Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
finger chewing or biting

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

finger chewing or biting

why does my 8 yr. old son bite or chew his fingers?
I am not sure......there is a child behavior forum .....you might want to go there.

I wish you well,
Nauty..........
I used to do that too. never really knew why? I guess I still do sometimes, but not until they bleed anymore.. having fake nails helped me, I guess that wouldn't work for your son... good luck!
Avatar n tn
I have always bit/torn at my fingers since as long as I can remember. I don't remember a time in my life when I did not do it (30 years old now). I believe it's part anxiety-based and part habitual. I think both parts have to be addressed (at least for me) to be able to stop it. Talking to other folks who do it and reading what others have written makes me think that this is true for others as well. Some seem to have it to a lesser degree. I find addressing the anxiety through exercise and journaling helps me (there are other ways to address anxiety) and that addressing the habit through conscious effort, including sitting on my hands, folding my hands and increasing my awareness of when my hands get close to my face (and then doing something else with them) have all helped.
Good luck!
K