Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
detoxing off tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

detoxing off tramadol

anyone else out there quitting "cold turkey" off tramadol? it is day 3 for me,(I say day 3 because it usually doesn't bother me too bad the very next day) I do not feel too bad, but this is the third or forth attemt to quit. My last dose was the night of the 17th. The next day usually isn't terribly bad because it is still in my system but the second day, I have cold sweats and so on. I have another prescription available to me in 6 day's, I would like to let it go, but some how, I know I will get it and take it until it runs out again. Anyone else? I am taking way too many, day and night.
there have been people pass thru that were coming off Tramadol/Ultram. i understand that it acts like an opiate. so withdrawl (withdrawal) should be the same as all pain meds. if you are on day 3 you are almost there with the physical parts. hold on another few days. there is light at the end of the tunnel. and welcome you are in the right place.
I've been on a duragesic fentanyl patch for over 7 years, and am trying to get off it.
I've cut back from 2 100's every other day, and am now down to 1 100 every 3 days.
The first day I was so happy...at first.  I thought, well, this is really nothing until that afternoon, and the following days.  
Then I found out what its all about.  At first it just messed with my head, and some of my body.
But now I'm experiencing periodic sharp pains, and would sure like to be over it.
I'm thinking maybe cold turkey would be best just to be over it, but its kind of tough.
Any way I hope the best for you.
eek do not try cold turkey after 7 yrs... I have been on tramadol off and on for 3 years. I say off and on because when the scrip run's out is is usually for about 2 weeks, then I get it again. I sure wish I was strong anough to not get the scrip I have coming in 5 or 6 day's.
Tapering off, weening yourself is best way, unless ther is ultra rapid detox, which, I do nont know about you, but I KNOW I cannot aford. I do not have a good support team here to help me. My husband is an alcholic (spledd right of course). Good luck,
Thank you
I have become addicted to tramadol as well, I originally got the prescribed by the doctor/dentist after repeated surgeries and infections spreading to the jaw bone. I am trying to taper with not as much success as I had hoped for, I am terribly afraid of the W/D by going cold turkey, I have tapered down from 12 a day to six a day, but it is hard to get any lower than that. I have some days taken 10 again, so I am having to start all over again on the taper. How many tramadols have you been taking a day. Please post again with an update on your progress. Good luck.
Minnie
I am in the third day of detoxing from tramadol and hydros (10/325).  I would take the hydros until they ran out (can go through 120 in a little over a week), then I would take the tramadol until they ran out (about 120 in a week), then I would be on the hunt for more.  I started taking them for legitimate pain, now it is because I need them.  I am miserable, not sure which I'm withdrawing from or which one is the worst.  How long does this last?
how long have you been on both? it is a mix of both that is making you feel so yucky.  I tried to use hydro 10 to get me through the tramadol detox, no such luck. I just took those in a matter of a week, like you said. I get a prescrip of tramadol's 240 that is suppose to last all month. It last 2 weeks at most. I have been off of them for a few days then my husband would have a scrip for them, and he didn't use them or even know he had them, so I would use his. My doc actually gives me 11 refils on them, I have been on for 3 yrs now. It usually takes 3 day's to feel somewhat human, but then the depresseion kicks in. (which crazy enough my doc says I can use these to help my manic depression, when used correctly)The cold sweats will hit you, you will probably not be able to sleep well. After day 4 or 5 you should be home free. I don't know about the depression side of it tho.
good morning to all.... so far beside the vertigo, depression not too terribly bad considering I am manic depressive and off tramodol. I still have that refil I can get in 3 day's. I am fighting that. Hope everyone is doing okay. Thanks to everyone for the support and feedback
my wife started taking tramadol abt 5yrs ago for her fibermayalga her dr. prescribed 150 per month for 1yr and then i started taking them too for no reason just liked the feeling I've never taken prescriptsion drugs before i started taking tramadol. then i got in a motorcycle accedent (motocross) and i got my own script 180 per month by then my wifes script was up to 240 per month from us sharing  then i got mine upt to 240 per month thats 480 a month after doing that for a while we were just trying to make our scripts last as long as possible when we would first get our scripts we take 14 to 16 aday until we got low, this went on for years i would have to detox sometimes cause we would be so low that i couldnt take anymore cause my wife really needed them so i would detox for 2or 3 days until one of us got our refill i would even detox at work (not fun) and aventullay i got more presribed by my dr. 120 more a month and that still wasnt enough so i would detox and quit for like a month but get right back into it. its been over six months since my last dosage and man i feel great but my wifes still struggling to quit shes never even tried to since she started but today is her 3rd day in over 5yr that she hasnt taken any oh yea every time i quit in the past its been cold turky including the last time i dosed my went cold turky to. so it is possible you can do it if you can tough it out for about 3 days your home free first day isnt so bad its the second and third that are hard it will be very hard to sleep hot and cold sweats anxiety shakes etc. but you can do it on your own if anyone has any question about tramadol or ultram please reply i would love to help.  
from tramadol, now down to 75 mg's/day, been there for +2 weeks and cant seem to taper further w/o the anxiety/panic attacks. Been taking all of that otc stuff along with klonopin and Ambient CR for sleep, still no help. 2 tabs per day and I'm A-ok, less than that, life is hell. Spoke to the doc and he said that if 2 tabs works for me, then why quit? He wants me to stay on 2 tabs/day, The devil reincarnate!

So here I am, lost and confused, with no plan on hand, but sitting on perhaps hundreds of tramadol in my back office....I think that I can maintain 2 tabs a day now, and feel good an productive, But I want to be clean but know not how to!

Please help!
-Vic
just stay on the 2 for a while ..take some of the pressure off yourself then after a while (like a month) then try to drop a half agian . You will get it .Just takes as long as you need .
avis
vic, if your taking 2 trams aday and thats 75mgs of ultram it sounds like your taking ultracet, which has a lower amount of ultram than tramadol. but as bad as it sounds 2 ultracet aday isnt that bad so don't beat yourself up. but that dr. should of gave you better advice than that somtimes i think they get bonus checks from the fda lol.usually when your taking trams or other opeites your always increasing the doses so i think your doing a great job if you can maintain on just 2 aday. when you drop your doses its a very stressfull time so the next time you try to quit plan it out take time for you and get support from the person or people close to you, take time off work if you need, seek better medical advice, or research untraditional methods for detoxing and dealing with your withdrawls, be smart about it if you really want to quit you need to have a plan of attack before you stop taking them. good luck and hope the best for you.

-rezillientmind          
Avisg, thanks for the advice and warm thoughts, much appreciated :-).
Still hanging on @ 1-1/2 tabs of Tramadol per day, wanting to stabilize my sleep and anxiety issues before I cut back further
.
Lately, the temptation to increase my T. has been occuring (probably because the stock Mkt. has been gasping for air), but i keep reminding myself that I can't ever again use drugs for recreational purposes...that those desires to 'feel better' is just a fleeting  thought, and that within a few moments I'll have already forgotten the urge anyway, so I just say 'No' and move on with the next task at hand.

But with the Ambient and and antihistamine I use for sleep, and the Klonopin for anixety...is just making me feel dense/thick/groggy during the day, really negating the good feelings that I would had otherwise felt from the major tramadol reduction. Yea, just substituting drugs...tho cutting back on the tramadol addiction which is good. Next will be the Klonopin.

At this pace, who knows, it could take 6~9 months to fully detox, but just as long I am making progress, directionally speaking, I can live with it and still find gratitude.

Thanks for listening.

-Best Wishes!
Just saw your post, thank you for your suggestions too. Since I will be self insured (or try to get insured that is) in October '08', it's important to keep my medical record clean of any more traces of being human...*sic.
I probably wont get insured anyway, but not for lack of trying. As such, this forum has been critical to my success to date, and w/o it  I would surely be lost, but i know that this current tapering process is still too drug heavy, otc and the prescribed stuff!

I have to rethink this process, at least cut one sleep aid out, stay steady with the Klonopin and begin cutting the tramadol again....this really does sux!

At least I'm not working now, not sure how the working folk with family could ever manage their way out of this mess! Wow!

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas!

-Best of the Best!
Hi Victor and everyone!
I have not been on in a while so  thought I'd give a quick update.
I am still at about 62 mgs a day.
I tried taking 31 mgs at 10 am and the other dose of 31 mgs at 6pm for a few weeks which was a change from taking the 62 mgs divided in 3 doses 6 hrs apart, in an effort to start spreading  out the doses further and further apart.
It was not horrible but I just felt ****** all day. Extreme fatigue and weakness esp. in my legs has been the hardest to deal with.Tired all day but really bad by 3pm or so.  I was just trying to get through my daily chores and activities so I could hit the couch.
I am not a couch potato and do not want to be one! LOL!!!   I even had to turn down evening social get togethers with friends because I was just drop dead tired.
It's hard to decipher what is actually happening when you have these symptoms!
I find myself constantly questioning everything.
Is it the taper effects?
Am I coming down with the flu?
Are symptoms that the original dose of 200mgs a day I had always been on and was treating/masking now surfacing?...The Fibro, Ulcerative Colitis which is flaring pretty bad too and my spine problems?
Am I getting some new disease? Sheesh!
So...two days ago, I went back to a 3 times a day schedule of 25 mg at 8am, 25 mg at 2pm and  about 12 mgs at 8pm. I still have that soap in the bed trick and the MoM every night. It's helping!
Today finally, I did feel  a little better, a little less fatigued.
Anyway, I have also hit somewhat of a radblock with all of this and so I am holding at this 62 mgs per day until I sort out what t do.
I got my 2008 Humana HMO Insurance benefits update and for the first time, they are adding free dentures to their benefits package. This is huge for me!
I have had no dental insurance before, and my teeth are in horrible shape and I do need at least a partial plate on the bottom and a full denture on top. I will be facing 10 teeth pulled at once for the top, not sure how many for the bottom yet.
I do not want to take any of the "codone's" for these extractions. I'm not even sure if I want to try percocet. So all I can think of is to stay where I am at this point with the Tramadol ( 62 mgs) and if I absolutely have to, take a few extra for the pain after  the surgery and hope  regular Tylenol will hold me over too, then go back on my tapering from the 62 mgs.
I don't know what else to do. A friend of mine thinks this sounds most logical. I will run it by the oral surgeon once I get my appointment set up.

Vic, it looks as though you are working this the best way you can too.
Don't beat yourself up for what ever time this takes you. My policy is break it down...baby steps, steady steps...one step at a time. Sometimes you must take a step back but then you go forward again. This is not an All or Nothing thing.
Like I know I got from 200 mgs a day to 62 mgs a day so I have no doubt I will get from 62 to 0....it's just a matter of time. That's all!
Have patience! This too shall pass!  : D
Continued good luck to all!

Hi all, just realized that I might be addicted to tramadol. 3 a day is all I can take, and I'm down to my last 20 tabs. Got the pills from my mom (ha,ha). Starting tomorrow, and for 2 days, I'll take 1 and half tabs. Then 1 tab for 2 days, then a half tab for two more, and see how that works. Hopefully, cold turkey after that won't be too bad.
getting off trammadol is so hard but it can be done I have done it and I don't ever want to get back on the darn things.  I have my good days and my bad days.  after I got them out of my system I would not go anywhere near a pharmacy I asked my loved ones to make sure I did not have access to them.  it has been hard but I wanted to beat this and you can to I quit them cold turkey I did not taper off them I just stopped taking them.  I have not had one in a month I know that its not been that long but I will continue to walk to the road of being drug free.  and if I can help anyone else I would love to our if I ever need help well you all know the drill.  
This is really scaring me..all these stories here.  I asked my doctor to give me something else because I didn't want to take Norco's all this much.  I was on them on & off for 23 years...but the last 2 years on them daily--6-8 a day..last 2 months 6 day (spaced out within 24 hours).  He first was going to give me Ultram but I had heard on another one of my medical support sites that that was a dirty drug (meaning addiction risk). And everyone told me not to fear taking my Norco's because that is not half as bad as Ultrams.  I finally settled for a anti-inflammatory med. But dang, I am hurting so bad today it's not funny.  I have a chronic pain condition that supposedly is never going to improve; only get worse.

