Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
methadone for vicodin withdrawal?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

methadone for vicodin withdrawal?

What would be the procedure to withdraw from vicodin using methdone?  Would'nt a person get addicted to the methadone instead?  Thanks
It is very easy to replace your opiate habits with methadone treament and loose sight of why you started the treatment in the first place.  Methadone treatment is for those who are really serious about getting better.  The trick to methadone treatment is to stay focused and listen to your body.  Are you taking to much?  Do you really need to increase your dose?  If not then your methadone treatment will become a part of your everyday life and then it will become your next habit.  Remember, don't go up to high in dosage and detox soon!  Don't get married to the clinic!  Your dosage will be decreased very slowly so your body has time to make it's own natural opiates again.  This helps you to not feel any withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms and still be able to live a normal life so your world doesn't have to stop and wait for you to get better.
Do yourself a huge favor and go through the vicodin withdrawals trust me if you get yourself strung on methadone you will wish you had. The vicodin could be dealt with in a much shorter time methadone will add a whole new dimension to the word strung out it has pretty much all the way across the board for everyone I have ever known who took it. I don't know how much vicodin you were on but really weigh this before you start down that road seriously you won't like it...a-wakan
I agree with the other posters. Hydro addiction is opiate addiction but not to the extent of a methadone addiction. The worst thing about vicodin,lortab etc. is the tylenol from taking so many pills. I think that using methadone for hydrocodone is like putting out a fire with gasoline. all the best
I have a different perspective from the ones who've responded so far.

I get 90 ten mg's lortab every month. I do have a valid reason for taking them, but like many here, I always run out early. After watching me struggle with withdrawals every month, a friend advised methadone.

I don't go to a clinic as I can get these from a friend who does go to a clinic. I only take it for 3 days max, and I only take one 10mg pill per day. Here is how I do it...

I wait approx. 24 hours after my last hydro. The withdrawals are in full force by then. I think it's important to wait until you are actually in withdrawal. I then take one 10mg methadone. I will wait a full 24 hrs, then take another, and if I need it, a third 24 hrs after the second.

Believe it or not, I have on occasion only needed the first methadone pill. Probably not even 1/4 of the time, but it has happened. You will still have some of the lingering effects of withdrawal, such as the lack of energy. But, you will miss the worst parts of withdrawal.

I would be remiss not to tell you that methadone is apparently very addictive and hard to get off. I don't get that as I get absolutely nothing, as in a high, from methadone. I do get relief from the withdrawals, but that's about it. I've also never had a problem not taking them after I'm through the withdrawals.

Knowing what I know about the terrible aspects of withdrawals, I feel so bad for those that don't know about methadone, are scared to take it, or can't get it. It has been a God-send to me.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Getting off Methadone is the absolute hardest thing I have ever done!  It pushed me to the edge of sanities breaking point.
It is ten times as powerful as the Hydro's....i'll take 5  days of w/d's from hydo cold turkey before I ever put that methadone back in my body!
Just realized the original post was from 1999! LMAO! Guess I should wake up before posting, huh!?

You take all those tylenol-hyro pills and then take methadone when you run out? Are we supposed to think that you have discovered a good thing or feel bad for you that you either can't get enough of the right pain medication or maybe you shold just get off the merry go round .The liver can shut down from all that tylenol, I've seen it happen.
I have just realized I am full on addicted to Vicodin ES and ended up in the E.R. with a panic attack so bad I was actually screaming.  I couldn't believe that was me so they gave me 3mg of Ativan and 2 mg of Morphine for the migraine that started and I was feeling a little better and was able to go home~get this I talked the dr. into giving me a Rx for vicodin for a couple of days.  Well he wrote it for 15 pills and by the next night I was out already.  I went to my neighbor and asked him if he had anything that would help me sleep it was Methadone.  The next day he went and filled a rx for 2mg tablets and gave me 50.  Later that day I had to be checked up for my lupus and the dr. gave me rx for 50 vicodin es...here is my question I think I need to get off of vicodin I can't handle the withdrawls though. Could someone tell me how to start stopping the vicodin and using the methadone to help with withdrawl (withdrawal) and not get addicted to that...HELP PLEASE
"You take all those tylenol-hyro pills and then take methadone when you run out?"

Yes, that's right. I take the three 10 mg methadone to get through the withdrawals.

"Are we supposed to think that you have discovered a good thing or feel bad for you..."

You can think whatever you like. I wasn't asking for advice, I was answering the original post in this thread (be it 8 years too late).

"...maybe you should just get off the merry go round?"

Yes, I probably should get off the merry-go-round.

"The liver can shut down from all that tylenol..."

Yes, I'm sure most hydro addicts are aware of this.

Beach Gal welcome to the forum.....

