Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
lortab overdose

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

lortab overdose

im on lortab and today i overdosed. i thought i was going to die. im going to go off them cold turkey. what should i expect?
How many do you take a day?  What strength are they?  How long have you been taking them?  When you say you overdosed, what do you mean??  You will find many helpful people here who will help you through this.  Welcome to the forum and it helps alot to read all the posts you can, write as much as you can, and stay active.

Peace
ive been taking them  a yr and a half. 25ml a day. they are 7.5/500. i took some yesterday and i couldnt breathe,my heart went fast,i itched,felt really weak.

help.i hate this.
Does that mean you're taking four of these a day or 25...I can't really tell from your post.  Also, how many did you take that induced the "overdose"?  Have you been at the same amount the whole time or has the usage gone up?  I will try to help, as will countless others here.  Hang in here with us!

Cold turkey will put your body into further shock...DONT DO IT!  If you have overdosed you should go to the hospital and explain the situation....this can KILL YOU!  

Once you return from the hospital I would recommend a VERY SLOW TAPER schedule.  Find someone you trust...give them your pills and decrease your intake by a pill every 2 days.  
it means i took 4-5 a day. i have to go cold turkey,i wont get near the stuff...it was too scary. the overdose happened just by taking my regular dose...maybe it stayed in my system too long?
Perhaps you had a reaction to the medication.  I would definately talk to a doctor about it.  At the dose you've been taking, you can expect to feel bad for 5 -7 days.  Days 2 and 3 will be the worst.  Mostly, you're going to have bad flu-like symptoms, sweats, chills, diarrhea, achiness, restless legs and/or arms, maybe even a low grade fever.  Then again, some people, if it is their first time going through withdrawal, don't have a bad time with it.  Everyone's different.  Immodium AD will help with the diarrhea.  Also, there are many suggestions on here.  Do a search for the Thomas Recipe.  You will find some great information there.  Don't be afraid.  We'll be here to support you and answer any questions you have.

Peace
how long will these withdrawls last? should i take motrin?
I am 9 days into a C/T off of Lortab 7.5/500's. The first big question is will you die for going cold turkey, the answer is NO. The first day is not going to be real bad physically, but mentally it is going to make you wish that you could take just one to help with slight symptoms. Don't do it. One is too many and a hundred ain't enough. It's an old saying but very-very true. The second day you are going to start expeiancing muscle aches. Motrin may help, or may not, personally I used Tylenol extra strength. The third day is the hardest, you are going to ache all over, not want to move around much, and your eyes may become sensitive to light, mine did but everyone is different. The fifth day the muscle aches will subside without any motrin or tylenol. You will begin to feel like you used to before starting on the Lortabs. After day 5 it all becomes a mental game. You may con yourself into thinking that you can take one and it won't affect you. Again: DON"T DO IT!!! Hang in there and keep coming back to this sight. It helped me and many others to go C/T and make it. I'm wondering how you overdosed on just 4 pills? Maybe you had never taken that many before or if you took motrin too it was just too much for your stomach and body to handle. I abused Lortab 7.5's for 12 years. My usual morning dosage was 13-15 pills, just to feel normal. After that it was 4-6 pills every 4 hours. I would usually top out at 30-35 pills a day, and on occasion tokk over 50. I know that my tolerance was extremely high for the medication. Even ytaking 15 at once did not get me 'HIGH', it just made me feel normal and able to function for the day. Good Luck and I'm praying that you make it. Life is so much better on the otherside especially when you don't have to plan your day around getting your next fix.

Take Care and Keep in Contact,
       pAULo'
Everyone is different, but generally, the physical withdrawal begins to subside on day 4 and gets better each day.  With the level you were taking, you should feel pretty much back to normal by the end of a full week, other than some weakness and lack of energy.  That is normal and your energy level will improve over time.  Try to rest, eat well, stay dehydrated and stay busy to keep your mind off of it.  You'll get through it.  Withdrawal sucks, but it won't kill you.