So one way for everyone to look at things with these drugs is: What is going to happen to you if you ever do get real sick & in real pain. What are you going to take if you keep abusing these meds now?  Be careful please.  Some of you are too young and have so much to live for. Not like me....

I just read your comment and a very good one at that you are so right a lot of us are to young to be addicted to pain killers of any kind.  But most of us got that way for real reason's like me for example I did not wake up one day and say I think I will just start using.  I also have chronic pain.  a couple of years ago I worked in a factory lifting way more than I should for my small body and damaged my back for life and there is nothing the Dr's can do for it except pain meds.  I also suffer from migraine headaches I have been in the hospital twice over the darn things.   so needless to say that is where the pain medication came from I had asked my family dr to give me somthing that was not addictive and that is how the trammy's came in to my life I'm trying to learn how to deal with pain on a daily basis it is very hard but I'm doing not just for myself but for my family addiction is a strange road sometimes we are not sure how we get there but we manage to get there.  and you do have so much to live for never think that you don't.  even if its just something small like a sunset or a walk in a garden life is something else enjoy it to the fullest even if you do have terrible pain.  
i stoped ct even though your not suppose to i just think its alot easier just to be done with it you know? im oveer two months clean and i feel normal you might think youll never feel normal againi but yeah you do i feel awsome you just havta hang in there i felt like junk the first 11 days then i went to work got my mind off of everything and the next day i felt great
I've been riding the Tramadol Train for a couple years now.  I can't remember how I discovered it but I vaguely remember looking for a pain reliever a bit more potent than the OTC stuff probably because I strained my back or wanted something in the medicine cabinet for those ocassional mornings where I whooped it up too much the night before.

The stuff is very easy to get is the first problem.  Any online pharmacy will have an 'online doctor' write a script for it. One thing people need to remember to do is when they talk about this stuff, describe your dosage regimen.  The amount and duration you've taken it makes a world of difference for understanding your situation.

Over the past 2 years I've probably averaged taking 100mg once a day 4 or 5 out of 7 days a week.  I may have had a few 2 or 3 week stints that I took 150-200mg every day, but other times I've taken it only once a week.  Kind of all over the map.  Recently (last month, it's been 100mg every day, minimum, max 200.)  But I did notice that going cold turkey after taking at least 100mg a day for several days in a row, about 24 hours after my last dose I'd start to feel achey (achy) - no big surprise, and then 48 hrs I sort of would feel almost like I had mild flu symptoms and this really weird slight pain in my neck like I slept on my neck the wrong way the night before.  But felt okay after about 4 days.  But those 3 days were not fun, but not a nightmare either.  Now for someone taking 300-400+mg a day for a long time, those 3-4 days could be a lot tought I imagine.

The problem with Tramadol besides that it is easy to get and not very expensive is that it doesn't have a really pronounced 'high' feeling like the opiates do (Oxycontin, Hydrocodone, etc.) so you say to yourself, Whoa!  I better be careful with this stuff, it;s POTENT.  It just doesn't strike you like that.  It's more like an Extra Extra strength Tylenol.  At least for me.  But I did notice it gives you an energy boost sort of mild high and lifts your spirits (in addition to killing the pain.)  I read up on it and it does have mild anti-deppresant properties, sort of like low-dose Paxil.  It elevates your serotonin but not as much as the dedicated anti-depressant drugs.

So now, I've found myself several times a week taking 50-100mg in the morning, just like I'm having a cup of coffee and if I have a busy evening, maybe another 50-100mg in the afternoon to keep me going.  What I realized is I may be more dependent on the anti-depressant/energy boost properties than the pain relieving properties since I'm taking it sometimes when I don't have pain.  Yep, I'd say I'm mildly addicted/dependent.  But since it is cheap, and have demonstrated at 150mg a day on average I can get off it fairly easily (it's not a cake walk, but can be done), I've not been concerned about it.

For those trying to get off being on larger dosages or even lower dosages like me I recommend TAPER TAPER TAPER.  If you are taking 300mg a day (100mg X3), try to go to 250mg a day a week, then 200 the next, then 150, then 50 then off.  During that time, take some Extended Relief Tylenol to offset any aches and pains you may have.  Not sure though if you are taking 300mg if there would be liver issues taking a couple Tylenol too?  Check with your doctor.  

I would also recommend reading up on 5-HTP.  It's a natural supplement that is well documented as having anti-depressant properties.  Maybe start off taking 50mg twice a day to help offset the withdrawal from the anti-depressant properties of Tramadol (and thereby not going into depression) and then once you are off the Tram, come off the 5-HTP very gradually, maybe over a month or two.  Each individual's brain chemistry is different. You may need as some point 2 x 100 mg 5-HTP a day if you really start feeling depressed, but I wouldn't take more than that.  Some may not need feel depressed at all even without taking 5-HTP. Do some reading. Talk to your doctor and make your own decision.

But I think by tapering, supplementing with some long acting OTC pain meds (Tylenol, Aleve - have about same duration of action as Tramadol), and supplementing with some natural anti-depressant remedies 5-HTP (St. Johns Wort, etc.) it should make getting off it less difficult.  Not EASY, but put some thought into it, aka "A Plan" and you should be fine.

This is just my opinion based on my own experience.  I'm experimenting with the 5-HTP right now (so the jury is out as far as how effective it is, for me) as I've decided to take a Tramadol Vacation, a long one, and go back to only use it when I have severe pain as opposed to just helping me get through the day more cheerfully and/or avoiding the mild withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms when I periodically stop taking it.
Hi, I have a question, new to tramadol, and I take 50mg 3 times a day,
but I also take lexapro 10mg. is it safe to mix the two? I have been reading post and some of them say the tramadol is  a low antidepresint? I am taking the trams to get off the vics, which really have helped with wd.
i have been on tram for 2 years on and off. I just quit cold turkey again, and i feel very bad. I am on day 3 now and i am almost at the end of the tunnel. I have very bad back pain and meds are the only thing that i can take but, i want to stop with all meds and begin off freash without meds. I am going to begin the year without meds. i know, i can do it.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I am at four weeks and I feel no more withdrawal pains.  
Day 3- you're almost there. The "brain zaps" and acute WD symptoms will subside dramatically after the 4th day. If you can hang on another 24-48 hrs., you'll  be out of the woods. Your energy will creep back every day and might start getting natural sleep about the 7th day. Good luck!
Just dropped in after kicking about 5 or 6 months ago. I started on tramadol for osteoarthritis pain and was on trammies for approx. 18 months before I wanted my life back. I was at 14 -20  pills a day (700 -1000 mg.) just to be "normal" and was going to 3 different docs to obtain that amount.

I do *not* recommend following my protocol, but I have an extensive background in professional nursing and worked extensively at a rehab hospital and am experienced in effects of WDs and treatment modalities, plus I know my limitations. I just want to share one way that I beat the addiction.

For me, tapering did not work. IMO, it just made me feel "slight;y" miserable for a long time, and I went right back on the train. The only thing that worked for me was cold turkey.

I do realize that physicians warn that that it is dangerous to do, but there is literature that indicates that is not the case, and having been "hard core" my entire life, I decided to try it that way.

I needed a 4-day stretch to work with, so I planned a kick on Friday and went through the first 2 days of WDs Sat. and Sun. while my wife absolved me of all responsibility of the kids and the dogs. The nights are sheer hell, but on night 2 I used a mega dose of prescription sleepers and that worked like a charm.

On days 3 & 4, the brain zaps and sluggishness were still there, but I could feel them decreasing so that I could fake my way through work by explaining that I was just getting over serious food poisoning and was still weak,but getting better.

Energy comes back in baby steps and by day 7, I had a first night of natural sleep.

I have been an addict since I was 13 years old (over 30 years) and my DOCs have been, in rough order, pot, THC, angel dust, valium, xanax, alcohol, cocaine, crack, ritalin, heroin, oxycodone, meth, steroids and tramadol. Without a doubt, kicking trammies was the most horrific WDs I have ever experienced.

In my case, I am lucky in that the source of my pain - osteoarthritis- is now being controlled by celebrex. I was using Vioxx until the idiot trial lawyers caused them to be taken off the market.

Good luck and G-dspeed to all going through this nightmare of trammy WD. It can be done, just getting through the first 4 days is the worst, after 7 days you become very confident that you've won.

There really does seem to be something about day 4 .That was my turning point as well .It is rough at first but so worth it ...:)
avisg, that's what mystified me when I kicked and came here for help. As I mentioned in my post, I have a plethora of experience on both sides (addict and treatment, although my days working in the rehab facility, I was using all the time) and with alcohol,many opiates and amphetamine class drugs, 48 hrs. is the magic number for acute WD symptoms. With tramadol, when I awoke the thrird day and it was still going strong, I panicked, which is why this forum is so valuable. Learning about the 4-day acute WD period saved my life from addiction to those evil little white pills.

The half-life of Ultram is similar to other opiates, but the chemical composition works differently than other opiates in that they "stick" to the neuroreceptors longer. So the downside is that acute WD symptoms last longer, but the upside is that the residual effects dissipate more quickly, i.e., the addict feels "normal" more quickly and with less cravings. That s why Ultram gained popularity in Europe and now the US so quickly, but they did not foresee the added danger when trying to kick.

I love everyone here and wish you all enduring success.
"I have another prescription available to me in 6 day's, I would like to let it go, but some how, I know I will get it and take it until it runs out again."

That's another story altogether. You have to either find a treatment modality that works for the reason you had them prescribed in the first place, learn to adapt to the pain, live with the cycle of WD/re-up or get your dosage upped and get on a maintenance dose. However, it sounds like you're addicted to the "high" at this point.

I have seen people adapt to all of those modalities and it depends on the individual and your circumstance.

Have you told us what the medical reason was for getting them prescribed in the first place?
Props for trying it cold turkey my man but the best way to do it is weaning yourself off.

I've been using tramadol to wean myself of oxycontin and heroin and it has been working. Check out the details in my blog, http://hukt.blogspot.com/ I bet it will help you loads. I've even got pretty pictures in there and everything and in my next post I am going to post the exact detox schedule I've been using.

Seriously check out the blog: ****.***
ive been off tramadol for 2 weeks now. but still feeling side effects from the come down. i was taking tramadol with an antidepressent! i stopped taking the antidepressent thinking they wasnt agreeing with me?? but on further research into both drugs it shows that the 2 drugs dont mix very well! ive read the antidepressent amplifies the affect of the tramadol! ive been on tramadol on and off for over 5 years from having 14 ops on my leg! my longest period has been the last which has been 15-16 months on tramadol. i started to notice that the days i didnt take the pain killer i felt really low, anxiety and not wanting to do anything. when i took the tramadol it seemed to pick me up within a matter of 30minutes!! i decided to go cold turkey and my god the first 10 days i was sick! couldnt eat! couldnt sleep and when i did i was and still am waking every 30minutes to an hour! i feel like im going down again and would like to know if i should take the antidepressent again just untill the tramadol is completely out of my system? how long will it take till its starts to get better? i am struggling to keep it up!
I've been on tramadol (2 50Mg) a day for over 7 years.  I have severe head pain and tinnitus.  The tramadol  calmed me down, but am trying
cold turkey now.  This is my sixth day. Am on Lyrica 3 times a day, that seems to help, but hope this doesn't have bad side effects.  Feel
really tired and can't seem to focus well.  Hope I am doing the right
thing.  Wondering if I should take one tramadol in the morning to feel
somewhat normal again.    
If you're at day 6 and coping, you're almost out of the woods. I don't know how the lyrica might affect your detox, but day 7ish you should feel some energy coming back. Mine came back in little "bursts" of energy, then I'd tire quickly, but it got more normal as time passed.  I didn't feel completely "off" trammies until day 30. good luck.

