Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
hello everyone how are ya! Also everyone please read quick question on ...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

hello everyone how are ya! Also everyone please read quick question on a new med

Havent had time to post much in a while and just wanted to say hi to everyone and let you ALL know i am thinking of you. Just been working all the time and today is my first day off in a while. Also quick ? to anyone who may know the answer:

About a week ago i had an appointment with my docter about my depression. Two years ago she put me on Zoloft which i took about a month and then it gave me suicial thoughts and made me feel like i was crawling out of my skin. I stopped taking it and was scared to death to try anything else due to the way the Zoloft made me feel. However depression took over and a year ago she put me on Prozac i was on 20mg for a year it pretty well did nothing for me.(Sorry getting to be a long ?:) So anyways- last week i was started on AMITRIPTYLINE (ELAVIL) one tab at bed time for a week and then two tabs everynight. Well it has been a week and ever since monday i have been Nauses and throwing up just sick all the time. Now its time to start taking the two but last night i did not take one because i forgot and today is the first day i dont feel sick at all which makes me think its the new med. So i guess my question to all is to anyone who has had any experiance with this or N E one who has advice thanx~chros
Long time no see! I haven't posted to you before, but tons of people here that really care about you! I took Amitriptyline when I was 19 (8 years ago) for sleep. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic drug (because of its chemical structure). Unlike SSRI's like prozac that only increase serotonin, tricyclics increase serotonin, norepinephrine, and to a lesser extent-dopamine. GI upset is one of the side effects of amitriptyline but stopping suddenly or missing doses can cause dizziness, lethargy, flu-like symptoms,nausea and headache. Symptoms are usually worst in the beginning of treatment and when you up your dosage. Also, if you are a teenager your chance of suicidal thoughts and unpleasant side effects goes up.

I'm sure 10 other people have already posted to your question by now, I had to type this in between seeing patients.

xoxo- D.
My daughter started on your new drug for depression and had to stop.  She was gaining weight like crazy. My brother had a bad experience (different anti-depressant)with them as well, so any side effects like yours, I would call and tell the dr.  There are hundreds of drugs for depression.  He can switch you to something else until you find the right one. I know it is a hassle to switch again. I take Zoloft - anti-depressants can do wonders for your outlook if you need it.  Be careful and probably ought to call your symptoms in.
WOW!! I thought I was the only one taking amiltriptyline. (elavil) I have been on it since 1976 and over the years my dr. had to increase it. I take 200mg's at bed time. I have never had a problem with it. I'm sure you won't start out on near as much as I'm on, but when I first started I was only taking 50mg and stayed there for a long time. I know everyone is different, but it didn't make me have suicidal thought, but I have never had that thought. (I think it's a religious issue with me.)

They tried man of the newer re-uptake (sp) on me and none worked. The SSRI's and the SSNRI's. I don't think I had those letters in the right order. I wish you luck but watch for side effects anyway. Like I said..all people are different.....Hugs...LS
Thank u to all who posted me and gave advice. Just wanted to state i have no suicidal thoughts at all just flu like symptoms. Zoloft is what gave me the worst experiance with antidepressents. I am going to keep taking it until monday then call docter and tell her it just makes me so sick. I know from the medical field i work in i learn alot about medications of all kinds and antidepressents work diff with everyone and some of the crapy side effects like me with throwing up and feeling nausea all the time can also go away with time! It is just so nice to be able to come here and ask a ? or ask for help and the number of ppl who respond really makes me feel cared about and loved! I thank u all and i thank god for this forum it is sometimes the only thing that helps me get thru my day I really truley care about all of u and wish everyone on here the best of luck with what they are going thru. You are all in my prayers and thoughts all the time Luv to all ~~~~Chros