Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
gabapentin for opiate/benzo

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

gabapentin for opiate/benzo

I have a few hundred gabapentins. i've been taking about 10-12 lortabs per day and maybe 4 (2mg) xanax bars for maybe the past 2 months. if i quit cold turkey and just take the gabapentin (neurontin) will that be enough to help with withdrawals? or should i taper myself down on the vicodin and xanax a little bit, and then do the gaba therapy (i don't want to go in and have ANY doctor do anything)...

help...?
please dont stop the xanex cold turkey, there is a high risk of seizure.  the vicodin you should be okay on c/t.  if you think you can taper down with the vicodin the w/ds mite not be as bad...you will get more responses after ppl get up....you can do this....keep posting it helps and check out some aftercare it is VERY important.
The zanies need to come down slowly = as cathy advised......you are right at the cusp with those......12mg for 8 weeks is siezure time. Be careful. The Gaba will most likely not make a huge amount of short term difference.....they are not an opiate - - and thats all that your body knows............... Why do so many feel that they do not need an MD for a medical problem?
I feel compelled to answer your question which is "Why do so many feel that they do not need an MD for a medical problem? "

I tell you this :

They have made suboxone so difficult to get ($1000 or more) and _if_ you have insurace, you most likely will get canned once your job finds out, and they WILL find out. And the entrance criteria is incrediable to some of these "additicions specialists" that are nothing more than money grubbers.
Gabapentin is used in detox to help prevent seizures. I was given 400mg 3x a day and tapered off. I don't know that it helped with any other withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I take it now for pain.

Tapering is a good idea if you have the self discipline to do it. Gives your body time to adjust and ur less likely to have a seizure that way. If you've only been taking the lortabs and xanax for a couple of months you should be able to taper pretty easily. Everyone is different.

Using Benzos and Opiates together makes for a more difficult detox. Quit while you are ahead. In hindsight I'd have quit the opiates first and then the benzos. Just my opinion.
I am currently tapering from 30+ mg methadone and 20_ hydros a day using neurontin and a few hydros for pain. So far so good. Sub was simply too complex for me to deal with.... will let you all know how this goes

The Sage
I too am currently tapering from 30+ mg methadone and 20_ hydros a day using neurontin and a few hydros for pain. So far so good. Sub was simply too complex for me to deal with.... will let you all know how this goes

The Sage
Now in my first hour of the neurontin experience. No w/ds even tho I havent had a mdone since Sunday. Took 1 hydro earlier and will take one more after lunch. So far, the neuro has put a damper on the w/d;s. Anyone who has had mdone wds knows that you will take whatever relief you can get.

If anyone cares, let me know and I will update you thruout critical "day 3"  which is _usually_ when the w/ds are starting the to be the worst.

The Sage
There are many alternatives to suboxone and the money grubbing medical system.  This is where a REAL physician shines and the others continue to be moronic quacks........  It takes work, but find a physician that wants to help you.....  i have been taking nuerontin (gabapentin) for several years for nueropathy and never noticed a single benefit from it when going through withdrawals..........
Interesting (your gaba comment). I have heard debates that now say "its a Godsend". and - Its useless.
You are 100% re; a good phy. is a Godsend. I agree with that. Very rare to find.
The last time I had full blown withdrawal  Neurontin took almost every single symptom away including cravings and sleepless nights, anxiety, RLS, sweats, chills.. I take it now for spinal stenosis and it doesn't help the cravings anymore. It seems to do wonders for some but not for others. You should use this under a doctors care. You have to wean from Neurontin as you do antidepressants or risk siezures. Do not stop the Xanax ct as everyone else said, Hope you are one of the ones that it helps:o) God bless. Corey
Gabapentin or Neurontin its trade name from Pfizer actually mimics the bodys or brains own reward system known as Gaba Gama Amino Butyric Acid hence the name GABApentin however it does not lock into the same receptors according to the full prescribing info it is not known how it actually functions as is the case with many drugs but in double blind placebo studies has shown remarkable capabability in stopping cravings in any drug dependence. Prometa which is just a trademark for a protocol using 3 drugs that have been around forever flumanzenil-originally used for overdose of benzodiazapines gabapentin-originally designed for seizure and hydroxazine-an antihistamine one of the first synthesized these three used together by an MD who prescribes for its use will be using the Prometa protocol not FDA approved as of yet.
hmmm, i know several people that have takin it during w/ds with no noticable help. If it works for you thats all that matters, sometimes it mind over matter, as addicts we are use to pills helping us so parhaps it has something to do with that, who knows