I have been addicted to Tramadol for about 3 years now - I use to steal them from my mom, but then i got the doctor to perscribe me 240 a month for "restless leg syndrom (syndrome)"  - i started taking about 5 a day and then went to 10 and now I'm around 10-15 a day.  I tried to quit cold turkey on Saturday. Sunday wasn't so bad but when i got to work today i was miserable.  Sweating bad on the face/forehead, then horrible chills, then hot flashes.  Repeat these steps over about every 20 min. for the entire 8 hours i was at work.  That was pretty much my day. I rushed home and  gave in when i got in the door.  30 min after taking 6 i felt "normal" again.  I SOOO wish i would have read these forums and realized i really only had 1 or 2 more bad days ahead of me.  I am off for the next 7 day, well "working from home"  i took my last dose around 5pm today.  I will try to give an update every 24 hours of symptoms and problems.  Hopefully by the time i have to go back to work i will be feeling normal agian.  BTW - i have flushed about 50 pills that i had left so there is NO going back at this point.   Please keep me in your prayers and wish me luck - that's to ALL that have posted and encouraged me to take this step !!!  
hi just to let u know i was on tramadol for years i just decided one day to come off them so i went cold turkey which ur not supposed to do said my doctor the first day was bad i had hot sweats shakes and trying to sleep at night was a nightmare it felt like i wanted to stretch all night so i took a sleeping pill and was out like a light the next day was worse as i went thorogh depression feeling ill and moody but when i went to bed that night i slept all night and when i woke up the next day i felt great no matter what the doctors say they are addictive and u need to wean urself off them good luck you will do it
I have experienced 29 operations over the last 15years but in 2007 I had a major procedure known as a mitrofanoff. I was placed on Tramadol 50mg tablets at eight aday and sent into the community to get on with it. The tablets worked wonders making this operation easier to cope with almost pain free and I really didnt think anything wrong with taking them. It is now 2009 and just over two years since my procedure and YES am still taking Tramadol. I decided to stop taking them and just cut them out, however it was not long before i started to feel Flu like symptoms, skin crawling, continuious cold sensation, being boiling hot then freezing cold, unable to function every day tasks etc. I thought maybe i had an infection or virus at first but soon discovered there were so many others on tramadol experiencing similar if not all the above symtpms. I soon put myself on the addiction catergory and decided to try and find the answer or easiest way of coming off tramadol.
I am currently down to 50mg in the morning and 50mg lunch time but am experiencing heavy legs, flu like symptoms, unwell feeling and unable to function my every day activities. Is there anyone who knows when these will subside for it has been over three weeks now without a break. It makes you want to take the whole box......It is so frustrating when you are normally active and bubbly. The whole mitrofanoff operation was easier than this. Please help........
Thank you for your post Jan 17, 2008 01:43AM  it has helped drastically to know there may be light at the end of this dark and unpleasant tunnel.

I broke my wrist quite badly and was given a pack of Tramadol for the pain and was told to follow the instructions on the box. Max 400mg per day. As a very addictive person with previous experience of abusing recreational drugs I noticed the addictive nature of this drug immediately. Assuming that as this drug was prescribed by a doctor with no warnings other than constipation, I would be fine to take the 400mgs a day and once my wrist was fixed I would stop. Ha. I was clock watching and wishing for my next dose after 2 hours of the previous dose. I did however manage to stick to the 400mgs per day and get several repeat prescriptions to keep me going for 6 weeks.
When taking the Tramadol I did not have any unwanted symptoms other than the suspected constipation. I felt great, no pain, heightened concentration, and of course a healthy (or not) feed to my addictive nature.

The problems started when I realised that the pain in my arm had dissipated and there were no apparent reasons to be taking Tramadol for the pain. I said to myself "once this box is finished I'll use the next box to slowly wean myself off" and of course the next box was an excuse to wait until the next. After pushing my luck with the GP for repeat prescriptions I had my final box of 30 x 50mg tablets and decided to start my wean. The first few days I took 100mgs in the morning and 100mgs before bed. (Not a problem) Then 50mgs in the morning and 100mgs before bed. (still fine) I noticed my tablets were getting low (6 left) so I decided to jump a step to 50mgs before bed. (Not good at all). The day was not to bad with a small amount of anxiety and a few moody moments. In the evening I decided to leave taking the tablet until as late as possible. I forgot to take it and went to bed. After 2 hours of being wide awake and writhing around with extreme agitation to my extremity muscles I decided to take a tablet and finally fell asleep on couch (my girlfriend was not happy) at 6 in the morning. I assumed that each day would get better so took 50mgs the next night and had the same feelings in my muscles but not to bad and managed to get to sleep by 2. The following night tried not taking one again and at 4 in the morning decided to go for an 8 mile walk to wear out my muscles. I got back extremely exhausted and agitated as all I wanted was sleep. At 6:30 that morning I had had enough and took two tablets and then fell asleep at 8. The next two nights I took 50mgs before bed and each night I writhed and paced the house until 6 in the morning. (Up at 8). I was extremely angry, tired and slightly depressed but had only been experiencing the writhing feeling of muscle agony build up when not moving at night.

I had run out of tablets and was glad to be on the cold turkey, but I wanted advice on any thing that may help me sleep. I went to ask a pharmacist for advice and was told that Tramadol is not addictive and does not cause any withdrawal symptoms when stopping. "you may feel a bit down for a couple of days". I asked if there was anything that i could take to help sleep and Nytol was suggested.

Last night was my first night without any Tramadol tablets which I spent 10 mins trying to sleep next to my girlfriend before knowing that this night was not going to be fun. I took 1 Nytol tablet and waited in desperation for it to kick in. At 3 in the morning I took another. They kicked in however the muscle ache would still not let me sleep. So I felt even more exhausted than normal and the muscle pains were getting to the point of agonised anguish. I had read that a hot bath would help with the muscles so at 4:30 I run a hot bath which succeeded in getting me wet and warm, (whoopee) and not helping the muscles in the slightest. I fell asleep from exhaustion at 7:30 and was woken at 8 by my girlfriend. (NOT A GOOD NIGHT).
The most infuriating thing is that now I have no tablets, the muscle problem is constantly present throughout the day so it is an ongoing torture.

I am now on the second day without Tramadol (one night) and I'm really struggling to see an end to this. I can deal with the anxiety, the slight depression, the diarrhea and the mood swings as I have been there before but the physical side I am really struggling with and want to rip muscle by muscle from my body like the banned Robbie Williams video.

To read your message was a great help as I now know it has to get worse before it gets better and that I maybe already half way through my agony. Thank you.

I am determined that there is going to be no more Tramadol entering my body ever again and I am going to see this through to the end. Once I am finally feeling myself I will let you all know how I got on, how long it takes and if I found anything that lessens the symptoms.

In the mean time if anyone could let me know anything that may help my muscle issue I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks to all of you for listening and especially to my girlfriend for her endless patience.

Rob – Hampshire England

Hi Rob!  This is a really old post, so the poster may not respond.  

Way to go on day 2!  I recently detoxed from Tramadol myself, and it is really tough.  Some things that will help are hot baths in epsom salt,  a magnesium/calcium supplement, bananas or apple juice, gatorade, ( I drank loads of it) Immodium, tylenol, advil, and a heating pad for your sore muscles at night!  When you are able, walking will also help.

Good luck.  It doesn't last forever!

TH
I'm on day 4 of cold turkey. It's not easy, but cold turkey got me off smoking and it suits my personality; I enjoy a challenge. I prefer to see this as me against the drug and just focus on winning. Fortunately I do go to the gym, Judo, play football and play in a band so I have lots of good, healthy distractions, and this keeps my endorphins in good order and helps alleviate withdrawal.

It's not doom and gloom folks. For me, it's a state of mind and this is one fight I am winning. I got a bad injury in the army 10 years ago in Bosnia and was put on tramadol. Once they ran out I started using my wife's med, but no longer will I touch the stuff because I want to be back in control of my life. Been taking tramadol for nearly 10yrs until now.

Right now, I'm getting the sweats, restless legs, back is a little stiff, wee bit panicky at times, sleeping is tough (sleeping tabs will address that) but my energy is still good, I'm still fairly fit for 39 and still have the determined attitude to win this one. May I add that being able to sleep is vital for your resistance levels, so you may need help there. I asked the doc for a few sleeping tabs to get me through the first week and it's helped.

Basically I took five days holiday from work to detox myself, I planned ahead and checked out the withdrawl (withdrawal) sysmtoms online and got mysefl ready mentally. I'm detoxing by keeping fit, raising my heart rate and blood temp to sweat out this rubbish and it's working. I go for long walks in the morning to get rid of the restless legs, hit the gym after that to tire me out and repeat this later the same day if required.

I drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. A natural detox always works for me and gives me a better frame of mind. Knowing I am eating healthy and keeping fit gives me a better way to focus my mind and keeps me positive. I know not everyone has the luxury of full mobility, but for those that do...make it work for you.

All I am trying to bring here is a real positive note, that you just have to win this short fight by deciding to beat this daft little pill. The side effects are uncomfortable, but for me it's not a horror story. Again, this could be down to one's state of mind, good planning and beng very stubborn.

Fortunately I still have the fitness physically & mentally to combat this, but even if I did not, my attitude would anyway because I am a winner and don't like anything controlling or beating me. I knew the army training would be handy one day, lol.

I know we all suffer in different ways, but don't rely on a god or a miracle to cure you because it won't happen, harsh words but a reality non the less. This is your life and you must grab it with both hands. Only you can do this with a positive mental attitude, don't give up & if you are on day 2, trust me it get's easier; I'm on day 4 and I feel much better already.

Don't despair with a lot of the negative style posts, it's not always like this for everyone, some people like me are out there and winning this with a little determination, good planning & plenty of distractions. You won't regret getting of this, stay focused on how good you will eventually feel because you will feel better.

All the best, Mark
i dont understand? does tramadol get you high like a vicodin or oxy?
No, it doesn't get you high like opiates, but you get addicted to trammies the  same way and the W/D is actually worse.
Good luck with your detox from trammies. They're nasty little pills, alright. I had been substance abusing for a long time and w/d from alcohol, percocet, xanax and crack cocaine addictions at various stages and trammies were the worst to kick by far for me. In my case, it took 2 tries and cold turkey is how I did it. This board helped a lot in encouragement and to show it can be done.
Today is day 1.5 for me, with my last 150 mg of Tramadol being taken yesterday morning.  Sleeping wasn't bad, but I know it'll get worse with those damn 'restless legs' again [Before late December 2009, I would get my monthly allotment of 60 pills - 2 a day - for shingles pain--and would go through the allotment in less than 2 weeks, and experience at least 3 days of those maddening restless legs, with maybe 2 hours of sleep each day].  And the cold and hot sweats - yuck, but at least I have a blistering heat wave and diabetes and approaching age 50 in a few weeks, to make this awful symptom sound part and parcel of those things rather than jonesing for some drug.  Someone from work gave me some 5 mg Valium to help me calm down, and 10 mg actually seems to be helping.  Perhaps some Valerian and Benadryl and Advil PM at night, after 40 minutes of cardio, will help ease the sleeping problems, too.  I get another 3-day weekend this weekend, so I'm hoping by Sunday night I'l be done with it, through with the W/D.  I figure at least 'one day at a time' might mean one slightly less painful, troublesome day at a time, and that's okay by me.

