Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
methodone while pregnant

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

methodone while pregnant

i have a 19 yo daughter who is 7 months pregnant and been useing percocets and herion, we told her obgyn who said that if she was to stop useing now n up to her delivery date the baby would not be addicted, however throughresearch i have learned that if she quits cold turkey she could lose the baby, i took her to a methodone clinic and they want to put her on the methodone , she does not want the methodone she feels she can wean herself off with the percocets and she feels that that is safer then going on the methodone because pregnant women are prescibed percocets . she sniffs the herion n the percocets and has to use on a daile basis, we have read the horror stories of methodone n feel it will make her more of an addict n be harder for her to get off drugs altogether, my question is does she quit cold turkey or take the methodone, or try to wean herself off with the percocets?
Take the Methodone - it is safe
In this case two months before birth and you know she is still using the herion then I would take the methadone and no its not safe for her to cold turkey .How many pills is she taking a day ?
this topic stirs up a lot of debate. you may get several varying opinions. if she stops cold turkey she runs the risk of premature labor and delivery, high blood pressure and withdrawal of course. she is an addict. she is snorting two very high level narcotics. she needs help. educate yourself on addiction. it is a disease. often the addict themselves do not know how they got themselves as deep as they are. she is using throughout her pregnancy. that is how addiction works. she will be unable to detox herself.
methadone is safe to use during pregnancy but it has stigmas and is inconvenient. there is another alternative. suboxone. it is highly effective but is not the perfect solution for everyone.
log onto turntohelp.com to educate yourself on the medication and program. encourage her to come clean with her obstetrician. not only does the baby deserve a healthy delivery, it also deserves a healthy mother. the mother deserves to recover as well. if you have any questions you may message me.
I understand it's a big step to go on methadone but it's much better then on dope. I'm sorry I don't understand why she's so worried about safety but she's ok with snorting that crap while pregnant.. She needs to take the methadone to avoid withdraw and I understand this is hard but it's safer that way.