Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
is neurontin a narcotic?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

is neurontin a narcotic?

Is neurontin a narcotic?
I have had propblems with addiction in the pst and I want to be careful.
Also, I have to urinalysis test and am concerned about it showing up.
No it is not narcotic.. i belive they classify it with seizure meds and anti depressants
I don't know if it will show up on an urinalysis but no it's not a narcotic.  I was prescribed neurontin by my regular doctor years ago before he told me he could not treat chronic pain for my back.  He said if I need something stronger that I would have to go to a pain management doctor.  I wish I had just stuck with the neurontins... it's prescribed for nerve pain and seizures.  It's not addictive, in my opinion anyways and the only side effects I had with it is that it would make me sleepy sometimes.

I hope this helped in some way.  Take care, hugz, Lil.
No, neurontin is not classified as a narcotic, but rather as an anti-seizure med which also happens to help with pain (mostly nerve).  e.g., I've been prescribed neurontin in the past for migraines/headaches, but I was too scared to take it after reading about the side effects.  My cousin has been on it for a long time -- he has MS.  Regardless, it is not a narcotic.   ~K.
can you take baclofen & neurontin at the same time.  I have a spinal cord injury and am taking both medications
i have been taking neurontin a couple of weeks....except for Lortab...it is the ONLY thing that has helped me the pain of nerve damage....i have no insurance...so i've had to find a way to help myself....so i found this medicine....and my doctor who would not do anything else to help me...called it in for me....i could not function till i started taking it....i had back surgery last July...but fixing the ruptured disc did not help....My nerve must be permanently damaged...
neurontin is not a narcotic but it does bind the same receptors in ur brain as an opiate and if u are an addict u will have withdraw I'm a revoveting addict and was prescribed this without knowing and I had withdraw after the dr prescribed meurontin and said it's non narcotic later after I went back and had done some research I found out it does kick ur withdraw back by tricking ur brain to make it think it's narcotic
Neurontin (Gabapentin) probably wont show up in urinalysis as it is very similar to a naturally occurring chemical in the body.  You say you "want to be careful" - do you mean you don't want to be caught, or don't want to be messing with a chemical some folk use for a buzz?  It certainly has an an abuse potential when you take more than recommended doses....especially if combined with downers/opiates/cannabis - it can have an effect that's very mildly hallucinogenic, combined with effects similar to diazepam (for someone not used to it) - like bouncing about like the ball in a pinball machine, memory loss, sleepiness and pretty inevitable fallouts with your nearest and dearest.

Given the above though, if you are serious about dealing with your addiction issues,you really shouldn't take any more than a reasonable GP prescribes for you.

Take care.