Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
inhalant abuse

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

inhalant abuse

I have a 13yo son who has admitted to sniffing markers off/on x 3years.  I am worried that he may have suffered permanent damage--- he has mood swings, behavioral issues at school, poor grades, and often angry.  Not sure how much of this is "normal teenage", side effects from previous use or maybe is still sniffing??  Is there any type of test I can do?  I am worried if I take him to his pediatrician, will she report this to CPS or the police?  Help!
Hello and welcome. Have you taken your son to a therapist?
Taking him to the doctors to get him help is ok. You can speak with the doctor and then he can give him an exam and some tests to make sure everything is ok. You haven't done anything wrong so why would cps be called?  it is hard to say what is normal behavior.    
Has his behavior,anger and grades gotten worse?  If things have gotten worse I woud be concerned.
Not sure if there is a test.have you checked at the pharmacy?
Sending encouragement and prayers
Debbie

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, he was in therapy for about 3 months but there wasn't much improvement.  I didn't know if the dr would call CPS because its drug abuse?? and he is a minor.  Big relief!  Things have escalated in the last year.  We have put him in a private school hopeful that the smaller enviorment would provide less distractions, more support and one on one attention with teachers. But since school started 3wk ago, I have been called once and emailed twice. We did an OTC drug test which was negative.  We have spoken with him at length about the dangers of drug use, possible side effects/damage, legal consequences etc... he seems receptive but I found a marker in his back pack this week.  He denies sniffin but I am not sure... thanks again for your reply
Christi, you won't be the first or last mom to bring your son to the drs. With concerns of drug abuse. I had to take my oldest son 10 yrs.ago and the dr. was terrific.
My 14 yr old suffered a concussion this april. When I took him to the drs. and the dr. questioned him in regards to his confusion he asked me to leave the room,then processed to ask my son if he had used drugs.
Therapy isn't magic. I think it wouuld be beneficial for him to continue with it. It is good for them to beable to discuss things with someone and not be judged or biased. My 2 sons, who are 13 and 14 go every week. They complained in the beginning but are fine with it now.
I am concerned because if things aren't taken care of now in regards to why he wants to get high,it will only get worse as he gets older.
I hope you get some answers. I know how hard it is to deal with this.
I hope and pray things will be ok.
Debbie