I started Ultram 50mg back in late 1996, and then just a purely recreational drug--a friend with HIV had a zillion of them each month.  And I would take a couple home with me in between visiting him.  I would take one pill on a Friday night, and the wonderful feelings would last through Saturday early morning.  And I would be up most of Saturday, and crash Saturday night, and sleep all Sunday morning.  God, it was one pill back then, once every two weeks [the feeling felt so good then, and I was 36, and I only had one pill left, and wanted to make sure I had another weekend to feel this good, and one pill was doing an incredible trick then].  And it kind of went that way till my friend died in 1997, and I relocated in 1998, with probably 4 months' worth of his pills, along with an identical 4 months' worth of unemployment.  So in year 2 - 1998 - my usage doubled, and I was taking one pill every Friday night, every week.  Later that year, I got stuck with a very painful case of shingles, was out of pain pills [but no problem--just kind of missed a fun weekend activity], and went to my doctor, who prescribed Vicodin [gosh, but I was on the edge of my chair seeing if the Rx he was writing would be for Ultram], but that stuff didn't work--or at least didn't make me feel like the Ultram I was taking, and by this time, the pain from the shingles neuropathy had subsided a lot].  I talked to a friend at work, who told me her boyfriend had Shingles, and he got Ultram, and it worked wonders for him.  So I returned to the doctor, and he gave me Ultram--I think 4 tabs a day, 30 days.  A nice prescription if there was ever one.  Eventually the one pill every Friday became two, and eventually I started taking on Sundays, too [after i would be recovered with sleep from the Friday dose], and then Mondays would be just complete hell.  Eventually I found a job that would allow me the weekends and Mondays off, so things were good then.  

But then I made some poor job choices, and had more time off, and started upping the dose.  Gradually, within 2 years, I went up to 4-5 pills on the weekends.  When I returned to work, it was very hard to change that pattern, and it was very hard to return to a job that I absolutely hated, and one which was okay with me going consultant-basis because of budget problems.  Needless to say at this point, there would be days I would call in and say, 'yeah, you know I wanted to come in a work a few hours today, but something else came up, and I can do whatever tomorrow.'  I knew I was choosing the drug over money to pay bills, but I still had enough money to pay bills even with not making a day or so into the office.

Then, at 45, I had to move in with my parents, after being unemployed for over a year, where credit-card debt increased from paying my rent on credit and from paying for $100 of Tramadol every month with a credit card [from online pharmacies, where no Rx is needed--I didn't have a doctor then, anyway, out of health insurance, so my questionnaire that I answered at these pharmacies about my doctor knowing I need this Rx was at least answered partially true.  Where do you go, after all, when you've go no health insurance, and you need a pain pill?  If you've got little money, you don't waste it on a doctor that you've got to redevelop a history with--you just go to something fast.

Over the next year's time, I went up to 11 pills per day, and on most days, can't say that I felt the difference, the good feeling.  When I moved in with my parents, I had nothing left [my first day of not taking pills], and if there were any w/d symptoms, I'm sure I put them off as just being severely depressed over how events had turned out in my life, and being 45, soon 46, without a job in a country that doesn't tend to look at you if you're over 40.

With one or two exceptions over the next 8 months, I stayed tried.  When I returned to work in 2006, with new health insurance, I immediately got myself some doctors, and starting seeing them.  Couldn't get Tramadol though I tried at first, but rather had to be subjected with Lyrica, which for me was the equivalent of getting the huge appetite from smoking pot without the nice high from smoking weed.  Yikes--I gained about 20 pounds on that ****.  I told my doctor that **** just wasn't for me, and he reluctantly put me back on Tramadol--3 pills a day [90 for the month].  I think I pretty much blew the complete prescription out in about a week and a half, and that's how it went, till last December [keep in mind I only work my high-stress job 4 modified long days a week, and get a 3-day weekend each weekend--sometimes 4-days, as in the case of July 4th this year].  A lot of time off, and a drunk partner to spend that time off with.  Since December, somehow I've been taking the pills every day, at least 8 per day.  6 months of that!

I can't keep living under this drug's control, which, by the way, has also seen me driving my car [with relatives] on days when I should have been fully awake, nodding off, not being able to focus, ******* biting my lip and inside mouth to stay awake.  A couple of weeks ago I said to myself:  I used to take this drug occasionally for pain, always to feel good; recently I'm only taking it to avoid NOT feeling bad [it had gotten to the point where in mid-morning, stomach hurting, sweating, sneezing, yawning a lot--new symptoms to me that I realized could be eliminated by taking the 8, or at least 6, and then 2 more later in day]--that's completely ****** up.

I have nothing against feeling good, no matter what the method, but when the method makes you sick [if you leave it], or is possibly driving up my blood glucose A1C [my test results have never been worse than in the last 6 months], which means all kinds of things might be happening to my organs, then it's time to quit.  At the point where I was dozing off while driving [because I would sleep -- is it really sleep when you've taken Tramadol, though, because it just feels like a lot of thinking while you're extremely tired and maybe going in and out of sleep back to the thinking about things--but not sleep enough, ever, and there wasn't a time when there was no Tramadol the day before driving, which really would have been better so I could have rested completely], it was probably time for me to realize how I'm living with this drug is very dangerous.

I'll report more on subsequent days about cold turkey, but like some writers above me, or perhaps on another page, the thought of just going to that website and ordering another 120 pills that can arrive by Friday is wicked intense in my mind right now.
Okay I am coming off or tramadol something that i will never take again. I am on day 3 and the hot and cold sweats I just want to go through the roof!!!! I am work and up and down alot so hard for me to cool down even though it is cold ERRRR!!! My hands are freezing I don't know how much more of this I can take, I can't sleep at night well if I take sleeping pills I get a couple of hours of sleep. How long does this take??

Hi Lena....I hope you managed to get off the EVIL TRAMADOL....I only took the pills for 7 weeks due to back pain. I then developed pains in my stomach that turned out to be constipation (in a big way!) I was x-rayed, blood and water tested at the hospital and given more TRAMADOL for the pain I was in. My friend who is a nurse reccomended that I drink lots of water and also thought the TRAMADOL was causing the constipation and so I decided to stop the pills and try and flush my bowels out with gallons of water. Well this is where the nightmare began. The last pill was taken on Wednesday at 6pm. Thursday night I went to bed and felt there were things crawling under my skin and I kept shaking and fidgeting in the bed. By 3am I was pacing the floor downstairs and when I got back into the bedroom I woke my husband crying about the wretched way I was feeling. It didnt matter how hard I tried I could not be still and so my (wonderful) husband cuddled me and tried to keep me calm until 7am. In the end I fell asleep until 11am Friday but woke up with the tremors and feeling hot then cold. My mind was so spaced out that I felt I wasnt really living but just watching others float by doing their thing. All day Friday was spent trying to hold onto reality and drinking gallons of water. The constipation went during that day and so did the pain in my bowels. But that night I had the worst headache I have ever had in my life and I spent the night with a cold flannel over my eyes and my husband gently massaged my head and back to try and keep me calm. The tremors were not so bad but the hot and cold sweats were still there and the restlessness. Saturday came and went with no changes but thankfully the headache had gone. On Sunday at around 5pm I felt a glimpse of myself returning and on Monday apart from being very tired I began to feel a bit better. Today (Tuesday) my dear husband has told me that he can see a big difference in me and that I seem to be returning to my old self. I still feel very tearful at times but I know those evil little pills will no longer be a part of my life. I am a 60 year old woman and have seen many heataches in my life including losing  our only child a few years ago. I am normally a very strong minded person but this has shocked me to the core. The fact that these pills can be dished out so easily without a very strong warning of the side affects trying to come off them is criminal.
I hope Lena that you managed to get through your ordeal and I pray that all those trying to come of these pills will succeed. Remember I only took them for 7 weeks and they destroyed the person I was for all of that time. There is light at the end of the tunnel for all of you trying to come of THE EVIL TRAMADOL..........God Bless you all
Been off of "Satan's Aspirin" for 2+ yrs. It can be done. The first 7 days are the worst, 30 days before some energy comes back and for me, anyway, I didn't feel completely normal and free completely until just now. My doctor still ofers me a script for my pain (I manage with 800 MG ibuprofgen and deal with the pain) and I decline and last week I picked up some prescriptions for my elderly neighbor who is convalescing from a broken arm and she had a script for 100 trammies in there and I had no temptation whatsoever. The memories of W/Ds far exceed any memory of teh "lift" or pain relief I got from them. Also quit smoking after a 3-pack per day/25 year habit 6 months ago. It was a piece of cake compared to trammy withdrawal,
Hi all,

I hope that those of you that were trying to quit the tramadol managed it ok! I was prescribed it last October for severe lower back pain, which I got to say it was fantastic for.

Really interesting to hear how every one has similar experience to me, didnt realise there was going to be any side effects until Christmas day. Went with the wife and kids to my mother in laws, and didn't take the tablets with me, nor did I take any that morning. Deciding that I'd want to have a drink, and would see if I still needed them.

Had tremors and what was described as brain zaps, before the evening was out, couldn't drink as felt too crap! Worse thing was the restless legs, and a crawling feeling under my skin. Didnt sleep a wink!

So here we are in June and I'm coming off them, reduced from 8 a day to 6 to 1 or two and now run out and don't want to get anymore thanks. Suffering with all the usual suspects, but the restlessness is the worse bit. Lost my temper with the mop as I was cleaning the kitchen, when the sponge came off for third time and now I have a useless boomerang that used to be a mop. Other than that I have drawn a great deal of comfort from the posts here and will update as I go!

All the best to you all.
Okay, just a quick story. I was stuck out on a houseboat for over a week. My back was out, and someone had a big bottle of Tramadol. Long story short, I took about 300mg a day for 10 days then quit. What a horrible ride. I've come off a lot of benzos after surgeries, etc, but this was the worst. I did it cold turkey. No sleep for three nights, hearing noises that weren't there and having continual flashes of disconnected thoughts. Day three brought the "night shocks." My body would randomly jerk as I tried to relax, much like a full-body hick-up. MDs and dentists have no idea how this drug can affect some of us. Never again will I self-prescribe, no matter how bad my back gets. As far as those trying to quit, I'd suggest weaning back then slowly going CT after you're down to about 50mg daily. Just be ready for a wild ride. Those watching, spouses and friends, will wonder what is happening to you. Just try to assure them they'll never understand and it'll take a month or so for the old you to start to return. You'll get there. Don't give up.
I don't see anyone here that are very long term users like me. A pinched nerve in my left rib cage or possibly Slipping Rib Syndrome put me on the Tramadol rollercoaster about 8 years ago. For me the attraction besides masking the pain was the weight loss that occurred as a side effect. I am not obese but any extra weight in my abdomen puts pressure on my ribs. I dumped 40 pounds within the first six months and that alone made me feel great along with the sense of well being the pills gave me. Being aware of the dangers ahead of time it took me a long time to ask for the prescription from my doctor and then several weeks before I actually got it filled and then more weeks before I took it and bam, I was hooked. I quit and resumed usage about four times but by 2004 I was using (300mg) per day and didn't stop again until November 2007 and it took every bit of six weeks before the sleep issues, restless leg syndrome, being hot and cold and enhanced pain in my ribs faded. The first 24 hours weren't bad but days 3 thru 7 were hideous. My ex took me to her house for a couple of days to keep an eye on me in case I decided to leap from a window or something. I had an added symptom not mentioned here that was the hardest one to deal with.........when I moved my eyes in their sockets I would hear something like band symbils being crashed together and that caused me to vomit on several occassions. That crashing didn't stop for almost six weeks. I have about 40% hearing loss and most people with hearing loss hear beeps and boops in their head anyway so maybe the crashing was connected to the hearing problem somehow. Anyway, I am about 8 years in now and have let everything like home maintenance and being able to follow a schedule go out the window. I am retired and do collect old motorcycles which has at least given me something fun to do but even that has slowed a lot. Everything I do from the time I get up until the time I go to bed revolves around the pills. I find creative ways to enhance the effect now that my body has become used to the stuff. Sometimes I wash them down with strong coffee or mkaybe an energy drink like a Starbucks Doubleshot or both. I found that laying out on the couch after taking the dose enhances the effect when the Tramadol hits my brain, don't ask me how and maybe it is all in my mind. Other times a dose is like sugar pills, no effect and a very depressing few hours. The good news is that as of a month ago I have been talking to my grown kids about putting together a plan to get rid of the pain in my ribs and then go into rehab. I am fortunate to have insurance that pays 100% the first time into rehab. Sorry for the long post but then in eight years the story becomes drawn out.
Ok I don't know if I can help my dear friend had 4 scripts from different doctors for 3 years. I've known him since before he was hooked and I myself get 120 a month (I use that to pay for oxycodone) if your having trouble sleeping and restless legs nueropathy etc. Tell your doctor you would like a muscle relaxer called Somas. Just tell your doc you have spasms and cramps and they will help with all the symtoms (symptoms).

