methadone
Finally went to the addiction psychiatrist today. Went mediocre. He referred me to his partner to switch from methadone to subs. What am I going into? I switched to subs yrs ago but it wasn't the same. I have been on methadone for 5 yrs...from 90mg now down to 25.....how hard of a switch is this? Please ppl who know. good news or bad let me know
I sent a message to one of the regulars to check out your post with some help.  Hang in there til he (gnarly) gets here.  
Hello. I switched from methadone to suboxone in 2007 after being on it for almost 12 years. First, I had to drop my dose from 155mgs to below 30 mgs (22.5mgs) before it was possible to make the switch.  I waited a full 4 days from my last methadone dose before I took 4 mgs of suboxone, incrementally increased by 2 mgs every 4 hours until I felt comfortable.

I finally stabilised at 12 mgs and began detoxing (2mgs daily)  the very next day. Within 8 days I was off the suboxone (and the methadone) and I was generally suprised at how painless it actually was.  Thats not to say I didnt feel withdrawals but they were much less severe than the detoxes I had done over the years.. Had I just switched (not detoxed) Im positive it would have been a painless transition. In fact,  the first 2 days on slowly decreasing doses, I felt great, even a little buzzy. Only when my dose dropped below 8mgs did I start feeling a little miserable.

Of course there are things we can do to make the switch easier. Most important is waiting as long as possible before having that first dose. Some people have a low pain threshold and when the first signs of discomfort appear they whinge and convince themselves they are in severe withdrawals. I was also a wimp when it came to withdrawals but desperation and frustration helped me to push through those periods and remember what I was trying to achieve.  Seriously, the longer you wait the greater the relief when you finally have your first dose.

As an aside, I sense some indecision and aprehension in your post. Is the transition wholly your doctors suggestion or are you also keen to switch? If the methadone is working, if it stops you from using illicit narcotics and allows you the freedom to pursue your goals, dont rush yourself because you feel thats what you HAVE to do.  When you're truely ready, you'll move mountains to make sure it happens. Good luck....  

Kind regards Jeremy. Recovered Addict
4 years 1 month drug and alcohol free thanks to ME!
Thanks Jeremy! Trust me I WANT and need to get off the Done. I don't like it, or what a zombie I have been the past 5 yrs. I felt normal on suboxone back when I was on it. I am at 25 mg and my Dr. Told me I have to wait 36 hrs from my last dose before I start on subs. 36 hrs isn't as long as most people wait.....but its also a scary time frame. I have not gone more than 30 hrs w/out my dose in 5 yrs. I know ill be fine I'm just deathly afraid of w/d for no good reason....thanks for ur help ur awesome