Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
is there anything that can help me sleep during withdrawals???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

so my withdrawals are just about gone.... WAAAAAAYY better than the first couple days...but i still cant fall asleep.. last night i took some nyquil, but that didnt do a thing... i layed in bed desperate for REST until i finally dosed off around sunrise for an hour or two....
does tylonel pm help? or anything? i did take a hot bath around 3 am...and that did help...but didnt put me to sleep... im so desperate...ive had a total of 5 hours of sleep over the last 4 nights and i just cannot function like this anymore!!! i NEED to sleep tonight!!!!
btw-i am detoxing from roxys and suboxone for those of you who dont already know....

and- an update- im in the airport rigth now on my way back home...im going to stay at my moms house in miami for a few days before i go back home to palm beach, until im feeling like i can stay sober up there.
A hot shower or bath helps......I liked diphenhydramine (benadryl) myself.  Some swear by melatonin.  Sleep is about the last thing to return to semi-normal......
You may want to try a natural sleeping aid like valerian root?  That seems to help with the anxiety and to calm your nerves.... Other than that the best thing to help with sleep and opiate wd is unfortunetly another highly addictive class of drugs called benzodiazepines.  Which include xanax, valium, klonopin..... my dr prescribed me some for 7 days to help at night with the sleeping.  They worked great but they can make you dependent on them so please be very careful.
yeah i would skip all benzos its like playing Russian roulette .Try some of the over the counter like Tylenol pm.  The supplement   5hpt help with mood and sleep as long as you are not on any anti depressants. The hot bath right before bed helped me so much if you wake in the middle of the night go take another it can be a great help.
im not worried about getting hoooked on benzos, i hate them..
i did take a xanax on my second sleepless night, but it made it worse because i made me even more tired, and want to sleep even more...but i still could not sleep...
what a terrible feeling
The sure fire cure is time. Your body will sleep when it has to. For me, it took about 25-30 days before sleep went back to normal. Now, it's great..8 hours a night. You won't die from lack of sleep. When the body gets to the right point, you will sleep.
get some valarian root, take two and then take two more later. it will help a little.

malatonin gets high marks by some. bananas are suposed to help.

sleep is just around the corner, part of the price you gotta pay to get clean.........in a week or so you will be sleeping like a baby and much happier too  :]

what ever you do DONT CAVE IN, the loss of sleep is one of the most underlying causes of relapse.
believe me i know how you feel...it is absolutely horrible.  sleep for me was awful in the first couple weeks....but some how we all get through it.  it was the last physical part of wding that hung on....but sooner or later you will get back in a normal sleep pattern.  hang in there....maria
51 min. will be 1week ...not sleeping well at all,butt thats the price i paid....no sleep or no money? i'll take the sleep  
valerian root or melatonin can help..there r also some safe sleep meds the dr can give u like phenergan etc,,rest is important to recovery...keep posting
I'm glad you seem to be receiving a lot of assistance from these amaing people. They'll end up being your saving grace, as they were mine. Everyone is different when it comes to what helps you get rest through the nights as you already can tell from the variety of responses. I'm here to tell you to be careful with any and all of the responses.

Bananas helped me a little with the RLS I got during sleepless nights through my at home detox. I didn't use any over the counter medications because I was scared of what I would or would not have a reaction to. I spoke with my local pharmacist [whom I've been going to for YEARS] and discussed everything with him. He suggested doing everything CT without the assistance of any other medications [even OTC medications] because you always run a risk in taking medicines, period. If you've never taken them before, even if herbal supplements, then read up on them. Be comfortable in your recovery, but even more so in the knowledge that it all gets better with time. I'm living proof.
I would definitely stay away from the Tylenol PM. I think that may have exacerbated my RLS on my previous attempt to get clean. Also, while you are in the first 30 days or so (maybe longer - I don't know) avoid antihistamines and antinauseants. I had TERRIBLE reactions to both phenergan and compazine, and the second one I think I was on suboxone now that I think about it. Either way, stay away from those - they are bad news for RLS. Google something like "what medications cause RLS" and you should be able to find a site called wedomove.com or something like that with a more complete list. There are plenty of OTC drugs that will exacerbate RLS.

I agree with the xanax comment. The only thing worse than being tired and not being able to sleep is being even more tired and not being able to sleep.

If you're having arm RLS issues, PM me and I'll give you details on my new badass sleeping position that I found last night. I'm trying it again tonight and hoping it wasn't a quirk - I got 4 hours of good sleep on night 5!
I hear ya! Day nine for me, and sleep has been something I am chasing. I am so exhausted. I tried Benzo's, Ativan and that helped a little but nothing amazing. Melatonin gave me about an hour so far, and tonight I picked up some Advil PM. I just feel like I am walking a thin line and just need sleep. I have found that exercise helps, streaching, warm baths. Good luck!
Usually the treatment for insomnia for those in recovery would be Trazadone and/or Topamax. Ask your doc.
Yes I can not sleep at all I get very week plus I'm biploar n have depression I'm going to try n take a hot bubble bath n then go laydown I get in suboxone on Monday I really hope I can sleep once I get on it since I'm going to have a job pretty soon so I can give my all plus I'm only 21 it's seems like I'm older from all I put myself thru....
My boyfriend is going through withdrawals from Soboxion, a couple weeks ago he tried from 12mg but got back on it and now is coming off 4mg and he seems much worse then before... i have been researching anything to help him and so far all of you have been the most help, thank you all so much!!! Tomorrow early i will go to the store and get him melatonin and  valarian root and have him decide which works best for him. As of now he is taking benadryl, but it doesnt seem to help much. I also got him Imodium (immodium), he told me that it helps. I am so proud of him, and i will do everything i possible can to help him through this. if anyone else can give me any advise on what to do and what i can get him i would really appreciate it. please email me at ***@****  
Day 1 and I know what's coming. Nervous and scared but made the decision. I've been taking 4 to 6 hydrocodone a day for almost 1.5 years after my neck surgery from a car accident. Recovering alcoholic for 20 years and still got caught up in the pills. Worried about the next couple days for sleep and I have a pretty intense job that requires me to be on top of my game. Any advice to help me through. I'll take it.
This is an old post. Post a new thread for more answers. I myself drank most my life, got sober in AA and then took up pills. Many of us here have a similar story. Injury, pain pills, pain pill addiction.