Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
i hate being addicted to cocaine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

i hate being addicted to cocaine

Hi, Where I live in Central America, cocaine is common, cheap and although illegal, the cops just take it away w/o a bust. Never have I been addicted to anything so this was a bad shock to see myself after about 2 years INCREASE the use to daily rather than drop down toward quitting. I actually did reduce consumption since 12 months ago and people (users and non) commented in a positive way. But now it's 2 more years - 4 years of packing my right nostril. When I leave town, it's never as important as it is here so I don't look for it. I'm sleepy when I quit and my excuse to buy a gram is that I need to work and get stuff done. I stop for 3-4 days every month or so but so what? I've been up all night (again) and am disgusted with myself. I know I  can quit since I do when I travel. Does this mean moving? It's worth it to get the monkey off my back but I can't leave for good until I sell my house. Unfortunately over time any non using reliable friends and I have little contact. A magic formula would be great... helpful comments, too.
I have always been on opiates for years but I had a bad stint selling coke and abused it hardcore, we and my wife snorted so much I a short time we couldn't use ether of our nostrils and started smoking crack! we lost everything! after years I started seeing things and became  paranoid , I started thinking my wife was trying to kill me until I called an ambulance and went to the hospital! the doctor did s couple tests and told me that the cocaine had produced so much dopamine in my brain that I was skizafrenic ! Told me to just stop taking coke and it would go away! Living in fear for so long , seeing things and hearing thing and even running away from my own wife after taking a hit was the cornerstone to make me quit , so do u want to let this problem get to that point before u quit! yes when u quit u will feel tired and will want the easy route of being lit up and able to get things done but in the end u will crash! u may need to find some kind of hobby to dedicate all your free time to , that's how I ecapted everything I am now a scratch golfer and if I ever think about the high I miss so much I remember I'm going golfing that day it its so much more fun then the high of drugs! Good luck I hope u can take this to heart and work at stoping once again!!!
Hi Bolena & Welcome, Thank you for reaching out and sharing your story. I feel for you. Cocaine is something else - especially where you live! Alas, as you already know, there's no magic bullet. A 'geographical' cure can help but until you have an overarching desire to quit forever - where you're just so sick of yourself on the drug that you'll do whatever it takes - it won't stick. That said, it sounds like you might be pretty darn close to that place right now! You sound pretty self-aware and that is a necessary asset in getting to a place of clarity where you just 'break' open and surrender to the cold fact that you're (we're) outta' control - That our DOC is poison - skull & crossbones - Period. You Can do this. This site is an incredible tool and will help you win your battle if you use it. Stick with it. Wishing you all the Strength & Clarity you'll need to overcome. We're here...
Thanks, EvolverU,
It’s good to have some support. I’m totally aware of the ‘outta control’ problem -when I told the guy I usually buy from how much I hate coke, he said he’s never tried it because he’s afraid of the addiction. I have been to AA here and they are very nice but no connection with them. Maybe that’s an excuse because I am so ashamed, but it’s not like people in the pueblo don’t know. When I’m away, the desire is never so strong that I go looking for it, but meanwhile I live here.  
Enough ramble… clarity I have, strength, I lack. I was good 2 days but this afternoon depression/loneliness hit which was ‘cured’ (right…) by a gram. I’m thinking of asking a neighbor/sort of friend to bang on my door daily. Not like she doesn’t know about my coke use; windows are always open here.  I feel like I need a babysitter - what do u think?
Thanks for your reply, 777,     I need some practical ideas since I can sleep away a few days without anyone looking for me. I get up to feed/water my dogs; unfortunately, in this case, I have flexibility to disappear for several days a week.   So after a sleep fest I wake up groggy and looking for serious ‘coffee’. Your comment about remembering the golf is excellent, but how did you get from “I don’t f*ing care” to going out to golf?. The other day I had a deadline which I did meet ‘straight’ and I noticed that I can function on my own. After I post this I’m going to put up a big reminder note to myself.
I went through a bad cocaine addiction a long time ago I was stealing from every1 and anything.it all started when I met my ex at first it was fun but then it became everyday fighting if we didn't have it.he started getting abusive and i know he was the reason i was addicted.i went from 120 pds to 90 it was bad.then I went on a cruise without my bf  and with my family.i didn't once think of doin any coc and had the best time of my life.after the cruise I moved n broke up with my bf and honestly forgot all about using that drug.i really do believe that changing where u live and changing ur daily routine really does help but u need to do fun stuff to keep ur mind off of it u can't just stay home.hope my story helps a little good luck