Peace
when will i feel totally back to normal physically? i feel like im dying.
ive been in a wheelchair my whole life due to sma. www.fsma.org    ive done alot of hard things in my life but this is the hardest. i just need to keep my mind off it. its soo hard. ive been balling.
I'm so sorry you're suffering.  I promise that it does get better.  Try to find something you enjoy doing to take your mind off it for even a few minutes at a time.  Keep posting and letting us know how you're doing.  We'll help any way we can.  You've found a good place, I promise.  

Peace
Please don't get upset about my comment,but 4-5 7.5's is really not enough to kill someone
or especially overdose on. Maybe I'm wrong,but a few weeks ago,I popped 30- 10mg ones in
only 2 days time and I'm still here. Didn't even touch me. They don't help my pain at all,is why
I took so many. That's just showing you people how messed up I am. I'.m not trying to be
incensitive,really. Just saying you shouldn't be overdosing or feel the heart palps,unless maybe
you have an underlying issue that the pills made worse is all. Hope you feel better.
i have a high fever. feel like im on fire. i only weigh 55lbs.
i have weak muscles. thats my underlying issue.
I don't know enough about your condition to advise you...I wish I did.  I did visit the website for sma and read about it.  Thank you for that.  :-}  I would imagine, though, if you have weak muscles that could affect your breathing and heart rate without adding drugs to the mix.  Is there someone with you you could talk to about this and get to a doctor??  It certainly doesn't sound like you were abusing the drugs, so there should not be the "shame" issue in discussing this with someone that many of us addicts face when needing help.  If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?  Please let me know what you do and how you're doing.

xoxoxo
Rosie
im 24. get to a dr for what? i still feel sick. my body doesnt like being off the lortab but i dont wanna die.
If you think you're going to die, you need to get to a doctor.  I really, really don't know what detox is like for someone who is weak going into it.  I hope someone with much more knowledge than I will jump in here.  Are you feeling any better???  Please keep me posted.

Rosie
i dont wanna die from taking lortab, is what i meant. :)  i just posted my pic,im so bored. im on day 3. i wasnt abusing it but when it was time for it i demanded it.
Are you feeling any of the withdrawal symptoms letting up yet??  You should be on the downward slope of the withdrawals by now  Days 2 and 3 are usually the worst, and then it starts getting better.  I would stay away from any kind of narcotic painkiller in the future.  Are you in a lot of pain from your condition?  I would talk to the doctor and have him give you something non-narcotic for pain in the future.  There are a lot of pain medications that don't suppress the central nervous system that may be able to help you.  Keep me posted, please.

Rosie
what kind of pain meds are non narcotic? im not in much pain. im kind of mad at my dr for giving it to me. i didnt know how hard it is on your body. ive been taking motrin. i still feel sick but theres minutes of time where i feel better but then i crash.
The way you are feeling is normal.  Hang in there and in another couple of days you should feel like your old self again.  I don't have the answers, really, about what pain meds you should be taking.  I've always opted for the narcotic ones...because that's what addicts do.  I would throw away the non-narcotic ones, if I even bothered to fill them.  

Peace
im getting sick of feeling like this. are you in lots of pain? whyd u start taking narcs? lortab became my 'friend' does that mean i was addicted?
Yes, it does mean you were addicted.  You can read my story on a post (that should be near the top of the page) entitled "Day 4".  You're a beautiful girl.  You are going to get better, I promise.  The sick feeling WILL go away.  

Rosie
thanks. ill find the 'day 4 and read it. is my body always gonna crave lortab?
No...your body is not going to always crave lortab.  Your mind might for quite some time, though.  Hang in there, sweetheart.  You're going to come out of this okay...I really do promise you.

