Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
kicked my son out on the street

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

kicked my son out on the street

I'm new here. I am going through tough times with my 23 yr old son. He was jobless and took him in. He is addicted to oxy, percs and pretty much any type of pill. Did not know this.  He has good days where not sure he is taking anything as he will never admit to it. Then days on end where he is high and abusive to me. Then the days on end when he sleeps for 4 or 5 days straight, detoxing I guess. I have talked to drug counsellors to understand these drugs better. I have done everything I can to help him but he wont even admit to his habit let alone help himself.  I find pills everywhere and worry about my granddaughter finding them. Last nite did me in when I found out he had stolen from a friend, obviously to get money for more pills. I hate myself, it hurts so much to shut the door on him but I cant live like this anymore and am probably responsible for enabling by giving him a bed and food. It doesnt help that I have already lost a child and am always waiting for the call that he has overdosed again. Has anyone else been through this? Not sure this is where to post this but need to understand what is happening with him and these drugs.  I have to be strong because I know the phone calls and his tears to come home will start but cannot trust anything he says anymore.  Any advice would be very welcome.  
Don't hate yourself:( I am so sorry your going through this with your son. It's so hard when we can't admit we have a problem, denial plays a major role in addiction and since he don't want help this is very difficult. I guess it's easy for us to say don't let him back and tough love, but it is true and your no longer enabling him now. When the tears come and he wants to come back he needs to agree to some type of help. In active use we lie about how much and if we are using so stay strong. There are other Mother's on here going through this and can give you better advice. You will learn a lot here. take care of yourself and good luck.
Hi Mom,

I cannot identify from a mother’s point of view, only from mine. My mom did to me what you just did to your son. Or I should say, did FOR your son. My mom finally said “NO” to me after many years of drug abuse, lying, stealing, etc. At that moment I hated her but I thank her today, although she has passed. It was the beginning of the end for me when she turned her back. I finally got into in-patient treatment and finally got the help I needed.

Please do not ever feel guilty. You are doing the right thing for you and for him. The first step to him getting healthy, and clean, is to admit that he has a problem and to realize he needs help. You cannot do that for him. He has to want the help and he has to ask for it.  Becoming humble in the throws of addiction is very hard for the addict but it is a necessary step.

As hard as it is, stand your ground. You don’t deserve to be abused or humiliated because of his addiction. You are NOT to blame. Once he knows there is help out there, he has a choice whether or not to use drugs.

If he comes to you crying, don’t break. It is the addict talking, not your son. Let him know that there is help for him and you will help him ONLY if he goes into rehab, let’s say. There are many options for him. Listen to what the members here have to say, they are good people with tons of experience who can guide you.

Please keep coming back and posting. You are welcome here and you are in the right place. Whenever you want to talk, vent, ask questions or just cry…this is the place.

You are in my thoughts and my prayers.

I can't say I am exactly in your shoes because it is not my son but my boyfriend and the father of my child on the way. You are doing the right thing although t is hard. I have kicked mine to the curb a million times and here I am agian on day 2. You take him in you are an anabler (sp) thats me, thats what I do. My boyfriend use to be a great guy now he scares the **** out of me. Has cleaned out my bank accounts, stolen credit cards, every electronic I owned, money from his sons bank, as well as his game system, jewlrey.... I can go on forever. It is best you got him out before it got that bad. But I will tell you it won't get any easier. He will come crying, begging for you to take him in, making promises that he WILL get better if onlu he can come back home. Best way to help is to say no. It will be the hardest thing in the whole world to do and I have alwasy givin in at that point. I will keep u in my prayers please countine to post!
i am so sorry you are dealing with this.  believe me i know your pain.  i have been on both sides of this coin.  i am an addict and my daughter is too.  she is 80 days clean...this time...unfortunately until he seew he has a problem he cant be helped.  i cam to the same place you are at...and my daughter has a two and a half year old son...everyones rock bottom is at a different point, but first they have to know they have a problem.  i hope he gets there soon..if you need to talk you can pm me.
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I'd like to offer my perspective as I am 24, and fighting against pill addiction as well. Believe me when I tell you this, of all the things I regret from my addiction, the one that hurts me the most is the years I spent not being able to look my own mother in the eye. I did not want to lie to her, but I knew that the truth would hurt her so much. Similar to your situation, my parents KNEW something was up. They confronted me, but never in a threatening manner. I think the most important thing you can convey to your son, is that you love him, you want him to get better, you want him to be happy, you see that he is not, but no matter what you'll always be there for him. I think your son needs help. I know it hurts you when he is high at home, and abusive, but I bet it hurts more not knowing where he is, or waiting on that phone call that something has happened. I cannot imagine the position I would be in if my parents had thrown me out. Again I do not know your situation at all, I dont know how bad it has gotten, but I trully believe you need to approach this with all the love that you have for who your son was before he fell into this trap. At 23, and on the street, I cannot imagine your son wants to continue using, he feels that he has no choice, like I felt. My reccomendation is that you get some suboxone or subutex, whether from a doctor, or from elsewhere. Many on this site are against it, but it sounds like your son is so deep that his mind might not be in the right place to quit using. With the suboxone his brain will get some time to repair itself before making the plunge. I put myself on suboxone at age 23, without consulting a doctor, I would get it illegally. I kept myself on it for well over a year, but now I am finally rid of it. During that time I was able to get a job, get my life back on track. After I felt that I was in a good place in my life I was ready to put it down. Now I am almost a month clean, and let me tell you, nothing feels so good as telling my mother the truth, that I feel good now, and that I am not taking any pills. I wish you the best of luck, I hope everything turns out ok, you and your son both deserve a better life. Live and Love
M
i too have to disagrre with u i too am 25 yrs old and i totally agree what the poster above me said cause i was in the same shoes as ur son giv or take a lil here or tjhere and my parnts were so concictant and persistant it didnt work over nite but by havn there in dying love made me wana do it i have failed alot and who knows may again but rite now im not and dont wana if u throw him out yes it mite work but if he was like me it would make thngs sooooo much worse id probably be dead in a alley cause i would have no one else and fall deeper and deeper into addication to numb the pain of knowing everythng is gone but it mite wake him up but i have a feeling that its the other worse of the 2 that would happan so plz just thnk bout this u said u have already lost a child u have to fite even if he doesnt wana yet he will eventually just plz thnk bout it and dont give up on him im sure everyone else in his life already has so dont u either mom.... good luck hope all eventually gets beter for u and him. if u got any Qs for me being around his age and going thru same stf dont hesitate to jsut ask
at no point did the original poster state that she had given up on her son or would not support his recovery.  she came to this site, didnt she?

