Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
mixing klonopin and methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

mixing klonopin and methadone

I'm wondering what the effects would be (if harmful) if one is taking Methadone and Klonopin at the same time?  Please answer soon.  Thank you for  your time.
I have no idea. Did your doc prescribe them both? He wouldn't have if he though there was any danger. If he didn't, I'd either ask him, or a pharmacist.
My friend has been on clonipins for 10 yrs and was going to a methadone clinic about 3 yrs ago and both we're legal and her Dr. knew so I'm not 100% sure if it's ok, but I do know she was taking both by presciption...You could also try contacting a pharmacy and they may know or call poison control and ask them they may only tell you if you've already taken it.
methadone and clonazepam (Moderate Drug-Drug)

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.
mixing methadone with klonopin is very dangerous, It makes the effects of the opiate in methadone much much stronger and causes enhaced CNS depression and can cause respiratory arrest causing death.
Source?  Are you suggesting there is a high?  Or is it simply possible that the CNS effects of methadone and klonopin are additive?
there IS a high involved with mixing the 2...it is also very dangerous...i just lost a friend to this, he died in his sleep because he stopped breathing...extremely dangerous mix...and they are both very addictive also...
dont ever do this....some may get away with it a few times...but not a good idea. we have had FOUR deaths in my town in the last 3 weeks. ALL died using methadone and some type of xanax or klonipin (klonopin)  combination. the last death was a 22 yr old boy, we buried him 2 days ago. he took 4 dones and one klonipin (klonopin). he was a kind, handsome young man with a loving family and a beautiful girlfriend. she took the same cuncoction that he took, but she woke up and he did not.
I have been taking 40 mg. of methadone for about 3 years now and the Dr. gave me klonipin (klonopin) 2 mgs. a day and I have been on that for about 6 months. I have always heard this was a dangerous mix do you think I am in danger since I have been mixing them for 6 months. I want off methadone. I was given it for chronic pain and from what I have learned about this drug it is from the Devil himself.
I dont know....all i know is that i have been to 3 funerals. Does the dr know about the methadone use? Trust the dr, i guess.....I just know that it scares me to death and I will NEVER encourage anyone to mix the 2. You be very careful. I was told by someone that every time you mix the 2, you are playing russian roulette. again...I am not a dr, so I guess u should listen to him/her. they know more than me,lol.
the 2nd funeral i went to was a friend that was 44 yrs old and mixed the 2 everyday for years and then he didnt wake up one morning about 2 weeks ago....BE CAREFUL!!!!
I have been taking done for about a month, and I also get 1 mg klonopins, and usually take 1..11/2 a night to sleep better. I have yet to mix the 2. The methodone is taken in the morning, around 8am, with no more throughout the day..then i plan on taking 1mg of klonopin around 10-10:30pm...Do you forsee any harm in that?
Methadone and klonipin (klonopin) can be very dangerous together....very.  Dr.'s are not properly educated on methadone.  
I hope you will begin tapering off the methadone soon because that is the most misrepresented drug in the world.
Post a new question and start your own thread, you might get more response that way.
My fiance and I are day #7 off methadone and so thankful.  We are finally experiencing emotions we had forgot.
I HAVE BEEN ON 130MGS OF METHDONDE LIQUID AND DISKETS FOR OVER A YEAR NOW. I ALSO TAKE 2MG XANAX AND 3MG KOLONPINS. IM AN EX FLATLINE ADDICT, WHICH MEANS I LOVE TO GET AS HIGH OFF SHOOTINH HEROIN TILL I ALMOSR HIT DEATH. GET REAL OF COURSE MIXING TWO CNS DRUGS IS DANGEROUS. I MORE ADDICTED TO METHADONE THAN HEROIN.. HOW BOUT THAT
check this out im not bragging but this is what im Rx.d daily.... I live in cali and had a three gram a day habit. I WAS a loser. Im starting to slip into some very serious side effects off the methadone, I havent eaten in 5 days, my mood is completley changed. My girlfriend would rather not even take me to a clinic, im itchy, im shallow breathing.
I just wanted to reach out, see my apt isnt till mon and ive got 20 mgs to last me til then, im addicted to methadone. it is a killer. I had to take  10 kolonopin and a two mg xanax to get to work, i know I need help I just want my cake and eat it too.
I want to know more about suboxone..... PLEASE HELP... neonbats@yahoo
Yeah taiaction, that's great, you should be proud!  I was a methadonian who took benzos and blacked out a lot in public, was arrested for disorderly conduct and woke up in ER's  which was very unpleasant, all from benzos and done. I suspect the person who started this thread is not writing for a friend but may have aspirations to get really loaded. all the best
I saw your second post and that you are trying to get off the done. When you are hooked on done, benzos by  themselves don't help much. You may want to try the sub but you still have to come off of that but there are ways to kick the done. I've done it, more than once and so can you.
I left the laptop open for a cry for help. I have been on liquid. If anyone is out there is 130mg too much for a 25 yr old woman? My doctor is really sketchy. My appt isnt till Mon and I havent any to last me through tomorrow.
I thought If I got off the Methadone and used the Kolonopin for just the stress that would work. I found myself in ER and the doctors telling me I almost didnt make it.
Alot of doctors Rx this for PAIN why? This Rx is a killer.
AND IS VERY DANGEROUS TO MIX METHADONE AND BENZOS.
I may only be 25 but I have been addicted to heroin since my 16th b-day. Thats ten years too long.  I guess what Im getting at is, I love my life alittle too much now, and my fiance and the life we are trying to make but **** it's hard.
I DONT RECOMEND METHADONE to anyone!
Still looking for help. Thank you, Tai
Tai I wish I could help you but the only advice that I can offer is to start a NEW post with your questions and you will get a better response. People here are very helpful and non judgemental please don't be scared they will not bite.
I don't quite get the full story. Are you on a clinic now and want to get off? I don't recomend methadone myself except for shorter periods for hard core addicts. all the best
If you feel your doctor is sketchy, I would find another one. You should be comfortable with your doctor. If not, maybe time to find a new one. Just a thought. I don't have any knowledge of methadone. I wish you the best of luck! And like alldonewithperks said, start a new post. That way it is dedicated to you. You will get so much feedback!
brian
Methadone and Benzos are a dangerous mix, prescribed or not...the amount of times i mixed both to achieve a good high was nothing but taking a HUGE chance at just dropping dead...i KNOW they can be and are prescribed together often and as to why is beyond me..add an antidepressant or any OTC cough medicine to that and your CNS is about non-existant...i have also watched over friends (in the past of course) through the night after they mixed the 2 drugs, just hoping they would make it through the night, waking them up almost every 30 minutes or so, listening to the way they were breathing or NOT breathing, the gurgeling sounds and gasping for air, are as scary as it gets!...i now know there were numerous times i should have just called 911, but my mind was clouded and judgement had gone out the window at this time of my life, there are some EXTREMELY lucky people out there, including myself.
i dont recommend taking the 2 together, prescribed or not. doctors are far too liberal with their thinking when it comes to either medication, let alone BOTH prescribed together.

