Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
i want to stop using norco.....how do i do that?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I being taking norco for the last five years, I know this is wrong and I need to stop, but my body is telling me no, do not stop, I took my last norco last nightn novemeber 15, and today is the 16th, I am starting to feel the w/d's. I being having stomach pains for the past 6 months and they doctors tell me that there is nothing wrong with me, I have a need to take pain medicine for this horrible stomach pains but I have a feeling deep inside of me that the reason of my pain is because of the norco....I want to stop, can anyone, just tell me that everything is going to be okay that my stomach pain is going to go away and that I will not need anymore norco? I need your feed back.....
thank you
Hi Mendray - welcome to the forum.  I don't think that anyone here can really tell you that your stomach pain will go away, but we can tell you that you can quit and you will be OK.  Withdrawal will not kill you, although it can be very uncomfortable.  How much norco were you taking at the point that you ran out?  Typically, withdrawal will last for about a week, but most people start to feel better after about 3-4 days - and each day after that does get better.  I have a friend who just detoxed from opiates and he also had pain, but knew that the reason he started taking the pain meds for was already healed.  Once he quit and detoxed, he no longer had any pain issues, so it is entirely possible for phantom pain to exist from taking pain meds.  Best of luck to you, keep posting, you will get lots of support here.
I had taken them for medical reasons also but soon realized I was addicted after 5 years. There may be other options than norcos. When I did not take as many a day I felt like my body hurts and I needed them but soon found out that it was just wds. I quit cold turkey three weeks again it was hell. But I'm feeling much better. I took them for hurt knees ankles muscles im a runner. Good luck!
I got up to 8-10 Norco's a day (after 3 years)  for 2 back surgeries, spinal stenosis, DDD and Fibro) and I found that AFTER I QUIT taking the Norco.. my pain got BETTER... I found that the more Norco I took.. the worse my pain got...
Now I have 109 days clean and have very little pain....
I have withdrawn a few times, granted I never make it past day 3-4 (I will someday) but I know the vicodin causes me pain.  My bladder misbehaves worse when I take them (I have IC) but its far worse while I am on pain killers. My lower back hurts chronically.  Even when going through the withdrawal my lower back stops hurting.  I know that pain killers make us more sensitive to pain.  I think we feel things while on pain killers that we wouldn't otherwise notice if we weren't taking them around the clock.  You may be pleasantly suprised, it may go away.  Only time will tell ;)

Good Luck!!! Best Wishes
I have been to the ER with upper and lowe abdominal pain  twice in one week. My first time in the ER on 10+. yrs. I think also from narcotics.
Today is the 17th and is another day, this is my 48 hours going to my 72 hour, I am just taking a minute by minute and an hour by hour, after my 48 hour without the norco, by the way I was taking 10/325 4 tablets at the time two and sometimes 3 times a day. I had it, I knew in my mind that I dindnt want to take it anymore, so, I prepared myself, and I still have refills as my doctors seems to think that I do need them, I am not going to get anymore refills, no way, today I woke up without my stomach pain that I had for months, and it seems that was getting worst as I was taking more and more norco....It is making me think that my body was telling me something, and I am glad I listen, I feel much better right now, I do not have cravings, I do have the leg pain and my head feels empty, I feel like I am losing my mind, but at the same time, I am starting to get some sence, I know tomorrow will be better, and the day after and so on, thank you all for all your support, I also spent at least a couple of days reading all kinds od stories on this forum, it did help me at lot.....I will keep in touch, and God bless everyone.....
Keep posting and stay with us! You are not alone through this journey!

It sounds like your mind is in the right place, that is something to be happy about. You can and will make it through this.

Fight!
thank you very much for your support, this really helps, and I know I am going to make it for myself, and to show others that this can be done, I feel in my head that my worst is over and I want to keep telling my body that and it is working for me, but what helps me the most is all of your comments stories, that is the extra push that many of us need to take the extra step and stop all pain killers. God Bless You.
48 hours is huge...keep going, you do not want to undo the good that you have done...trust the posts, these folks know what they are talking about.  This **** is temporary...the rest of your life is forever.

we are here for you...on day 4 myself...and could not be happier...even though I am still feeling crazed...I have a clear head...can't wait to spend this money on something of substance!!!

