Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

methadone

I am currently 5 weeks along a very addicted to opiates. I would be willing to try methadone. I haven't seen a draw. Yet but making appointment soon. Does anyone know if you physician can prescribe them or do you have to go to a methadone clinic. I'm scared and need suggestions. I live in Wisconsin and don't know how to go about this!  PLEASE HELP!
You have only been taking opiates for 5 weeks?
Sorry Granvoila, but not clear on your question.  Are you saying you are 5 wks along, meaning you are PG?
And what opiates are you addicted to?  How much are you taking?
No been on opiates for ten years but yes 5 weeks pregnant
Don't do anything until you see your ob/gyn. Discuss this with him or her, and if you don't feel comfortable with that Dr, find another. But try to get in sooner if you can.
Congrats on the baby.

Whatever the Dr has you do, come here for support!
Please heed that advise from Barb!  The first 10 weeks are critical for development and health of your baby and you definitely DON'T want to do your OWN weaning or doctoring as it can really harm your wee one.

You ob/gyn will know the safest way to address this.  Many women post on here ALL the time and receive a lot of love, support and help.  The biggest mistake I have read are women who are scared so they try to "do it on their own" and make "their own decisions" about w/drawing or quitting.  You can miscarry by doing that....or flirt with developmental issues that don't have to happen.  Please see  you doc and don't be afraid to be honest.....
We'll be here for you......hope you'll come back and let us know how you are doing~  
Very good information from above!!!!! It is very important to see what DR> says considering you are PG. I will just say this that Please I pray you do not go on the methedone...... I have been on oxy/hydros and the w/d were a bit short term compared to the methedone that has a long life which means it stays in the body longer and harder to get it out. Do not know how much you were taking in a day or if you would go up and down. Also did you taper down a bit before you knew you were pg? Your dr. can give you some more info on what to do. I wish you the best and you are wonderful to take that step for you and the baby. You seem like you are a strong and wise person. Keep us posted there are alot of others with methedone experience that would feel somewhat the same.
God Bless You
vvic
Great advice above, keep yourself comfortable, not high, until you see a doctor. DO NOT withdraw for now, your baby can feel the high and the detox. If you have chronic problems with opiates, you may want to ask your doctor about subutex, rather than methadone. That's a personal choice, but methadone gets you more high. Educate yourself and get help, if not for you, for the baby. Opiates do not hurt unborn children, as long as your doctor knows, but detox can. I can't stress how important this is, your babies whole life depends on YOU.