TaiAction -there are a lot of different options you can choose from, although i dont recommend cold turkey off your dose AT ALL.  i would have to recommend a slow taper...very slow over a long period of time.  there are a few wonderful ladies that have accomplished this, (Feohmoon and penelope) or are near the end of their taper. is you are interested in suboxone and you do want to consider this as an option, you still have to taper down hun...in order to even start suboxone, you have to have your dose down to 20-30 mgs of methadone a day for at least 2-3 weeks...so tapering is the first step regardless of whichever route you to take in the end.
if you are interested in more information about suboxone, let me know. i can help with providing you with information.
Wow the response has been very welcoming, I feel I just needed a support group of some sort. I went to my Doctor yesterday where he Rx.d me 5 days over for some strange reason. Im on liquid 130mgs a day? Im wondering is that a high ammount for a 25 yr old woman/ Im now titrating. My girlfriend made it to the clinic but when I saw her later that night said she didnt want to discuss methadone with her anymore. I also take 2mg xanax and have now dropped the kolonopin all together. I havent taken a xanax since the day I went to work. I really really am glad there is some support out there. I no longer have the desire to want to be on Methadone but do want more info on Suboxone.
I know that I did get high last night off of it by taking my normal dose and missing the day before which I didnt like the feeling. My girlfriend thought I was high or drunk. I hated that she didnt believe me. I didt spend the last three days very sick and i know I cant quit cold turkey. But Im going to be dropping 5mgs a day till I hit 50mgs then to the suboxone so says my doctor. Thats sll the update for now. ANY feed back is amazing to me.
I have an email im giving out also its ***@****. I will check it later this week, Please prayers and comments are very much needed. I also have a dear freidn of 13 years who popped into my life this morning asking for help, she is a flatline heorin addict also so if any prayers for her as well. Thank you and God bless everyone of you.....
My question is may i have some of the side effects of Methadone? My heroin habit was 3 grams a day for 9 years and now im Rx.d 130mgs, should I still be on methadone and is this too high of a dose of a 25year old woman that weighs 125? Im Rx.d the xanax cr 2mg with 130mgs of liquid methadone? IS THIS A NORMAL THING. I went to the hospital 2 days ago due to not having methadone so im not doing it cold turkey. MAY I HAVE INFO ON SUBOXONE? Is it a better choice? I feel that ive been on it too long and I want my life back and my fiance back......
Thats all till later tonight I hope to hear some response I will be checking in.....
taiaction, that is a pretty high dose to my thinking.  i quit 40 mgs methadone and it was horrible.  my taper was too fast, and i'm afraid that by dropping 5 mgs a day, yours is pretty fast too.  is this the schedule set up by your dr? or is it your own schedule?
I think it is a high dose... i was only on 20-30 mgs a day...its a very high dose inmmy eyes..but alot of that may have to do with the severuty of your addiction to heroin and making sure you are well enough to have no desire to go back there, which often mean being over medicated...how do you feel?  do you feel over medicated?  aree you in a constant nod..or are you fine with the dose?  i may think its high, but if your tolerance is up there then it may be the right dose...but i would definatly work on getting your dose down...5 mgs per day is too much too fast...you will get pretty sick by the weeks end.  i would say 5 mgs every 2 weeks... methadone has an extremely long half life, so if you drop 1/2 your dose at once, it could be up to 5 days before you feel the effects from it, it really sticks to those receptors in your brain like super glue...but no need to do that... no need to go to fast and suffer, you have time right?  
i have a lot of suboxone information in my profile or i can send it to you in a private message, whichever you prefer, just let me know.
but you stated that your doctor said reduce your methadone to 50 mgs, then go to suboxone...NO WAY!   you HAVE to be down to 20-30 mgs...or you will get severely sick hun...50 mgs is still too high of a dose to start sub, your doctor is wrong on this one...please trust me on this...even at 20-30 mgs the induction to sub can be hard.
also hun, you cant post your e-mail on the forum, if you put it in your profile that is fine, but as of now we cant see it because it is not allowed on the forum.
i highly recommend suboxone treatment to get off methadone...unless you really dedicated and have the time, then you could try the slow taper, i only say this because you have to taper to begin with and tou may find that you do well with it and just keep on going down to nothing...?
the reason you have to get down to 20-30 mgs of methadone before you can start sub is because of something called "precipitated withdrawals", and even though i was at the right dose and waited 5 days between my last dose of methadone and my first dose of sub...i still was sent into immediate precipitated withdrawals, it was awful and i dont recommend it to anyone...well maybe just 1 person...LOL!  
send me a private message and i will send you some info on suboxone...
good luck with your decision...
You must t be in another country. It doesn't sound like a regular methadone clinic, which may be good. That's a lot of drugs you are on. You don't know how doped up you appear on the done until enough people tell you. Add xanax to it and you are really sedated looking even if you don't feel like you are. Do you really get off the done and get clean? all the best
This is like a omen that i stumbled on to this site.I was a hard core drug user for years and then joined a meth clinic  DUMB I started at 30 which they said was a starter dose and soon found myslf at 120. After a few years[3 or 4] I began my detox REAL ,REAL slow. At 30 [which I began at....scam for money] the Dr. at the clinic gave me what I think I remember to be clonopin or clonodin to help fight my anxiety from the mental part and to help with sleep and blood pressure changes due to withdrawl (withdrawal)....then i got booted off with a GOODLUCK. It has been 12 years now....I have been buying black market and am embarresed but proud that i have FINALLY lowered myself to a stable 5mg.....isnt that retarded?? Very hard to detox and stay away from street drugs!After 12 years I figure I must have such a build up that I am petrified to let go of those last 5mgs.  Sleep is getting harder so i just got 0.5 clonipin.......wish me luck!  Boys and girls do not allow yourself to stay on any detox program for more than a few months or you can get stuck into a 12 year hell
Dropping that fast will only cause you to relapse because of feeling ******.You have to stay well enough to want to get up everyday and live and work! Do not tempt the devil[king heron]  I will pray for you..please send me out a prayer too...I am at the hardest crossroad.life change ever   peace...
GOOD EVENING, Im really sorry for stating 5mgs a day. My doctor said 5mgs every 3 weeks. Im fine off of 130mg. How I take it is 40 breakfast 40 lunch 40 dinner 10 at bed time. Im a very active person. Now I have noticed ALOT of differernt things. In pictures my eyes are half open. I look strung out. I have nightmares I would'nt wish on anyone.
The woman I want to spend the rest of my life with wants to stear clear from me affraid im going tonod or make her look foolish. This is all recent. I have multi contusions.
I mean literally the list goes on and on. I have done the whole thing though. Since I was 13 I was taking my great grandmothers morphine. I mean my opiate addiction started very early in life once my great grandmother died I died and started shooting. I really feel comfort in this page. I want to know how do I make a profile. I just think im ready to get off the methadone and get my life back. Not continue to put school off and work a min wage job. Im so glad to hear more response... Thank you, every one of you!
Yes, one more question. I started Methadone mantience March 28th 2007. I was strated at 40mgs. Before I went to the appointment I shot up once to get out of bed, once to get into the car, and once in the bathroom at the doctors office. Again waiting for the methadone to fill. I tried several days after being on methadone to shoot heroin. My daily at that time was 3 grams a day along with 100mgs of the morphine inside the patches. So as I started the methadone I wasnt getting high anymore. So I then just quit shooting, THANK GOD! But, I was noticing signs now looking back of those of an overdose of methadone. I strongly feel I have been over dosed with the methadone now all along. Some days I would sleep till 3 or 4pm w/ no job rent dvds and smoke 2 packs a day. I wouldnt have noticed the nightmares then due to being over dosed. NOW.....Loss of appietite, loss of sexual interest. like I said the list goes on.
The question is, why is it impotant to get to that level of 30-40 mgs before starting sub?
What is Suboxone? Will I be safer on it? Would I be able to use xanax cr 2mg also?
Thank you again, you all rock!
it is important to have your methadone dose that low so there is (in a sense) enough room for the suboxone to enter your receptor to work...if your receptors are full to the max with methadone, and then you take suboxone it will rip that methadone out of your receptors immediately causing severe precipitated withdrawals...it will leave your receptors empty because (in a sense) the sub and meth will be fighting each other off and your receptors will be empty, kind of like going cold turkey in a matter of minutes...its a rough transition this way, 20 -30 mg dose makes it possible for the induction to sub to go smoother. i dont even think a doctor will accept you into the program unless your dose is down to that point of 20-30 mgs....