Get mad...get better...get to livin!!
I am glad on hearing from someone that is just a little be ahead of myself, and to know that you are doing good and have a clear head, I am very happy for you, I cant wait for my third day, my fourth, my fifth day and so on, I know I will do this, specially when I see a lot of people fighting the same battle and a big porcentage of us are winning it.....Thank you again, keep up the good work.
I made it to my 72 hours, day 3 with out norco in my system, I had a very weird night, but is over and I am glad, I am pushing to have a better day on my 3rd day, I feel this is a huge step, and I just want to push forward, and most of us feel that time goes by very slow, but hey, we have to learn some how that being addictive to a drug is not easy, best of luck to all of you and lets keep the good fight.
right now is 3:11 pm still oin my 3rd day, I havent had such a good day as i expected, I started thinking if I should just go back and take some pain killers, I had all the w/ds symptoms there is since last night, and all day today, very weak, my head is playing games with me, and I know that this is part of the deal, but at the same time I understand, why people just want to continue using, sometimes it feels like these substances are part of you, but that is not the truth, I am just putting me head up high and will continue the fight, this is my 3rd day going on my 4th day and I know in my heart that everything is going to be okay, tomorrow will be a brighter day.....
I understand that you are having a hard day-- it *****. I'm on day 4, and I am having a rougher time than days 2 and 3.  Funny how it sneaks up on you.  I forced myself to go for a bike ride and I felt much better (although I did cry for the first couple miles).  After 25 miles, the cravings have subsided and my head is clear.  Try getting out and moving- it may help!  Good luck
Mendray,

DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING!!  Please.  I am having a similar experience.  Although today is better...it is not the JUMP I expected from 3 to 4 as it was from 2 to 3.  I am having doubts, cravings, etc....but I know that I cannot give in and ruin the past 4 days of fighting.  You are almost there...keep fighting.  The pills are not apart of you...although they seem to be.

Stay strong...you will win...
Thank you very much for your comments, and I also went outside, and did some of the gardening and outside chores, it made feel a little better, and I am glad there is people outthere that are in the same situation as I am, and that are feeling the way I am feeling, I will keep it up, I cant wait until day 10 then day 30 and so on and still post my comments for others, thank you again, God Bless.
thans for responding on time, and no I am not going take any pills, my mind is set, but my body is telling otherwise, so as long as I have my mind on my side, I know I will be okay....thank you for your support, keep up the good fight...and take care.
day 3 going on my day 4 without taking any norco, is now 5:10pm and I am feeling a little better than a couple hours ago, I am still pressing forward to freedom without narcotics, I am looking forward to tomorrow.........Everyone, please keep going!
God Bless us all.....
hope your stomache is feeling better. my digestive was all jacked up while i was taking pain meds. after i quit i started taking probiotics everyday. the good kind that has to be kept refrigerated. they are the good bacteria that usually gets wiped away from all the perscriptions we take and poor food habits.
wow what a difference. it did take a whole bottle (a month) to notice. but i can eat really hot spicy food now , or have an empty stomache without it hurting anymore.

so what i am getting at is if you still have pains after quitting , you need to find out why and try to correct it. the stupid pills we get from these doctors do nothing but make it tolerable for things to get worse and worse.
best to you, you are doing great!
Yes you are right, guess what? my stomach pain its a lot better, if not almost completely going, this is amazing!!! and I am only going on day 4 without pills, I still have 5 more hours to day 4....but i am hanging in there.......thank you for your support and your comments....and I know soon I will be telling others about my complete experience.....and no more stomach issues.......very good!!!!!!
Today is a new day, this is day four without pain killers, I had some few hours sleep last nigh, I feel week, just wanting to stay in bed, I feel like if everything is getting better mentally, but my body still aches, I am eating healthy and drinking tons of liquids.....TODAY is day 4 for me and very proud of myself, I just want to keep wanting to do that, get clean once and for all, I thank God for his love and compassion, and specially to all of you that are posting and making this journey easy.
Thank you all
Good work..on Day 4 and, for me, there was a big transformation between 4-5.  Keep up the good work...we are all going to be better for it.

