Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
methadone affect sperm

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

methadone affect sperm

My partner is on 50mls of methadone a day. We have been trying for a baby for 6 months with no success. could this by due to his methadone? does anyone know what affect methadone has on sperm?
Do a search for this on Google. You will find your answers there.
Can't really answer the question directly. But methadone can have an impact apparently on sperm motility. Not that this means either yes or no to the question of fertility or rule out other causes. Just something to ask a doctor about. From the New England Journal of Medicine (couldn't find the full article):

"Abstract

The function of the secondary sex organs was found to be markedly impaired in 29 participants in a methadone maintenance program. The ejaculate volume and seminal vesicular and prostatic secretions were reduced by over 50 per cent in methadone clients, as compared to 16 heroin addicts and 43 narcotic-free controls. Serum testosterone levels were also approximately 43 per cent lower in methadone clients than in controls or heroin users. Although the sperm count of methadone clients was more than twice the control levels, reflecting a lack of sperm dilution by secondary-sex-organ secretions, the sperm motility of these subjects was markedly lower than normal. On all measures of secondary-sex-organ and testicular function, heroin addicts appeared to fall between the methadone and control subjects, but, with the exception of sperm motility, the deviation from control values did not reach statisitcal significance."
From the fertility aspect 6 months is a relatively short amount of time to try .I know its very frustrating. I went threw it no doctor would even see us until we had tried for 24 months .I ended up needing some help but had my wonderful son .Give it some time .....Let nature take it course I bet it will happen :)