islandcat...
FIRST AND FOREMOST...you have to take care of yourself.  get to some meetings with other parents who are going through the same thing.  you will learn alot about, not only addiction, but yourself.  you do NOT have to live the life of addiction anymore ! ! !

i've said it many times...but the reality of the situation is you cannot love your son sober.  he will not end his addiction for you...his g/f...his family.  he will end his addiction when HE admits he is an addict and is powerless over his drug.

i'm sure that your son knows that you love him and that you are there to help him...if and when he decides to do something about his addiction.  make sure he knows that you will no longer support his ADDICTION...but you will do everything in your power to support his RECOVERY.  an example of what i have done...as a mother of three addicts...is to do the groundwork.  over the years, i've spent many a sleepless night searching the internet for different rehab programs.  i kept the names, addresses, phone numbers and all pertinent information in a little book.  when my sons came crying and crawling back...they were handed the book.  this put the responsiblity back to them.

please know that there are several "mothers of addicts" here on this forum.  we fully understand your pain and frustration and are here to support you.

the people who are still using are going to tell you to let your son move back in
the people in recovery are going to back you with your tough love descion
i myself acted as a hurricane destoying family life, i continued to do so until they let me go and i have been clean ever since
there is a book called no more letting go, your local library should have it
there is also a good bit of help available to parents of addicted children, start with the courage to change
when it comes down to it my parents had to protect themselves, while i was using i thought they were being selfish, now that i am clean i see that i was being selffish
it wasnt easy, i was homeless my first year in recovery, i lived at a pay by weekly hotel, went to na meetings, and out patients support groups, i started taking action and began treating my illness
with no one left to take care of me, i was forced to take action
Hey....im so sorry your haven to go thro this! my mom (cathy5841) posted above and trust me when i tell you that i did so many things to my family and son that now that i am sober....i cant beleive i did....i hate my self for all the horrible things i did....i am clean now and see the whole picture as my son gets older and i pray that he doesnt go down the same road....
you can only help him if he wants help....take it from me.....i learnd the hard way!
keep your head up....if i can come outa it your son can to!
i dont kno if u were talkin to me but i didnt say she dint lov her son im sayn that how he will feel i kno this cause i woulda felt the same way u way isnt the best way im where her son is at i was just givn her other options cause as being a kid thats how i would feel,
I am first so very sorry to hear that you're going through this. We all know you tried and exhausted every avenue before you told your adult son you had had enough.

I kicked my son out when he was 16 for completely different reasons. By the time I did though, I was through. It wasn't in haste. I was done and knew it was time. Unfortunately. No mother should ever have to do that. Ever. For me, I knew I did the right thing for my family and myself.

With that said, and I don't know if you're a religious person or not, but you will get my drift when I tell you this. It was the first weekend I was at church after this happened when our/his youth pastor came up after church and asked where he was. When I told him, he knew. He agreed and understood completely. How comforting, that's his job right? Well, it was at the very end of our conversation when he said something I'll never forget and to this day I reflect on it. He said:

Even God kicked Adam and Eve out.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. You've done the right thing.
Best Wishes,
ng

It's not the same sweetie, but my brother lived with me for years and I had to finally kick him out.  He ended up living in a shelter.  To this day, he thanks me for helping him get his life together.  I know it's difficult, but you can only do so much.  I can tell you love him very much!  He might not feel like it right now, but in time, if he can get himself cleaned up - he will be thankful you stood your ground and made him grow up and believe in himself!

I am keeping you and your son in my prayers!  

Hugs,
Janet
I am the wife of stilltrying and a mother of 2 a son and a daughter.Having been an addict myself and only 25days into recovery i know the things my husband and myself  have done to our parents but my mum never knew (i think she maybe did but didnt want to believe it) but my husbands parents knew about him. Hes been nasty and verbally abusive to his mum when he couldnt get drugs but she never threw him out or anything and no matter what let us stay whenever we needed too. I also have a son who started to use cocaine (i knew by the way his attitude had changed towards me) for a while and when he came to me when he fell out with his partner and was quite abusive i knew it wasnt him it was the cocaine or lack of it, but i could not throw him out or turn him away i was to scared he ended up on the street. I know most of the mums above would disagree with me but i just wanted to say that maybe if you try a different approach or something, anything, but you must keep trying.As my son told me after it. If i had ever refused him into the house or told him to leave he would have given up on life altogether so i am glad i never turned him away. I also have a couple of friends that have been in the same situation and although it took a long time they eventually stopped acting like that and have started to turn their lives around. In fact we started detoxing at my husbands mum and he wasnt the best person to be around while doing it but we are still there and his attitude has changed big time. Its the addiction that makes him act that way not him. I think tough love can work in some people but i dont think i could risk it with my child. I think the love for our children is unconditional. But no way am i saying you dont love him enormously i know you do or you wouldnt worry so much or come on here for help you obviously love him dearly. Im so sorry for your loss i really am. It must be so unbearable for you, it does not bear thinking about. I probably havent helped you very much but i do agree with the young ones that have posted and i know you havent given up on him or you wouldnt be here as LizzieLou said but my son said the same as the young ones did, he thought i wouldnt have loved him if i did kick him out. Im sorry if i have maybe got you confused or mixed up now but you know your own son so your gut feelings on what to do are probably right. I wish you luck and pray everything turns out ok for you and your family i really do. And i hope i havent offended you in any way.Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Kim
please go back and re-read the original post...and note the desperation in her words.  she has had enough ! ! !  her son's addiction is affecting HER well being.

i dont think there is a mother on this forum who one day, found out her son or daughter was on drugs, and just immediately threw them out the door.  we, as mothers, do everything in our power to love and help our children...it's our job.  but tell me...exactly how long are we supposed to continue being verbally and sometimes physically abused by our addict child?  how long do we continue to have our children steal from us...lie to us?  how long are we supposed to sacrifice our emotional well-being?  when does it stop...when they're 23...30...35????  do we continue to enable our child...give them food and shelter because they are choosing to continue doing drugs?  how utterly ridiculous for anyone to think that a mother turns her back, just for the hell of it.  when it comes to the point of a mother having to make that horrible decision to throw her child out...you'd better believe that she has HAD ENOUGH ! ! !
now tell me...what addict wouldnt be "thankful" that his mom allowed his addiction to continue...enabled it...gave him a free place to live while he was abusing not only drugs, but probably her as well.   of course the addict doesnt want to be thrown out...he might actually have to take responsiblity for himself, for once in his life..."oh geeeeez...now what am i gonna do?...mommy's not here to take care of me.  oh yeah...i'll just go live off grandma bessie..aunt susie".  
for 15 years...i lived addiction through my kids.  i gave up my life to try and "change" them.  i isolated myself from others because of the shame...i went through almost weekly "searches" to go and visit them in jail or prison...i've ridden the streets for days trying to find them...verbally and physically abused for years...all the while enabling my sons ! ! ! ! !  i cant even begin to add up all the money spent on fines, restitutions, and attorneys.  how about the fact that we've spent over $200,000.00 dollars OUT OF POCKET just on rehabs alone?  
so you tell me...who was selfish and who was selfless?  at what point would it have been "ok" for me to kick them out? (which by the way i did)