to set up your profile, go to the top of the screen and click on MY MEDHELP, this will bring you to your profile to set up...

and YES! YES! YES!  you will be safer on it...there have been no deaths related to suboxone itself...same med in different forms have caused death when mixed with a benzo or sedative, but in all cases the med was being abused and misused.
the xanax is dependent on your doctor, some allow it, some dont...but it is much safer than methadone for so many reasons...
keep in mind sub is still an opiate and you can become dependent on it, but when tapered at an extremely slow rate over an extended period of time withdrawals are mild, when done properly.
We can see from this post and others that when someone starts methadone, it all sounds sensible enough. But the way it is these days, you start on 30 and before you know it you are getting 100 plus mg. these days you can get as much as you want and way more than you need. This makes people more hooked and in many cases "hooked for life". You say you want to get of done and try sub. it may work but it sounds complicated and contriversial as to when to make the switch. I've heard of people getting sick and having a real tough time and going back to dope or done. There are other ways to get off methadone which don't involve sub or narcotic type drugs. The problem is most docs won't do it but it worked for me, the clonidine patch and pills with valium and some other meds. "Methadone, there's no future in it".
I do feel that Im addicted to methadone! Case closed. Im affraid of methadone also. I have had so many close calls off methadone its not even funny. I do want to get off only due to my fear of death....
You are technically addicted to methadone. I don't know why there seems to be such fear of methadone but I can tell you that I'm also on 122 mls but I'm a fast metabolizer of narcotics and so they split the 122 in half to 62 mls in the morning and 60 in the evening. and I also get methadone on carries. I get methadone for the whole week and I take it strictly as directed and have never had any problems with it. EVER. The only issue with the methadone for me is the tooth decay. I have to go to the dentist a lot to make sure my teeth are OK.

