Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
getting off of vicodin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

getting off of vicodin

I am taking 15- 20 vicodin E.S. a day, and I really need to stop but I don't want to be sick.  what can I do?  my husband doesn't even know but I need to get off of this ****.  I am a full time student (medical asst)  please help!!!
what is the answer
My wife has been taking my vicodin without my knowledge for about a year and is now addicted. How can I help her withdrawl (withdrawal) at home?  I really need some answers.
Same thing.  My husband is hooked on Vicodin after a motorcycle wreck injuring his neck.  He used hard drugs years ago and the monkey is awake.  He's been afraid to tell me if he's doing something other than hydrocodone, but I think he has.  How can I help him?  Thanks.
to tom martinez.

tom you cannot have your wife kick the habit a home that is impossiable , she needs to go into a treatment facility a good one so do your research, i went in beach hill hospital in connecticut, it was great, you detox with methadone, and your stay is 3 weeks, so your do not suffer withdrawel/ they also start you on an antidepressant that is wonderful you wont believe when your wife comes hoem how wonderful it will be again, see the antidepressant takes at least 3 weeks to kick in i found zoloft works the best, bt tom get her help, she cannot possiably does this alone, without a dr's help, that is dangerous. please email  me if you have any ohter question, or i would be happy to talk to your wife good luck docket3@aolcom
I have been on vicodin for about 2 - 3 years.  I had it for some surgeries and also use it for headaches.  It seems to be the only pain killer that really works.  I tried at one time to go off, but I couldn't.  Then I had got to about one a day, but I'm back up to at least two.  It kills the pain, and I feel good.  I feel like I can handle things better and I'm just more happier.  The doctor wanted me to only take one a day, but it just isn't working.  Your advice would be appreciated.
IF you have chronic pain you may need to be on narcotics for life.  Just be aware that even with real chronic pain, your tolerance will continue to grow, requiring ever higher dosages which, unless you have some serious documentation will not be forthcoming.  My advice therefore is, if you can bear it from a pain standpoint, stop using the pills.  Easier said than done, I know.  At only 2 a day, you can stop pretty easily.  My advice would be to try taking 1.75 a day for a few days or a week, then 1.5, then 1.25, etc. so when you stop you'll have no withdrawal.  You may mentally miss the pills but it will go away.  Finally, most of us here started with a small habit and ended up with a gorilla on our backs.  I remember the first time I "detoxed" it was from taking 3 Lorcet a day.  Eventually I was taking 25 a day!  Good luck.
yeah thats right started just like everyone, had the tooth ache and got the script of vikes. loved the warm buzz and thats what got me to this web site. your 1st step is listen to ***@**** take it from a guy who is no junkie. a business man. i went from 2 to 25 vikes a day in 1 year. can we live like this for ever???? i know i cant!!!!!
I have been taking viocodin afor alomost a yar now, at firwst it was just at night to help me least a bit longer during sex (which totally worked), then it turned into a problem where I was taking two, every four hours or 8-10 10's (Norco) a day. When I ran out I would take tramedol but didn't realizes until after I ran out of pills, how sick it make me.  Nights sweats, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and depression.  My doctor recently prescribed clonazepam which seems to have helped, but i have only taken it for half a day.  i can't wait to be free of these and feeling nornal again.  when i tired to go cold turkey, iI had to miss a few days at work, which was not right.  then i took a few tramadol and it seemed to make the sickness go away.  now i am taking clonazepam instead of the tramedol.  how get a get past this as quickly as possible.  i am ready to concentrate om bigger and bettre things.  Any advice that might help?  How long with these terrible withdrawal symptoms last.  should i taper off the drug, or just go cold turkey and take the     clonazepam my doc gave me.  Please help, this is not the way I want to live
I know it is confusing but you posted a response on a very old post(2000). Start a new post with your questions and responses.
thanks, not sure how to get to the other post, guess I'll see what happens.  So far I am feeling much better on Clonazepam, but hope to quite taking it within a few days.  Then I will see if I get sick again....
At the top of the page is a 'button' labeled Post a Question. Click that and then ask away.
I CAN ONLY FEEL YOUR PAIN..I WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION AND STOPPED ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO. I USED TO TAKE  7-9 PILLS A DAY OF WHAT EVER I HAD AVAILABLE. I AM A SURGICAL TECHNICIAN AND I HAD THE MEDICATION AVAILABLE. PLUS THE DOCTOR WHO I WORK FOR GAVE IT TO ME AS WELL AS OTHERS. ANYWAYS, HOW DID I STOPPED???

