Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
drug induced seizure?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

drug induced seizure?

one of my best friends had a seizure last night.
she's 18 yrs old, recently become a more frequent smoker, has been drinking for a while, but never to any point of being drunk. so last night, we met up to go to this bar. she had previously been drinking beer with another friend, about 2 liters, she also had a bit of weed right before we met up. she's not a frequent consumer of weed, she's done it like 5 times at the most. so we were walking to the bus stop and she complained of feeling pressure on her right breast like coming from with in. she kinda rubbed to see if maybe it was the bra that was on to tight but it wasnt. and after a while she said the pressure pain went like right under her right shoulder blade and when we were on the bus, she was doing ok, but when lots of people started getting in she kinda panicked and told me she wasnt feeling right and right when we were about to get off she had a seizure. it lasted a couple of seconds and it was over. we got off and she sat on the grass and took a couple of min just to rest. and that made her feel better. i took her home and she went right to sleep. those few min just resting made her feel better and today in the morning after sleeping it off, she does feel better. but i'm conserned...what happened?! will she be ok, does she have epilepsy? (cause she's never had a seizure before) was it the weed? should she go to the dr?

ohh and after all this, she's so scared she's never smoking weed again thank god, and will take a couple of months to detox herbody of the nicotine and the alcohol
Hi--  It's not usual to have a seizure from smoking pot,drinking a few beers,and cigarettes.
Your friend needs some testing to find out what's happening in her brain...

I suggest a visit with her doctor as soon as possible. She shouldn't drive until she's tested or on meds for the seizures.

Good luck!
She needs to be seen by a doctor and come totally clean with what she has been using, how much etc.
She needs to go to an emergency room. Not a "visit to a doctor". Only in ER is rhe equipment and the expertise available to properly evaluate her condition.While it is easy to relate the problems to "drugs or alcohol" there is also a remote possibility of an aneurysm in the brain, a bleed within the brain, or a clot. She should have gone immediately to an emergency room.
I had that same thing happen to me and I smokes for first tome in a long time and hospital told me it was a rly bad panic attack from weed maybe laced or something
She should be seen by a health care professional.  The ER is probably the fastest easiest way if she doesn't have any type of insurance.  My husband used to take Xanax a lot and has always smoked weed and drank.  After not taking Xanax for a while and then took it again he had a seizure.  It was long though and really ugly.  I thought he would be okay, but when his lips turned blue I called 911.  You can't play around with stuff like that, especially without having any way to control seizures.  My best friend has also drank and smoked weed for forever.  Done other drugs too, cocaine, Ecstasy, etc etc and also xanax.  When she tried to stop taking xanax she had seizures so bad that her whole body turned black and blue and purple.  So yes, they can be drug induced.  She now STILL has seizures but they are now stress/panic attack induced.  When too much is going on she usually has them.  She can since when they are going to happen though.  I would tell your friend to keep a journal of sort of when they happen (if it happens again) and make sure if it does to go straight to the ER.  Serious health problems can come of this.  She probably does not have Epilepsy - but it still is serious.  Glad that you were with her though and she wasn't alone and glad that she didn't have a really bad one.  Makes you think more about doing drugs when stuff like that happens in front of you doesn't it?  Be careful!!!  A little high is not worth risking the rest of your life or the quality of life that you have!!!
cigarette manufactures changed the papers so the paper would not burn up as easily and i think this is casing people to have seizures. i dont think they did research on it. I knew no on who had seizure, now all of sudden i know a bunch of people who are having them.