Rosie
You might want to see your doc and ask for clonodine (a high blood pressure pill but is kind of the norm for doc's to give for w/d) or something that you don't have to suffer so much with your w/d. I was hurting for 2 weeks after I stopped. Just say you looked on line for answers for how you were feeling from the lortab but you dont think you can go without. I can understand at your weight alone that 4-5 pills in a day could affect you like it did. You dont have to tell the doc you OD, you only have to say you have been taking a little more than norm and had a reaction from the lortab, and the doc has been giving these to you for you said 1 1/2 yrs so he should not question it and want to help you. If you are serious about getting off the pills for good and think you made need some meds to stay off than read some posts about the meds out there now (suboxone, subutex, methadone and others) and see which may be right for you. I lived on lortab for about 15 years and quit last Feb.and take Methadone, but it's a big commitment going to a clinic almost every day the 6 mos so I am cutting back to quit taking that as well. I don't think that would work for you. I hate what those pills do to your body and I really feel your pain. You will get through this.      
my brain is telling me i need it. i keep having anxiety attacks. i want to die. everyone leaves me. boys, my 'friends', my dad.
Your body and mind does need them right now because you have condition your self to live off the meds so you have to fight now for your life back. Is everybody leaving you or fed up with you and the pill use. My wife left me because i took pills over her. People do get tired of helping someone who will not help them self. I did this to my self and it destroyed my life and now I am picking up the pieces. If you know deep down you are fighting an addiction than take a good look around and see where you are and where you want to be. Don't feel sorry for your self anymore and just atttack the problem. It is hard but you can do it and if you start to try than others will come back to you and help. I am in my 50's and have been fighting drug abuse for 38 yrs and I am much happier without them in my life.  
im on day 4. still feel like ****
This should be hump day for you so each day you will feel a little better. Are you able to sleep at night or are is just off and on all day & night. That's the way I was and it is hard to get going when you feel pulled down dog tired. Once you can get some solid sleep you will get some energy back. Just take it one day at a time and try to share how you are doing, OK!  
im so out of it
"im so out of it" Those are the same words i always used to describe how i felt coming off the hydro's. Just make up you mind this is the last time you want to do this to your self. I kept kidding myself and would keep getting more pills and say i will taper and than eat all them in a couple of days. You really need to find a way to release your feelings either by writing or talking to some one you trust and you can tell all. At least here no one knows you from adam and you can pretty much say whats on your mind and there always someone that will respond to you so try to loosen up some and get some of your feelings flowing.  I am finding out here that so many people hid their addiction from everyone close to them for years living in the same house. I did that, have you?
no...i didnt hide it. its not my fault my dr put me on it. if your dr puts u on it for a year,ur gonna get addicted. i had no idea it would put me through so much hell. my eyes feel like watermelons and my head like a dinasour. when the heck will it get better? i cant even see straight.

i hate what you do to me.