Good post Lizzie, i hope this lady comes back on
I totally agree with what Lizzie said.I'm a little confused about the posters who don't think it's time for the original poster to practice some tough love.This woman didn't say she doesn't love her son or that she has turned her back she has simply said she has taken a step in not enabling him in his addiction anymore.She never said she didn't love him or wouldn't support him in his recovery.If this was his wife  or his g/f or best friend posting saying how his addiction is causing him to be abusive to them would you give them the same advice? What makes it different,if it does to anyone,that it's his mother?I'm sure that this poster is a wreck,and scared to death and sitting by the phone every day,jumping out of her skin when it rings,fearing that something has happened to her son,but what would you have her do? Nothing changes if nothing changes.I think it took a huge amount of love and courage for her to do what she did.I'm a mother of 3 grown children.I know this mother is hurting right now because she loves her son so much,but she can't love him to death.I know this had to be one of the toughest decisions this woman has ever made,but this just might be what saves her sons life.When you stop making an addicts problem yours and start making it their own,well a lot of times that the wake up call we need.As addicts when we know that we have people in our lives that no matter what we do or how we treat them they're still going to put a roof over our head and food in our stomach.Instead of appreciating that,we expect it,abuse it,and we are master manipulators.Right now I'm certain that this woman is hurting more now then she did before she made this decision.I also believe it is probably one of the most selfless bravest decisions shes will ever make in her life.I hope she comes back too.All the best...Kim
I never once said she didnt love her son but are we not on here to give our own opinions and experiences.We are at my husbands mums just now and she has not had it easy with him either. It has taken 13yrs but we are now 25days clean with the support of his mum. If she had thrown us out we would still be taking heroin. We have been there before to try to come off but to no avail although this time when we did it actually has worked with the help of mh also. I And if you reread my post i said different things for different people and what worked with my family. She also didnt say she was physically abused either. I also told her my heart went out to her as a mother of an ex-addict and an ex-addict myself but none of it would have happened without our mothers or my son with me. I also told her to follow her gut feeling and that she was probably right as she knew her own son better than anybody. But i would be more scared not knowing where he/she was. I know that desperation too. I also told her i knew how much she loved him and hadnt given upon him or she wouldnt be on here.I knew this would happen after i posted this but i am only saying what happened in my situation and told her i felt truly sorry for her and i too hope she comes back on. But surely i am entitled to my opinion just as much as anyone else on this site. My heart does go out to this womanand yes i know she is desperate. I was desperate too when i first came on this site. We got different opinions and answers from different people but i took in all the different opinions and decided what was best for me. It also depends on the addict and at what level he is at.Maybe she has made the best decision i truly hope with all my heart that she has but im only saying it was a different approach in our situation so we will agree to disagree and hope she comes back on and things are better for her.
no body here said NOTHN about her not loving her son gezzzz all a few of us were sayn cause were so soon outa recovery probably and some younger is that we see it in the kids perspective and how i woulda felt if i woulda been thrown out on the street, im not a parent and have NO idea what shes going thru but i was were her kid is at and no how i woulda felt and me personally do not thnk that its a good idea. and ur rite i do not know the full circumstances of what has been going on with the mom and kid i dont im going by my own experiences so calm down no one here ever said she didnt love her kid use ur heads who would say such a thng, were tryn to help this lady and not everyones gona agree i mite b wrong but thats how i feel so im not suppose to share it cause sum people disagree with me.
I also have experienced what your son is experiencing. I think it's the best thing. I didn't think so at the time but I do now. If your son doesn't hit bottom, he'll keep doing what he does because it's easy. If you help create his bottom, he'll be more likely to seek help or want to stop doing what he's doing.  It's very similar to the show (Intervention). They help create the bottom and stop enabling the addict and usually they seek help.
Its me back. Thanks for all the replies. Life takes many strange turns. After kicking my son out he got beat up with a bat, and now has a cracked skull and face. Second nite in hospital guess the meds werent enough, took some of his own oxy and overdosed, he flatlined but they saved him. Now back to square one, I feel I may have to look after him when he gets out but now he has been having free run of drugs and the problem may even be worse. The hospital was no help at first until the overdose and then they have offered him couselling etc. but he still denying he is an addict. Says he can kick it himself.  I have allowed only family to visit so he doesnt get some well wisher bringing anything else to him. I guess I will have to break the news to him that he can come home to recooperate but he will have no visitors and not leave the house.  I have arranged that he get his pain meds daily from the pharmacy and no prescrip. The old rules apply, and if he doesnt like it as painful as it is he cant come here. If it was just me maybe I could take the **** but not with a 4 year old gd. I have talked to the hospital about what if he cant come here he cant go out on the street with head injuries and they said there may be help. I had hoped he had finally hit bottom but maybe not yet. I am done with my tears again, feel the strength coming back but I feel angry with him.  
I respect your opinion. And congrats to you for getting there. I am not sure what you mean about what level he is.  I am still learning. But I do feel he is almost at bottom but unfortuneatly maybe not there and what it will take for him to be there. Yes you are right, I am very scared about where he may end up by kicking him out especially now that he is hurt but the verbal and emotional abuse has been enough, I cannot do anymore. I have been for counselling, I have reached out to support groups but it seems almost all addiction problems are personal, each very different, the circumstances not the same.  Which seems odd to me as addiction has been around for ever, but there is no book of rules that apply to everyone. You who have all been there have offered me more support already on here than I have got anywhere else. You start to feel really alone when friends  think oh well he is a bad kid and too bad that happened.  I am not asking for sympathy perhaps empathy and support for me and my other kids but most people just turn their back on you. Sorry for rambling but already I have felt more from you all here than anywhere.  Whoops thought was done with the tears.......... thanks for your replies
Mom, can I call you that? :) You are incredible. Beautiful, loving, kind-hearted. You're a mom. What else is there to be to your son than a loving mother who wants the best for him?
I was out-of-control at 18 yrs. old and my mom kicked me out. I was abusive, mean and wouldn't get a job. I went to live with my 'best friend' who had begun doing harder drugs. I knew I didn't want to follow that route, but I did other things I shouldn't have. I got pregnant and had an abortion. I hit rock bottom in life then. I almost committed suicide. My mom's heart was broken that I had gone through so much and blamed herself. I told her not to, and I still do.
I am an addict now. It's no one's fault but mine. No ones! People may be able to detox on their own and who knows, some people can get sober and stay sober for a long time without anyone (although, I've never known anyone to stay sober who didn't have help from friends, family and couseling). If my husband threw me out right now for taking painkillers and I lost my 16 month old daughter, it would be my fault.
I am getting help. I hate being like this. But I know that if people were enabling me and I was denying my problem, I'd keep stealing and shopping around for drugs and feeding this need to keep pain and shame away.
You'll do the right thing. I love my mom and respect my mom for telling me she had taken enough abuse from me. I hated her then (although, I didn't really hate her), but she kept praying for me and I think her prayers kept me alive long enough on my own for me to hit bottom, contemplate suicide, fall down on my knees, ask for forgiveness for all the horrible things I'd done, and move back home a changed person.

