Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
has anyone tried using DLPA

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

has anyone tried using DLPA

I went to GNC today and told them my situation with the painkillers, i told them i was going cold turkey and wondered if they knew of any supplements that could help with withdrawal and she said that DLPA is supposed to be really good for that, has anyone tried it or heard of it?
im using dlpa along with alotof other aminos and i feel great so i dont know if its from the dlpa specificlly or probaly all of them

Ray
DLPA
In 1972, scientists at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine discovered that the human brain produces chemicals that closely resemble morphine, the powerful painkiller. They named these newly discovered substances endorphins. Studies with laboratory animals found that the endorphins were incredibly effective. An endorphin called beta- endorphin was 18 to 50 times stronger than morphine. And dynorphin was apparently 500 times more powerful!

Scientists quickly theorized that the human body makes these tremendous natural painkillers to "mask" routine or unnecessary pain. It was further postulated that the internal painkillers are useful in masking chronic pain such as the pain in case of arthritis.

Like everything else in the body, the endorphin system is balanced. The body makes endorphins, and "endorphin-eaters" to destroy them. The problem is that the endorphin-eaters get the upper hand in many people who suffer from chronic pain. They destroy the endorphins and prevent the internal painkillers from masking chronic pain.

Fortunately, a way to protect the endorphins was quickly discovered. The substance was a simple nutritional amino acid called dl- phenylalanine (DLPA). DLPA is not a drug. It does not block pain. DLPA protects the endorphins from the endorphin-eaters, helping to restore the body's ability to deal with pain. Phenylalanine is found in fish, chicken, eggs and other foods.

Studies have shown that DLPA effectively blocks arthritis pain and joint inflammation in many patients. It is much safer than the standard arthritis medications and considerably less expensive in the long run. Best of all, it is long-lasting. Whereas standard anti-pain and anti-arthritis drugs last for several hours, DLPA can continue quelling pain for up to four or five days.

Dosage: Begin with 750 mg of DLPA at breakfast and at lunch. If necessary , a third dose at mid-day may be added.

For some people a combination of DLPA and aspirin is beneficial. They work well together. Taking one coated aspirin (325 mg) in the morning helps to strengthen DLPA's effects.

It takes anywhere from two days to three weeks for DLPA to take effect.
I have been taking it since I quit.. Its part of the amino acid therapy from the book END YOUR ADDICTION NOW  that I post about all the time.
Do NOT take DLPA with a anti depressant SSRI, or tricyclic or MAOI inhibitor.. also caution if you have any history or melanoma..
Hmm...so I wouldn't want to take it with Zoloft?

Bummer

bg
what happens when you take DLPA with an anti-depressant ???
old post..but yes i do reliegiously..not at the dose the thomas recip suggests for acute wd but i still take 500-1000 mgs a day..i continue tyrosine 2-3000 mgs a day..emergenC..a sleep mixture with valerian root in t, glucosomine,theanine 100 mgs a day..a great multi (for men) but who cares..a cal/mag supp at night to help me sleep Antiflammactin and a few others...oh niacinamide for my cholesterol

in the past 2 motnhs i began testosterone injections weekly..i was very low in my blood levels...testosterone turns into estrogen within 24 hrs..all women produce testostrone and estrogn and progesterone..and vice versa..lack of testorone or low levels causes depressionand fatigue..loss of sex drive..i had no sex drive a few months ago and now my boyfriend probably thinks i am a nympho  LOL..but really,,in a low dose IM it has helped my nrg level which was important cos i have to work..sex drive/hey my guy loves it...totserone also gives a feeling of wellbeing..i like it but time to cut down to every month vs every week..no facial hair or nuttin like that..but i am a girly girl who probably never had a ton of testosterone when i was born/and since it dclines with age??/hey..a chronic pain patient will try just bout anything  LOL

guess what i am getting at is keep looking..lots of the reaons i used narcs were for the nrg..now i no longer need that anymore...do not ever feel hopeless...keep positing
I am currently disabled from a back injury which I have had surgery on and many other failed attempts to fix my problem.  I am working out with my arms as much as I can.  I have been taking DHEA 100-150mgs per day along with an amino acid formula which has the outstanding l-phenylalanine that I have been reading so much about.  I have read that while taking DHEA it will increase the estrogen levels along with the testosterone levels.  I have recently found some information on line that states if you take green tea pills along with the DHEA it will not allow the estrogen levels to increase.  Have you heard anything about that??