Your question I can answer I tried it and many others I knew tried many times it is a very slippery slope.....
Look how you cannot taper with your vics you take them like M&Ms why would methodone be any different plus the fact that Methodone is a very addictive drug in its own right...........

inpatient detox is the best way to go they give you subutex for the w/ds and it works great.....
When I first got out of nursing school, we were using methadone cocktails to taper people off of narcotics. They only got liquid medication and the patient never knew how much methadone was in the cocktail and they didn't know when the dose changed.  They had to bring their cocktail to the clinic every three days during their treatment so that it could be measured (they measured the pH to be sure it wasn't watered down)  Now they do it with pill counts. Having to be accountable to someone else is generally the only way an addict can taper.   But again I find myself agreeing with beachtowel - unless someone else is in control of your pills and gives them to you on a schedule, you won't be able to taper - I know, because I cannot and will be in the cold turkey world very soon.  I am chosing that over tapering, don't really know why but with the help I'm finding here I think I can do it this time.  If not, I have an appt in 3 weeks with a Suboxone MD but don't really want to replace one drug with another so....good luck to you.
I take a lot of Vicodin everyday.  I mean a lot.  I have to stop and I plan on the end of August for the quit date.  The pain in my arms and legs with w/d is so horrible that I am considering Methadone treatment.  These posts are scaring me though.  I need to have the edge of w/d taken away or I will never stop.  I don't want to replace the addiction, just cut down on some of the withdrawl (withdrawal).  I got myself into this mess and I do deserve to go through some torture, but I just want to be able to actually do it.
I don't know what the answer is to the Vicodin addiction. My son is 25, the same age my older son was when he hung himself because he couldn't get off of meth six years ago. My son now has been addicted to Vic's for at least 4 years. He's been sufferring so much trying to get off of them. We finally took him to a clinic two days ago and they gave him a small dose of liquid methodone each day. He is a different person. He didn't think it was going to work at first. It took about an hour for the liquid to take affect, but when it did he said his pain, flintching and headache went completely away. For the first time in years he got a good night sleep without taking Vicodins. I thought I was going to lose him. He texted a good friend that he couldn't go on that way anymore. I just pray that they wean him off like their supposed to and this continues to help him. I don't want to lose another son to drugs. He's such a sweet guy. Reading the posts above just broke my heart. I'll keep everyone posted to let you know how it goes. Good Luck to All!!!!

Ray and Jay's Mom,
Linda from Calif.
Thank you for your post.  So glad to hear your son is getting help, but also very sorry for your loss.  I am so glad that you wrote.  It is going to help me with my decision.  I wish the best for your son.  Hopefully is pain is over soon.  Again..thank you
are there any md's that comment here that are experts in this line of discussion? anyone unbiased? I have a question and do not want to hear from the methadone haters or methadone pushers.
i can give you an unbiased opinion... methadone helped me immensely...it gave me enough time to get my head straight enough to get my job back, get my bills caught up, take care of alot of things i had been ignoring,it helped me get back into my life, it helped me with my percocet withdrawals.....BUT it is extremely addictive and extremely hard to get off from it and lasts an extremely long time also delayed withdrawals,    if used the right way at a low dose for a short amount of time it can be used for withdrawals, but i would not recommend going on it any longer than 3-5 days and stick to no more than 10 mgs daily or it can give you a worse problem than you started with...i am talking from experience, i have used it both ways...the shorter the better, the lower the better...i hope this helped some...and i dont think any doctors ever post here that i know of.....
i have been taking 10-12 750 vikes aday for about 4 months ! I know the supply will run out here soon, i am unfamiliar with any of the w/d effects, i think i get a bad headache when i go too long w/o any !!! if anyone reading this knows what the side effects are...PLEASE let me know !! also where do i turn when i am having those w/d's ?? the family dr ? not sure i want them to know. i am afraid they will flag my pharmacy...help please...i am 29 yrs...thanx  ~ruca~
To get off of vicodin do you have to go to a rehab place and stay there or do you go there daily? I really want to get off vicodin but cant take 2-4 weeks off of work. I know it would be worth it. But is there help where you just go daily and you can still go to work? I know I need to get off of it, But how can I pay my bills without working? Is the rehab a place where you go and stay for 2-4 weeks straight? Or is it a place where you go daily and you can still do your everyday things. Theres no way that I can miss 2-4 weeks of work. Im not familiar with rehab.
Is rehab a place where you go and live there for weeks at a time? I really want to kick the habit but Im not in a financial position where I can miss work for that amount of time. Is rehab a place where you can go daily and then leave to do your daily life things. Thats the onlything that Im worried about. Im in no position to be out of work for a 2-4 week period of time.
Hello and Welcome!

You need to post your own question. This is an old thread and will be overlooked. Come back to the addiction forum and post a new question, stating what you did here. PPl can help you with ways to get off the vicodin.

