Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
methadone withdrawls

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

methadone withdrawls

has anyone gotten chest pains from wd off of methadone? i have had them for a while now,right side left side i went to the er 2 and 3 months ago for it they did a ekg and bloodwork everything was fine, i would go every other day to the er nothing, anyways i know i need a angieogram but i put it off no insurance, a nd scared. but i do smoke a lot of cigarettes, whicth is next to go after the methadone wd , i dont want to go 2 wd at the same time. so just wondering if anyone had or has chest pains with wd, i have high bloodpressure but its not terrible right now i take my meds for that, thank you.
Hey Ponco.....hear your taper is going well....you are getting down there, huh?
I hope you won't misunderstand this....but from the very beginning...when you first starting posting here on the forum, I remember it being very hard for you not to obsess or stress out about one thing or another over and over in your posts.  You seem to still be having trouble not obsessing on this latest chest pain situation, huh?  But seriously, if the chest pains are concerning you.....why don't you go back to the ER and let them assure you all is well?  The last time they told you it was all good.....but I think you said that was 3 mos ago wasn't it?  Maybe you need the reassurance medically that you are not at risk of a heart attack or stroke, huh?

Guess one of my observations in reading your posts is that you have too much idle time on your hands.
Can't you start developing some new routines BEFORE you are totally off the methadone?  Like some quiet time w/coffee in the morning reading recovery meditations .....a daily walk..... a drive somewhere....how about finding and trying some different meetings?  There are a lot of caring people that love to hang out and visit and drink coffee that you could meet and share this journey with right now.  Have you made any NEW friends that are in recovery yet?  What could you ADD to your day to get your mind off yourself for a bit?

Hobbies?  What interests you?  I'm just thinking if you can start filling up your days with more activities, new goals, etc. then the focus will shift in your mind.  When I can get the focus off of me and onto something or someone else, I ALWAYS feel better.....at least emotionally.  Not always physically right now with me, but at least you wouldn't be dwelling on one symptom after another.

Hope you'll try some new things......and hope you got rid of the pills you were hangin onto "just in case"

Let us know how you're doing~
ive been staying active i been working on my truck alot cleaning house, etc. i hardly think about wd, ive been haveing isues with chest pains, every time i go to the er whicth i was going every other day 3 months ago , they did ekg, blood work and no heart attacks, they cant find out anything i applied for disability, waiting to hear on that, i freak out on the chest pains because 3 months back i had a stress test, they said i need a agiogram, i should have done it while i could have then but i was scared, and still am but it can be life or death, i have to get it done. theres a good chance my arteries are blocking, so chest pains scare the crap out of me. plus i owe the hospital forty thousand dollars but no insurance, im not going to worry about it. john
First, excellent post Connie! Ponco, Isn't there anyway to get some kind of 'network' or State Health insurance?. It doesn't sound like you're working right now which is good if you're coming off the Methadone. You should be able to qualify unless you're sitting on all kind of assets. The thing is when we taper off of Methadone, (and I did), we start to feel all the things - physical and psychological - that we've been masking all these yrs. How's your liver? If the pain is on the right side it might be an issue. I'm assuming they palpated it - (felt it) - in the ER and ran a basic blood and urine panel on you. These are not necessarily good enough indicators when it comes to the liver. Unfortunately, going to the ER over and over isn't a good way to get the medical treatment you need. It's really meant for acute Trauma. You need a good GP who can send you to a specialist if needed. I'm glad to hear your blood pressure is in check. It's important for you to find out what is going on if this pain is bad enough for you to go to the ER. Try not to stress. I wrote you a post a while back about breathing exercises for anxiety/obsessing -- it still applies. Why not give them a try. You can check YouTube, they have all kinds of guided visualizations, Calming sounds, body relaxation, etc. Just find something you like. Glad to hear you're staying busy. All the best to you, Ponco.