Yes, God did kick Adam and Eve out of the Garden. It wasn't because He was mad at them, it was for their protection. If they stayed there and ate of the tree of life, they would forever be caught in their sin, never dying, and never getting a chance at redemption.
Im so sorry to hear about your son being beaten up. I hope he gets better soon. I also thank god he was in the hospital when he overdosed. I thought maybe that would have gave him the fright he needed but obviously not. You are right in making these rules if he does have to come back and stay i agree with you 100% and you are right especially about getting meds daily and no visitors that a definate as those well wishers will be most likely be bringing him more pills. Im praying that maybe a properly prescribed amount of meds might stabilise him enough to see whats happening. We can only wait and pray he sees it. You are so right about not getting help from so-called friends. I have been in the exact same position they think oh hes terrible, as long as its not their kids they dont care, where as they should be saying, there but for the grace of god go I.
We also had no help until we came here but were able to stop the drugs by being on here. Everyone will support you and never judge you here as we have all been there or are going through the same things.
I will be thinking of you and your family as they go through the addiction too.
Just pm me if you ever need to know anything as i know you are not very sure about everything yet but i pray things get better for you and keep posting to ;et us know how you are and whats happening.

Good luck and try to think positive even though i know you cant see anything positive just now. Who knows anything can happen i thought it would never happen but im just as surprised as anyone with how far we have come so suddenly so it can happen when you least expect it and i hope it happens with you.
My son and his wife have been addicts for years. They have 3 beautiful children. They came to me 2 years ago asking for help. My mother had just passed away and I came into some money. I spent almost everything on them trying to help them get clean. In the meantime my brother and his wife took in the kids so they would not go into foster care. I thought they were doing so good. I had no idea they were still using. After almost a year they got their girls back and then one day I went to the bank only to discover that he had taken what money I had left. I was devastated. I made them move out and realized that I had made a terrible mistake by helping them get the girls back. These babies did not deserve to live this life. So I set in motion to have my brother get the girls again, as I was not able to give them the life they deserved. I have cut my son out of my life which is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I was just so tired of being lied to and them taking everything I worked so hard for. To be a part of him losing his children is something I don't think I will ever get over. They say tough love is the best thing to do but it is also the hardest. The girls are doing wonderful. They are being raised in church and have wonderful lives, which I am able to be a part of. To this day my son blames me for his addiction. I spend everything I had to help them and now I am financially suffering. I cannot be a part of his life. I cannot stand the addiction and what it has done. I love him more than life, but I love my grand children and cannot see them suffer because of their parents. Please be strong and know that you have done the right thing. It is still hard for me to accept what they have done. But sometimes we don't have a choice. I pray everything gets better for you and your son.
My 22 year old waited 5 months for a bed at the rehab where he is beloved. (wow that is so odd , the rehab where he is beloved) he has been in and out of this one for 4 years... He went and left the next day . a call to inform me how sorry they were , he was in an opiate withdrawal and left. I had to say what i mean and mean what i say.. He wants money he is tired walking for days , living under a bridge. He tried to cash (AGAIN) checks from his dad,  they called, but he didn't tell him to arrest him...HE was so close to being safe , jail is better then this . He is out of his mind.. And I am so sad. I walk around numb........ I already lost my nephew they all started on oxy and now are heroin addicts...I told him from the get go , you must finish a program or i will not help you . He is living under a bridge.... When will the sadness go away. all his veins are blown out , he has taken to shooting in his neck... I think gods speed ... We all just suffer...... But then all I see is that freckled faced blue eyed boy, and i miss him so much I am just so very sad
I'm sorry you are going through this.

People don't change until they want to, and sometimes, they never want to.

At this point, all you can do is pray, and find love/support from everyone you can.

I am sorry about this.
Thank you for such kind words

If you need to talk to someone even if it takes me a couple hours, feel free to message me.
Amen sister...I just kicked my son out.I feel like a thousand pounds was lifted off my chest.My son is 20 I know I did the right thing.To all the people on here saying let them stay show them love if you throw him out it might get worse.I threw him out to save his life believe me.He called me a stupid fxxxxing Bxxx one time to many.Just about every door ,cabinet etc torn up in my house that I work very,very hard for.To all you addicts out there take a long look in the mirror-what you are looking at is a self centered selfish lazy friend to satan.Go do something constructive,wash someones car,paint the walls in the house your sponging from.Go play tennis but quit destroying everybody around you.People make choices if they are going to choose to get help, die,live.steal.do right it does'nt matter where they are in your house or out.I love my son and always will i did this for both of us.I'm 53 and I am enjoying cleaning ,painting and repairing his room.I m going to go live life I know I raised my kids right and my son will wake up and get help. I just read over my post and i ccan tell im still mad.Part of it I feel I should have done it sooner.I was listening to a friend that has a 31 yr old and she is still dealing with it..I can not help my son til he gets help letting another grown adult lay up in your house and be sorry is not love.I also notice how people think since it is called a priscrition drug or legal pot it's not really a drug.They stagger around in slow motion deny there on anyhing and call you crazy.........crazy and stupid is letting them stay in your home rent free. If other children are in the home what do they see?It's OK with mom if we are on drugs and non productive.
If you haven't already, you might want to post your question on the forum "Living with an Addict",  they might have more insight to add.....
LIZZIE LOU- Loved your posts.

Islandcat-  My mom is a recovering alcoholic sober 11 years.  At the worst of her addiction, I kicked her out.  She was affecting us all in a horrible manner, i won't go into all the nasty details.  However, I called my best friends mom and told her to come get her, or the cops were.  I told my mom in one of her half sober moments, to not come back until she had gotten help, I threatened her with a restraining order from all of my family.  Up until this we had tried everything to help her.. my friends mom picked her up and drove her to a 3-month inpatient program.  She had failed inpatient before, so when she called me after detox, I told her i'm sorry but I couldn't handle the let down again, and would not have any contact with her while she was there.  This was her bottom, she later told me.  When her kids kicked her out, and refused to see her or talk to her.  From that day forward she has 11 years under her belt and has not relapsed once.  