- IT WAS THE MOST DIFFICULT THING I EVER HAD TO DO IN MY WHOLE LIFE. I DID IT ALL ON MY OWN..GOD IT WAS HORRIBLE, BUT I DID IT. DON'T ASK ME HOW I GOT TRU WORK, SCHOOL AND MY FAMILY HAVING WITHDRAWALS..IT WAS HARD.
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO STOP AND NOT KILL YOURSELF..BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE BASICALLY DOING, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A STRONG WILL AND STOP.
I FEEL GREAT NOW!  NOW I HAVE THE POWER TO SAY NO!

GOOD LUCK..WISH U THE BEST!
Hi I'm a mother of 4, married , and Vicodin addict. I want to stop but there are a few problems. First of all I have legit pain from a skiing accident that caused permenant damage to my lower back and right knee. I've had 3 surgeries (which is how the vicodin got started). I used to manage nicely with 3 VicodinES a day. 4 years later I'm up to 10-12 a day(that amazingly don't even make me high,not even a buzz).If you met me you would have no idea I was addicted to anything. I'm also worried about the effect this is having on my kidneys due to recent symptoms (orange urine with a terrible oder, breath that smells the same etc)I've had numerous tests for a UTI that all come back Neg & the LFT tests are all normal as well. I can not tell my husband any of this. He has a family history of addiction and has no tolerance for it at all. He has no idea I am addicted and would never understand. So Rehab is out of the question, besides there is no one who could take care of my kids. I've tried to stop on my own several times and the longest I've lasted is 2 days. I was wondering if there is a way to do this and keep the withdrawal symptoms (especially the diarea (diarrhea)) to a minimum. I have access to xanax and I've read that that helps with some of the other symptoms. I need help, I want my life back. I have no one to help me because no one knows. I work full time , I am on the board of education, president of the PTA and am very involved in all of my kids schools and activities.I function just great but I have never felt so alone , frightened and helpless in my entire life. Is there some kind of home cocktail of vitamins,xanax,OTC meds, that could get me through the withdrawal? Then I worry what to do about the pain. I remember way back when ,when I could deal with it with only 3 a day. i don't understand what happened. I guess I could figure that out once I get clean. Can anyone out there help me?
At the top of the page is a 'button' labeled Post a Question. Click that and then post this again. This is an old post.
   You are at a dangerously high dose of Tylenol. If I remember correctly Vic ES is 750mg of Tylenol 10/day =7500mg....4000 mg is the MAX per day.To withdrawal it takes 4-5 days, after that it is better. Look in my journals for the Thomas recipe. There are things there to help you thru the w/ds.
Do a little research on SUBOXONE, im 3 weeks in and i didnt even think about vics or percs after the first dose of suboxone and i was also doin up to 12 a day. the pain is another issue !!! Just look up some old threads you will hear some great things on it. good luck !!
This is the post i was talking about. I was not trying to lie to anyone, it was just a mistake plus it was 2 in the am so i was a little burnt.
I am 47 years old and have used vicodins for 3 years now to get thru a bad marriage, slow business, low-self esteem and major boredom with life in general. The main problem is the 3 little chiildren who call me daddy and worship the ground I walk on. Fact is that I am better dad on the pills 95 percent of the time. 10 DAYS AGO I WAS OUTED BY THE LOCAL PHARMACIE. Now my doctor know I was adding refills to his scripts and the gig is up. My first reaction was fear but than an immediate sense of release that this weird place I live in will be coming to an end real soon. That said, I am on day 11 and just getting by at the moment. Ambien 10mg each night is something i look forward to to get me a good night sleep. My depression is as bad as it has ever been, and whiithout a family to take into consideration, suicide would have been an option at the moment.That is sort of a lie, as i think I would have tried to have the shipped to me via these online pharmacies based overseas. Anyone have any luck with them?