Hope to see you post again.
has anyone every heard of Subtex
yes i have heard of it...i actually take suboxone, what can i TRY to answer for you?
Hi I am 32 and and just started off the dones!!! I was on upto 50MG per day! I was Vicodin and doctor switched me to methadone to help manage my pain.Obviously this has not worked. Doctor has put me back on vicodin. What is weird though is that I am going through methadone withdrawls while taking the vicodin. I am still in pain and going through methadone withdrawls. My head feels like it is going to pop. My head feels like a have been laying upside down on a bed with my head hanging over the side. Can anyone sympathize. How long will the withdrawls last? Someone please answer. Doctor told me yesterday that I should be fine within 1 to 2 weeks. I really don't know what to expect!
You need to start your own post. this one is old. Go to the top of this page and hit "post a question". You will get responses.
i completely disagree about the methadone being worse than being addicted to hdros and illict opiate uses!! yes your right everybody is different and methadone is just as hard if not harder to get off by yourself. i just  got down to 2mgs a day of methadone starting from 90 mgs 8 months ago. if u got o a clinic with counslers and docs and nurses it makes it easier to manage because ur not tapering yoursel ( which we all know is impossible to do b yourself being a addict, all the excuses in the world keep u from tapering correctly, i know , i tried) but the clinics are very successful if do as directed. if ur not serious bout quiting then it wont work. but i was serious and went to the clinic everyday to get my dose and talk to my counsler around 5am so i could still hold down my job and it didnt interfere. and they taper you slow enough to where u dont feel it and if do they slow down on the tapering process. and the counsling helps ALOT, make sure u find a clinic that has that dont go to one that just doses u cuz then u are just trading one addiction for another.
Hello, I have been addicted to vicodin for almost 3 years now, no one knows and id like to keep it that way, I quit yesterday and had the worst time sleeping last night, my body was restless and i felt like every sec i had to keep moving my legs and my back.   I HATE THIS. i just want it to be over with. but...im getting what i deserve. I started bc me and my boyfriend was having a lot of problems and my family and job....and vicodin was the easy release not to care. but i wish i would have never started, its ruined my life pretty much, and it will if i continue to stay on it. I have been reading about methadone for a detox treatment. I am taking A LOT  of vicodin a day so hopefully this methadone will help. I plan to take one 10mg methadone a day, then stop after 3 days and see where that leaves me. I would have to say night time is the worst for WDs, I yawn constantly, and my body just feels horrible. I'm glad I am not alone though, but I am very scared. i hope the methadone works!
Taking small doses of methadone may be a good idea short term for hydro WD.I don't like methadone for hydro replacement or maintenece unless the person has been doing it for years and can't stop any other way. MMT is "harm reduction" and that's not a bad thing but just what methadone maintenece is.
hi   this is a very old post...could you start a new post question...do you know how?   i don t know much about methadone but i quit the opiates without any other drug.  it s hard but can be done.  good luck to you...hang in there...maria
I wouldnt suggest that to anyone...coming off of vicodins would be way easier to come off then methadone. Methadone is very strong, even 10 mg. And it would b very easy to justify to use methadone because ur doctor suggested it. I went to a few doctors and then some dont even know what they are talking about. Get more opinions from doctors. Methadone is a great medication just not for you. good luck
I know exactly how you feel... I too have been on therm for a few years (and my mom, and brother.) They take a lot more then me. I was taking about 6 Vicodin ES (1/2 at a time) with a soma every 2 hrs or so... and no one knew except my mom and brother... not even my husband! I've been on them since before we were together! I am 24 hrs free of these damn pills now... going through the withdrawl (withdrawal) I deserve. I am taking generic Tylenol every 6 hrs since I still have to go to work. Hopefully I can hang in there, this is how I did it before and was off them for about 6 moths. I don't recommend getting hooked on Methadone. I've heard a lot of bad things about it and learned through others that it's not a good choice!
If I take vicodin will it help with methadone withdrawls
HI you posted on a really old post its best to start at the top of this page in the green box marked ask a question you'll get more responses...to answer your question no dont take vicaden for methadone withdrawals it will only make it last longer and + you have the risk of getting hooked on the vic's methadone withdrawal last a wile it took a solid 7 days for most of the physical stuff to subside with some symptoms lingering into 2 weeks then you have to deal with the energy crash that can take a wile to go away...try not to get discouraged early on its going to take a wile to feel better ...you will notice improvements at 30 then 60 and by 90days you start to come around its a grind but it is so so worth it in the end....check into the amino acid protacall on the lower right of the screen they have helped out many it gives your brain what it needs to heal...keep reading the post for tips and tricks to make this a little ezer for you
good luck and God bless  .......Gnarly  
lala i wana hear from u, what ended up happeniing did you get of the vicoden? or did u get right back on them? how was the withdrawl (withdrawal)? get back at me.
What if u you've been addicted to meet in the post like at a clinic for 5 years. And a year later use out for 3 days to get past heron withdrawal. Do I have an increased chance of becoming addicted again?
My immediate answer would be yes. I am a methadone addict, and would never take it for any reason. I might use something else, but methadone is so long acting and so tempting. I would be very careful. You remember coming off methadone I'm sure. It depends on how much H you where using, but I would rather CT heroin than detox of methadone again. If you start your own thread with Post a Question, at the top of the forum, you will get more response. Good luck.
You have the post I've been reading for!! So if you take meth for up to a week in a small dose,it can help get away from Percs,Oxy, Ect.? Do you feel like **** after that week? Mabe some right? I'm an idiot...I started back up after like 5 yrs clean.
Money, this post is from 1999. These members are no longer active. Go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button. Follow the instructions. We can help and support you.