Now i'm the addict, I chose not to share it with my family for fear of hurting them, stressing them out, and of course my mom feeling guilty, and my own shame.  Although, even high on pills, if my parents or husband had kicked me out, I wouldn't have blamed them.. he too I hope in time will get that.

I believe you did the right thing!  You cannot let his addiction affect you and the rest of your family, otherwise he is going to make you sick.  I became very sick with my mom's addiction (ulcer, stress, weight loss, insomnia, depression, vomiting.)  You remain strong, do what you can, but we all know you can't do much, until he wants to do for himself.  I'm sorry he was injured, and pray he wants help soon.  
I am curious after a couple years have gone by since your original post, how did things turn out?
I am a mother of a 29 year old addict that after 3 months living in my house I had to kick him out yesterday. Today I am sticking to my guns and not giving in to his threats. But it is killing me. He has been doing every drug imaginable for at least 4 years. He is a truck driver and passed out at the wheel a week ago with my 4 yr old grandson with him and rolled a fully loaded semi! Thank god they were ok. But now that he is not working he has more time for drugs! If that was not a wake up call I don't know what is. His cousin that went through rehab has arranged for a 3 month scholarship to a great rehab, all he has to do is call him. He won't even do that. So my opinion is he is just not "ready" to go. And I can't make him. He has lost everything. His wife is divorcing him, he doesn't get to see his kids anymore, he has no job, and all he does is more drugs! He gets very verbally abusive with me and tries to blame me and his wife for not doing anything to help him. When we have both spent hours setting things up for him then he won't go. Unfortunately his dad and his dads family are total inabelers and give him what ever he wants including drugs to calm him down! So I finally said, great go live with them. I am done until you can get help for yourself and treat me with respect.
I feel terrible about it, which lead me here, now I feel a little better. I have several different health conditions, most of which stress make worse and was supposed to have had surgery 2 weeks ago for a possible thyroid cancer and I have had to but it off. Not to mention my husband (his step father) works his but off everyday to come home to yelling and screaming and me upset everyday. I also have a 17 year old daughter that lives here that deserves some sanity to. She is so mad at him she won't come home if he is here, she stays at friends. I feel like I am neglecting the ones who need me and will take help for the one who is strung out , abusive, and won't do anything for himself at 29 yrs old.
All in all, I feel like I had no choice. I could no longer put the rest of my family through it anymore, and I feel like I was just enabling him to continue. He does have other family to stay with, he just didn't want to. Maybe they can figure something out for him and won't enable him. Which I probably why he wanted to stay here.
My 18 year old daughter is on Herion. She overdosed 6 months ago on methadone and is still using Herion. She avoids me and is hard to track down. She had no clothes or personal belongings with her. When I do see her is looks worse each time. I let her home for 3 days to detox but when she refused treatment I told her she had to go. I text her daily wishing her the best and tell her how much I love her. She feels bad about her choices but has still not gotten help. Everyone says to tough love it out but it is a living hell. I hate going to bed, the nightmares are almost as bad as the reality of it all.
I also have a 17 yr old, her sister who's going down the same road. It seems so many of their friends are addicts, kids that all grew up together. Very sad.
I couldn't read all the comments but i read the first page which is a lot considering i was just checking to see if a comment was lyrics to a song on a persons facebook comment lol. I'm adding this because my post got way longer then i wanted!!!!! WAY LONGER!!! Now i don't know how it feels to be a mother in this situation or will ever figure out what separates a drug addict to a recreational user that only does it once and a while but i can tell you that in my own personal experience that i do stuff now and then with friends but that's not the point or the objective of this post. i just wanted to tell you my story which might put your doubts on the choice you made to ease. So it starts when i went to the army because my family wanted me to( you know the whole family tradition, father had been to war 5 time yada yada yada) thought it would be fun to see the world and i did indeed, but also was exposed to more recreational drugs then before. ALOT of soldiers do all kinds of drugs both over seas and in the states (their not bad people by any means but being in the position they are in i understood the appeal and did at times do **** along side them) some got addicted some didn't.
    either way i come home from what my family wanted me to do and what i ended up loving to do! But wait low and behold I'm not welcomed with open arms I'm instead not aloud to stay with my parents lol. mind you I'm getting out of the army with almost no money because of lack of planning and thoughts that i would go to college.. needless to say i didn't have an addiction problem like your son has and yet my parents still did the OLD "life's tough get a helmet bit." For a while I scrounged my way threw and went to college. I can honestly a stronger person then i was before even after serving in the army for 3 years. That surprised me to say the least... there's nothing like being homeless to give you perspective of how bad life can really be instead of what you think as  you walk or drive by them.
    With that oddly long back round information to fill in blanks i would like you to know i never grew up well off so i know from a poor to middle class family that pills are not cheap by any means and i mean any means...  i cant speak for your family but in my extensive experience both in the service and outside of it on my own time i found that most NOT all and i stress NOT all because sometimes there are outside factors that allow for the cheap acess to pills that allow people that normally cant afford them to be able to. BUT most that have pill addictions start well they have plenty of spare money, maybe a friend that supply's for cheap to start then jacks the price up when they are hooked which usually ends in stealing to support the addiction, which could be your case. All i know is well in high school i remember people doing pills more then almost every other drug and even working a job 30 hours a week at 15 years old i couldn't ever of imagined buying the pills they were offering and i didn't have anything to spend my money on lol... i honestly don't know too many people that are addicted to pills with out a bit of money to support it from the start, its not the poor or middle class addiction honestly. were i live its one of the most expensive addictions out there lol. ie:1 vicodin cost any were from 4 to 8 dollars so a 50 bag of Cocaine would do more for you and last way longer then the 10 pills that an addict would eat in 20 min lol. pill popping usually starts in high school well they have no expenditures and a flow of money from possible a job? all guess work on my end but honestly at 23 a true taste of the real world is needed and seriously I'm not sorry to say this at all because i swear by it! tough love is the best love whether they hate you for it or not...If what you said is true you needed to throw him out and at least show him that your not going to sit around and support his addiction well he does nothing!

I would like to now apologize for my insane rant! i got TOTALLY carried away but i thought it was important info instead of just writing a post like most people saying "yea throw that bum on the street" lol. You just have to say at a certain point that enough is enough and throw out that bull crap about oh "its my baby and ill take care of you no matter what"even though your spending all your minimal amount of cash on drugs. instead you need to Put on the I'm dead serious face and tell him right to his face "i love you but your not welcome in this house unless its just to visit to say hi." tough love hurts for both people involved but it makes you either learn from your mistakes and correct them OR they continue down the same path with out your help though.... At the end of it you can say that you didn't stand by and blindly  help support his terrible choices because you couldn't make a serious stand against them......