Best case scenario is that the depression subsides to the point where I feel better off these things than on them. I LOVED BEING ON VICODIN.This is the problem. They worked for me on so many levels.
What i did not like was the possible kidnew problems and the hassle of the doctored scripts, anxietyof getting caught.
Any one have stories on their detox in the 10-20 day period?
i feel like a loser most days. Not nice keeping i from my wife, but no choice. i am hoping in a few weeks  i acdtually get back to feeling good again sans vicodin, or figure out how to order the pills from a good overseas pharmacie who can keep my hapbit going for years.
Would rather stay clean for sure, but cannot take ths depression.
The other posts on this site have been amazing for me and i want to thank all of you who have put their love and heart into these posts.
On the fence.
rjnNY
I'm sorry but your posting on a really old thread. You'll get more responses if you put your story on a new post. Copy and paste? the green button at the top "post a question" will start a new thread and everyone can help you.
And welcome to the forum
I have had a serious problem getting off vicodin after 1 year and 4 months. They have tricked me into thinking they are my bestfriend. I have been trying to get off for a month and i'm yet to cut down, im starting to think this will be a long process. I have been addicted to other things in the past but this has really gotten hold on me, i cant even feel normal anymore without something. The feelings of worthlessness are there so i feel taking a pill is better than that. I' ve had the vicodin for so long as a crutch and never viewed it as a problem until i tried to quit. I have came clean to friends and family that were clueless so i took the first step. I just find myself miserable and depressed without them and i don't know how to not think about vicodin 24/7. I was just looking for support from people that know what i'm going through. can i kick this on my own?
Well, reading these articles, I don't feel so alone. Today is my 3rd day off of the vicodin. I had 6 surgeries due to some cosmetic issues & the past 2 1/2 years,this time I got really hooked. in the past, it wasn't that way. What I find to be helping me get through the grueling 1st week, is clonipan,& soma & also prescribed medicinal Marijuana.(because it gives me an appetite to eat. There is also this serum called GH3(not ghb) Gh3 is all natural & mixed w/ B12, it can really help, it has some sort of numbing agent in it. All of this has to go. But ya gotta do it by dosing down if you cannot afford to go to treatment facilities. I have someone who is watching and aware of what i am taking. I want my life back too. I write music and the song I seem to have come up with this past year in a half is "Everything's  A Pill" "Venesa.net"...The 1sr week is brutal, but after the 4th day the body aches will start to subside. I don't believe in methadone or antidepressants or substitutes. You either take stuff or not. Seratonin reuptake inhibitors are what antidpressants do the harm that opiates do to the nerves, so having a choice, I would choose the opiate. And methadone makes your bones brittle & teeth fall out. Not good. I wouldn't touch the stuff. Anyways, it's nice to find a place to share. As I struggle thru these first few days.....new years resolution, single girl, trying to get her life back too..Thanks.VT
How many actual Vic's a day were you taking and what dosage? I'm having a hard time believing(though I know it has to be true) I am having withdrawl (withdrawal) on just 4-9 a day, NEVER more then that in a few years I've been on them. The script says 3-4 a day as needed, so wouldn't a doctor think that if you took 4 a day it would be a problem? That was my mistake, I took it to mean I guess 4 a day caused 0, NONE, NO PROBLEMS. I'm beginning to think even if I took even 4 a day and never went over(which I admit I did on occassion) I still would have an issue getting off. These things are wicked. Does anyone have any other opinions on how addictng 4-9 Vic's is in "the scale" of things?

