Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
hydromorphone (dilaudid) and oxymorphone (opana) addictive as oxycontin...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

hydromorphone (dilaudid) and oxymorphone (opana) addictive as oxycontin?

I've been reading posts in here and it seems alot of people are/were addicted to vicoden/lortab/norco and oxycontin, but I haven't read about anyone being addicted to dilaudid or oxymorphone.  Are 2 drugs considered as addictive as oxycontin?  I'm asking because my g/f's pain doctor might switch her from methadone to one of these.  She doesnt abuse her methadone at all, she has no desire, but I have seen her take excessive amounts of oxycontin in the past. Thanks!
I honesty didn't even think they prescribed dilaudid.  I thought it was administered by shot.  But they are all really addictive. It's hard to say if one is more addictve than the other, because they all have potetial for abuse, along with withdrawl (withdrawal).  The thing is that vicodins and oxys are easy to get, thats why so many people become addicted to those.  Methedone is REALLY addictive, so she might have a hard time switching.  But if she's been taking them correctly, she should be OK as long as she follows the drs orders.
hi.opana er is an extremely potent opiod.much stronger than oc.it is also the logical next step for analgesia as it is one of the few opioids strong enuff 2 knock methadone off the opiate receptor sites.opana is relatively new.give it some time and this site will be full of opana addicts.
I do not think I'm addicted but I know I over dosed on Opana, 40 mlgs. Just this last week. The problem comes from being in pain 24-7, I have six ruptured disc, and five bulging disc. I have to learn that meds will not take all the pain away, it's a hard truth but one that leaed to my OD.It has effected me this much for those of you who are playing around with crushing or quading your pills. Look, I'm forty six years old, thought I could handle how I dosed...wrong!! I went through a 60 count script in a week and a half.  It has been three days since I had any and let me tell you, don't crush, follow your docters advise. I can see how this can lead to addiction, just like my Perc's at 10 mlgms 325 about 4 to 6 a day along with the opana. I'm lucky to be alive and I know it. I'm dealing with the shakes real bad and have been since my last dose of opana. I'm trying to help my system now with vitimins and large doses of omega 3.. if this is not a safe route some one let me know? I saw the advice on another web site. for now though, I do not think I will take any more opana. I have to discuss it with my pain management Dr.  Any advice?
Welcome to the forum here. You just posted on an old post, so if you don't mind. Please copy yours and go to the top and hit the 'Post a Question' button to start a new one.
I am or was addicted to opana I can tell you its even worse than OC's. The sickness comes on faster and worse and the highs are even higher so yes it can be abused and will be
pain management started  my husband on10 mg immediate and 20mg time release twice a day that is 60 mgs a day , well in a short period of time he had  every adverse drug reaction which are nausea, constipation,dizziness, vomitting, headache, increased sweating and sedation, he vomitted so much he became dehydrated and very low  oxygen level , lips were blue when we got him to the doctor. accompinied by respitory problems. tried gettin in touch with pain managemet but no calls have been returned. just found out opana should not be taken with xanax. if you are put on opana please do your research, he is having yrouble with all vital organs at age 43 , very addictive an dangerous in this case     worried in N.C.
I juts got put on opana 20mg ER AND 5MG IR is this good stuff or what I dont know
i am on 30 mg opana er and 5 mg opana. they are good, but they have been causing severe drowsiness so much that i have been nodding off at work, and have been asked to take a medical leave of absence. Now I dont know what to do they don't want me to come back till i'm drug free, but i have chronic back pain.. i cannot work w/out pain med..its too much pain to handle...right now im seeing about getting a spinal cord stimulator put in.. in hopes that i can either one come down on the pain meds or two come completely off of them.
Hi Christy,

You are posting in an old thread and I don't want you to feel that you are being ignored if no one sees this.

You will want to start your own post and you can do that by going to the top of this page, hit the post a question button and say what you said her. Or, you may want to post in pain mngt forum as I think those members could be quite helpful to you.

Good luck.
I'm a heroin addict ten days clean. Before heroin I was addicted to methadone and in my experience it was really addictive. Just about as much as heroin with the same effects only in a purer form. Less dangerous cause you know what your getting. However, I always took more than prescribed dose. SAme with dalaudid. I'd say of the three oxys are the least but they're all pretty much the same in my experience. If she has legit pain and doesn't tend to abuse them that's the main thing, but the potential for addiction is there with all of them.
Well, I guess the old thread's benn re-activated ... so, here goes: I'd never hear of the brand-name Opana before, but I can tell you the big difference between oxy's and dilaudid ...