By the way all my stomach pain that I had for many months if not years its completely gone!!!!! must to been the norco, I had a feeling that my body was telling me something, but when you are hooked to a drug, there is no reasoning, and guess what?  I dont know but I am stomach pain free.....Amazing!!!!!!!!
This is my nine day with out narcotics, pain killers, I am feeling much better, I am at 80% of being myself.....I still have a way to go but I am just taking day by day, I do not want to get ahead of myself....I spoke to my doctor yesterday and I explained to her about all the symptoms I had while taking norco and how most of them including my abdominal pain is completely gone, she was amazed!....as for that I am not getting anymore refills which I am very happy about...I made the decision to tell my doctor to just stop it......I was a little scare, because I still had in my head that I might be able to need the norco someday, but as of today I know I am not going to use or abuse any medication at all, my body was screaming for a while that I needed to stop, that my body was getting sick, but I refused to listened, but I thank God that he gave me the strenght to just say enough.....And as for you, I know you will be able to just do it and stop......but that is going to happen when you are ready, and only you know when you will be ready, I am just hope that you hdo it soon.....if you need to chat, do it, posting helped me a lot and is still helping me....I know the journey is far from over, but it is okay, I have plenty of time.....take care and dont let anyone put you down, not even these pills, you are more than a couple of pills....believe me!....Take care, God Bless You
So I have been determined to stop using for the past couple of months, I weaned myself down from 6/7 10 325 a day to 1-2 a day before deciding it was time to be done completely. My last 1/2 pill was more than 48 hours ago and besides not being able to sleep a wink and feeling like my skin is crawling, I feel relatively good. I so badly want a good night sleep and just keep telling myself "Tonight will be better" I quit while still having over 200 pills left, so I know I am doing it for me and my family, not because I am out and can't get more. Physically and Mentally, I fell clearer than I have in years. I just want normalcy to return. Everytime I consider going back, I just read these posts and think to myself that the worst of it is over. Thank you all for being so honest and sharing your journey to freedom from pain meds.
30 hours since my last post and I have managed to not take any pills. I am on day 3 and feel my head getting clearer every day. I stil have the twingy skin feeling which is really driving me nuts. The norco deamons keep telling me that just 1/2 a pill will get rid of them which I know is true, but what it doesn't tell you is all the other things it will bring with it. I just have to keep pushing forward and know that those thoughts and feelings will go away.
I read these posts and wonder why people stop all the sudden. Are they back to using? Are the norco free and just decide they don't need to be here anymore? Norco world is a lonely place to be, so where is everyone? Anyway, I am sure someone will read this later and see that there is hope. "For once in my life I think it's OK to be a quitter"
Day 5:
Ok, so things are getting even better. I am starting to get more sleep each night and the twingy feeling is gone finally. Thank goodness! The thoughts and cravings are still there every once in a while but physically I feel like I am 80-90%. I really hope this will help others know what might be in store for them when they decide they want to quit.
Take it one hour/day at at time. You can do it if you want it bad enough.
-Peace
OMG, Ok so on day 5 I thought this was going to be a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong. The next few days were brutal. I got a total of 3 hours sleep in 3 days and the thought of just one little pill went through my mind so many times. I tossed and turned and fought and finally got a 6 hour night of sleep on day 8 and then 6 more on day 9 and almost 9 hours last night. I am so glad that I didn't succomb to the demons of norco and use again. I am now 10 days clean and feel almost 100% other than I now have a cold from the lack of sleep I am sure. Sure glad I didn't need any support, since i haven't gotten a single post back from this. I guess just reading other peoples stories and writing my own was enough. For all of you out there ready to do this. Just plan on quite a few days of hell, but it will pay off. Just make the committment and go for it.
To: Needtobeclean

Just now saw your post!!   The reason you haven't heard from anyone is because you posted on someone elses' thread.  It just wasn't seen I'm sure.

