Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
fentanyl

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

fentanyl

i have 5 herniated discs and am on 100mcg  fentanyl patch and i an still in pain. is there anything more effective?
I am on same amount of  fentanyl and as well have pain.Some hours of the day are better than others,for me.I try and let myself  be in some sort of pain durring the day for an hour or so,that my interment meds. work better.Im allow up to 4, 15mg. roxy ,somas three a day etc.It just seems to work better.Its is scarry to get to 100 and still hurt (badly),and yes their are more options.Their are a coupple of other meds at that rate of pain, to my understanding.Im pretty much in same boat.I get by with constant contact with God.All Day Long!
Once you get there, there isn't much else to go to.  Atleast not for your type of pain.  If you had terminal cancer there are other things they may use, but not for back pain.  I know how you feel, I had three ruptured discs and lived with them for 2 years.  I finally had my spine fused (and I am only 30) in January and my quality of life today is SOOO much better than it was.  I would have the surgery again in a heart beat.  I still  have some pain today, but thank God, I can deal with it without Narcotics.  Now I just get to ficus on beating the nasty addiction I developed from taking all the pain meds for my back.  BTW...be very careful with that Fentanyl...I have taken copious amounts of lots of different pain killers and the Fentanyl scared me so bad that I only tried it for a few weeks.  Many overdoses from that stuff.  In my opinion, managing pain with Narcotics is unrealistic.  Especially in someone like me who, hopefully, still has another 50 years to live.  Several Dr.'s told me that I was too young for a fusion and just keep managing it with pain meds...IDIOTS.  I found a Dr. who scheduled me for surgery the day I walked into the office and he looked at my MRI.  I thank God for him.  He has given me my life back.
I am so glad that the fusion worked for you and that you found a doc that realized something other then meds were required for you and he did it right away.  Most docs like for people to ride it out for a while - like the discs will heal on their own.

I waited for about 18 months after a MRI showed severe disc problems.  I should have pushed for a quicker operation, but was hesitant.

The operation I had was DYNESYS IMPLANTS.  Basically small "shock absorbers" screwed into the spine on both sides to stabilize the area around the herniated disc.  A new operation for the US and Canada but it worked very well.  Anyone considering fusion should ask their doc about this procedure.  It is also reversible if things should go wrong.