Since then my friend has tapered himself from anywhere from 10 to 20 a day all the way down to 4 to 8 a day since he realizes its a problem. Also I'm sorry if there's heavier drug abusers. (like myself) that look down and give no respect for withdrawls off of Tramadol.

The late great rapper O'l Dirty ******* overdosed on tramadol and cocaine, but then there's rappers who have been shot multiple times and live.

Sorry if this didn't help at all maybe you all could help me in the recent threads titled "want feedback" thanks best of luck to you!
Thanks I know im not alone my story is just like your except im doing 30-40 pills a day.I have detoxed from heroin many times years ago but when I try to do it now wow its crazy.I have been thinking about suboxen but afraid Im jumping fron the frying pan to the fire.Help
Why is Tramadol still on the market? This is a dangerous drug in my opinion. I have never been addictive to a thing and after just one prescription here I am 3 years later laying in bed with all my limbs feeling like they want to break off of my body, I have gone three days with out sleep. I have uncontrollable spasms and twitches,  this is the most horrible thing I have ever been through. I want to be medically  induced into a coma just so I don’t have to deal with it any more.

I mentioned my addiction to my Doc over a year ago and all I got is your ok your only taking 3 pills a day apparently he has no idea what it’s like to be on Tram. I really want to call him right now in the middle of the night and tell him to screw himself and a few other things.

We all need to write the FDA tell them your stories and get this drug off the market and then sue the manufacture.  This drug should be classified as a narcotic and the manufactures know it.
You are SO right CampDan.  They need to completely destroy the production of this drug.  I get more phone calls, more e-mails to reorder this drug.  It was so easy to get and companies are getting very rich off of people's addictions to this evil drug.  I find it amazing that it's completely legal to put people through such agony and pain.  

I honestly don't know how you extremely wonderful people who did CT lived through it.  IMHO, tapering is the only way off of this.  I know a lot of people disagree.  Of course, I do think that everyone should get off these things the way that is best for them and their body.  I can't do it.  I HAVE to function and just the beginning withdrawals make me unable to function

I have begun the very slow tapering process and have been successful.  The key is that I've realized is to keep it in your mind that it is going to take a long time, as long as it takes.  Plus, what's the hurry?  In a year, I can either be cleaned up, or still abusing like I have been for the last 5 years.

So I know that I now have my last bottle.  Period...I told my husband yesterday so the credit card that I use for pills?  shutting it down!  My phone number, being changed!  My e-mail, being changed!  I will not be able to just go online and place an order anymore.  This is it

So, I bought a pill cutter at Walmart and cut them into fourths.  I've gone from 25 to 30 pills a day down to 13 and still going.  It's going to take a long time, I know this.  But I can function, I can live a normal life without feeling like an alien and being the most sick that I've ever been. Write down all your doses and taper a quarter of a pill once you start feeling better.  Don't wage an all out war on your body!  It's just absolutely such a horrible thing to do to your body.  

I don't even know where to being. I have always liked Tramadol since i was around 17(got them for growing pains once), but didn't really start taking them daily until about 2 years ago. I'm now 31. My husband and i have always liked to do the recreational drug occasionally (pot, pain pills,things like that), well now we BOTH take tramadol and its not good. We have been ordering from online for 2 years and sometimes order 180 50 mg every week to every 2 weeks and have even gone far enough to  sit at emergency rooms to try to get tramadol. I can honestly say i have had enough, but i can't imagine my life without them. i have had to DT a few times and it's really horrible and scary. I have 3 children, i do online college and one of those kids are a 2 yr old handful. I am mighty woman on tramadol, but off I am seriously depressed, can't do nothing. I just took my last 3 today and we are waiting on our order, but it keeps getting put on hold. I take 5 or 6 in the morning then 4 in the afternoon then sometimes take 1 here and there later on. I don't think i have taken more then 12 in a day before. I have a wonderful loving husband and wonderful children and i can't help but to think i have let them down. What do i do, how am i going to be the mom who cooks, cleans, smiles, loves, talks, and more? I remember the days when it was fun to catch a buzz, now it's more of a thing to feel normal when taking tramadol. Anyhow tomorrow will be day 1, but am i going to take them again when our order gets here? I hope not. Anyways I hope to get through this horrible addiction I have, I will try to let everyone know about my experiences with detoxing.PLease wish me luck :)
Hi, this is a really old post.  You will get lots more answers and support if you go to the top and hit "post a question" and put this info in again.  I got off of tramadol in March of 2010.  Never have had another one since then.  I was on 15 a day.  WAY too much.  I was even having seizures.  If you're on a high dose, the risk of seizure is very high, and you never know when you'll have one. Tramadol is just so, so, so dangerous.  

Do you have a doctor that you could talk with about this?  Go ahead and post a question of your own, and we can talk there, ok?
I am in my second day of withdrawls.  I went home sick from work yesteerdsay as they thought i had the flu,  I have researched my plan to get trammies for good.  i went to my doctor and spilled the beans; told her everything,  she was thankful i had.  told her this internet makes it sall too easy to get what you want.  I was up to 16 a day (800 mg).  I tampered to 12, 8, 6 and then to zero....a modified cold turkey, been on them for 4 years.  doc;s willl help you go to them and be honest.  they gave me short term  valium, muscled relaxers and anti neasuea stff.  I drink lots of water and gatorrade.  I take a few trylonal.  I use the muscle relaxer at bed time with a sleeping pill so I can sleep and not fight the restless legs this is key.  keep warm and do thnings that make you happy.  dont let the depression get u down your getting your life back!   You r!!! focus on that and all the money youll stop wasting.  Bless you all.  Love you and feel for u.  Im with you!
I find it really unbelievable that so many people come here and blame a medicine for thier weaknesses. Some are taking 14-20 pills a day! You can abuse aspirin in that manner as well. If you have an addictive personality you do not need to be taking ANY medication, whether it has painkilling properties or not. I can only take tramadol as opposed to hydros for kidney stones which I have on a regular basis. If i EVER take more than 2 50mg in one day I will get slightly sick. Hydros do NOTHING but damage my liver with all the paracetemol in them, and I would never dream of taking 15 of anything in one day. People like that can become addicted to cough syrup for gods sake. It is all these abusers who have made it so hard to get a medicine that when taken properly does great things in improving the quality of ones life who actually needs it. Do the rest of us a favor and find a new scapegoat for your addictive personalities. Try alcohol or Nyquil and stop making life harder for those of us who don't ABUSE something that helps us.
30 to 40 pills A DAY! And you blame the product? Unreal.
I am not directing this to anyone, just need to write it I guess.  I have been on pain meds for over two years.  I have terrible pain in my hip and back due to a deformity in one of my vertabral disk.  The doc put me on hydros. (750) I was supposed to take 1 every six hours.  I ended up needing more and more and would take like up to 10 on some days.  I was afraid of that and also always ran out early....PLUS anytime you get a pain med...even if you do need it...the pharms make you feel like a fugitive.  I got sick of that and when I finally saw a neurologist, she put me on Tramadol.  I was hooked immediately I think.  I thought it was great b/c it worked.  It gave me tons of energy.  Before that, I was lethargic all the time and depressed.  I have two kids to raise and couldn't do anything with them really.  so, the Tramadol also helped my pain really well, I'm supposed to take 6 per day...BUT I enevitably began taking more and more....I've taken as much as 20 in one day.  I lied to myself saying it's not that bad b/c it's not a narcotic.  NOW I wish I had just stayed on the hydros.  I get 180 Trams per month and I always run out early. ALSO forgot to say that I lost 45 pounds while on tram....been taking it for about 6 months.  So I ran out on Monday.  Today is Thurs.  I can get my refill on Sat.  I got Kratom b/c I knew I would run out of the Tram.  The Kratom helped me for the first two days.  This is the third day and I feel okay, but don't know if I can take the kratom again b/c it's SO NASTY!  I told my doc I thought I may (I know I am, but I told him I may be) be addicted to Tram.  He told me that I do really need it, so just keep taking my 6 and don't worry about it.  The problem is that you can't just stay on the same dose b/c it will stop working same as opiates always do and you always need more for the same pain relief.  Some of you may not understand this, but I'm a Christian and I feel a lot of guilt for depending on these pills to get me through a day when I should depend on God for that and it's like I'm a fake and a hypocrite.  So, part of me wants to be done and not get the refill.  The other part of me is afraid of the pain in my hip/leg b/c tylenol or ibuprophen never touch it and also I don't want to get fat again.  I know that's vain, but I gained so much weight when I got pregnant and after our 1st child, I found out my hus has a porn problem which (I know it's not my fault), makes a woman feel so like nothing.  So, I dont' know what to do.  I thought about maybe getting the pills and taking them like I'm supposed to...giving them to my husband to give me everyday...if I have them, I'll take them all.  I just want to feel good again, but I know being on pills is not the way to do it.  If any of you pray, please pray for me.
you are right about it being the abusers fault and not the drugs fault, but your attitude is kind of wrong.  For those who think Tramadol should be taken off the market, I do not agree.  It is a good drug and does help.  People who get easily addicted to stuff should not take it.  Bobby83's comment will probably make you mad, but he is right.  I will admit that I like the "high" feeling so I am prone to take anything that makes me feel this way.  He's also right about people like us making it hard for those who need these drugs to get them.  YOu should just try to understand Bobby83 that folks don't wake up one day and say, "I think I'd like to be a slave to pills."  It's something that tricks you into thinking you are in control when you so obviously are not.
I've been taking tramadol since thanksgiving,didn't think to go to the doctor after I got them from a relative,bad part my job did a suprise drug screening nd mine came back as an opiote,how do I get this out of my system,I'd rather deal with the pain than loose my job,somebody help,their giving me till next week.
im so proud and happy for you i really am
i have been on tramadol   for 5 years now and im on my 2nd day of cold turkey...i have fibromyalga (fibromyalgia) and dont want any more narcotics..i am tryin to have a baby and cant with the medicines...and advise  i feel like im bout to die..
Hey misty - congrats for quitting.

And I know exactly how you're feeling right now and it's awful.  I remember very well.  I also quit cold turkey over a year ago and those early days were the worst.