However, other than that I'm fine. I used to be on 195mls and I tapered last year down to my current dose. If you taper slowly and follow your body's signals then you should be able to come off methadone. I know MANY people who've successfully come off methadone and who tell me that it saved their lives. It all depends on how the drug is used really and how well your doctor knows the drug and knows you. My doctor is an EXPERT on methadone maintenance so I'm lucky in that respect.

I don't feel that your dose is too high. Why is it that you feel it's too high? Does it work? Does it take away the cravings and the withdrawal symptoms? Does it allow you to be productive in life?  

If you want it lower then slowly taper it. That's all you have to do really. I know for me that I come down by between 3-5 mls at a time and I feel a bit off for about 5 days and then I'm fine. I taper every 4 weeks and sometimes 6 weeks. I've yet to have a hard time with it. Just go slow.

Another question: Why are you taking your methadone in so many doses? Are you also a fast metabolizer of narcotics?

It's going to be ok. Just take a deep breath. Your issue really is easy to resolve. Taper VERY slowly and talk to your doctor. If you don't like your doctor and want one with more expertise then if you can switch then do so.  Feel free to PM me as well.

Blessings

Methadone may help keep people alive but it's not a regular life. It's a sedated life and although methadonians will insist they are not sedated on 100 plus mg. , they sure look and act that sedated. How do I know?, I was one for years. Methadone is viewed by docs as harm redution therapy or the lessor of 2 evels. It should be used as a therapy of last resort for only the most hard core cases of heroin, morphine or oxy addiction not for 18-19 year olds or vicodin addicts. I hate to see people hooked for life on done when they could have tried something else.."Methadone, there's no future in it" all the best
I work, have a full life and a very happy life. I don't feel 'sedated' at all. You don't know me nor should you make such generalizations about people on methadone. It has helped many people overcome their addictions. Yes, it is a harm reduction strategy but looking at it as the lesser of two evils is not the POV of the methadone professionals that I know. Not even close.

I've noticed that in the US that people on methadone are still stigmatized because in many people's minds they're still the dreaded addict. How sad when they are working so hard to help themselves.

I'm not commenting on hypothetical cases of teenage addiction to percoset.

Methadone allows people who take it properly to have a full and complete life, if they want it and I'm living proof.
You may be one of the few who acually function on methadone. The clinics are full of stoned zoombies that spend their days stealing and getting other drugs. Only a small % of people on clinics function on a level that they aren't sedated and most methadonians either smoke pot, take benzos, drink or do something else. I'm not saying it hasn't improved your life but it sure is being overused and over prescribed these days. People go to a clinic for vicodin and end up hooked on 140 mg, of done daily. I spent 25 years on clinics with Ali Babba and the 40 thieves who I was one of. I didn't think I looked loaded but I did. Methadone should only be used as a treatment of LAST RESORT.! all the best
I have been on done going on 3 yrs now. At first it really turned my life around, but after awhile I noticed my clinic was just a pumping station for addicts. I started at 30mgs, and 10 months later I was up to 200mgs, Sleeping all day couldn't hold a job. I have been able to reduce my dose to 100mgs but I still feel the same depression sleeping all day no motivation, major weight gain. I wish I would have stayed on just long enough to get the H and oxycontin craving out of my mind set. As to mixing methadone and benzo I am definately guilty but I have been doing that een when I was not on methadone but oxys and H of course I tended to nod out at very inappropriate moments. In any case it is always dangerous to mix two cns depressants anyone who knows anything could tell you that. One last thing get off the methadone asap otherwise you will become a slave to it. And I can't think of a worse thing then that.
About 3 years ago I was really bad on oc's. Doing about 160+ a day. I never shot up but I was sniffing them. Anyways, I decided to put myself on methadone which I got off the street because I found a real good connection for them. Well I have always been told no withdrawals from them so I started eating them like candy and I got up to taking 8 tens a day. When I would run out I would always get hot flashes and I could not function and I was wondering what was going on. So around Dec 2006 I had a break from school so I decided I was going to take myself off of methadome. It was the hardest experience I have ever done. I remember staring at the ceiling for like 2 weeks because I had insomnia so bad and no kind of sleeping meds including xanax would help me sleep. I layed in the bed for almost 3 weeks straight. I remember having to force food down my throat just to have some kind of energy. I was so weak I could not dry myself off when I got out of the shower. I was sweating so bad I was taking a estimated 13 showers a day. I couldnt talk right it seem like every word that would come out of my mouth made no sense at all. I had a 103+ temperature. But, I kept praying and I kept telling myself that I was not going to take anymore because I made it so far. Well after 3 weeks of hell I finally could spend quality time with my rents and I detox myself just in time to enjoy Christmas with all my family and I felt like my life had just begun. But, every since that one experience I have been sober from methadone for almost 3 years now... and to be honest I have been through oxycontin withdrawals too and if I had to choose one I would much rather go through oxy than methadone withdrawals anyday. Oxycontin withdrawals usually take about 5 days but methadone was like 3 weeks and I finally felt like a human being after a month and a half. But, now I have really bad chronic insomnia from that drug so im prescribe to 60 klonopins 2mg a month. I only take maybe one mg a day and I feel like I can take on this world now and I will never go back to methadone..... I do not recommend that drug to anyone... Its the devil for real.....
I wouldnt be mixing i was on valium till i came here and i feel so much better without them its been two weeks, now i feel i have one less issue, the benzo/methadone route is a road to hell,