Oxycodone  -- the opioid in Percocet/dan and Oxycontin, is derived from a part of the opium moleculed called thebaine -- that's why it gives you that "lift," hardly anyone with no knowledge of these drugs would expect. Many oxy addicts take so much of the stuff, they need to take a few benzos to sleep. At high doses, you'll "nod," but not like on heroin or morphine. You could be sitting at the computer, say, for four hours with your eyes wide open but with your conscious brain shut off. Taking really high doses can induce this -- you come around standing in front of the toilet after swaying there for a few hours, completely gone ... but when you awaken, snorting a line will bring you back to that miserable addixtion.

I've tried Dilaudid a few times in the past -- apparently, it the fave for heroin addicts, who cook the tabs and shoot them, which is not my thing. It's action is similar to morphine -- no "pick-me-up," just the downer effect of morphine and/or heroin. Chronic users might call me out on that -- heroin lifts them up at first, but the depressant effect eventually leads them to to the "nod" stage.

The thebaine connection is what will keep Oxycontin (coupled with its ridiculous availability) at the top of the list of abuse, because snorting, not shooting, them is the best way for "high-seekers" to get what they want. Add this to the fact that chewing them produces a smooth, amphetamine-like buzz in the morning. Like all the so-called "good" drugs for recreational users, the victim is left chasing that initial high all day, and the mg total rises to obscene levels.

I'm surprised that Dilaudid isn't used to ease the w/ds from oxy: seems l8ike it could keep you more or less anaesthetized during the really bad days. Methadone and suboxone are major-league drugs, and the horror stories re w/d from these two could be stacked like firewood -- why not a four-day, medically assisted, in-house treatment with it?

I'm confident that someone in the know will address this situation, so thanks in advance.
I have tried the back stim, and let me tell you and
save you the trouble it dont work,
I have one
Ok so oxymorphone has is synthesized using an oxidized phospate method = well... stronger than hydro anything. One is a derivative of morphine and the other a derivative of codiene which also = well sh*t... codiene is only 1/3 the strength of morphine. So let me break it down like this: oxymorphone is about 2 to 3 times stronger than oxycodone. Also, oxymorphone, especially in its instant release package, has a considerably stronger punch than hydromorphone. Honestly, you probably couldn't even get diacetylmorphine(HEROIN) on the streets that is more potent. Money rules the world people. Pharmaceutical companies bought their rights to sell dope legally. God bless us all.
By the way, do research people. Everyone tends to want to be a doctor in these rooms. Fact check the previous info if you wish. I have tried all moderate to severe pain medicines. Fentanyl, methadone, and oxymorphone(opana), in no particular order are absolutely the strongest. Quite similar to the effects of heroin to be honest. I'm not afraid to admit it. I have tried them all, but I tend to favor Opana IR. It turned my pain into just another word. And uhh yeah, turned my reality into a pleasant dream. Sorry, I don't mean to make these narcotics sound glamorous.
not that i would, but is there a BIG diferance in snorting the opana ir compared to opana er due to the TIMERx in it? i know that chewing the opana er dont make that much differance because it turnes into a big clump of gel anyway. any info?
I'm on Opana IR 10 mg 4 times a day and Kadian ER 80 mg 2 times daily due to chronic Pain issues and I've found they really work the best for me with the fewest side effect, the worst of which is cold sweats and shakiness, but when used properly in the doeses prescribed and swallowed whole. They really are a godsend and allow me to work my 50 hour a week job and raise my daughter and be a good wife to my husband, The potential for abuse is there with anything I mean think about it, If there were no drugs available people would stand in their front yards spinning until they fell down, It is human nature to want to feel different and better. and unfortunaltey we want to feel that way all the time, especially people with addictive personatilites. I hope eveyone who needs narcotics to sustain their daily lives, finds what they need. Best of luck to all.