The only thing I can offer for you right now is to just try and "sink" into the withdrawal - don't resist the symptoms or they'll only make them worst.  At least that's how it was for me.

Hot showers became my new best friend those first few weeks.  Sometimes up to 4 showers a night but they did provide relief - from the RLS and the anxiety, and I'd use epsom salts as a scrub to help with the joint pain and the salts also help to draw the toxins out of your skin.  The relief might only be temporary, which is why I'd take so many in a night, but they will help.

And remember to stay as hydrated as possible, apple juice seemed to be the easiest on my stomach, along with fruit smoothie drinks.  Hot tea with toast and peanut butter was also easy on my system, along with yogurt.  Just think bland food as I know your appetite probably isn't so great right now.

And in a few days, when you're feeling up to it, get to the drugstore and pick up the stuff you find listed on the thomas recipe and the amino acid protocol.  The stuff that worked the best for me was the daily multi-vitamin, the fish oil tablets, the b12 sublingual tablets, and I actually began taking the St. John's Wort too to help ward off the depression that often comes with tramadol withdrawal.  I took that for the first six months and I know it kept me from going through any real depression.  Oh and ImmodiumAD will help a lot for the GI issues.

And remind yourself, every single second if you have to, that what you're going through right now is actually GOOD for your body.  You're healing and the toxins are slowly leaving your system.  It's going to be painful for a while but it is SO worth it in the end I PROMISE you that.  Living life on tramadol was NO way to live, as I know you know that now.  I actually quit xanax (took that for 12 years) and the tramadol (took that for over 6 years up to 25 pills a day) - I quit both of them cold turkey on the same day.  I would NEVER recommend quitting a benzo like that as I've learned since then how dangerous that can be.  So it was only sheer luck that I didn't experience a seizure from quitting like that.

And lastly, GO EASY ON YOURSELF.  Take help where you can get it, DON'T expect to be in a good mood for a while and keep those  expectations on yourself really low for now.  I think the easier you are on yourself for these first few days, makes the whole process a bit more manageable.  I'm excited for you - and SO happy that you've decided to quit this awful drug.  The difference between how I feel today compared to how I felt on the tram is night and day.  There's no comparison and you're now on your way to find that out as well!  Good luck to you - keep posting and take it slow for now.  You'll get there.  :)
Sheesh - I'm sorry for such a long reply!!  I had no idea I was going on and on like that!  lol (oh and you may want to post a new thread of your own - this one is a little old and sometimes members don't always reply on the older threads).  :)
TRAMADOL IS REALLY HARD TO COME OFF OF... I TOOK IT YEARS AGO AND I WAS GOING THROUGH 120 PILLS A WEEK.. BUT AFTER A WHILE I STARTED GETTING HEADACHES AND THEY WERE CAUSED  BY THE TRAMADOLS AND THEY GOT SO BAD I COULDNT STAND IT ANYMORE... SO I PULLED OFF OF THEM MYSELF... I TOOK ALOT OF VITIMANS AND IT HELPED ME ... I CANT LIE IT WAS NOT EASY ... ACUTUALLY IT WAS VERY HARD IT TOOK ME 2WEEKS TO FEEL JUST NORMAL AGAIN BUT I WAS NOT SLEEPING AT ALL I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING CRAZY.... ANYWAYS I HAVE BEEN OFF OF THEM SINCE SO THIS IS POSSIBLE AND I AM A RN NURSE SO I KNOW MOST OF THE SYMPTOMS AND THINGS SO THAT DID HELP ME ... GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
My neuro dr gives me a script for like 270 tramies and I was taking up tp ten at a time. I wasn;t taking them everyday but I get severe migraines and bc I was on it for over one yr I had to take alot for them to work. I want everybody to know it is a scary drug I never thought anything would happen. About a week ago I had a bad migriane and took 8 50mg pills within a hort amount of time. Everything was going fine, was in bed about to go to sleep when I felt nausous (which happens alot to me). I went in bathroom and couldn't get sick so I went back in bedroom. I don't remember anything else. The next thing I remember was emt's and police in my house. My bf said I had a seizure for over 10mins. They took me to er and did alot of tests. I told them I don't do drugs but I told them I took alot of tramodol. They came in room and told me pcp was found in my urine. Honeslty I wouldn't even know where to get that type of drug. They made me feel a drug addict. We were all very confused. If you google it, if u take tramodol it shows up false positive for pcp in a  urine drug test. I was shocked. Then I saw so manyv vstories like me with the seizure and all. I'm tampering off slowly. I'm taking four a day but scared. I have not want to take this medication bc of what happened to me. St Johns wart seems to help with my mood adn detox tea helps with some uneasyness. Just wondering if anyone had anyother ideas. Please people be safe I am very lucky, it could have been worse. Drs over give it bc they say its not addicting but its a very dangerous drug. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.
I was reading this after googling that I need help detoxing from tramadol.  Believe me, I totally undertand where you're coming from.  I have went one day without any and then my order would come in and take them right away.  Have you ever fully detoxed from them?  I've heard it takes a long time, unlike other pills.  Do you take anything to help during the process?  I am trying to ween of them now but its almost like I just need to quit cold turkey in order to be -DONE!  It truely *****!  I don't want to be an addict anymore.  My kids, husband, myself..all sffering and all I can think about is the next shipment.  It's my fault and I get that but, the only reason, I started getting these, initally was my dr was going to put me on a hard core pain narcotic and I wanted something that wasn't so addicting and tramadol is what he gave me.  I've been on it for about three years now and I want my life back.  I  know what you mean about the, no support.  Honestly, my husband is military(we live on a army post) and have three young daughters. None, of my family is here.  Havent made friends that I truely trust enough to talk to.  My husband does what he can but for the most part, his hands are tied.  Would love to do a rapid detox but, who can afford that?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?
I agree that some have let this addiction get out of hand. Please keep in mind that that is not the case with everyone. I am 35 years old and I have had 5 knee surguries and multiple others as well. I was diagnosed with arthristis through out my body about a year and half ago. I am hyper sensitive the meds so I am super careful with narcotic pain meds. I rare finish my scrips after a surgury and try to cut pills in half if possilbe to take less. My doctor prescribed Tramadol for me a year and a half ago for chronic joint pain. 50 mg 3 times a day as needed. I am the mother of small children I choose not medicate unless I just can't avoid it. But struggle with sleeping due to pain. So I only take them at night before bed. I take 150 mgs at night before bed thats it. Over the last year I have  been to a cardiologist I was referred to from my reg doctor due to experiencing symtoms (symptoms) irradic heart beat, fainting, nausea, loss of appetite, muscle spasms, ear ringing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, diarreah (diarrhea) and several other symptons. Upon receiving my script I was told that this was a non-narcotic so it was safe! MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT! So when I returned to him with all these symptoms he sent me to a cardio specialist. I had to wear a heart monitor for a month. They found nothing.
But then last week my insurance called and asked if I would switch to their mail in pharmacy as it was more financially beneficial. I agreed and they said that they will mail out new scrip in about a week. Well I ran out of my reg scrip 4 days ago. I just figured I could work through the pain till my meds came. I can not describe how horrible I have felt the last four days. I literally hurt everywhere, I ache and am lethargic with no energy. I have a headache, shakes and I haven't slept in four days. Complete insomnia.  I could not figure out why I felt this bad. Never occurred to me that it could be the meds. my doctor said they were safe. It dawned on me this morning that it has been 4 days since my last dose or slept since. This alarmed me enough that I got online and did a little research only to find out this is very addictive and that I have ALL the side effects and the withdrawl (withdrawal) as well. How did this happen? I am so careful. Still I had doubts so I called my mom we talked for a long time and decided to go call in rx to refill and then ween off. I picked up the scrip at 4pm today and took one right then within 45 mins I was feeling better not just pain level went down but all other symtoms (symptoms) too. This pretty much has me convinced that my body is addicted to this medicine. AND THAT SOME HOW MY DOCTOR DID THIS! I don't abuse it at all and still I find myself in this situation. I managed to have over 8 surguries where they gave me opiates/narcotics to recover and never aquired an addiction but somehow managed it with Tramadol. The withdrawal from this is BRUTAL. I have children and cannot survive 4 days without sleep. I am beyond exhausted just trying to make it through the day. So please try not to be judgemental addiction is hard and I guess I never realized how hard until today. I have set up a calendar with my husband to detox slowly and ween myself off then I am going to get a new doctor and see what we can do for my chronic pain. I hope there are some alternatives out there that will work out better for me. Thanks all of you for sharing your experiences I had no idea how bad this was.
I understand exactly what you are going thru April. Over the last 5 years, I have been on and off this horrible medicine many times. It is the worst feeling, especially the lack of sleep and the restless legs. Towards the end, I was eating 300 to 400 mgs 3 or 4 times a day. This wasn't to get high, it was simply to ease the pain from a spine accident due to a motorcycle wreck.
It is imperative that you get off Tramadol if you want a normal life back as it only gets harder and harder to come off of and the pain will last longer next time. I had found some relief with GABA.. Find a herbal store and tell them your problem. They can be very helpful. If need be, replace it with another opioid antagonist for a little while. Tell your doctor and maybe he will have knowledge of something new. If no success, please taper off by ONLY using 1/2 tab for a week or two, then even less. Don't take it for pain, take it only to reduce the detox symptoms. THERE IS AN END TO THIS... God Bless
Wondering how you guys are doing?  This is my 2nd day off of them and i have a bit of vertigo, shaking, didn't sleep last nite.  Had to leave work today, didn't feel well at all.....
i have been taking  tramadol for eight years.  my dr never told me that when i try to stop it would be like living in a nightmare.  i was taking up to 600mgs a day and about a year ago i had enough of that and i bagan to wean myself off of them.  i am now down to 75mgs a day and i am having the hardest time getting off of even that small amount.  what can i do to relax myself at night to get some sleep. my dr has given me some zolof to help with the legs shaking but i am scared as hell that i am going to be addicted to that too so i am suffering suffering. any advise.

