Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
detox....post surgery

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

detox....post surgery

I've been reading all these withdrawl (withdrawal) stories but no one is describing exactly what happens during withdrawl (withdrawal) and how long it lasts. I was taking tylonal#3 for several months prior to a surgery for a severe case of neuroma and just stopped 5 days ago. My nerves were a little rattled so I went on a detox lemonade diet thinking I need to cleanse my system. I feel terrible. Im not sure if its the diet or the fact I've stopped. I was down to i pill a day, SO WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF DETOX ?
Tags: Addiction
Everyone is different but in general its like the worse flu you have ever had. Sweats/chills, runny nose, body aches,restless legs,sleeplessness...etc.
More than likely its withdrawal.  When I first stopped I got so sick I went to the ER; they told me I had a respiratory virus.  Later, I realized it was w/d.  I guess believeing that it was a virus helped me not focus on the w/d.  You may feel weak, achy, anxious, some diarrhea, maybe chills and sweats also trouble sleeping. Most of us felt or are feeling just about all of the above. But, it will all pass..you are actually probably thru alot of the worst now since youre on day 5; so keep it movin, dont look back.
thanks...I have flu symptoms and tramatic diarreha....today i am very bloated and nausious, nerve ends a bit on edge. Running a hot bath. Should I keep fasting?
Forgot to mention sore throat....no runny nose. But I ache, oh do I ache.
You probably dont feel much like eating anyway; but you want to make sure that you are getting some nutrition...protein and stuff.  I had absolutely no appetite during that time but I supplemented with a protein drink.  Try a liquid meal type of thing b/c not getting any nutrition will make you feel weaker.  Maybe Ensure or Nutrament or something.  Also, take a multi-vitamin or whatever vitamins you have around.  If you can get your hands on some "milk thistle", it comes in a caplet or tea..its  really good for the liver and helps it to get rid of toxins.  We have all abused our livers for so long, this herb really helps it.  Drink lots and lots of water.  Youll be fine.
If you are doing the fast with the lemon juice/cayanne pepper/maple you should keep doing it. My husband just did it for weight purposes and in our research it said that it was very helpful in people with addictions. Reduces cravings and detoxes the body in a healthy way. And you are getting plenty of fluids.
you also get loads of vitamins and minerals from it as well as 1300 calories a day.
Funny you should mention that about fasting being good, I havent had any cravings for cigerettes, wine, or pain killers. I was never a heavy smoker or drinker but I have absolutly no desire for it at the moment.
and.......alot of aches and pains, I feel like everything is traped in my colon screaming to get out....and it probably is.
Thanks so much, I hesitated posting because I really wasent sure. I had taken medication for other surgeries and stopped them with no problem thats why I've been scratching my head about this go around.
Not sure if your response was a comment or a question. The fast is a 4-7 day regime  where you drink 7-12 glasses of water a day each glass you put 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, 1/2 lemon and a dash of cayenne pepper...I have gone light on the cayenne. The runs are uncomfortable but I think in my case this is a Real detox so the symptoms are intense, thus I have no desire to have this experience again but will continue for possible 4 more days. The only food allowed is clear broth in the evening at the end of the day. Some diets say that smooth move tea is recommended but in my case it would be a disaster so I am taking Psyllium/w water instead.
Maple syrup has lots of nutrients and minerals and is an excellent sorce of nutrition. I am not a holistic vegan. On the contrary...I only found this because I wanted to clean up the colon and liver. Didnt realize I was going to detox from pain killers at the same time.
tex
The New York Times did an article about the cleanse. You could look it up. They said cravings were reduced for food,smoking,drugs,alcohol. If you are on day 5 you are doing great. Keep it up. take some immodium and lots of hot baths.
symptoms while detoxing (for me, just 5 days now, everybody's different):
-strong anxiety about can I do this and also strong cravings for pills
-diarrhea
-runny nose, coughing, hard time breathing
-sweats/chills
-feel like you have to get in the fetal position but can't sleep
-a little restless leg

what helped me this week the most:
-cutting off pill sources - dang hard, ouch
-pleading with God to give me help only He can give and trying to give up the conceit that I can do this on my own
-Thomas recipe (used liquid valerian extract from health food store instead of sleep pills; this is very nasty, like drinking dirty socks,ick, but helped)
--as soon as I could (about day two) taking vitamins
-as soon as I could (about day three) eating fresh vegetables/fruit (on the pills I just didn't have much interest in food)
-staying busy and away from pill-hunt activities
-reading scripture for light on this twisted thing I've been doing to myself
-reading posts in this forum at the same time I'm craving, anxious--and for this one, which has saved me several times, I thank all of you

jaxa

There is also a site for it.. its called the Master Cleanse. Hell if you aren't craving I might start it tommorrow. My husband lost 20 lbs. just getting rid of toxins and all the mucus dairy produces. It makes your bowels crazy so you are getting hit double with that and the withdrawl (withdrawal).
I've heard about the lemonade diet but only for weight loss...but if it could help w/cravings I'll give it a try.  Already have most of the stuff cuz a friend and I were gonna do it to lose weight like a year ago, but I didnt follow thru.  And I could sure use some weight loss in my life.
I heard about the artical in the Times and then I looked it up on the internet. I have only fudged the diet by taking alka-selzer this morning. On a Saturday night about this hour I would be thinking hmmm glass of red or white? NO DESIRE. Along with that would accompany a day end cigerette or 3. again NO DESIRE. Check it out....I feel terrible but my skin is improving by the day. Just bought some Psyllium to replace Aloa Vera. I think it will help scrape the bottom of the barrel!
Cheers to Detox! ouch....ps Did your husband have bloating?
Hiya,

I have, of course, seen this info. many times from  many folks but wanted to put them together ...

1. Drink lots of water, juice, etc. to help your system FLUSH out

(Juice etc. is also a good source of nutrients if you acn eat yet.)

2. Be sure to address 'the runs'-- not just because it's uncomfortable but, also, and more importantly, this DEPLETES important nutrients and such (as it's a product of the large intestine not absorbing useful stuff and, thus, your stool remains 'loose' not having been 'reduced to' only stuff the intestines didn't 'wamt')

SO, FLUIDS TO FLUSH your system BUT SOLIDS (solid poops that is) to ENSURE nutrition absorption.
Sorry....forgot to mention it is the water/lemon/maple syrup and cayenne fast. I started it not for wieght loss but just to detox everything....antibiotics, anistesia, pain meds and whatever else.
When an addict or alcoholic enters addicton treatment, it is easy for family members to begin thinking it might somehow be their fault. They think, maybe if they had done something differently at some point in life, their loved one would not be in this position.
-----------------
Tanyaa
Drug Detox