Also Steve, you mentioned Clozenpam (Klonopin) along with pain meds....a doctor put me on that in the early 1990's for anxiety. It's used for that and also "Parkinson's disease" for tremors....but I did not know it was associated with any pain issue. Were you given that maybe for the depression(works there too I found)?
That med is hard to get off once you're on, especially 15 years. I've tried every which way, and like you want off everything so the only thing I have to do each morning is pop a one a day vitamin.
I been on the Hydros for years,I have never had a drug problem .Yes they make you feel good at first,then you need it to get by.I ran out of my script and deciced to taper it out ,it's rough but i was not taking a high dosage,and only like three a day.I want to say if you are strong and ready to quit yes it's a bummer but you will feel better.I 've been off for three days and feel like I'm losing my mind a little but I'm hanging in there.My wife has no clue and nor will she,there would be no more trust.I take vitamins to kinda trick the habit of putting a pill in my mouth every morning.B12 will give you that little bit of extra energy,I also took night time cold meds,for sleep the first 2 nites and last nite I slept without anything.I have tried to quit before and after about 3 days I always felt better then gave in and took more pills .These things will run ,dictate your life ,and they have never helped any pain I've had.To everyone quitting good luck and stay gold.Get your life back.
vicodin has ruined my life! ive been taking them for two years now, i take anywere from 6 to 15 a day!! My family doesnt know about my addiction so i cant check in rehab, plus i am completely broke! I lost my job, i went into work that day and i was out of vicodin so i started getting anxious and a coworker gave me 6 somas, she told me just to take one, i felt so sick i took all of them, i was so gone that a client noticed and complained to my boss and i was let go...i left work not knowing what i was doing in hit a pole. I was also raped one time because i was soo high on vicodin and i was drinking heavily, You would think that would tell me to STOP! But it made me more depressed and i keep using. I dont even get high anymore i just take it to feel normal. I look around me at people and wonder how it feels to feel human again, i look at the vicodin in my hand before i pop them in and start crying thinking this is my life now..i lost a lot of freinds im moody to the people i love the most...today is my first day off and i feel so hollow and empty and sooooooo nervous my joints hurt my head is foggy, i dont think i can do this, im in a relationship and i finanny told him yesterday about my problem, i was soo scared of loosing him but he said he wants to help me, but i know if i cant get clean he will leave me.  I just need HELP!!! Its ruined my life, im only 25 but i feel so depressed all the time, like i dont wanna live, but dont take that the wrong way i would never take my life, i just feel like this feeling will never go away!!!!
I ve been on Vicodins for 5 years and xanax for 3 years i was on my  5th year and i was takin  30 to 40 Vics a day and 10 zannys a day i got so bad that i started stealing from people. i lost my job i ****** up my life for the past 5 years so one day i did some research and i beg you guys to LISTEN  i went to my doctor he had a Licesne to prescribe souboxne which saved my life he started me of at 60 a month he told me take 3 a day they were 8 miligrams which is the strongest for souboxne they are 10 times stronger then any Medicine!! i didnt have any shakes i wasnt feening for VICS anymore i felt relaxed and i was able to sleep great i felt high to when i took the souboxne  you should check them out it's called soboxne it saved my life!!!im still on it. ive been a montn clean and workin again and going to become a electrican in 8 more months thank god for hands on training
I took 30 vicodins in like 5 days and I haven't came down or anything n I'm not craving them at all I enjoyed the high wen I had them but now in a little worried cuz I'm havin bad pains by my kidneys and sometimes it feels like they twitch or have some kinda reflex have any info for me? Plz let me kno
I have been on and off vicodin, norco, percocet for about a year. from January 1st of 2010 until about Feb 16th I was taking anywhere from 12-15 5mg hydrocodone per day. It was ruining relationships with friends, significant other and even work. So on the 17th of Feb. I decided that it is about time to take control and get off the stuff.
The withdrawal was not nearly as bad as I expected. Of course I had some pains, muscle spasms, headaches, stomach issues but all of those withdrawal symptoms were quite manageble. Honestly, the first 2-3 days are the toughest.
I started keeping a diary for each day and found it helpful putting my thoughts and cravings on paper. I also began doing a 30-60 minute cardio workout every day which puts me in a great mood. I feel more focused, and have more energy. Since I quit I have dropped 10 pounds (makes me look way better and makes me happier). I also found it very helpful to return to my hobby of composing electronic music.
Of course every now and then I get a craving but now these cravings are way more manageble.
Don't let addiction run your life. Don't be afraid to quit this drug it will be worth your time.
I have been taking aroud 20 Vicodin a day. I have had 2 massive surgeries in the last month and even before then I was taking quite a bit to kill the pain of my Endometriosis. I would love to get off of the Vicodin now but I can't function without it. I am more scared than u ever know. I want to be back to normal. Please some advice. I don't have a detox center where I live and I don't know what to do.  Please help!!!!
amber this is a very old post why dont you start a new thread .welcome to the forum .
im 20 i started at 1 a day when i was 16. it went up a half at a time. im taking between 20 and 30 a day. norco 1000s. my life is a mess i have no  one left. no help a;; i do is he;p people and try to be a good person and help others and no one helps me. ive tried other ways out that were not as easy as i thought. 8 at a time every 3 or 4 hours is ****** up. ive done alot of things im not proud of. spending 100 dollars a day isnt right. no one understands me let alone talks to me. im afraid of feeling like ****. the energy and being depressed is my fear. i was diagnosed with clinical depression since i was young and i have migraines everyday and have broken my ribs alot. nothing helps but those things i take ruining my life. my  family histery is depression and drug abuse i dont want this so what do i do without going to rehab ?????and like always there is so much more to every story. alot more always.
I've been currently taken pills for 3 yrs now at first it was 3 times a week then became everyday and everyone said your gonna get addicted and I felt way to strong to let vicodin or oxycotton to run my life but now I can't live without it and I hate my self for it. The feelin vicodin gives me makes me feel so happy and makes me do things I would never do like clean the whole house organize stuff lol it was great and now I want to get off I'm doin 90 mg of hydrocodine a day that's 3 percocet 30s a day. And I know its gonna get worse wich scares me. i can't go to rehab so my question is I have about 200 pills of methodone can I make my own progrm and use those insted ?
I have been on vicodin for 5 years now; lost my father a couple of years ago...had to deal with taking care of him when he could not even stand up, change his diapers, etc...very humiliating for him and me, as he was "such a manly man" in his time. I have suffered from a back injury, which is why I started taking vidodin. I asked my doctor last year to take me off the medicine, and he actually said I still needed to take it for my back pain. What he does NOT know is that I am now up to 20 pills a day!