XO
Babs
Hello, I am a addict. And I am addicted to Oxy Contin, this is the strongest drug I have ever done, other then opana " and by the  way **** OPANA!! I was sick as a dog after taking that ****, thought I was goin die. My next door neighbor sells oxy and we have gotton to be good friends and she and my wife are really close, my wife had never touched any kind of drug in her life until all us started hanging out on the weekends, she busted out a rail and told my wife to do it that it would make her feel good " and wouldn't hurt her" and that it was lortab my wife done it and has been hooked ever since. I think it's the fact of not wanting to get or b sick that keeps us getting more and more, which she has subs also so it's not that bad when she runs out of the oc. We were off the **** for a good 3 mths and we had a Halloween party which is my wife's b-day and she busted out lines 4 everyone and that got us hooked again!! She tends to do that alot "give us free lines and if your an addict then your not goin turn it down with it right in your face if you know what i mean? I think if we had a handy supply of subs and moved away from her we could get off of it, which I would love to do. Any thoughts?  
I am on opana IR 10mg 4 times a day and fentanyl 75mcg patch i find the opana to do little to nothing after about a month of taking it...does anyone know if suboxone will lower the amount of meds needed to treat the pain as im already on really high does...just recently i missplaced the opana for a week and got the sickest i had ever been in my life..I found the opana again today thank god and the withdrawl (withdrawal) stopped immeadiately...i want to go on lower doses but still want same relief..will suboxone lower my tolerance?
OPANA is not nearly as addicting as OXY. The pill was designed to have less Euphoria and more for actually pain and does not yield the same results as OXY when abused. IMO.
I have to disagree with you Roximan.  I have taken both O.C. and O.M. many times.  I am a chronic pain sufferer myself and recieve Opana 10mg (which I take 15mg every 4-6 hours).   I have taken these pills and been able to inject them.  The  withdrawal is by far much worse coming off the opana the the oxycontin.   In fact,  I have used oxycodone intranasally as a way to step down from the opana so I dont feel like death withdrawling.  If you think about it this way, Percocet which contains oxycodone used to be a schedule III narcotic (yes it has APAP in it which the feds figured would cut down on abuse), but Opana has always been a schedule II drug.   Opana is closer to addictive potential to dilaudid & morphine then Oxycodone in my experience.  And Dilaudid, even when it is mixed with other things (Dilaudid cough syrup) is and has always been schedule II.  To think of it another way, Opana largest size is 40mg.  Oxycontin was 160mg and is now 80mg I believe (it was too easy to circumvent the time release and people died)
Opana (Oxymorphone) is much more addictive than Oxycodone based pills and Oxycontin.  If you haven't done Opana, don't start, I've been addicted for months and I used to take Percocet which is Oxycodone based and I easily got off of it without problems, but when only Opana was available and I started taking it, I can't get off, the withdrawal is beyond hell.  Plus your tolerance for it grows incredibly fast so don't take it.  I'd say even taking like ten of ten milligram Percocets is much safer and better than starting to take one Opana.  Hope this helps.
Hello.  I have been taking Lortab 10/500 mg 6x a day and sometimes 7 or 8 per day.  With taking percocets for breakthrough pain 2x a day.  Now, the regular doc has moved me to pain clinic.  He took everything away and gave me a script of opana er 20mg.  I am soooo scared.  I have an addictive behavior already.  I have L4 herniation, L5 ruptured, S1 herniated and ruptured, and all three dessiccated.  I have fibromyalgia, myofascitis, and myositis also.  I have really been through the ringer with a bunch of pain injections, and now a doctor wants me to move to opana er.  I need to know what the feeling is going to be.  My pain tolerance is HIGH and I mean HIGH!  Is this gonna like whack me out??? Am I gonna be able to be a mom and wife??? Like can anyone HELP ME PLEASE!  I don't do this for a buzz at all.....seriously.  I just want some relief.  But, do not want to be out of it...........Any suggestions out there????????  Thanks.
TO: PANAKING       Your response is inappropriate.  I know you are new to the forum so please read the forum guidelines.
I'm sorry, but I HAVE to vent! You a$$holes are the very reason that people like me have a hard time getting Drs to treat our LEGITIMATE chronic pain (mine is RSD). So here's a BIG KMA to jerks like you and your wife!
Before you post,,why don't you look at the date of this thread. I believe you missed them by at least 365 days....Whoever it is you are directing profound language toward....
I am on 80 mg Oxycontin ER 3 times a day, and 30 mg Percocet IR 4 times a day, for a total of 360 mg a day. My Doc just switched me to 60 mg Opana 2 times a day (2 30s in the morning and 2 at night), and kept me on the 4  30g Percs for breakthrough pain. I also take 2 10mg Value before bed, Skelaxin 800mg 3 times per day, Ambien 10mg or Temazapam 30mg before bed, Lyrica 150mg 3 times a day, and several other drugs.  All this from a horrible motorcycle accident at 60+ mph. I'm not an addict. Just use for pain relief. My question is: the Oxys and Percs keep you "perky" and give you energy. Will the Opana make me be passing out at work, especially in conjunction with the muscle relaxers and Lyrica? I can't afford this, as I run a business with over 5,000 of employees. I need to be perky and energized, not sedated. Can someone offer the answer, as I may begin using the Opana 120mg per day Monday and stop the Oxycontin 240mg per day. Thank you!
I always found opana to be similar to oxycodone in terms of the 'high.' It is kind of stimulating at first, but then it makes you start to nod off. It also lasts a lot longer than oxycodone. Thats just my experiences though.
I take 160mg/day Opana 40er morning and night also 6 10s as needed. I think that if you can take that much oxycodone and take care of that kind of business I have no doubt that you'd be able to handle the Opana just not sure that you'll prefer it. I say try it and the worst that can happen is you switch back. Nobody can tell you if you'll pass out at work except you after you try it. It may be the miracle drug that you so desparately need to function pain free all day. By the way, howd it go?? I just realized Im a couple weeks late...
I have had the same problems at work except withoc so they change me over to this opana er today. If your back is that bad try RFL treatments they have been helpful to me
I just switched to 10 mg Opana ER from 30 mg Oxycotin 2x daily. I also take 8 Norco for breakthrough pain. Severe lower back pain. Seems to that the Opana doesn't have enough "lift" compared to OC. Is it the dosage or structure of the drug ? Doc said to give it 2 weeks to compare. Have had constipation issues with the oxycodone. Seem a little more tired with the Opana as well. Any thoughts
First 2 days you may have nausea enough to throw up. Dont eat or drink anything -sip water. after 2 days (me anyway) nausea gone. I take this for degenerative disc disease (3 discs gone so far -extreme pain) Also take oxymorphone for breaktrough pain & xanax for the anxiety of having this awful disease. I have no desire to have these to get high, they allow me to get across a room without fainting from pain. The nausea is temporary and both times I thought I was goona throw up, till I got to bathroom, that was gone. It takes my pain away & thats what Im after. No feelings of wanting to take more & more. Hope this helps
There are 2 components to the addictive nature of opioids.