Tai I am on the same road, little jumpy lack of sleep but nothing to bad as yet, i will level out on this for 1month do it slow thats the key we cant function without sleep, im shocked that a little reduction can do that already but i am down the low end of the spectrum
People vary greatly in their metabolism of methadone (sometimes more than 10-fold), so it is impossible to have a "one size fits all" approach. There are people who are on 2000 mg a day of methadone, and do nicely, and others who can't function on 30 mg a day. The variability is related to genetic enzymatic differences between individuals.I am on 150 mg a day, and usually can't even tell that I have taken anything, other than a slightly de-stressed feeling.No one has ever accused or implied that I acted "high," and that is to be expected, because I don't get high from it in any way.While it is true that many people scam the system, and remain poly-drug abusers, the ones benefiting from methadone should not be sacrificed on the alter of the failures.By the way, there is NO scientific evidence that methadone causes any more tooth decay than any other drug that dries the mouth out (drink a lot of liquid).The only way I would recommend benzos and methadone together is if your doctor is your dose- master.By FAR, most deaths of this type occur outside the involvement of a physician. Doctors are so scared of lawsuits, they usually are very careful not to kill the patient. If you do it on your own initiative BEWARE!
i am about to start methadone.  i have to do it or i'll be in worse shape.

here's my question though.  i am on 2mg klonopin a day.  when do i stop the klonopin?  do i have to withdraw off it before i take methadone?  kicking the klonopin scares me more than kicking the opiates.

also, someone mentioned they smoke pot.  don't the methadone clinics test for this?  what do they do to you if you smoke pot?  throw you out?  i don't have any answers because i have not done an intake.  the klonopin are prescribed.  will the methadone clinic make me come off them?

thanks!!!
this is an old thread..cut and paste this to a new question .It says post question at the top..You will get many more responses..What were you taking to have to be on methadone..trust me it isn't a good idea to go on that drug...
im 23yrs old and i was addicted to heroin and oxycontins for 7 years. i tried detoxing cold turkey at rehabs and it never failed everytime i got out i would go right back to using again.I found out about a methadone clinic and i have now been on it for 2 yrs. with no other drug use.I would probably be on the streets with out a family or even worse dead if it wasnt for the methadone.i get random uas so they know if someone is using or not and if they are they give them the help they need to get over that hump.I owe my life to methadone and yes i do take 0.05mg of klonopin for my anxiety.i feel for the people who have od were not ready to stop using or they were just abusing the drug to get high.so dont knock something that is saving 100 of thousands of people.maybe you should look deeper and come to terms that those people who have unfortunately lost there lives had a deeper problem and abusing these medications was an easy way out. i apologize if i have hurt anyone. but you cant try and take it away from everyone its hepling just bevause people missed used it.
I am very glad that you have stopped all other drug use..that is great. However, remember one thing. You are on a very powerful drug..more powerful than heroin or oxys..I have talked to 100's of people on heroin through my time at the methadone clinic and every one of them will tell you that they rather go cold turkey off heroin 4 times over methadone once..I agree that there is a small place for methadone treatment. You are still a slave to this drug. I hope you have addressed the reasons why you used heroin and oxys..thats the key..of course methadone helps because it's keeping you from w/d..thats all..you may in the future have to have surgery or something ..what kind of pain releif do you think is going to help? Nothing stronger than methadone..Like I said I am glad it has helped you too..but there are far more people that are suffering because of it..
im 23 years old and ive been on 200mg of methadone for a year.  the only way ive noticed i can get high is if i mix klonopin with it.  but no more will i do that.  i watched my friend overdose on this combination and if i hadnt been there to give him c.p.r. he would be dead right now. so please dont **** around with that ****, and if you are on methadone get off it as soon as you can.
I love the nick, twas by far the most delectable opioid I have ever tried.  I really have to stop thinking this way. :P

Oh, and good advice, mixing CNS depressants can be dangerous, fatally so.
I have been prescribed 10-20mg/day Methadone for Neropathic chronic pain (I have had a couple back surgeries), I have been on 2-4mg of Clonazepam a day for 4 years as well as methocarbonol and valproic acid and intermittent Lithium.