i hate how you ran through my veins trying to get mr to like you. you did a very good job. i loved you. but now im gonna smash the **** out of you. flush you out of my veins. send you packin. **** off, i dont love you anymore.
That's the way girl, get talking it out of your life and don't look back and you will see an improvement in your life day by day. You can not kid yourself that pills can be a part of your life any more since you are addicted to them. One of my doc said I would need pain killers the rest of my life so that was a green light for me. I would have the worst nightmares while using and I was always on the losing end of what ever the dream was.The drug is to a point where it is a posion to your body and your mind now so fight it off, find someone & somewhere you can detox and you WILL feel better. You can't see it when your hurting but read these posts and there are people at all stages of w/d and detox and clean so the price is right here to get some of the best advice, but YOU have to want it and I know you do.You might want to reach out to a higher power, what ever you believe in. I prefer to call on Jesus.You are doing fine just get it up.  
I have been addicted to lorcet for the past year. I have weaned myself down from 2 pills a day to half a pill twice daily but when I try to stop completely the jitters and the irritability and the feeling in my head is so bad I cant stand it. Im wondering if I should ask my family doctor if he can give me something for a week to help me with those symptoms. Its rather embarrassing because a doctor never prescribed me the medication.
momoney~How do explain the lorcet to the doc? I don't think he is going to help if you are getting
rx behind his back. You are doing great if your down to 1/2 pill 2x/dy. You are closer to recovery than you think. You can try the Thomas Recipe that is splashed in posts here or the rx clonodine for the w/d. Someone else here will soon help you with your question. This is a fight that you can win.
I have been addicted to lortab 10mg for six years. I would wake up and take at least six with five tylenol just to start the day by five in the afternoon i ate twenty if not more and they weren't prescribed. I'm on my 3rd day without one and to top it off i've had to work all three days, i thought i was going to die. I still have muscle aches and don't feel like moving but i have let this control me way to long! I didn't think there was life without them and Im only 24. it hasn't been easy but what did i expect i did it to myself and now im getting them out of my life. Its so easy just to go back to them but why to go thru this again no i won't. I went cold turkey i take no more than 4 tylenol throughout the day to help with the aches. I feel if i can get thru it so can anyone. Don't give up
i keep having panic attacks.
The 3rd and 4th day are the worst so it sure be uphill from here. I think both you ashly and sinkorswim are about the same age so being young sure helps in recovery.  s or s~ i had alot of panic attacks too the 1st week or so of quitting but your body has to adust to the changes. Are you talking or writing to someone because you can not keep your feelings in. The more you can express here & tell about yourself the more people will be able to help you so don't stay bottled up OK.
i feel much better today and i promise it will get better and there is life after them stupid pills. Its my fourth day without one and i never thought i feel like i do now, i can actually move without them. Find you something to do and dont stop thats what they do to me at work and it really helps. Also  the movie that has really helped is 28days with sandra bullock. if you haven't seen it please do. She is just like me except i took way more than her and she goes thru all the withdrawls and she made it just like im doing. Please rent it, it will help. It did me!!! everytime i think bout how im hurting i think of it and i will raise a horse hoof.
I'vebeen on 6 vicodin a day for four years.  I'm not out of them but I just want off of them.  I'm tired of thinking of my next fix or looking at the clock until the next dose.  Never got them legally.  I hate it.  I just want off.  Should I wean down to two then stop?  Go cold turkey?  Does everyone just try valium and alcohol to get through?  It's ruining my life slowly but surely.  I'm encouraged when I hear some of you were takin 30 pills a day and kicked it.  Any suggestions would help greatly.
i can take thirty easy right now, but i have let them take my life for 6 years. Go cold turkey and keep your self busy. even though you feel like you can't move. i got busted with them by my mom at my work and i work with a christian family. I was so embarassed they thought a lot of me and then they find out there is another side to me. i had to work everyday since and the second day i was laid on the bathroom floor at work thinking this will never end and how it is so easy to make it all go away but i found my old self again and i seriosly started talking to myself saying you can do this your much stronger than those pills don't let them take your life anymore!!! i was so tired about lying to myself. I quit cold turkey and it is my 4th day without one and i promise you i feel much better those first three days are killer but tell yourself are you that weak that you will let a pill run your life and hang in there i promise by the 4th day you will feel much better take a few tylenol a day to help the pain and you will get thru it. you should also rent the movie 28 days it really helped me a lot i promise you can relate to it. don't go to valium or xanax they are the hardest drug to get off of and you can't quit them cold turkey with out serious problems, i talked to a counselor today that told me that so if you need any advise i will gladly help cause i thought i was the only one going thru this but i'm not and i am much better now and if only someone gave me the courage to do it, it is rough but it is well worth it
