Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
hydromorphone and oxymorphone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

hydromorphone and oxymorphone

Does anyone know if these are considered "drugs of choice" and highly sought after and abused like oxycontin is?  Or are they like methadone, where they aren't abused as much?  I heard people don't usually abuse methadone because they don't get the high off of it like they do with oxycontin.  I was wondering if hydromorphone and oxymorphone are more like oxycontin or methadone as far as being abused.  Thanks.
I know hydrommorphone is dilaudid and is used for extreme pain.  I don't know if it is more or less abused than others.  I think hydrocodone is sooo abused because it is overprescribed by MD.s. Anyone know what the othern names are for oxymorphone. All opiates and if made available, will be abused!!! I think you get very similar highs from all of them.
Dilaudid is used by junkies as a substitute for heroin.  A friend of mine died because of drugs.  Just a comment.
Thanks for the info.  My g/f is currently on 320 mgs of methadone per day and I see no signs of abuse with it like I did when she was on oxycontin.  She would take more and more of the oxy but with methadone, she has no desire to do so.  She does have legitimate chronic pain and is even on soc. sec. disability, and her drug tolerance is out of this world.  She is only 5'5" and 150 lbs and even with 320 mgs of methadone per day and 7 10/325 norcos, she gets hardly any pain relief.

I know she is in pain, and I shouldnt be judging her because I am not inside her body, but I definately see a difference between how she handled her oxy & norco (took more and more) versus methadone (no desire to overdo).  I guess everyone is different.  She is going to be switched off of methadone and norco soon by her pain doctor - he is suggesting oxymorphone in place of methadone and percocet in place of norco.  I hope and pray that I dont see abuse with oxymorphone and percocet like I did with oxy and norco.  

By the way, I do hang on to her norcos and dispense them to her - she does go overboard in the first week (she will take 12 to 15 per day instead of 7 which she is prescribed), and then is forced to cut down until refill.  her last week before refills she usually has only 3 or 4 per day left versus 7.  But I do believe that if I did not hold onto her norco, she would have them all gone in a week or two. With methadone, I can leave them in a drawer in the house and can totally trust her with them.  I just hope oxymorphone is like methadone for her - where I can trust her with them.
The notion that mehadone doesn't get you high and can't be abused is a total falicy. After being on high doses of methadone for the last 6 years (and virtually all the prescription opiates before that including hydromorphone) I can assure you that you can abuse it and can get high from it. Just ask any of the others on this forum trapped in methadone hell.
God Bless, Graeme.
Oxymorphone's name brands are opana (tablets) and numorphan (suppositories and ampules).  Oxymorphone was just rereleased.  In the 70's it was the IV community's prescription of choice due to the low qty. of insoluble binders.  They were referred too as "blues" and was mentioned in he movie drug store cowboy.  It is about 7-10x the strength of morphine or about 4-5x the strength of Oxycontin.  It provides a nice euphoria if abused.  Foor this reason, the extended release variant, Opana ER, uses Timerx technology to prevent IV use.
Just so YOU know being a "junkie" I never sought out dilaudid to replace my heroin! I think that is a gross generalization of ppl who's DOC may have been heroin ! ADDICTION IS ADDICTION and I kind of take offense to just calling heroin users "junkies" I prefer to refer to myself as an addict in recovery w/ 98 days clean!! when that term is used I believe is misleads ppl to remember WE ARE  1 in the same fighting addiction! I know who I am and that is an addict that got a little lost (or alot) along the way BUT a good person w/ feelings!!! Just a thought...