Well that's it for my comments this YEAR! just wasted a half hour writing that and making sure i didn't sound like a total moron i hope lol. I never write anything to people so be nice i just felt like venting! lol. Well i wont be on this site probably ever again, was a fluke in the first place but good luck in the future with him and i know there are probably gonna be a few ***** that actually read the whole thing and say some stupid **** so yea you can go shove it right now before you get the chance to post a dumb comment.................
I so feel for you and I hear your love. I moved back in with my parents a year ago because I was ending a toxic relationship and it looked like they really could use my help. They are nearing 80 and still live in the large family home, have a vacation house, etc. I get the plus of not being alone.

That was fine until my addiction got so bad that I began taking a little cash here and there then got caught. I quit once before and came clean, but I have hidden the fact that I have fallen off the wagon. I have lied, just like one of the younger posters said, to keep from hurting my folks. I have been very creative. Until my mother confronted me about missing funds and asked flat out if it was drugs. I make too much money at work to be having any financial issues living with them with no expenses.

I'm not where your son is, and I thank God for that, but I cannot excuse the fact that I have stolen from my parents when they have been so good to me. My mother told me to quit or get out. I am quitting. I've been feeling guilty but wondering about them seeing me in detox AND not wanting to deal with it yet again. This will be the second time for me. But I want to encourage you to continue to do just what you are doing. In the long run it will be best for everyone.

There are many parents on this forum and though they might not check in as often, they do, and you will hear from them. Everyone has a limit to what they can take. You have reached yours. That is a good thing for all concerned. -Randy
hi these is my first time ever writing to anyone. My son is 22 my family has gone through so much. I paid fines lawyers bailed him out many times I even bought him a place to live thinking he was clean because i was paying one hundred dollars a week for him at the clinic and he was still using drugs. when i found ou t i through him out and brought him home. In three weeks he robed us of money and jewelry i even caught a drug dealer at my house So i had no choice but to through him out of my house. I dident sleep for three days on the fourth day he asked for something to eat and I told him I take him to a rehab he agreed and did good for a month i was sending him cig and twenty dollars a week. He called and told me he got a weekend pass and could come home. stupid me picked him up twice. this  pass weekend i got him on  Friday and by friday night i thought he was high of course he denied it but I knew. So today I call the rehab and found out he got kicked out for using after being there a month and would  have  to start over. So instead he decided to just live  at the homeless shelter and lie to us saying he gets to come home ever weekend. I talked to him after calling and finding out everything for the last two weeks has been a lie. I told him i wouldn't send him anymore money or cig and not to call me until he gets back into the rehab program. I feel like he's killing me I love him so much but I can not help him until he helps him self. I cant be-leave the length he will go to two do his drugs The help is right there, why do i feel like the worst mother in the world. Please help me to know I did the right thing what if he dosnt get the help and never calls can i live with that.  
I think about that all the time.  I did all of the same things you did.  My son is 26 and he has a 4 year old son.  I have paid fines, bail and lawyers many time.  I gave him a car to get to work, I gave him a place to live when he was kick out of his apartment, I paid for his cell, his insurance and anything his child needed.  I place myself is financial ruin for him.  Just because I loved him and because I thought that if I just kept trying to help him, trying to save him, he would be ok.  I was wrong.  I finally said enough was enough the day I had to run home from work because my neighbor called to say my son kicked my front door in and almost drove my car into the side of my house trying to get it started.  I had disabled it.   I dialed 911 and told him that he either go to rehab or jail.  I drove him to rehab that night.  Its been 3 weeks that he is clean at the rehab and for that I thank God.  However, I have realized that I can love my child without loving my child to death.  By enabling him, I was loving him to death.  I was giving him the means to continue to put that needle in his arm.  Police still come to my house looking for him and I live in fear or getting the mail or opening the door because I can only imagine what he did to get money for drugs but I have to stop living in fear and realize that it is his addiction and it does not have to ruin my life because it is not my addiction.  Don't know if this helps but hang in there.  Our ways weren't working and are not helping.  Now its up to them and just keep saying prayers that God can help them shed their addiction because we can't.  Good Luck.  
I'm sorry to hear about this.  I put my parents through the same torture as your son is doing to you...
This may be hard to hear but you have to let him decide that he wants to stop.  You need to support him in getting clean but that involves tough love.  No food, shelter, money, nothing.  As hard as that may be to do It is the best thing.
You must realize that it is out of your control and he needs to find his own way to sobriety.  
I have seen both sides of addiction, being an addict and putting my family thru hell.  Also dating one and seeing the other side and the damage addiction can do to loved ones.
There's not much I can say to help unfortunately...
You just have to pray that he will find his way to living a sober life
Hey Map & JFK76, this mommy posted her own thread on this site here last night and it was moved to the Living with an addict forum! I just checked & no one has responded but me! If you can please go over to the Living with an addict forum and post your replys! I think she really needs some support! Thank you!!
Thanks Son
my son has been addicted to herion for 3 years ive kicked him out nput himin 4 rehabs methadone clinics 3 times suboxone treatment 4 times called police put him in jail for thirty days nothing is working he just turned 21 and his dr says he is going to die from this he is living in my home so i can watch to make sure he dontoverdose i make sure he is breathing all night he uses a needle now what do you do when you have done everything to get him well he has stolen everything from us worth value abuses us i cant sleep eat or breath i know he will die he has overdosed 3 times my dr is going to perscribe me narcan i cant go on anymore do u have an answer for me please help me
Thank God and you so much for the eye opener of Adam and Eve eviction notice. I tossed my daughter and her boyfriend out of my house a couple of days ago and still wondered if I've done the right thing. My daughter was in intensive care the day I gave her three choices, one I told her I could go through all the channels of the law and force her to go to rehab or two she could go voluntarily and last I didn't want her in my life. You see, she overdosed and died three times, this third time of overdosing is why she was just in intensive care. After giving her these three choices and while she was still in intensive care she became angry and took her father and I from being able to find out about her progress but made it where her boyfriend was allowed to know everything about her progress. So, I had her boyfriends mom to have him call me but my daughter called instead. I let her know to tell her boyfriend I had thrown their things out and on the front lawn. Her reaction was, ok I'll be out there *****. She signed herself out of intensive care, their things are still here. The reason I am so angry with her boyfriend is while we were praying for her life, working prior to the medics arriving, using CPR to save her life, her drug addicted boyfriend staggered himself away from the seen while she was dying  and went downstairs and into the kitchen made himself a bowl of chile sat at the table, ate like nothing was happening. My daughter has a 10 going on eleven year old daughter who is now under the thumb of CYS to the idiot, the only grandchild I have. My daughter now has what they call duel diagnosis. Her body is falling apart with pain, her brain well you might guess, she swears at me like I've never dreamed and I've gotten into physical altercations with her over the disrespect that i won't tolerate. I've thought about giving my daughter the opportunity to only allow her to stay here and see if she would say yes. This could give her a break away from her boyfriend and then we would be able to see how much of an influence he has on her if any. I'll keep you up to date if you'd like.
                                               Thank You So Much new girl 2708
Hello, my son is 23 and has been in this Hell for almost four years. Thank you for your words of encourgment! I feel helpless, J is my only child and we are, were very close. This addiction has taken so much form us! It's VERY nice to hear that there is hope! Again thank you! J is currently in jail and is more than likely going to prison. I tell myself, at least he's alive and not doing harion. Stay clean stay positive!  MP
What about the Mom whose daughter has been to rehab twice and won't go again. She has a 3 yr. old daughter that she runs from drug house to drug house. We're finally getting custody, but she can't live here now. I can't leave the house EVER with her alone in it. Shes stolen everything of any value in our home including clothes from her 19 yr old sister and myself. We are at our Witts end!!!!!!! Ive already lost a son to hanging who was addicted to Meth. Now she addicted to the same thing. I woke up the other morning to find a bag of crystal meth on my hallway floor!!!!!!!!! I hated kicking her out. I want to cry every second. But, really love them to death. Ya, that's exactly what I did to my son and it did end up in death!!!!!!!!!!
My son is 19, he has been smoking weed since he was 15 and now he does pills...Zannax, Valium, pain killers of any kind. We have enabled him with money, shelter, and kept bailing him out of situations, including getting arrested.  We have a 12 year old at home and did not want him to be exposed to the smell of weed from his room..(his clothes smelled and we thik he was hiding weed in his room). Enough was enough, he did not want help and we just didnt think it would become a problem and thought he would outgrow it.  We asked him to leave our home and he moved in with his grandpa.  It was fine until people were coming by his grandpas house, trying to look for our son and soon find out he was selling.  His grandpa only has use of one side of his body from a stroke so he didnt feel safe anymore in his own place so he asked our son to leave.  Well, I and his grandma felt bad for him, so we set him up in an apt.  He had a few jobs and we paid for his sell phone, grandma paid his insurance, and we helpeed give him furniture and food...you name it...we were class A enablers, but were hopeful that this move would make him grow up.