I am not sure where this is going, but from reading these posts, I'm not sure I like it.
My husband,is a addict,we have been married now 2yrs,He is taken klonopin&Methadone,All he does is sleep all the time.No job, Can't even help around the house. I his wife have tried to help him to get through this,all we do because of this is argue,I'am giving up on it.this is my 2 marriage & his 1st. I have three older sons & him a 10 yr.old. I also take care of his son,and his mom,she lives below us. he doesn't understand how much i care for him. If there is anyone out there,please pray for us.              
i used to be on methadone for 11/2 years, living in california.  I had to come home back to the east coast and had set up "guest dosing" at the closest clinic, however they denied me. I was on 120mgs. of meth and went cold turkey.....WORST EVER!!! I would take H detox 4 times over. well 23 days of pure hell went by and i was introduced to suboxone from my old boyfriend who knew i was in trouble. That day he gave me one 8mg pill, and a 1mg. Klonopin and i actually got out of bed and all the hell was over. I have a doctor know who prescribes me 2 of the 8's a day, along with 2mgs. of klonopin a day.  Believe me, i have my days where i want to be back on methadone, because like most, it became my choice drug, but it is a love/hate relationship. I recommend Suboxone to any one of you out there. This is coming from a die hard herion/oxy user for many years.  And about mixing meth and benzo's.....it's a recipe for disaster, that's why most clinics have a zero tolerance policy for it. I have found myself taking way more benzo's than i should be, but i have a job, and the detox from that *****..... like someone said, drugs only block the pain for a short time before causing much more pain in the end....... Anyone have any bad things about suboxone and benzo's??? I could use some help there......
Yeah I was thinking about mixing the 2 before and like a smart person I research before I take anything. From what I see is it very dangerous, but I am not a DR. or a PHARMACIST. I had bought methadone off a friend to get high since I could not get oxycontin, as a result taking the methadone made me worse! The withdraw effects rapidly took place after I stopped using it, sweats, body aches nausea, like the flu almost. This happened after only taking it for a few days too! The way I came off it is I had to buy more of it, so I took 10mg for a coouple days, then went to 5mg .. 2mg .. etc .. until I no longer needed it and I was fine. Yes be very careful of this drug it is worse than oxycontin and heroin itself in my opinion.
About mixing methadone and klonopins.....well here is my story...... i was on meth, and buying klonopin 2mgs.... well one day , actually night i took like 8 or 10mgs. of them. The next day on my way to the meth clinic i was fine. After i took my 85mgs (at the time) dose, well no later than 10 minutes went buy and i knew i was about to black out. I had to drive 20 minutes to the clinic. so i stopped at a friends in the area to do some coke to wake me up....yeah...i know.... well i though i was fine, but ended up in the hospital when i reached my home town and don't remember how i had gotten so far. i was on a down hill road, and luckily my car went to the left into a guard rail instead of the house in front of me!!!!! I'm luck to be alive, like most of us addicts, and i'm lucky there was no one else involved in that accident. Totaled me car of course....But the moral of the story is be f-ing careful. Don't mix that stuff. Easier said than done.....I KNOW!!!!!
SORRY AND SIMPLE IT CAN AND WILL KILL YOU. I HAVE HAD THREE FRIENDS THAT GO TO METHADONE CLINIC AND THEY WERE TAKING KOPLIN, XANAX, OR VALIUM AND ALL 3 O/D WITHIN 2 YRS SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL
I'm detoxing off methodone as we speak! I've been going down approx. 5mg. per week. It's not as bad as everyone says if you stay positive! My advice is to pray pray pray! You may feel a bit tired, or cranky, and since I've mixed Klonopin for anxiety I've been VERY depressed! I assume theres a coorelation! I need to cool it on the Klonopin, and detox off the done and stay clean! I'm down to 15mg. So I'll keep you ( Tai Action) in my prayers ( & ur friend) . Please do the same for me! God bless you all!
My 2 cents  i figure. Personally & i definitly don't recomend anyone do this if you want to live, but ive been doing xanax about 5 years. on and off my high tmes are about 5 bars a day low times 1 mg a day. But during high times u can imagine the tolerance. Im on 135mg of liquid Meth a day. I can safely take 30 mg of xanax , thats right 30mg. 30 blue footballs right after my dose and be fine. I attribute this to my toleranse for benzos. My  point being 20mg of dones and a xanax can kill one person and i walk away from that. All relative.
i am on between forty and sixty of meth and i can take up to 20 mg of kloopns at one time and still dont feel it even if i have not taken klonopins in weeks i can put 20 1 mg in me and not feel a thing i dont know if my recepters are messed up or what i know i take a chance but i have always tempted death i feel that i can take any dose and not feel it but i wont i dont want to get addicted to klonopin i have enough trouples with meth...
I am on a 30 mg of methadone and 5  mg of kolonopin and am fine. I don't nod and function normal. I am actually being detoxed off the methadone at my own speed. Because I pay! Methadone is fine if your usiing it the way you should be. I had a dope habit for 10 years and have been on and off methadone for just as long. This time I want to be done with it all. I have serious anxiety attacks and need the klonopin to function in front  of people normally. 130 mg o fmmethadone is just a legal way to get high!
VERY DANDEROUS!!!!

My husband died from dr. prescribed methadone & benzo's.
I don't know why this old post was dregged up but I'll say it again. Benzos and methadone put me in many er's and even jail once and are a bad combo where 1 + 1=3. Another thing for chronic anxiety is that benzos don't really help chronic anxiety if taken daily then can create more anxiety from benzo rebound especially from xanax. Benzos and methadone are a major problem in all methadone clinics where you can usually buy pills right around the corner from the clinic in major cities.
Sky, when I went in for pain mgmt the dr initially gave me methadone. I took it back the nxt day. I am clinically depressed and methadone made me wanna drive off a cliff. He took me off that and put me on 30mg roxycodone twice a day. I've been taking klonipin (klonopin) for years for panic disorder and chronic panic attacks. Fortunately, I'm not addicted to them, idk why but I'm glad. I can take it or leave it unless I'm in full panic attack or having insomnia. That being said, I just read that in australia, 74% of methadone-related deaths were in ppl that were using some for of benzodiazapene. Hope this info is helpful. I know that if I take a methadone I won't b using klonipin (klonopin) for a few days after one dose or a wk or 2 if I use it for a few days. Gl.
eating 8 10mg vicodin aday and kilodapan2mg was thinking about usin amethadone clinic for a few weeks and then saboxn what do you think?
bad idea! Using methadone or even sub for vicodin is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. The only situation where it may be a harm reduction method for you would be if you have been taking them for years and have tried a few dotexs before and have failed, or if you have a bad liver and can't stop because of the tylenol. all the best
hey yeah i was on 180mg of methadone before and was takin like 6-8mg of xanax daily and i was fine. but i had a high tolerance to the mdone so maybe thats why i didnt die. anyways i kicked 180 cold turkey cuz i was runnin from a warrant and couldnt go to the clinic. anyways that was 3 years ago. i just started back at the clinic last month and now im on 80mg daily which is a decent dose for now. anyways i take clonopins with my dose everynow and then .. usually between 1-6 mg depending on how i feel that day or how many Kpins i can get. it is dangerous tho cuz i know it slows the **** outta ur breathing. i just make sure when i mix benzos with my methadone its during the early part of the day so that i dont go to sleep .. i think if i were to take my 80mg at night and then take a few mg of Kpins i could easily die in my sleep.
You are dancing with the devil here......are the benzos prescribed to you?  Any plans to get off all of this?
i been on xanax and methadone 5 yrs everyday..am copd and sevre sleep apnea..im on low dose of both..and i never had a problem..even went to the er 5 times from the anxtys of taking it..they said as long as i been on these..its ok...so what can a person do..if your taking methadone and you hooked on both meds hmmm  you have to take them..so its dam if you do and DAM if you dont...

