with the docotrs adivse I started Tramadol. And it was great the pain was gone I could go through my day with no pain. I want to be pain free without being dependant on a drug and at this point I am at a crossroads, either deal with the pain and continue not taking the Tramadol since I am at the end of the withdrawls or start taking it again to get rid of the pain.....
I AM AddICTED REALLY BAD AS WeLL, I  GO THROUH 60 TRAMADOLS IN 2-3 DAYS,  I WANT TO GET OFF THEM SOOO BAD. I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW AS I HAVE 2 BABYS AND I AM SCARED OF THE WITHDRAWL SYMPTOMS BECAUSE OF THEM
How many mgs per day would you say you were taking?  I do 800.  Started at 300, that didn't do  anything, so I upped it.  Not too bright but that's where I,m at
I've been off/on Tramadol for 6yrs. I'm finally over it. I want to be the master of my body and there are many other ways to feel good. I took 8/day (was on 2/day for yrs but the hunger keeps growing little by little) and now I'm cold turkey day-3. From my experience there is no difference in withdraw from 1pill/day to 8pills/day. It ***** hardcore. I have a friend who was on 60/day and quit cold turkey too. He said he cried for 3 days, then was better (doctor told him he should be dead so if your that far you need to see a good doctor please). I hate to say it but I'm sorta a veteran with all this and I have a few tips for everyone.

1. Get a script for restless legs syndrome and take it for the first 2 or 3 days (don't get hooked on it). This will help. You will still toss and turn a lot but it's manageable, and you don't feel like your muscles are crawling and spasming as much.  

2. Go to a Health-food store and load up.
Lemon balm oil - (natural Xanax) was the best
Magnesium
Holy Basil - also helps lift your spirits
St.Johns Wart - help you relax
D 3
Omega 3
(These are not a super quick fix but will help trust me)
3. Also
Benadryl Gel caps to help you sleep but i think they also gave me a headache
Nyquil (don't take too much, but it can help you the first few nights)
Diarrhea Tablets - some people get this reaction some don't
Drink TONS of water to flush your system and I even use the Detox Tea

Next is the emotional problems. This to me is the worst. All I can say is IT WILL NOT LAST!!!! IT IS NOT FOREVER!!! and IT"S NOT YOU, ITS THE DRUGS LEAVING YOUR BODY. You will wake up soon and feel good again. I know this is easier said than done but don't let your mind wander down crappy roads. Stop it, slap some cold water on your face or take a hot shower and keep telling yourself you are in boot-camp and soon you will be on the other side and feel very good again (with healthy diet and exercise)

Once you feel physically up to it and as soon as possible get on a treadmill or something because this will REALLY help! You will release your own natural pain meds into your body after a hard sweat and leave there feeling really good. This surprised me the first time I tried it. I was feeling like death and thought what the hell I'll try it and WOW!

Lay out in the sun (or tanning booth) this will lift your mood too.

I can't say it enough that you have to keep a strong mind. Don't watch any emotional movies, don't think about past romance or deceased family or pets. Don't go through the old family album. KEEP GUARD over your mind for a week. It will pass. You will come out in the end feeling really good I promise.

The good thing with Tramadol is it never really lets you get too down in the dumps, the problem I've learned is that it also never really lets you get all that happy or excited in life. My goal now on day 3 of my last spout with this drug is to get in a gym and if nothing else get a walkers high and start feeling really good like I used to before the LIE of drugs was introduced into my life. Ever wonder why it always seems the happiest people are the ones who exercise and don't do drugs, yet we take them to be happy but aren't? I read somewhere that something like 80% of people on narcotics are only taking them to not feel withdraw with no more benefits. Its a huge decision but please don't be another sad story of a life in chains. We can do better! Jesus called me to a better life and I'm taking it. But man withdraw really hurts :)

One last thought. The pain you feel is normal and everyone goes through the same crap. It's not unique to you so don't feel alone!