Sounds like you pulled yourself through...sorry you felt so alone :(

Start your own thread by going back to the forum page and posting where it asks at the top of the page. There you can ask a question or make a comment.

You did a good job;be proud!

Vicki
Day 4 of narco (codeine) withdrawal.  Its 9.30 Sun morning last too 8 tab x 30mg weds.  Pretty crap night, back is killing so much that i too 2 paracetamol and 2 nurofen (no codeine).  Flu symptoms eased, skin crawling was soooo bad yesterday.  Diarrohea soooo bad still but hey after 7 years of intense constipation i think i should just let my body detox.

I think all of you ar very brave and an inspiration.  Your stories and blogs are helping so much, really.  

Yeah, you would have found TONS of support if you would have your own thread. I just happened to remember this person and was trying to see how it turned out when I saw your posts.  I don't know about other phones, but on my iPhone that I'm using, it's a royal pain to see the bottom of an old post because u have to keep scrolling down and clicking "get more results". Nice job on staying clean!
how did you just quit?  When I try to do that it feels like I am dieing!! Bad migraines and i have lyme disease and the pain is why i started taking them in the first place.  This disease is horrendous.  The pain is unbareable.  I want stop but not sure i can live with the pain either.   There has got to be something less addictive for pain.  I have been trying caster oil packs with heat pads for lower back pain. I just want to know if the pills are making my pain worse now that I have read all these posts on this site.  Id rather learn to live with pain than be addicted to anything :(
I am the same way.  My back kills me.  I have taken norco for over 4 yrs mostly just in mornings but in winter months i have to take them in afternoons too.  It used to be for my hands and feet locking up so bad from lyme disease and now its my lower back pain that is so bad it feels like child labor pains when a storm is here.  Its lyme arthritis that makes my pain so bad.  I just want to know how i feel off these pills!  Id like to see if I feel better off of them but when i try to stop i feel like im dieing for days and end up taking 2-3 to feel well.  They also give you a sense of being my dr told me a few yrs ago and i think thats why alot of us with lyme take them so we can feel well as this disease has pretty much taken every aspect of our lives away.  I have friends hooked on oxy's and fentanyl patches so i am glad that i never graduated up to those stronger ones.  I can only imagine those are way harder to get off of than norco.
Okay, so... I'm a headstrong guy (you may call it stubborn and proud but whatever jk)..
After reading some of these posts I have finally decided to stop taking norco... I can't tell you how many a day I have been taking of the 10/325... But it is A LOT... If I had to guess it is between 10 and 20 and day...depending on the day. I am 25, and I have lost track of everything since I have been on these things, I get them evrywhere, the doctor, friends, family, dealers.... Anywhere... I have MANY ways of getting them.... I have informed my fiance that the next week or so is going to be rough for me and I never thought I'd find myself posting to a website for assistance....
I have denied my addiction with every excuse in the book to everyone I know.... Its time to stop... I just role my last pill about 5 minuets ago and I'm about to watch the latest karate kid movie with my ol lady... Someone, anyone, keep contact with me and give me positive feedback... I have tried this a few times before and have always ended back here... I want to get back to me again... The strong, martial artist worried, the phycology student with a 3.8 gpa, the help anyone because they need it type of guy with a future.... Please help!
IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP AND GUIDANCE,
Daniel R.
I have bin taking norcos for about 4 years an i rilly want to stop taking them every time i say ok to day is the day i have to stop i cant do it any more i have a very bad back to were it hurt to do anything most of the days i was talking a hafe  now today its like 6 like 3-4 times a day an i know i dont need it like maybe every now an then when im in mass pain but i want to stop an just like the other person my body is saying no u need then keep takeing them  an i dont want that at all i never use to be this way but i dont know what to do i need help so if any one knows now to or were to go please tell me thank u this has helped a lot  an reading others has bin a  big help as well thank u.
Hi Lost....glad you are here.  You posted on a really old thread and you may do better to start a new thread.  More will be along to read and comment.  I too am recovering from a Norco addiction.  I have 4 days clean and it rough but you can do this.  Have you talked to anyone?  Do you have any support from friends or family?  What about your doctor?  Take it one day at a time or even 1 hour at a time.  Come here to this site for help....there are wonderful people here that have tons of experience with getting clean and staying that way.  There is always hope and you have found the start of it.  Hang in there!
i have been on vicodin for 8 years for debilitating migraines, It has now become Norcos 10/325 for 2 years {12-15 pills a day],I started for pain but have now become an addict. i have an endless supply monthly. when I have tried to detox cold turkey i am the most miserable person. I get restless leg syndrome and phantom pains and am unable to sleep through the night. I need some home remedy to help with this. Valium can help a bit but I am am active workout person at the age of 44. I want my  life back without NA or medical interventions on my record. I only weigh 128 and i am in top shape but have noticed I awake at night with restless leg syndrome  and haven't even started to quit.. I know it is now a full blown problem. I can take 5 at a time on an empty stomach without being sick. There is no high from it any longer, just the lack of withdraw symptoms. The pain you all tak about in your bowels is a backup of excrement that can;t come out because its so dry inside your bowels. I suggest regular vegetable laxatives and  stool softeners daily with fruits. This will help that aspect..Also replace your drugs with exercise, invest in a trainer and work out to exhaustion. Yoga, running, cycling and weight training.