I feel your pain aprils22 and all......
You might not understand that alot of people have been prescribed ultram/tramadol for months for ie broken bone, car accident, surgery, etc. The patient decides, on his on, he or she doesn't wish to depend on meds no matter how bad the pain is. You stop taking them, period! The doctor, being the idiots that they are, don't tell you not to do that bc they don't understand how horrible this drug really is. It's day 4 or 5, you can't sleep, you can't get your temperature right, you feel weird, crazy, not right....you don't know what's wrong with you!!!! You go on the Internet and start looking aroung and discover you are having freaking withdrawal symptoms!!!! You are not a drug addict and you freak out. You go tell your doctor and instead of helping you, he puts it down in your permanent medical record and it's there forever. Paints you as the person with the problem... Yes, sometimes, ppl are just drug abusers. But sometimes it happens to normal ppl who have no desire to be on drugs. Doctors need to be better educated about the dangers of tramadol. It's effects are far worse than other pain meds. It affects your seratonin and dopamine parts of your brain in a way Percocet and Vicodin could never do. I wish everyone the best of luck in tapering off this horrible meducation. I'm working on my tapering off. I'd like to slap my DR right in this face, haha!
I too was prescribed Tramodol from my doctor for about 4 yrs.  I started getting really bad headaches that made me sick, while driving one day too.  When I mentioned this to my doctor she said I was overusing pain killers.  I thought......'What! I'm overusing pain killers that you have prescribed, I am overusing'  I felt that I'd done something wrong like abusing them or something.  I used to take 300mg a day as prescribed by my doctor but now I'm overusing!!!!!  Anyway, she took them off my prescriptions, that was it, no more Tramodol.
It has been 5 weeks on the 30 April since I took a tramodol, I don't have headaches anymore which is fab but I think I have only had about 2 nights where I have slept right through the night.  I still get those horrid, horrid muscle spasms & they start when I am ultra relaxed.  When will this stop.
I have tried nytol, nite nurse & herbal remedies to help me sleep, nothing works.
You are right, the doctors don't explain that this drug is a nasty drug & you'll have a hard time coming off it once it starts making you sick.
I only take paracetamol now for the pain, does it work? I'm not sure but with Tramodol, I could hop, skip & jump.  I can't do that anymore.  But I wouldn't go back onto Tramodol & I would definately do my reseach before I am put on any other tablet wich I'm trying to avoid.
Good luck to you & everyone else who is trying to come off Trammy's..  
I to was addicted to tramadol and loratab10/500. I was on them for about 3 years before I accepted the fact I was abusing them. I was taking about 8-9 tramadols 50mg a day and 8-9 loratab 10 aday. I know, its a lot. The doctor told me I had several things wrong with my back. After sometime I ask for the paperwork showing what was wrong with my back and legs and she couldn't produce it so I said enough was enough. I had bad headaches and muscle aches aswell. It was a long and hard recovery and still battle it to this day and it has been 2 years this month. During the withdrawl (withdrawal) stages  I didn't sleep, had terrible anxiety and just aggitated all the time an dno energy what so ever. BENEDRYL works. Take two 1 hr before bed.  Benedryl helps relieve symtoms (symptoms) of drug abuse. The recovery is faster if you use this products. Anything for motion sickness helps to. My doctor gave me Atarax. He said it was the same thing as benedryl. It makes you sleepy and calms you down without the addiction. I used it for a few weeks and was too drowsy so I got benedryl and its perfect. $2 at Walmart gets you many nights of rest and after about 4 days your energy starts to come back. You actually rest and don't toss and turn and wake up in pain. Good luck, hope it works for you
i started tramodol 3 months ago and I am only on 100mg a day. I want to quit but every time I stop for the first day i get these shocks through out my head. Is that normal? Does it pass? Oh and it does help with my depression cuz the first day I took them I felt like super woman. Please help I want to stop and Im scared
Hi Rez,
I started on my Tramadol a few weeks ago to ease my symptoms from OXY withdrawals. SO today was supposed to be day 2 of coming off of both cold turkey, but I caved and got my Tramadol prescription refilled. I don't know how you could handle multiple withdrawals, they suck. ANyway I am right back in it again and feeling lost. I am going to an NA meeting tonight trying to get some clarity. I really want to quit both of these. Last week i started taking both knowing I was going to do cold turkey this week. It's just so dissapointing, what did you tell yourself when you would relapse?
Randy
wow this site helps alot its unblieveable the support u feel here i started from the top comments(older ones)and got so into it that its been hrs that i decided to stop reading for now. but i wonna thank everyone...Iam on day 3 of 4-5 pills a day at 50mg cold turkey uffff it is very hard but can be done as i feel tinybit better everyday but only the strogest survive and i hope i do.. so i moved to texas about 3 months ago from florida and this week i was finally was able to get insured and go to a doc out here but they couldnt give me a refill cuz they didnt have my records and it would take hrs they said but i was already on day 1 so i just wanted to break down and cry due to that i been on tramadol for 2yrs and i didnt know what i would do without or how i would feel. everyday it was something different on to why they could not prescribe they treated me like a addict cuz they knew i was addicted and that for me was so hard to accept (that i was an addict) i felt like i wasnt normal untill i got on here..I have never been addicted to anything and i have only tried pot when a teen and didnt like it and never tried any other drugs and i was sooo proud of that cuz ive been around alot of addicts in my life including my husband who is a recoving addict from a realllyyyyyy bad heroin habit from  before i met him methadone is what works for him but any how eventho i was the only person to ever believe in him and his only tru support i never did understand the W/D thing i thought he exagarated a lil and would always tell him i.e "u could get off the meth if u wanted it enough" and etc ..(after yrs of him being on it and addicted to it not at first)  but even giving him my support i never really understood..but boy i soon as i felt addiction to the tramadol  i knew what he meant especially now but thank God hes is helping me and doing everything he can to help(when he gets off work) taking care of the kids,cooking,groceries etc.. i truly have a bigger bond with him now cuz i finally understood and now hes there for me i think this had to happened so i can truly help others one day but with full understanding...the hardest part thru these days is that my husband works first shift iam a stay at home mom of 3 lil kids and going thru this and having to take care of them while hes at work is sooooo hard and so depressing to look at my kids as i lay on the couch all day and watch them play and want me to go with them or look at something since i have always been an active and excellent mother and housewife ..its so hard to do this with them but iam being strong and taking care of them and they just think i got back pain like always.. thats how i got started on the tramadol....God bless everyone..to those getting off good luck and to those already FREE CONGRATS i wonna get there woohoooo lol take care guys
So , for hip and knee pain i was prescribed tramadol 10 years ago i took two 50 mg caps 3 times a day along with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

5 years ago i reduced my dose to 1 50mg cap 3 times daily

i dont take them now for real pain i take them because without them i have the worse pain ever caused by them lol.

i cant pin point where i feel the pain its just right up and down my legs in my brain and everything its so bad

i can cut down to two a day and be a bit miserable  

cold turkey is the way ive came off alcohol and codeine and valium ive been off them for years , i dont crave tramadol it doesnt give me a hit , i just take it because without it im in so much pain

ive managed 2 days off them before i just wish someone can tell me how long the pain will last when going cold turkey _
Idk know where to begin!! I can't even believe i have ever became this way.  I'm now up to 14 to 16 pills a day! My son passed away 2 years ago 6-22-10  at 2months and 20 days old due to suffocation while sleeping at the babysitters.  I was in the process of weaning myself off with the help from my doctor when my son passed away, then I didnt care about quitting in fact I got worse an it spiraled out of control. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow who thinks i have overcome this. So i'm ashamed to tell her all about this. I get perscribed 240 a month from the pain clinic due to back issues.  They dont even last me a month mayb they last 2 and a half weeks. Smh, So i'm going to go to my doctor and see what she can do to help my anxiety and sleeplessnes that I will have quitting cold turkey starting Thursday.  Which is the last day that I quit working at my job that I have been at for almost 7 years. I'm getting a much higher paying job, and i want a fresh start with my life. I take this **** just to make me feel normal...it doesnt make me high even a little bit, I cant stand the feeling of being high. Narcotics I couldnt take like the tramadol because they do alter my moods.  I'm just really scared and I'm really excited at the same time. I'm so ready to rid this drug from my life. I have 2 wonderful children they are my entire world, my life, and a wonderful amazing loving husband... and I have to do this for them and also for me.  I know it has to start with me but they are my motivation. I have a wonderful support system i ahev the best sister and the best daddy anyone could ever ask for. They play a major part in my life. I love this website to find others like myself to know I'm not alone. If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it!!
hi there can u help me please
What you need to keep in mind is that tramadol works through different mechanisms. While it does bind to opiate receptors, it also inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine -- a mechanism similar to certain antidepressant medications. Some of the withdrawal symptoms described here sound like they are related to abrupt discontinuation syndrome, a set of symptoms associated with a drop in levels of these neurotransmitters secondary to abrupt discontinuation of these types of antidepressants. Mood disturbances can include dysphoric or depressed mood, emotional lability, irritability, anxiety, and profound fatigue. Peripheral symptoms may include dizziness, electric shock-like sensations called paresthesias, and ringing of the ears. This is the reason why taking an opiate, such as Vicodin described in an earlier post, did little to quell the symptoms. Vicodin does not affect the activity of these neurotransmitters.

Tramadol is well known for its antidepressant activity, but it's opiate activity limits its usefulness as an antidepressant. If you believe you need an antidepressant, and tramadol has helped you, you might ask your doctor to prescribe one of several available drugs that possess the same antidepressant activity, but without the opiate activity. Some of those drugs are Cymbalta, Effexor, and Pristiq.

I have just detoxed off of Benzos and am taking 100mg of tramadol for chronic pain.  Sometimes none.  I need to get off this drug but am afraid.  any information would be very helpful
I am on day 3 with very little to no tramadol. Yesterday and last night was hell. I woke up this morning in a complete sweat. I usually take 400mg or more a day. And I dropped to 50mg 3 days ago. Yesterday I took none and today I took 1 50mg with no help. I have arthritis in my knees and I am feeling the pain coming back. The tramadol is like wd40 for my knees it takes the pain away and I can get through my day like normal. I felt like I was getting addicted because I was taking 8 pills a day or more and I was like whoooa. So I stopped and now I realized what the fuss is about. IT *****.. Now I am starting to feel a little better as far as the withdrawls 3rd day, but the pain in my knees is back. I have been on Tramadol for about 2yrs because nothing over the counter worked anymore. Aleeve worked for awhile but I was taking too many. So I told my Doctor I wanted something that I would not get addicted to and that I could focus and not be "dopped up" while at work. That is how I got started on Tramadol.

Coming from a family of addicts I was blessed with not having the addict gene as I do not drink or do illegal drugs like most of my family either did and died or they are in AA meetings with years of sobriety. So with the docotrs adivse I started Tramadol. And it was great the pain was gone I could go through my day with no pain. I want to be pain free without being dependant on a drug and at this point I am at a crossroads, either deal with the pain and continue not taking the Tramadol since I am at the end of the withdrawls or start taking it again to get rid of the pain.....
I AM AddICTED REALLY BAD AS WeLL, I  GO THROUH 60 TRAMADOLS IN 2-3 DAYS,  I WANT TO GET OFF THEM SOOO BAD. I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW AS I HAVE 2 BABYS AND I AM SCARED OF THE WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) SYMPTOMS BECAUSE OF THEM
How many mgs per day would you say you were taking?  I do 800.  Started at 300, that didn't do  anything, so I upped it.  Not too bright but that's where I,m at
I've been off/on Tramadol for 6yrs. I'm finally over it. I want to be the master of my body and there are many other ways to feel good. I took 8/day (was on 2/day for yrs but the hunger keeps growing little by little) and now I'm cold turkey day-3. From my experience there is no difference in withdraw from 1pill/day to 8pills/day. It ***** hardcore. I have a friend who was on 60/day and quit cold turkey too. He said he cried for 3 days, then was better (doctor told him he should be dead so if your that far you need to see a good doctor please). I hate to say it but I'm sorta a veteran with all this and I have a few tips for everyone.

1. Get a script for restless legs syndrome and take it for the first 2 or 3 days (don't get hooked on it). This will help. You will still toss and turn a lot but it's manageable, and you don't feel like your muscles are crawling and spasming as much.  

2. Go to a Health-food store and load up.
Lemon balm oil - (natural Xanax) was the best
Magnesium
Holy Basil - also helps lift your spirits
St.Johns Wart - help you relax
D 3
Omega 3
(These are not a super quick fix but will help trust me)
3. Also
Benadryl Gel caps to help you sleep but i think they also gave me a headache
Nyquil (don't take too much, but it can help you the first few nights)
Diarrhea Tablets - some people get this reaction some don't
Drink TONS of water to flush your system and I even use the Detox Tea

Next is the emotional problems. This to me is the worst. All I can say is IT WILL NOT LAST!!!! IT IS NOT FOREVER!!! and IT"S NOT YOU, ITS THE DRUGS LEAVING YOUR BODY. You will wake up soon and feel good again. I know this is easier said than done but don't let your mind wander down crappy roads. Stop it, slap some cold water on your face or take a hot shower and keep telling yourself you are in boot-camp and soon you will be on the other side and feel very good again (with healthy diet and exercise)

Once you feel physically up to it and as soon as possible get on a treadmill or something because this will REALLY help! You will release your own natural pain meds into your body after a hard sweat and leave there feeling really good. This surprised me the first time I tried it. I was feeling like death and thought what the hell I'll try it and WOW!

