Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
how to get off morphine without dirupting your life

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

is there a way to get off morphine that is a gradual process that will not totally dirupt your life like a rehab facility does?
no, probably not.  You could taper, but many people still have problems with that.  How much, and for how long have you been taking?  
I have been on pain kilers for over 5 years, I coned my way into the morphine when I moved to a new stae and hooked up with a doctor that prescribed me avinza (a time release morphine) I have had 4 discs removed from my back and am in pain but have copped for exstended lengths of time without pain killers. I now know I take them just for the high. When ever I do run out I really hurt, but I think that is normal responce to not having my "fix".
My anxiety goes through the roof when I dont have my normal dose. I have had several exstreem anxiety attacks in the past and am very scared to go through the same. The worst part of all this is my wife has no clue Im taking these, I have been hiding it from herer for over 2 years. I would probably lose her if it came to the surface. Im just tired of relining on this to function. And yes my speelling sucks. I take on average 180 mgs a day
My wife still has no clue that I was on morphine. I was up to about 350 mg/d for the last few months. Anyway, I got "the flu" a few weeks ago (quit cold turkey) and still have "lingering effects" from it. I blamed quitting smoking for the insomnia. She has no clue, but I am 17 days clean.

Hope this helps!
im trying to get off mst 10 mg 2 a day. what iv done is half my tablet until i get lower dose from gp. gravings are real strong but im sticking to half tablet a day (5 mg ) .its hard ,but iv taken this drug for 1 year and 6 mnths  and knew it wouldnt be easy.as i had a spinal fus on lower back both sides to no affect .now have osteo-arthrits in lower discs.best seek help from gp to lower dose until you no longer need it .mst is slow releasing morphine.wish u all luck in beating the control morphine has and always seek help via gp so its controlled or you wont beat it
ps forgot to say i started off on 60 mgs and down to 10 mgs 2 a day  ( until i half this dose ) also the more u take the harder it will be for you.i also took more  then i realised it would make it harder to get weaned off them  so i stuck to the dose i was given but was a battle all way.im now working with my gp on lowering dose .still i grave to take more but my will power is stronger as i know if  i take more it be high price for me to pay in the end.good luck to all and seek help to beat this.
Welcome to the forum. You have posted on an old post, so copy your question, go to top of page a 'Post a New Question'.
Are you aware you are not supposed to cut the Extended release Morphine tabs in half, you can get very sick form this. So please check with your pharmisist before doing this.
hey so I am an Iv user and I use everything from two resd a day 400ml to 2-3 greys a day 100ml each also oxycotten and dillie 8's all the way to the big H but I need to take my life back I have been doing it for 6 months straight and Im on day on now
I was taking 2000mg of time release 200mg Morphine Sulfate and I have to tell you I started because of a broken foot and my doctor prescribed me 15mg of morphine for the pain and then when those ran out I started buying them on the street for $20 a pill. I did this for 2 yrs.  If fact the only way I stopped wasn't by going to rehab it was because I was afraid I was killing myself and I was starting to slack at work and this is a high paying job that supported my habit. However I just started to tapper off and I also used some methadone to help as well as xanix (all bought on the street). But I just gradually reduced everyday till their was nothing left and suffered only 2 days of harsh withdawals. I look back and I thank god it's over. The morphine was a big part of my life and ruined my relationship and my life.  Honesty the only way you will get through this, is having a strong will power to make a better life for yourself. Just to give you an idea of who I am, I am a 24yr old 5'3" 110pound female.  I had everything anyone could ever wish for in life and I almost threw it all away on Morphine. So please people if you continue using the only place you will end up is in the ground, remember the withdrawals are only a short consequence for stopping, Death is your is your consequense for continuing use!
I have cancer and have been on morphine for awhile and battling constipation for just as long .I have tried everything and nothing works. Anyone have an idea
Try guava nectar
If you need relief from the constipation try Senecot 8.6 mg from your doctor if you can. As for getting off, I have been using morphine for chronic pain from a MVA 16 yrs ago - using for 5 and am planning on the cold turkey method next week when I get all my affairs in order..bills, ect. You need at least a week or two off and i suggest sleeping pills for the legs and Advil or back pain pills, over the counter, for the pain..This is going to be the toughest days off my life but I have lost too much weight and need my life back...I'm going for it and if your serious..anyone...go for it. We can beat the doctors ***** for getting us addicted by increasing our doses when they should of taking us off before we got up to taking !@#$ loads by the end of each day...WE ALL CAN DO THIS!!!
I hear ya...keep up the good work.
They got my 80 year mom addicted to morphine
and she cries like a baby cause her stomach hurts
so bad and she get very constipated. She has parkingson.
I hate those doctors that don't give a crap about anybody
but those $$$$$