hello im jamie i am on my 3rd day of cold arkey from tramadol **** so hard to run a house hold and to detox i was first on them about 4years ago cause i have had surgery on my lower back and i got them i feel so alone and i cant do this cold turkey so im just getin a script to go down slowly i really wanna be normal for the sake of my love ones im tryin to be strong
If I relapsed on tramadol after 36 hours clean, did I just start the processs all over again?
Im totally hooked on tramodols.  Ive had maybe 6 a day for the last four days...I have about 6 left total...Im freaking out.  the 6 im taking isnt enough..im anxious...sleepless...in pain all over..mainly my legs.  Im scared to death...Im out...im tired of this...I dont want to do it anymore...any way to detox my system or any sleep aids helpful??  I took melotonin and valerien root last night..still I only slept a few hours.  I started seeing an acupuncture dr. to help with physical pain..and Ive been told fish oil is the way to go...4grams a day to assist with pain...and to tell you the truth its only been two days since I took fish oil and its noticeably better.  Still I cant tell you how bad the anxiety and sleeplessness is !!! I need a little help.  thanks!
you really made some sense!!! Im so thankful you took the time to write tips down and suggestions for those of us still battling!! Thank you so much.
Hi blondy740 and welcome!  
So glad you found this site; there are lots of people here that have experienced what you are going through and can help out with information and support as you go through this process.  I took Tramadol for a long time (over 15 years), and can totally relate to how you are feeling right now.  I would be happy to share some suggestions of things that helped me get through the detox and withdrawal.  How long have you been taking it and how much were you taking?  Are you getting it from your doctor?  The anxiety and restlessness are really common w/d symptoms, which fortunately do not last for more than a few days once you have quit completely.  Are you planning to quit cold turkey (you mentioned you only have 6 left).  The post above with the tips is from 2012 (this is an older thread).  It does have some good suggestions.  You may also want to check out the Thomas Recipe (click on the link on the bottom of this page - right side); it is a 'protocol' for opiate withdrawal and has lots of good information and  helpful remedies.  You can also start a new thread (and will likely get more responses to your individual questions) by clicking on "Post a question" in the brown box at the top of the page.  And/or I'd be happy to help you out w/some suggestions, send me a message any time.  Tramadol is a tough med to withdraw from; it does not let go easy.  But it can be done - and you sound like you are ready!  In any case, you have found the right place - you are not alone in this :)
Julie
I am on day five of quitting Tramadol 'cold turkey.' As a former runner with bad knees, I began using Tramadol to prolong the running of marathons. That was four years ago. On average I use take 90 50mg in a week not to continue running (gave that up 3 years ago), but because I can't function without it. Last Friday morning I decided to quit and flushed remaining tablets 'down the drain.'

Friday was not too bad. Saturday and Sunday were terrible. I missed my granddaughter's birthday and father's day brunch (I told all that I have the flu) and barely managed to get out of bed (except to run to the bathroom every hour or so). Today is much better. No sweats/shaking, greatly reduced sense of anxiety or sudden urges to use the bathroom.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! I refuse to relapse and order more Tramadol via the internet. Good luck to all who take the brave step to quit. You can do it.
Hi all. I hope there are still people checking back to this thread as I could do with some advice. I'm on 400mg of slow release Tramadol a day and the only advice I've been given by my Dr is to gradually reduce the dose. I've been on tram for 3 years and finding it extremely difficult to cut back even a little bit as it makes me feel so awful.
If your still on here iam about to stop taking tramadol last time I did I went 5 days an still felt horrible just like a detox off any other opiate
I can't ween myself down
My question is how long did it take you to detox an has your wife done it
dear joe357:
this was helpful. i felt i was reading a day in the life of "me".. it go for the energy boost after the accident and that was about 2 years ago.. it was easy to get via my GP & it is not a red flag opiate. i took 2 tabs of tramadol with my coffee on the train to work and by arrival i was ready to get down to business.

i only take 300mg a day & was shocked when someone suggested I go to the hospital to detox (10 days and you are locked into the hospital). It just felt medieval (this is germany by the way)

