Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
drug abuse/ drug habit???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

drug abuse/ drug habit???

All drug abuse changes your personality and behavior that is why it is called a habit because a habit is something learned and done over and over until it is your norm. You are going up against probably years of learn behavior. It took most of us years to gain a habit but think a few weeks is going to stop that habit why is that? To change a habit you have to relearn what the copping skills of prior were and how they worked it is not just enough to know your copping skills you have to make them work time and time again before they become the habit and not the drug use. It takes 3-4 weeks of constant work to make something a habit. If you remember from science class Pavlo’s experiment with the dogs and there food that took months to get the desired effect he was looking for. So when going up against some one with a drug habit you have to remember that it is a learned behavior to take the drug along with the intense desire to take the drug. That is why drug abuse is considered a Mental Disorder and is classified under the DSM-4 R
do you think thats why my gf keep saying i act different like its really weird she says ive changed and i kinda feel a lil different, its like i picked up off right before i started using its weird i was really into biking and stuff and now i really wana go do it again and stuff its weird
it is a learnd behavior that attacks the brain to make you blah and if you are returning to your other habits the good habits that is great it will help decrease the urge to use. your brain is trying to find itself without the drug so it reverts back to what you did prior it might not be right if you have an injury that will cause an increase in symptoms so think about that
How true this post is! I have always said that it takes an irrevocable decision to never use again. As you stick to that decision, the urges slowly go away and now the norm is to be clean. It is a process and it does take months.
I agree with usarmymedic.. this is a learned behavior..  You feel something and then you do something for that feeling and get a result a good result you will keep on doing that.. If you got a negative result you wouldnt do it again...
You have to retrain you brain to  think in a new way, find out what the payoff is for you when you do something.. Everything we do is for a reason.. whether it is good or bad..
We did not become addicts overnight... and we are not going to change overnight.. It takes time.. I am not a very patient person.. so it is difficult for me at times to keep on the track that I want but I know that the person I was when I was on drugs is not the person I want to be anymore...