Not even 8 weeks into living there, he ad so many complaints about noise, that the landlord said one more complaint and he was out.  We learned he had 2 girls living with him that they later admitted he was hitting them and was mentally abusive.  His mood was changing and he was always angry.  He finally lost his job because of the drugs, and he lost his girlfriend and he got robbed at his apt from 3 friends he says and then he was about to lose his apt.  So again, we packed him up, brought him home once again with the promise he gos to counceling.  He agreed, but then once in, he kept putting it off....staying up all night, sleeping all morning.  My husband checked his phone and figured out he was selling drugs.  He would get texts al hours of the day and night.  This wasnt the worse part.  The first three days he was there, while my husband was at work, he would explode if I asked him questions....telling me to mind my own F_____ business and that I was a F______ B____.  His anger was out of control, I felt like a prisoner in my own home. My youngest son and I heard him actually in the bathroom "talking" to himself and answering...he was so out of control and upset.  I knew it was the drugs. He would leave for hours and when he came back, he would come through the door and say, "Hi Mom, whats up?" as if nothing happened.  He was Jekyl and Hide and I knew that this wasnt my son.  I was scared,never seen him this bad..I kept texting my husband at work,my husband felt helpless and couldnt concentrate on his work, he told me to leave him alone for now and go to my room and when he got home, he questioned my son and asked him about his behavior, he said he just wanted everyone to leave him the F___ alone.  He wanted to just lay around, eat our food, do his drugs. come and go as he pleased, not do any chores, and talk to us anyway he wanted to. We knew he would soon be out, but we had to see our options first. My 12 year old lived in fear when he got home from school, he would sit by me with his cell phone waiting to call 911 if he came to me to hit me.  We called a treament center and they said we can ask him he would come to the center with us for an a evualuation, and if he didnt, we could call our police dept and they could escort him there if he was out of control.

My husband called the police and they said they could not do anything unless he was harming himself or threatening to, which he wasnt, he did however confessed to wanting to kill the guy who stole his stuff, police said it didnt help, there was nothing they could do but help us escort hiom our of the house if we chose to make him leave.

Last night, after 3 days of him calling us the worse names we have ever heard, and the destruction of some of our own personal items in the house and the outbursts, my husband asked him one more time...will you go to the treatment center with me just to talk to them?  He said HELL NO, and then my husband said, that he needed him to leave our house.  HE called me a F_____ B____ again, told us that he hoped we rot in hell, and said that he couldnt count on his f_____ family.  We never heard him talk like this before.  My husband kept asking why the attitude was worse...we later found out that prolong pill pooping makes people manic, destructive, depressed and just out right mean...he dispalyed all of this.  We were in fear of him, and after many years of enabling him, he was out.  Many years ago, we threw him out only to worry about where he was, is he eating...the whole nine yards and foolishly we took him back in.,He stayed out in the woods sleeping and staying.  A counselor later told us that our mistake was in letting him back in..He said we should have left him in the woods....and that he was an addict.

It is Thursday morning and I dont know where my 19 year old boy is, the one I brought into the world and brought himn to church and tried to teach him to have respect for women, and people. We taught him right from wrong and we are a Christian family....people look at us as what kind of parents were we to have a son like this?  We did nothing.  It is all self afflicted and I pray and hope he realizes he has nothing and he will come home and ask for help.  It was the hardest thing to do, but if it was easy, they wouldnt call TOUGH love, tough.  My husband is upstairs so  out of it, so sadded by his actions, but we knew we couldnt continue to let him run our home.  Enabling only prelongs the addiction...I know we are doing the right thing.....but We love him so...We are so heartbroken. Grandma is so depressed over it, well, everybody is....all I have is hope, and prayer.  I know after reading many posts, we are not alone.
I am going what you are going thru.  Our 20 year old son sounds just like yours.  I admire you for kicking him out.  We are on the verge of doing that too.  How are things for you today?
I think when you kick your child out of the house - and stick to it, it's because you have had enough, don't know what else to do and can no longer stand by watching them self-destruct and tear the rest of the family apart.  At least that's what happened in my case - there was nothing left for me to do.  My son is now going to AA on his own accord.  I haven't seen him or talked to him in months.  I miss him and love him and pray that he's ok.  Sometimes that's all you can do.  Prayers for us all.
welcome here, dbdone.... there is a  great forum here  !living with an addict" that could help you and  give you support if you need it. All the best