My issue is the full withdrawal. It is much worse than anything I have been through. Nothing about it is easy, its pure pain. It can last a full week. I have done it twice. My husband rubs me until i can fall asleep temporarily but does anyone have an herbal cure or help for this?
did you quit CT? I am trying ti wean and still miserable.... maybe we can di this together?
I have not quit yet. I can tell when I need it, my body sweats and my eyes are shaky. I can't sleep comfortably because of the cramps in my legs and lower back when I do try to quit. What ***** even more is that I work out daily and I find it affects my running by making me tired. Although, I do know that replacing narcotics with exercise is one of the best forms of cure. Instead of screwing up your body your doing good for it. I would need to just push through the tiredness and run about 4 miles then lift weights. Weaning is a great idea, its just hard when I have an endless supply of norcos.
The abdominal pain is because you are backed up in your bowels. Trust me. That causes the worst pain. Norco and Vicodin both dry out the body and make it hard to use the bathroom so you get clogged up. Try an enema as gross as it sounds and take metamucil or stool softeners every day twice a day if you can. These are all natural remedies and have helped me.
Does anyone have any help for restless leg syndrome? This is what hurts the most. I have to constantly shake my legs and move and I get absolutely no sleep. I am ready to quit but need some tools to work with.
Did you finally quit?
is there anyone you can give your pills to ? I have little help and am a mother of two kids... i told my mother everything and she is coming up in a few weeks. I plan on giving her my pills and she will give me only what the plan is with the taper. I really wish i had the strength to ct.  As of right now I am left to my own devices which is hard... I woke up at 3am sweating, shaky and anxious...i wanted so bad to take even 5 mg anything to get it to stop, it really took all i had to not. I recently switched from Subutex so my body is all screwed up. Anyway, im just letting you know you are not alone. It ***** :(
Glad you found the forum......the thread that you are posting on originated back in 2009 and a lot of the people are not around anymore.

It would really benefit you to post a new question (orange post a question tab at the top of this page) and that way you can ask/share and more people will see/respond to it.  

Most people find this forum by an internet search and can end up on an old thread....I know that's what happened to me.