Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
how long til i can take suboxone after methadone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

So I haven't gotten alot of differing responses about this but who knows either from personal experience or otherwise how long after taking my last dose of methadone I have to wait to start on suboxone/subatex? Btw I'm on 20 mg methadone have been on done for 4 yrs. Thanks guys!
Hi!  If you're asking this question it makes me wonder...Hasn't the doctor explained all of this?  There's a formula that's used to calculate time and with Methadone it's tricky...it wouldn't be right to get this info from a forum...too dangerous.
Good luck!
hi first rule of sub DONT TRY IT YOURSELF  second rule of sub DONT TRY IT YOURSELF GET A DOCTOR INVOLVED.......going from methadone to sub is tricky bisnenss when you know what your doing do it wrong and you go into persipatatated withdrawals or the 7th level of hell and many a member has sent them selfs there trying this on there own even some doctors make the mistake as a general rule you need to be at or below 20mg of methadone and in full blow withdrawals according to the C O W S scale only a doctor cant tell you when that is if done right sub can be used for 90 days to beat the withdrawals from methadone and tapered with only minor withdrawals when done make a doctors appointment and do it right......Gnarly
Well I'm having alot alot of trouble finding a suboxone Dr. Covered by blue cross blue shield AZ here in Tucson. I'm looking for addiction specialist/psychiatry anny other Dr.s prescribe sub? So to be clear I haven't seen a Dr yet just weighinu my options. I have had a few people on here who have made the switch say they took the sub 24 hrs after their last 20 mg or less methadone dose so I'm really confused. Have researched sub alot...actually was on it for a while when I was 19... I know all about the pre.w/d. But if I have to go thru mad w/d anyways maybe its worth it to not switch and just go cold Turkey? I dunno ang_811 was one for example who switched the next day, wasn't in w.d. and felt fine. Said it was an easy transition. I
Maybe they got lucky.  Do you want to take a chance and wind up in precipitated withdrawals?  I can't even imagine what they'd be like.  Normal withdrawal is horrific!  Even if you have to pay out of pocket, it would be worth every penny to get a doctor to guide you through this.
i think that is the best plan. just stop the methadone.
switching to suboxone is just switching addictions and at some point you will have to come off that too.
if you wanted to switch to subs to try to prevent w/d it just isnt possible. yes you have to be in active w/d. your body needs to detox.
are you ready to jump off the insanity addiction train? stop the roller coaster?
we will encourage you and support you through your detox and on your road to recovery
think about it .....................
debbie
Has anyone ever gone down to 1mg of methadone and then switched to suboxone?
Why do you want to switch from methadone to subs?
If you can get down to 1mg of methadone, I don't see why you would switch to subs. I've never heard of that. I think the subs would get you high, if you where at such a low dose..
You do not need to be in full blown, ready to kill yourself withdrawals to take suboxone.  I normally would wait 24 hrs after taking a short acting opioid unless I was already really nauseous, had diarrhea or having the hot/cold flashes. If it was within 24 hours I would take a very, VERY small amount of sub to see my reaction. I have precipitated withdrawal before and it is like going from beginning stages to the third day in about 10 minutes. If hydro/oxycodone has a half life of 6-10 hrs and methadone is 15 to 60, I'm thinking you need to wait for symptoms. People metabolize at differing rates and YOU need to determine how bad you feel. Cravings are obviously not withdrawal so don't jump the gun. And I would discourage the sub for meth switch entirely. It has as long or longer half life than methadone and the exact same lengthy withdrawal experience as methadone and therefore negates arguments for it's use. If u wanna taper switch to a short acting and do so. Check out ibogaine treatment too. You have to go to Canada or Mexico because its illegal in the us but most people can take just one dose of ibogaine and be completely free of opioid dependence after like a magic bullet cure. But don't switch sub for meth.
I would not just jump straight to suboxone I am actually waiting to do the same thing methadone has a 36 hour shell life I would find the cow test online and wait till my withdrawals where pretty bad then take my suboxone dose I would say that is the safest way to do it I mean it's going to suck for a little bit but the suboxone kicks on pretty quick so better that then p/withdrawals and not being able to do anything about it
My dr said to wait 2 days .I didn't do it . I've been on methadone for 11 years for pain but I want to be off all pain meds now because i'm sick of being a prisoner and I want to some day start a relationship with a nice Lady. My doc switched me to oxymorphon 2 weeks ago and I've experienced some w/d from the 'done but wondered if now it would be safe.
I did experience the methadone/buprenorphine prec.W/D 5 years ago after 2 days of zero 'done and it is the WORST TORTURE I've ever endured. Now I've been 2 weeks with zero methadone and the Doc's around here
just do not know for sure when I ask. I know I have not laid out the clearest case here but any help would be appreciated.  Jeff