I have a 17 year old daughter, who is a straight A student, and my husband and her don't have a clue that I am taking the meds. 2 1/2 years ago, I admitted to both of them that I was taking Vicodin, and they helped me detox....cold turkey. I stayed off for 5 months, and then I fell and injured my back again, so the doctor, once again, prescibed Vicodin. I know that I should not have started back, but I am weak, and it seems to be the only medication that works for my pain.

I own my own business from home, and I work VERY hard every day....I don't have the luxury of detoxing at home, as my clients are constantly calling me! When I try to detox, and the phone rings, I just start crying!

I have been reading these various posts for years now, and this is the first time I have ever posted anything.

Please help!
Thanks, and God Bless all of you!
sadtobehere, Hi, this is a very old post---some 10 years old in fact. You would get responses faster if you start your own post by going to the top of this page and hitting the green Post A Question button. That will start your own post.

Also, I read almost the exact same story yesterday---is this a second screen name? If so you may want to go back to the original one and stay on one thread. You will get more responses that way.

hope to see you out in the forum.
I been taking viocodin for about 10 years now on an off. I stoped a few times cold turkey, I took xanax and just slept for about 3 days. The longest I was off was for about 2years, then I got sick and had to go to the hostipal, and they was giving me morphine so when I got home I started detoxing from the morphine so I started taking the viocodin again. I take anywhere from 20 to 40 a day. I'm only 28years old, I can't live like this no more. I don't even get hi off of them, I just need them to make it thu the day. I tryed suboxin, but there harder to get off then the vic's. I can't do rehab, I don't want to take another pill to get off vic's. If there is some1 out there that knows a easy way to kick this please let me know. Thanks
Im on these vicodins and perks if I run out but Iove vicodins better I want to stop bad   its like the hardest thing I ever had to do when I do stop I get so sick I just have to take one just to ge throuh the day somebody please help me or even if I can try to lower how many I'm takeing its so hard
Im on these vicodins and perks if I run out but Iove vicodins better I want to stop bad   its like the hardest thing I ever had to do when I do stop I get so sick I just have to take one just to ge throuh the day somebody please help me or even if I can try to lower how many I'm takeing its so hard but I have so many pains I ant even make it through the day if i dont have anything