Thanks a lot!  Boy would it be great to have someone to lean on.  I hide this from everyone.I haven't told my closest friend or wife.  I'm a practicing professional and very functional.  But it's such a lie.  I just hate it and want to stop before I ruin my life or lose my career.  I know I'm onll on a relative few a day, but it runs my life and is in my evry thought.  It sucks.  I feel like a piece of ****.  I've gone as long as four days without it before, but I would have a beer or two and a valium to work it off.  It sucked at times but I also felt I was getting more normal again....wanting to go and and socialize more  and had more energy around my kids.  I'm just so afraid of the pure detox.  Going in patient isn't an option because of what I do.  I can't leave what I do for that period of time.  It just ain't kosher.  Is there are outpatient that is out there?  I really don't want the methadone or subox as I heard those make things worse.  Thanks for any support you can give me.
tomorrow will be day 7. i feel  bettter physically but not mentally.
i know how you feel i have two kids and going thru a divorce but my husband took them also he actually gave me my first one. I am going to an outpatient monday thru friday few hours a day cuz i have detox myself already and i promise you will live without them. it is still a little rough but my pride is much stronger i never thought i would defeat them pills and i did so come on you can do this don't let them run you anymore that is the worst feeling in the world. I know you will hate doing this but flush them and never go back. Open up to your wife and family and tell them you have a problem you want to fix. They will support you. You can do this. I'm doing it with you too.
its day 7 and i have NO ENERGY. why?! please dont tell me ill always be this fatigued!
i'm on day 5 and i don't have much energy until i go to work and then it takes a min to get energy but i do eventually get it. Find your self a project and keep yourself busy. you will feel better. Their is life after pills. don't let them run your life anymore. Keep it going keep your head up. talk to me anytime it helps me.
listen to the song 'sober' by kelly clarkson. its sooothing
i will definitly listen to it. I listen to free bird that helps me and also survivor by destinys child but i think of my pills in both songs
I'm curious how you are doing now.  It appears you are holding it together.  What are you doing for the w/d?  I know keeping busy is a great idea.  Just wondered what you do at night before bed.  I get so restless and my shoulders, for some reason, ache like ****.  What are you doing? Did you try the thomas recipe?  Anything else?  How is it going physically vs. mentally?  I wish you luck.  
I'm doing good. I do have my moments and when i start feeling that way or thinking of them i get up and find something to do. I have a lot of support behind me also i'm 24 and i just left my husband and moved back in my parents house and they knew i had a problem and everyday they tell me how proud they are and i know that might sound cheesy but it really does help. Also talking to you helps me, we are going thru the same thing and i feel like i have came so far, a week with no pills is long when you take as many as i did, and to tell somebody who is just starting it that it will get better encourages me to keep it up. At night it sucks sometimes its 4 before i actually fall asleep i will toss and turn all nite, My arms hurt more than anything. Physically... it is rough no lie but my kids seeing me sober for the first time means everything. I still have aches but tylenol does help. I'm not a very religious person but i really have started praying a lot to make me strong to get thru this. Mentally... saturday at work i broke down couldn't stop crying and couldn't pull myself together but i made it thru the  day. I'm so happy to say i'm proud of myself. Pride is everything. Do this for yourself so you can quit watching the clock for the next pill. I promise you feel so much better because your not lying to everyone or yourself anymore and it just makes it easier. Let me know how you are doing, Please keep in touch
hey lett me know how you are doing, if you attempted to go thru it and kept it up or gave in, just let me know if your ok,
who
just letting you know im really concerned about you, want to know if you are doing ok.
hey!!! I'm great, I feel better than ever i went to church and got saved and i'm on cloud nine. Still no pills, no thoughts about pills!!!! how are you, you really had me worried, How your kids doing
Can you overdose on only twoo
I'm  feeling suicidal and I was wondering how many loratabs it will take to die..I'm NOT going to do it I was just wondering so I DON'T take too many.....no hope nick
honey please get some help if you are feeling this way....call a friend, call the ER....anything!  just please get help....and please post a new thread....go to the top of the page and hit "post a question"  that way other people will see it and you can get some help.  This is a really old post.  
This post is not old I just wrote it..I will put it at the top thanks..