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Addiction-Living-with-an-Addict/show/1176
I have read your post and I seem to be able to relate to you the most! Tonight, I kicked ny 28 year old son out of our home tonight. He has been kiving with us for over 3 years. He works in the summer doing lawn work and I think he still is working but he lies so much, who knows. In the last three years he has ran up our credit card twice, at least 2300. He's pond my husbands jewelry,sterio, 2 tv's, dvds, several bar signs,anything we had of value, always saying he'll get them out when he gets money. He smoked spice for years but said he was off it. Tonight we had it out because he pond our lawn mower and other things. Tonight I told him to leave and he said no.I told him you don'y leave, I'm calling the police, he said go ahead and when he heard me he went crazy , calling me every name in the book. He said, he hated me, he hopes I die tonight, he hopes chock and die. He called me a fat bit.. and cun. He got in my face, I thought he was going to hit me. The police came and he left calmly with his dog. Later the police came back with the dog and Ryan, saying he's making arrangements but needs us to take the dog. We did. I feel so bad, I can't sleep. Please tell me I did the right thing. I really need to talk with someone who's been there. I noticed your post is an old one but I hope U will get this and respond. Thanks for listening!
We kicked our 28 year old son out of our home tonight. I hope I did the right thing. I really can relate to your pain! Maybe we can help each other through this. Please reply....
Yes I told our son not to come home.  That I had no interest in anything he had to say unless it was "I'm going to treatment".  After he overdosed on heroin in my home and I happened to hear him fall.  I called 911 and began CPR.  By the Grace of God, he 'chose' to OD in my home, when I was awake, when I could hear him fall, when I could call 911, when I could try and revive him... IF it was 2 minutes later, IF he had done this in his car, IF the kids in our neighborhood weren't dropping like flies... IF I hadn't said PLEASE GIVE HIM NARCAN.... I think he might have done HEROIN...

Things might have been very different.  I thank GOD I had the chance to kick him out when he said - I am fine.  I don't need rehab. I only did this once.  I don't know why I did it....

I snapped.

That was 3 weeks ago.  That image flashes in front of my face EVERYDAY.  Him lying unconscious... blue lips his neck turning blue.  This was MY turning point.  MY wakeup call.

Things will be very different in my home.

I do not know where he sleeps.  Where he works.  What he does.  If he is alive.  I am grateful God woke me up and I pray everyday God wakes my son up and he takes his chance again at life.

Like I am.

God Bless us all....
Wow!  I know that must have been difficult, but good for you for taking care of yourself.  
I stumbled across this forum because I just kicked out my adult son. He is not a drug addict. He is, however, addicted to the Internet. I know that sounds silly to some people. He has problems with depression and anxiety, and I have seen him drink often enough that I think if he had more money (any money), he would become an alcoholic, but the Internet is a convenient way to avoid life and escape without spending extra funds.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I agree with Yaya1212. Every word. I cannot take the stress of living with a grown person who never lifts a finger, doesn't work, doesn't go to school, and won't take his meds or make his Dr. appts.
Wow, i love your comment.  It sounds exactly like my life and I almost thought that i wrote this,
Thank you
You sound like you have definitely lived it...  good advice.  Here is my situation.. I have twin boys, now 20.  I've sent them to rehab out of state.  After the 1st time of 90 days my son came back home to start smoking heroin again.  His twin went back to rehab and  has 8 months clean lives out of state and works and is progressing and sober thank God.  The twin that's here is so back to day one, smoking the drug in the house, you know all the stuff that goes with it.. lying, stealing... and I can't do it anymore.. he has 2 little brothers here 4 and 5 and I can't let them grow up with this... my husband his step dad wants to file an eviction and if he shows up call the police.... My addict in the home also has a trespass ticket that went to warrant.  2 months ago I sent him back to detox, then to the 90 day program, he immediately got kicked out - I bought him a bus ticket back home to get him out of the city his twin was in...so my question is do I evict him.??  he will not go to rehab.  Is that the right thing..??  I have exhausted all avenues over the last 2 years... now I feel I have to protect the lil brothers and my marriage.  I love my son so much and I know I am an enabler.. I just feel like if I kick him out he will end up dead.... and I will feel guilty.. please give me some advice you seem to have been through this...
my beautiful son, 36, is an alcoholic & takes whatever pills he can get....he denies he has a problem.....he has been to rehab twice, he has lived in a homeless shelter, lived in a shed in the dead of a NY winter....and says rehab is uesless, as EVERY addict will relapse.....he lives in another state (thank God), does not work, has had dozens of server positions at restaurants over as many years, lives with a girl who has finally had enough (after living with him for 2 years)......we are literally waiting for "the call" in the middle of the night.....is there ANY hope for him???
I have 24 years old daughter who has been an addict for last few years. Finally, she agreed to go for rehab and she stayed sober for 90 days. She moved to sober living after rehab but were kicked out because of relapse. She went back to rehab again for 28 days and she felt very sorry for her action. We brought her home after she completed her rehab hoping that she has changed but all our hopes were shattered when she relapsed again in just 1 days. Finally, we kicked her out from our home. We took back her car keys and cell phone hoping that she would realize the mistake some day but at the same time scared that we might lose her because she is so stubborn and tough head. As you mentioned, we also have spent hundred of thousand of dollars of our hard earned money to bring her to normal. We are so scared of the consequences of kicking her out of our house and don't know if we did the right thing. We have tried everything else and it was a last resort for us.
this is a very old thread, feel free to start another one so you will get more support.   click on forums on the top of this page, choose 'living with an addict' and then click on 'new question'.  

rossy1, i may have let her keep her cell phone for emergencies.  is there anyway to get it back to her??  i would have done the same thing, minus the cell phone.  you have to have some boundary where you say 'no more'

my heart aches for you all
Hi Rossy.....try going to this forum called "Living with an Addict" and post again....you will get current feedback and support that way.  The thread you posted on is a very old thread and won't get much visbility, ok?

I'm 100% in support of your actions....ALL of them...there is no such thing as "enabling them just a little".....cushioning consequences in ANY way only keeps them from the pain of their own choices.

Here's the link for you:

Hi, my story is similar toyour. My son is 23 and has 3 years of college under his belt.  He was football player in HS and complained ofheadaches and I am not sure if that was when he started experimenting.  

My cabinets are ruined, his room is destroyed, staineless steel refrigerator and dishwasher dented...the list goes on.  I've done the repairs but I am at the point I need him out of the house. The verbal abuse to me, his mother is unwarranted.  I can't say or do anything that he respects so why does he chose to be around me.

To tell you the truth, I do not know that he is addicted to pills. I have seen little plastic bags from time to time but not that often. I know he smokes marajuana and can only assume there is another vice because of his attitude.