Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
hydroxyzine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

hydroxyzine

I want to know is hydroxyzine addictive? I think my boyfriend has  developed a dependence on it. He takes 25 mg 3 times a day. He acts like he is mad at me all the time and shouts at my kids. I have no where to go even if I wanted to. I am worried about him. I really do love him and I want to help him. The doctor prscribed this med because he has severe psoriasis. Any help I could get would be appreciated.
Thank You
it is said that it is not habit forming but if you google it and addiction many people say that they had hell getting off of it . I would read up on it on the web and try talking to him about it .
It may be similar to tramadol they say its not addictive yet it is  I would google it and see what others have to say .I find others experiences so much more helpful the insert information

Even though it is an effective sedative, hypnotic, and tranquiliser, it shares almost none of the abuse, dependence, addiction, and toxicity potential of other drugs used for the same range of therapeutic reasons.
Another name for this drug is Vistaril.  It is given medically also for mild anxiety, hives and mild nausea.
In January, I was given hydroxyzine for hives.  Normal dosing was 25mg 4 times a day.  Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine, anxiolytic, sedative, and antiemetic.  I can't find any supporting information anywhere saying that it is addicting.  I experienced no w/ds of any kind when I finished my prescription.  How long has your bf been taking it?  Did he just start?  Is he taking any other meds with it?  (Opiates and alcohol will drastically increase the effect of the drug.)  His body will need a few days to adjust to the dosing.  The first few days it made me sleepy and dopey and weird.  A few days later I felt normal.  Hope this helps.
i started taking visteral a couple of weeks ago and just like i do with any other pill...im abusing it. i take a handful at a time, but the thing is, i can't even tell that i've taken anything...yet i already no i'm going to freak when they run out? oh and i got it prescribed for anxiety...
Hydroxyzine is not addictive at all. It's a mild medicine, along the lines of benadryl or tylenol, really. I take it all the time, and it does next to nothing. There's no withdrawal if you stop taking it. It is not strong at all. I would look a little closer at the real problems rather than trying to blame it all on some minor medicine. All these problems are most likely related to your dysfunctional environment, not a little medicine that you can't even tell that you're on when you take it. Try looking at the real problems, perhaps your interactions with him - maybe he's mad at you for actual reasons. Maybe it's actually the whole world of stuff that goes on in your relationship - single mom with numerous kids, angry boyfriend, arguing about pills, you clearly see yourself as his only source of guidance, like he can't take care of himself (this is called codependency) - I can already tell that you are a total mess! Do you also live in a trailer? Trust me, the problem is not a little vistaril for itchy skin :oP
CATASTOPHIC~   Your post was a bit mean spirited,don't you think???????????????
Oh and,by the way,you posted on a thread that's nearly two years old...
This is your first post....... What a way to make a first impression!  Take a breath and take it easy.
Wow, you're a *****. He who has no sin can throw the first stone...I guess you're perfect right? Perfect appearance, house, and family right? Oh wait! Its your heart and your brain that's all ****** up. Oh, and by the way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with living in a trailer. I've lived in plenty, and I am a perfectly happy, smart, and successful person. So maybe yyou shouldn't be a judgmental snob.
I know no one may read espcially not the person who this is goin to but damn what is ur problem u act like u know the person. this person came on here looking for HELP not criticism from a complete stranger who was looking for sumwhere to vent. find a different thread, a different topic, a life perhaps! cuz picking on people who are obviously stressed and cant find the help they need elsewhere so they turned here n instead found a miserable old wench that didnt help he person in any way!
wow i am on here trying to find info on this **** to cause i have the same problem and you judged someone u dont even ******* know. get a life. is yours so ******* bad that all you do is get online to be a **** to people to make yourself feel better??? get over yourself. living in a trailer doesnt define who you are, and nobody should have to feel bad about it. my opinion is you should go to hell and keep your mouth shut. cause if you dont have useful info for someone looking for help then **** off.
Holy crap seriously? Ouch! Maybe you are in denial of yourself to attack someone like that for no reason! Yeah that post was like 2 years ago but I had to say something anyways. I was shocked to even see a comment like that.
I actually looked this up for myself about this medication cause I had really crazy side affects from it. Everyone acts differently to medication. Some may or may not show any signs of the side affects. When I took these it seemed like it would be addictive in a way. Maybe not like how other type of meds are addictive like Percocet or Valium, etc but maybe addictive like weed is to some people. And yes I believe smoking weed all the time is an addiction. People argue about that one if it really is or isn't. Anyways thanks everyone else for your input in what you think!
I recently was put on Hydroxyzine for anxiety, and this is the first meds I've taken for it. I also take medication for depression (currently Sertraline, generic of Zoloft) AND I'm a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. These pills, for me, definitely had an effect on me. I felt light headed and had a hard time staying focused. And being an addict, I found myself wanting more, so I stopped. Everyone reacts differently to medication, and I sincerely think this stuff is addictive and habit forming (and addicts will take just about anything to make themselves feel different, in excess anyways!)
This is an old thread, but hopefully this will help someone. I'm NOT a doctor, but I am sharing my experience.
Hello I started taking Hydroxyzine about a month ago. I just wanted to share my experience with it. Last night I fell asleep and missed my nightly Hydroxyzine which is 1-2 of 25mg each every 8 hours. It is true that everyone reacts different to meds, but I woke up this morning feeling like **** very achy and VERY, and I say again VERY shaky. I just took my morning dose of 2 which is a total of 50mg. Guess what, it is 35 min later and I am feeling MUCH better. Is this med addictive? For me, I would say most definitely. I take for anxiety and insomnia. Just wanted to share.
I hope you feel better. Just be careful with how many you take. I would not want you to accidentally overdose. Take care. GOD Bless!!
I hope you feel better. Just be careful with how many pills you take. I would not want you to accidentally overdose. Take care. GOD Bless!!
I just tried to stop dosing myself with this crap several times a day and it definitely is addictive.
Withdrawal symptoms similar to alcohol or benzo.
Shaking, panic, very frightening stuff.

Possible cross tolerance with alcohol?
Wow-- your numerous posts seem to display the very faults you accuse others of having. You ripped a person apart who you do not even know. You make assumptions laced with hateful criticism on someone who simply asked for info about a medication and voiced concerns about addictive issues thereof. She did not ask for your mean spirited life analysis. To act like you are fully informed and qualified enough to analyze their entire situation is ostentatious and narcissistic at best. To end with the statement asking if they live in a trailer too... just deplorable and immature. Perhaps you should think about if what you say before saying it. Is it kind? Is it necessary? What motivated you to say all that you did anyway? It is posts such as yours that makes so many of these feeds more a place for people to slam others then share polite insights. My instincts tell me if you read this-- you will rip me to shreds as well. I, however, can predict that should you respond with like malice, it will be received with as much qualification as that PhD in Psych that hangs on your wall. To all those who posted their experience in proper etiquette and seeking only to give kind response of your experience with the medication-- kudos to you. Keep it up. :-)
Good for you! Don't these mean spirited people's posts just get old? ;-)