word fro the wise benzos are a cns med that enhances methadone or any narcotic..it may reduce the breathing..

im no docter just a medical advocate...please dont take my advice...

say ur on 60 mgs of methadone then you never taking klonopin before THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS... but i wason klonopin before adding the methadone..then my pain doc talked to my gpdoc and wanted to go to a short acting benzo witch is xanax..i like klonpin better...

so yes if yoiu abuse both you can overdose....lets say your on both at 20 mgs of methadone,,and 2 mgs aday total...then you stop it longer than 2 weeks or more ..then you start taking them together can be fatel..but like say 10 mgs of methadone is what im on .and 2.5 mgs of xanax aday in 0.5 mgs 5aday sometimes alot less..most people can take this at the doses...rember im not your dockter nor am i a dockter dont go by what anyone says but your dockters only,,dont take someone else's meds or share yours..

the methadone and benzos DO ADD TO EACH OTHER  AND THERE'S A CHANCE OF REPERTORY DISTRESS..PEOPLE THAT ABUSE ANY MEDS PAY THE PRICE.. MY BROTHER IN 1997 PASSED AWAY FROM ACCIDENTAL OVERDOSE..HE WAS ON HEROIN AND BENZS AND BEER..BUT HE TOOK LOTS OF THEM LIKE10 MGS AT A TIME THEN SHOT THE DOPE...

MY YOUNGER BROTHER IS STILL O THE COMBO,BUT ONLY ON HEROIN..HE GETS THE XANAX WHEN HE CAN...

I WAS IN THE  ER 3 WEEKS AGO..I HAVE AGORAPHOBIA  HOME BOUND 4 WEEKS..IM ON  NOW 5 MGS OF METHADONE IM DETOXING..BUT THEN 10 MGS,..,AND MY DAILY DOSE OF XANAX THAT DAY WAS ONLY 2MGS..I WAS SHAKING SO MUCH..THEY ADDED 2 MGS OF ATTAIVANS AND A 5 MGS SHOT OF HALODOL ANOTHER TRANWILIZER..THEY SAID THIS WILL HELP ME..IT DID IT PUT ME OUT..BUT MY O2 WAS 99% ON ROOM AIR TEMP..AND THE DOC SAID I WAS OK ON THE COMBO IF I WENT 5 YRS WITHOUT ANY POROBLEMS///

MY FATHER IS 71 ON 40 MGS OF METHADONE AND 3 BARS DAY..HE ALSO IS ON O2 FOR EMPHYSEMA...

SO YES  please listen to your dockters....if yoiu ever just try things on  your own it may  be fatel...the docs know the do and don'ts i do to but im only a medical advocate i cant tell you things like this  for you what to do...but just tell you what the risks  can be   GOD BLESS                                JAMES
Hello.

As a 5 year heroin addict who then switched to meth for another three, I HIGHLY recommend suboxone.  First of all, you go to a doctor who will give you a monthly dose, so no going 6 days and then 5 and so on before you earn their trust.  30 days right off the bat.  Secondly, in my experience, you cannot get high while on suboxone, as it is actually a mix of two drugs, 1- an opiate of some sort and 2- an opiate blocker.  I certainly wouldn't endorse it, but I doubt you could even overdose while on that stuff.  

The downside is that insurance does generally not cover it, and even if it does- the sheister docs take cash only.  Then the script costs about 70 bucks, even with partial payment from the insurance.  But...if you can afford it, it is IMMENSELY better than methadone, which also has long term health effects and puts you around other junkies, elevating the risk of relapse.  I weaned myself off suboxone in about a year and it was painless.

Best of luck to you all.  

P.S. I still occasionally imbibe, but it's only when I want to and not when the leash gets too tight.  Been that way for about 5 years now.  Peace out.
I was addicted to heroin ,oxy, anything opiate to get rid of my pain, I was in a car accident and i could get on a daily basis as much as i wanted to get high, well it got so bad i lost my daughter(she went with my mom) and i entered detox for a week, they medicate you and get you off of the opiates and get it all outta your system. well the day i got out my mom allowed me back in the home and with my daughter, but the first thing i could think of was how crappy i felt, when your on drugs for 10 years, w the only break in taking em was when i was pregnant, when you dont have them, you dont feel, normal anymore, you destroy your brain and the places in your brain that causes pleasure and sadness and love. everything gets destroyed,

so 2 days after getting out of detox i got on methadone. Im on 145 mgs a day, and its controlled, I cant take more or less, i cannot abuse it and it has allowed me to work and be a great mom, but just about 4 months ago my anxiety of working and ballet classes and everything my stress was so bad i was having panic attacks and the ambulance had to come give me oxygen two times, im a highly stresses/anxiety ridden person. so they put me on kolonopin,

I AGREE IT IS VERY DANGEROUS,
BUT
if you are taking it as prescribed and not abusing either, it can be very beneficial , it saved my life. it enabled me to behere for my daughter rather than doin what i habve to fo to get opiates. and im working for the first time in ten years, so i personally think that everyone on this board is giving methadone and k-pins a bad rep.
hi you posted on a very old post you might want to go to the top of the page where it says post a question in the green box....as for mixing benzos with methadone it can be a deadly combo dont take both at the same time ..most methadone clinics check for benzos in urinalysis and they will want you to cut your dose down to below 100ml
at lest thats how the clinic where I went was as for methadone being something good
4 mo into it it may seam that way but the long term side effects havent had a chance to hit you yet...I was on it for 6 1/2 yrs and after that long you tend to live in a bit of a fog you loose your sex drive completely put on extra weight and the list goes on and on ..the wost part about the whole thing is you get the illusion everthing is fine around you when in realty things are not...methadone is no way to live long term as for short term use to get off heroin or oxy it has its place but you dancing with the devel mixing benzo"s with the stuff and if you do get a reaction you dont get a second chance...the best move I ever made was getting off the stuff its been 110days now and once again I can feel life again its good not to live under its fog...best of luck to you I hope you keep your use to a short period of time...God bless Gnarly  
my bad, just wanted to state my opinion and i dont spend my life on message boards so i cam eacross it and decided to voice my opinion. sorry if i posted wrong.

