Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
getting off tramadol using prozac

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

getting off tramadol using prozac

I hope this is in the correct thread; I tried to find a thread dedicated to just withdrawal from Tramadol but didn't find it. Please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place.

I started Tramadol a year ago not realizing it was addictive. It was very helpful for pain, diabetic neuropathy and depression, actually, for a good six months, but then I realized I was slowly slipping into lethargy, not wanting to wake up in the morning (I took a dose as soon as I woke up and then went back to dreamland, which seemed, at the time, infinitely preferable to reality), but I've now reached the point where I'm not functioning well at all.

I have to get off this stuff. I started Prozac two weeks ago hoping that Prozac would allow me to get off the Tramadol. I am not thrilled about the Prozac, but I can't get off the Tramadol without SOMETHING; the side effects of withdrawal are too much for me. Call me a wuss if you want, I've been to hell and back several times now with serious injuries and illnesses, and none of it even compares with the cold shakes and nausea of trying to stop Tramadol, not to mention the sleeplessness, restless limbs - which is the most unbearable thing of all - and depression.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and for the first time in a year was able to skip the first tramadol dose of the day. I don't know how long I can do this, but the Prozac does seem to be blunting the withdrawal symptoms; I'm pretty alert and actually interested in life this morning, and about to go treadmill (wonder of wonders!!!). My leg is shaking at about 120 rpm, but maybe the exercise will calm that down.

I have been taking 50 mg three or four times a day for a year; tapered a little over the last week.

What do you think? Am I in for big problems later or tomorrow, or is it possible I might just kinda ease through this?

I was on 10 mg of Prozac a day, but increased it to 20 mg that last several days as I realized I was bracing myself to stop Tramadol. Depression IS a big problem with me; has anyone had success with depression at the lower 10 mg dose of Prozac? Yeah, I will eventually want to stop the Prozac too, but right now all that matters to me is getting off this ^()$#@!! Tramadol.

Hoping and praying.
  • Question (4 replies):
    I am 90 some days free of tramadol and the occasional hy...[more]
  • prozac and drugs (2 replies):
    what is the danger for a person who is taking prozac and...[more]
  • Anxety (2 replies):
    I have anxiety and i was wanting to know if the suppleme...[more]
  • Antidepressants
    I have been on Prozac and Xanax for the past 20 years un...[more]
  • suboxone (5 replies):
    can you take prozac and suboxone,and does alcohol with s...[more]
you are in the right place.  but i have to warn you, you need to taper completely off tramadol.  avisg has kinds of info in her journals about this drug.  if you dont taper off there is a very high risk of seizures.  please be careful....lots of us here have taken anti-deps when we were getting clean.  they do help.
You have to be very careful I am glad you are on a small amount of both prosac and tram because there can be some nasty interactions between the to don't go up ANYMORE with the prosac until you are ALL of the way off the tramadol.I would drop a pill a week until you are off the tram the AD will help stabilize your seration levels that will make a big difference with wd symptoms