1-Euphoria, sense of well-being, etc.

2-The speed of onset of the drug, ex: Injection vs. Oral
or IR VS SR

Oxycodone produces more euphoria and a faster onset of action!
So, if you compare oral Dilaudid to Oxycodone, without question,
Dilaudid(Hydromorphone)IR is less addictive than Oxycodone IR(Percocet).
Even correct dosage of Oxycodone produces ''Morphine-like'' Euphoria

With that said; Dilaudid(Hydromorphone) is more than twice as potent as Oxycodone and if a person injects Hydromorphone it too is highly addictive!
Oxymorphone seems to be somewhere in between the two... When the goal ideally is to obtain pain relief without excessive euphoria Oxycodone is not the ticket but, like morphine, sometimes these are considered desirable side-effects.

People with a legitimate need for these medications on an ongoing basis and want to minimize addictive potential should therefore opt for a slow release Hydromorphone, better than Hydromorphone IR. ((Jurnista))*

My 20 years of experience as a patient anyway!
Good luck!
I agree about Opana.  They are wicked.  I broke my neck age 15, have had numerous surgeries, been on pain meds for 40 years.  Oxys, morphine, Dilaudid, yet no other drug ever caused me to feel w/d and detox symptoms between doses, like Opana.  Found out the hard way about being separated from my Opana script at dose time.  I also found out why they say "cold turkey"; it's because your skin actually gets cold and those little bumps just like a turkey!
The withdrawals from Opana scare me and I do not like being so at the mercy of such a harsh mistress.  Plus, Opana has ruined Oxys, morphine, Dilaudid, and all my old faves, for me.  If I try to take another drug instead of Opana, I barely feel them.   Now, Opana does provide the best pain relief I have ever experienced.  However, I am seriously considering going through detox, through my doctor, to get off Opanas.