i will take your TAPER advice & realise that i need other forms of energy givers .. like regular sport, etc.
I am so glad I have found you all...
I am sooo badly addicted... and have no idea where to go... to talk to... i think, as you may all understand...if you have never suffered.. trudged thru an ailment like this... then one can hardly relate. my friend just says, " just ******* quit."
Its been seven and a half years... I tried to quit cold turkey... three weeks ago.. oh my goodness what a nightmare.
Fast heartbeat... anxiety... hot flashes, cold flashes, restless leg... mood is AWFUL. my poor fiance. he has no idea. and I snap at him.
I would take hot baths... those exacerbated the withdrawals.
I actually went into a detox a few years ago...it was a state program... and sadly enough... one of the male nurses gave me what he claims ambien... but having been prescribed that for a long time... I know damn well it wasnt... i became so dizzy, I felt like I drank a gallon of whiskey... passed riiight out... then at 3 am wide awake.
my detox was odd... I shared a bathroom with men... men on my floor, next room... as a 36 year old woman.. ( at that time I was 33, 34) i didnt find the situation comfortable... and because we abuse Tramadol.. ( I guess that isnt the drug o'choice) they had no idea to treat me.
It was awful.
and im scared to go back to that kind of environment
so, my addiction is killing me... mentally, physically... I am just so scared.
I take... i'd say 10 50 mgs a day... sometimes more... and some less.
its out of control.
reading some of your posts just now made me feel... relieved... and intimidated.
How can I do this?
I was just laid off... so, my depression is full boar.. I find myself just doing... walking circles.
How do you get your mind off of those withdrawals?
Please, if anyone can.. words of advice.. i am so scared... Id be forever grateful... i just need someone in my corner.. that i guess.. understands.
I wish all o f you... heartfelt luck... and success.
Best.. anne
How you holding up? I am on day 4 and I can't say I like it...300mg for 9 months dosent even seem very long by a long shot. Good luck everyone.
Tramadol you dirty little ****...I am soon to be 56 yrs and have not had any interaction with dope since the early 80's...yippy that was fun and the hungover empty feelings were just a shared nudge nudge wink wink when one ran into old friends from that era...getting older, need a new hip but have to wait the doc says...okay how do I put up with the constaint pain is high on my list...not to worrie there is this new med called Durela...it works and boy did it..the pain is mostly gone and I can sleep for the first time in months...november rolls around and its time to get back to mexico and once there you know you can get pain reliefe from brujas there...so I get as many tramadol as I need to get me to mexico...good to be back...good old safe meds in mexico do the trick and I am fine...untill the second day...grab yer ancles cause here comes the train...day 2 is laying in bed shaking so violently and for so long, so damn much shaking...this will go on forfucking ever...everyone is freaked but none more than me...sleep is forgotten memory and now my brain is smoking...people, freinds for years look at me but not everyone wants to get too close because of the brain zaps...now through days 3,4, and 5 no sleep and the dumb **** that goes along with that...in my mind I have built an advertiseing campain for a non exsistant company ands its clear that it cannot fail...hallusonations also a fun little zap for most of one night...morning of day 6...a bit of sleep,2 hrs now in 6 days, makes me want to go outside and not get the rope this time...there is hope.
For me it has been very much like going on a nice trail ride but once you payed the man and want to get of the horsy this dirty and nastiest of all rodeo is just to begin and you are glued to the bucken bronk...well go **** yourself horsy I am going to run you into the ground!!!
Hi all , I've been taking di-hydracodine and tramadols at times when I had no codeine left for many of years now and taken only 1 yesterday and now im in my first day without any , usually take about 10 Di-hydrocodiene a day how long will my physical symptoms last HELPP PLS ....!!! I'VE got cold sweats and cramps at minute ,can any1 give me any advice , email is ***@**** thanks people and STAY STRONG I'm trying lol
Lee, I know what you're going through.  I'm on day 7 w/o the trams.  I was taking 10 50 mg tabs a day and I quit CT.  I've been dependent on Vicodin, Norco and Trams on and off over the last 5 years with Trams being the hardest as far as the WD symptoms.  I'm not one who can taper so CT was the only option.  All I can say is that these pills change peoples personalities.  Although you may like the feeling while you're on them, you are not the person you were when you were clean.  As far as the WD symptoms, the cramps and sweats should start to subside after days 5 or 6.  I went through the sweats, severe cramps, severe chest pains and bathroom issues.  Make sure you try to eat each day, drink lots of water, have Imodium on hand and what really helped me was taking a probiotic for the stomach issues.  When on these pills, your digestive system really takes a hit and you need to get the good digestive enzymes back to where they used to be.  Also, hot baths are awesome for the muscle cramps.  The physical symptoms are only the beginning, you really need to be thinking of aftercare as well, like a good addiction support group.  If I can help, just message me anytime and I'll do my best to help you through with what you're going through.  I've been there, done that :).  Dave
Wanted to welcome you to the forum (welcome you back Dave) and suggest that you both post a new comment/question which will get you both on the current activity forum page.  This thread started back in 2007 and not too many people are still around.

There are a lot of recovering tramdol warriors on this forum....lots of help specific to tramadol.  There's even an ongoing journal where just tram warriors talk back and forth to each other if interested.

Hope you'll both start a new thread of your own....this holiday weekend may be a bit slow....but somebody's usually awake and ready to help.
I would like to apologize for my English. I live in London  three years ago. I use tramadol for over 5 years, I have cancer and it make me unbearable pain all over my body. I would like to stop this but I use this medicine 1200 mg \ day. I often run out but I am scared to go to the ER, ask for a new prescription. I am getting 200 pieces every month. I do not know what to do, I think I will commit suicide tonight. I am 34 years old, and I have nothing in my life only this stupid drug.Please help someone.
Welcome to the forum~  No need to apologize...your English is GREAT!!

This is an older thread and not a lot of the forum members that posted here are still around.  If you can go to the top of this page and find the orange post a question button....then put your comment there...it will get more visibility and more people can comment and help you.

I am sorry you are in pain and to learn of your cancer.  It seems that maybe you need to talk to the dr. that prescribes the tramadol and tell them it isn't taking care of your pain.  They can give you something different that might control your pain.  If you are suicidal....please DO go to the ER and talk to someone.  You shouldn't have to suffer.
Please try and post this again by going to the orange post a question tab....it will actually start your very own thread where many people can see what you are going through and respond.
You life is WORTH living....even if you don't feel that way right now....I remember feeling that way too.....but my head was fogged with drugs when I was thinking that way.  
Hope to hear more from you...hang in there.....you are worth it~