Lay out in the sun (or tanning booth) this will lift your mood too.

I can't say it enough that you have to keep a strong mind. Don't watch any emotional movies, don't think about past romance or deceased family or pets. Don't go through the old family album. KEEP GUARD over your mind for a week. It will pass. You will come out in the end feeling really good I promise.

The good thing with Tramadol is it never really lets you get too down in the dumps, the problem I've learned is that it also never really lets you get all that happy or excited in life. My goal now on day 3 of my last spout with this drug is to get in a gym and if nothing else get a walkers high and start feeling really good like I used to before the LIE of drugs was introduced into my life. Ever wonder why it always seems the happiest people are the ones who exercise and don't do drugs, yet we take them to be happy but aren't? I read somewhere that something like 80% of people on narcotics are only taking them to not feel withdraw with no more benefits. Its a huge decision but please don't be another sad story of a life in chains. We can do better! Jesus called me to a better life and I'm taking it. But man withdraw really hurts :)

One last thought. The pain you feel is normal and everyone goes through the same crap. It's not unique to you so don't feel alone!

hello im jamie i am on my 3rd day of cold arkey from tramadol **** so hard to run a house hold and to detox i was first on them about 4years ago cause i have had surgery on my lower back and i got them i feel so alone and i cant do this cold turkey so im just getin a script to go down slowly i really wanna be normal for the sake of my love ones im tryin to be strong
If I relapsed on tramadol after 36 hours clean, did I just start the processs all over again?
Im totally hooked on tramodols.  Ive had maybe 6 a day for the last four days...I have about 6 left total...Im freaking out.  the 6 im taking isnt enough..im anxious...sleepless...in pain all over..mainly my legs.  Im scared to death...Im out...im tired of this...I dont want to do it anymore...any way to detox my system or any sleep aids helpful??  I took melotonin and valerien root last night..still I only slept a few hours.  I started seeing an acupuncture dr. to help with physical pain..and Ive been told fish oil is the way to go...4grams a day to assist with pain...and to tell you the truth its only been two days since I took fish oil and its noticeably better.  Still I cant tell you how bad the anxiety and sleeplessness is !!! I need a little help.  thanks!
you really made some sense!!! Im so thankful you took the time to write tips down and suggestions for those of us still battling!! Thank you so much.
Hi blondy740 and welcome!  
So glad you found this site; there are lots of people here that have experienced what you are going through and can help out with information and support as you go through this process.  I took Tramadol for a long time (over 15 years), and can totally relate to how you are feeling right now.  I would be happy to share some suggestions of things that helped me get through the detox and withdrawal.  How long have you been taking it and how much were you taking?  Are you getting it from your doctor?  The anxiety and restlessness are really common w/d symptoms, which fortunately do not last for more than a few days once you have quit completely.  Are you planning to quit cold turkey (you mentioned you only have 6 left).  The post above with the tips is from 2012 (this is an older thread).  It does have some good suggestions.  You may also want to check out the Thomas Recipe (click on the link on the bottom of this page - right side); it is a 'protocol' for opiate withdrawal and has lots of good information and  helpful remedies.  You can also start a new thread (and will likely get more responses to your individual questions) by clicking on "Post a question" in the brown box at the top of the page.  And/or I'd be happy to help you out w/some suggestions, send me a message any time.  Tramadol is a tough med to withdraw from; it does not let go easy.  But it can be done - and you sound like you are ready!  In any case, you have found the right place - you are not alone in this :)
Julie
I am on day five of quitting Tramadol 'cold turkey.' As a former runner with bad knees, I began using Tramadol to prolong the running of marathons. That was four years ago. On average I use take 90 50mg in a week not to continue running (gave that up 3 years ago), but because I can't function without it. Last Friday morning I decided to quit and flushed remaining tablets 'down the drain.'

Friday was not too bad. Saturday and Sunday were terrible. I missed my granddaughter's birthday and father's day brunch (I told all that I have the flu) and barely managed to get out of bed (except to run to the bathroom every hour or so). Today is much better. No sweats/shaking, greatly reduced sense of anxiety or sudden urges to use the bathroom.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! I refuse to relapse and order more Tramadol via the internet. Good luck to all who take the brave step to quit. You can do it.
Hi all. I hope there are still people checking back to this thread as I could do with some advice. I'm on 400mg of slow release Tramadol a day and the only advice I've been given by my Dr is to gradually reduce the dose. I've been on tram for 3 years and finding it extremely difficult to cut back even a little bit as it makes me feel so awful.
If your still on here iam about to stop taking tramadol last time I did I went 5 days an still felt horrible just like a detox off any other opiate
I can't ween myself down
My question is how long did it take you to detox an has your wife done it
dear joe357:
this was helpful. i felt i was reading a day in the life of "me".. it go for the energy boost after the accident and that was about 2 years ago.. it was easy to get via my GP & it is not a red flag opiate. i took 2 tabs of tramadol with my coffee on the train to work and by arrival i was ready to get down to business.

i only take 300mg a day & was shocked when someone suggested I go to the hospital to detox (10 days and you are locked into the hospital). It just felt medieval (this is germany by the way)

i will take your TAPER advice & realise that i need other forms of energy givers .. like regular sport, etc.
I am so glad I have found you all...
I am sooo badly addicted... and have no idea where to go... to talk to... i think, as you may all understand...if you have never suffered.. trudged thru an ailment like this... then one can hardly relate. my friend just says, " just ******* quit."
Its been seven and a half years... I tried to quit cold turkey... three weeks ago.. oh my goodness what a nightmare.
Fast heartbeat... anxiety... hot flashes, cold flashes, restless leg... mood is AWFUL. my poor fiance. he has no idea. and I snap at him.
I would take hot baths... those exacerbated the withdrawals.
I actually went into a detox a few years ago...it was a state program... and sadly enough... one of the male nurses gave me what he claims ambien... but having been prescribed that for a long time... I know damn well it wasnt... i became so dizzy, I felt like I drank a gallon of whiskey... passed riiight out... then at 3 am wide awake.
my detox was odd... I shared a bathroom with men... men on my floor, next room... as a 36 year old woman.. ( at that time I was 33, 34) i didnt find the situation comfortable... and because we abuse Tramadol.. ( I guess that isnt the drug o'choice) they had no idea to treat me.
It was awful.
and im scared to go back to that kind of environment
so, my addiction is killing me... mentally, physically... I am just so scared.
I take... i'd say 10 50 mgs a day... sometimes more... and some less.
its out of control.
reading some of your posts just now made me feel... relieved... and intimidated.
How can I do this?
I was just laid off... so, my depression is full boar.. I find myself just doing... walking circles.
How do you get your mind off of those withdrawals?
Please, if anyone can.. words of advice.. i am so scared... Id be forever grateful... i just need someone in my corner.. that i guess.. understands.
I wish all o f you... heartfelt luck... and success.
Best.. anne
How you holding up? I am on day 4 and I can't say I like it...300mg for 9 months dosent even seem very long by a long shot. Good luck everyone.
Tramadol you dirty little ****...I am soon to be 56 yrs and have not had any interaction with dope since the early 80's...yippy that was fun and the hungover empty feelings were just a shared nudge nudge wink wink when one ran into old friends from that era...getting older, need a new hip but have to wait the doc says...okay how do I put up with the constaint pain is high on my list...not to worrie there is this new med called Durela...it works and boy did it..the pain is mostly gone and I can sleep for the first time in months...november rolls around and its time to get back to mexico and once there you know you can get pain reliefe from brujas there...so I get as many tramadol as I need to get me to mexico...good to be back...good old safe meds in mexico do the trick and I am fine...untill the second day...grab yer ancles cause here comes the train...day 2 is laying in bed shaking so violently and for so long, so damn much shaking...this will go on forfucking ever...everyone is freaked but none more than me...sleep is forgotten memory and now my brain is smoking...people, freinds for years look at me but not everyone wants to get too close because of the brain zaps...now through days 3,4, and 5 no sleep and the dumb **** that goes along with that...in my mind I have built an advertiseing campain for a non exsistant company ands its clear that it cannot fail...hallusonations also a fun little zap for most of one night...morning of day 6...a bit of sleep,2 hrs now in 6 days, makes me want to go outside and not get the rope this time...there is hope.
For me it has been very much like going on a nice trail ride but once you payed the man and want to get of the horsy this dirty and nastiest of all rodeo is just to begin and you are glued to the bucken bronk...well go **** yourself horsy I am going to run you into the ground!!!
Hi all , I've been taking di-hydracodine and tramadols at times when I had no codeine left for many of years now and taken only 1 yesterday and now im in my first day without any , usually take about 10 Di-hydrocodiene a day how long will my physical symptoms last HELPP PLS ....!!! I'VE got cold sweats and cramps at minute ,can any1 give me any advice , email is ***@**** thanks people and STAY STRONG I'm trying lol
Lee, I know what you're going through.  I'm on day 7 w/o the trams.  I was taking 10 50 mg tabs a day and I quit CT.  I've been dependent on Vicodin, Norco and Trams on and off over the last 5 years with Trams being the hardest as far as the WD symptoms.  I'm not one who can taper so CT was the only option.  All I can say is that these pills change peoples personalities.  Although you may like the feeling while you're on them, you are not the person you were when you were clean.  As far as the WD symptoms, the cramps and sweats should start to subside after days 5 or 6.  I went through the sweats, severe cramps, severe chest pains and bathroom issues.  Make sure you try to eat each day, drink lots of water, have Imodium (immodium) on hand and what really helped me was taking a probiotic for the stomach issues.  When on these pills, your digestive system really takes a hit and you need to get the good digestive enzymes back to where they used to be.  Also, hot baths are awesome for the muscle cramps.  The physical symptoms are only the beginning, you really need to be thinking of aftercare as well, like a good addiction support group.  If I can help, just message me anytime and I'll do my best to help you through with what you're going through.  I've been there, done that :).  Dave
Wanted to welcome you to the forum (welcome you back Dave) and suggest that you both post a new comment/question which will get you both on the current activity forum page.  This thread started back in 2007 and not too many people are still around.

There are a lot of recovering tramdol warriors on this forum....lots of help specific to tramadol.  There's even an ongoing journal where just tram warriors talk back and forth to each other if interested.

Hope you'll both start a new thread of your own....this holiday weekend may be a bit slow....but somebody's usually awake and ready to help.
I would like to apologize for my English. I live in London  three years ago. I use tramadol for over 5 years, I have cancer and it make me unbearable pain all over my body. I would like to stop this but I use this medicine 1200 mg \ day. I often run out but I am scared to go to the ER, ask for a new prescription. I am getting 200 pieces every month. I do not know what to do, I think I will commit suicide tonight. I am 34 years old, and I have nothing in my life only this stupid drug.Please help someone.
Welcome to the forum~  No need to apologize...your English is GREAT!!

This is an older thread and not a lot of the forum members that posted here are still around.  If you can go to the top of this page and find the orange post a question button....then put your comment there...it will get more visibility and more people can comment and help you.

I am sorry you are in pain and to learn of your cancer.  It seems that maybe you need to talk to the dr. that prescribes the tramadol and tell them it isn't taking care of your pain.  They can give you something different that might control your pain.  If you are suicidal....please DO go to the ER and talk to someone.  You shouldn't have to suffer.
Please try and post this again by going to the orange post a question tab....it will actually start your very own thread where many people can see what you are going through and respond.
You life is WORTH living....even if you don't feel that way right now....I remember feeling that way too.....but my head was fogged with drugs when I was thinking that way.  
Hope to hear more from you...hang in there.....you are worth it~