Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
how well does melatonin work

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

how well does melatonin work

i had purchased a sleep aid from GNC called melatonin 5mg tabs.
just woundering how well will it work for insomnia?
It helps me feel sleepier - but it doesn't last very long. Never had any side effects (other then feeling a bit sleepy). :)
thanx for the insight
I tried mellintonin once.... it will give you a hangover but it did help me with sleeping.

Of course I wasn't in the middle of drug withdrawal.

It's not addicting.... so at least you can try it and test it....who knows.  At this point in the game... sleep is so elusive.

Good luck
Gip
Melatonin is in your body already, naturally, and after age 35  in women especially, drops off significantlyy which is why many women thru menipause  ( after ge 45-50) can't sleep...so depending on your age you can help yourself sleep better by taking some.  but taking TOO MUCH will make you very groggy the next morning to the point you dont want to get up..  I buy 3mg tabs, and cut them into FOUR with my pill chopper.  or I talke just 1/2 a tab ( 1.5mg)  so anyone takig 5 mg-- wow.. wayyy too much prolly for their body needs, but wont cause damage or anything.

You ONLY take it at night, but for W/D and C/T use  I am wondering if one wants to sleep more maybe you could try it 2 x a day if you are not driving or working at a job?

long term effect of taking melatonin are not know ( no 50 year study for instance) but  I am willing to trade the small risk for the better ability to sleep and be rested.

ALSO try Valerian root (a herb) capsules- 1,590 mg. per capsule a natural supplement  for restful sleep..  I tried taking 2 caps  ( 1-3 recommend dose) and have been having incredible, intricate, interesting dreams like I did 20 years ago.  I like that, and I am feeling rested and waking earlier and more willing to get up earlier too. go figure.   do some online research on this, there is also tea you can make, but I gotta warn yoa the SMELL of the valerion is horid, and tea no better as I recall.. hahaha