Well, based on the fact that my doctor is both a methadone specialist that has been practicing 25 years, also is a mental health(psychiatrist) that also prescribes my kolonopin, i understand where  you are coming from and i know that all this medication is not the answer but its giving me a chance to get my life right, body mind and soul. and basically take care of things that i have pushed aside for years due to hussling just to get high. I am on the right forum because the point i was trying to get at was that under a doctors STRICT observation, the combonation CAN BE controlled and CAN BE something that can help people, not everyone is the same, because in my group i see people that have been on way higher amount of benzos on a daily basis for 30 years. What im trying to get at is there are always two sides to everything- yes, if abused, the two can be EXTREMELY lethal. BUT there's also people out there like me that take a small amount of a anxiety medicine and methadone, which everybody dose is different! if i was getting high off of the mixture, i sure as heck wouldn't be up every day and working and being a mom and just doing the simple things like grocery shopping. I feel unless you have been put in someone elses shoes, you have no clue what your talking about.(not to sound rude) But people can stereo type the mixture however they want, that's their opinion, but there are others that its beinifical for when taken corectly.
I overdosed from 20mg of valium and then later I took 40mg of methadone. I had to be revived by the EMT's and ended up in a lock down unit in the hospital. That was a year ago before I took methadone regularly, I now take 50mg a day but still no benzos. If I were prescribed them and ramped up slowly I'm sure it would be fine.

Dave
SCI C5/C6
It depends on your dose of methadone, your weight, your tolerance, and your ability to handle drugs like a friggen adult. Just don't OD on anything - take them as prescribed, I have been on methadone for 2 years at 205 milligrams a day, yes I said 205 mg's a day, plus I am on valium and switching to klonopin because the valium does absolutely nothing at all!!  I might as well be eating a raisin or something with the valium. So my doc thinks we should try the klonopin and so should I. You just need to know how to take it as prescribed and how to handle the two together and you should be fine. Just dont be a *******.
i am 28 years old and never did drugs until i turned 23...i never did perks,oxies,coke none of that..the first pill i tried was methadone and i loved it. iwas taking anywhere drom 40 to 80mg a day then i joined the clinic cause i couldnt afford to buy it on the streets anymore...i was up to 120mg on the clinic...i stayed on the clinic for 4 months and realized this wasnt for me so i went to rehab to get off of it and today MARCH 3, 2010 is three years clean off of it...i know its hard to get off it and the withdraw ***** but if i can do it anyone can...i just wanted to post a positive note on here for the ppl whoi want off of it.........methadone is the devil himself and he will kill you
for me methadone saved my life those who keep there dose low so they can break through it with klonipin (klonopin) clonidine xanax phenergens etc and take this cocktail daily in the boston area are just takin up space of people who need help i know everyone has there own horror stories but for me and my wife after a 22 year run on heroin fentynl oxys morphine etc we were glad we got into a methadone program if worked right methadone does not get u high its all the knucklefucks that take the cocktail or use methadone at a lowdose as there backup plan if they dont score that give methadone a bad name.methadone eliminates the highs and lows that come with opiate abuse after sevreral overdoses i am glad we  made the call to the clinic cuz me and my wife would be dead yes its hard to ge off of it but if u decrease 1mg a day u wont even feel it so if your at your wits end and dont know where to turn methadone is an option that can be  considered talk to a counseler there get the real facts not from  somebody with a three month habit if your looking for an opiate crutch and an added ingredient to your deens pins phins cocktail sta away those wo get messed up from methadone are people abusing other subtances take a ride  down the methadone mile on southhampton st boston mass and see the seekers of indgredients to the cocktail  who sometimes spend all day 7 to 12 hours sometimes more to score deens pins and phins to maximize there methadone dose methadone alone at the proper dose will not get u high every case is different but methadone can be a saving grace if u work the program and dont abuse it it could save your life
HI welcome to the forum....you posted on an old post ...you should start at the top of the page in the green box marked post a question and start a new thread....as for getting off methadone I did it 137 days ago and to say its difficult is an understatement
it took me 8 1/2mo to ween down off 150ml and there where plenty of withdrawals
during the taper especially when you get down to around 20ml below 10ml I went at 1ml a week and it was shear he11 to break free from in the end the final withdrawal last around 7 days and then theres the mental grind that I still go thew...methadone is no free ride and when you decide to get off it you will see just what a vice it has over you
but in the end it is so so worth it not to be chained to the liquid handcuffs anymore
good luck to you and God bless....Gnarly
I am a person who was addicted to oc, roxie, etc and went to the methadone clinic.  I have been there 2 years and it is a lifesaver.  I went from taking 20 oc's a day to taking 240mgs of methadone a day.  Now I am at 7 mgs.  I am almost done and if you do your detox right IT IS SIMPLE!!! Just go slow dont rush it.  You didnt get addicted in one day your not going to be un addicted in one day.  I started out 10 mgs decrease per 5days then went to 3 then 2 and then 1.  I have 4 weeks left and will be done.  There are also vitamins, and other meds YOU HAVE TO TAKE OR IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK AS HELL!!!  Like, Nician flush free, Multi Vit, Clonidine, and Protien.  YOU MUST HAVE THESE OR YOU WILL BE RIGHT BACK WHERE YOU STARTED OR WORSE.  I am almost there.  Yeah it wasnt a walk in the park but it is not as bad as some of you make it out to be.  Methadone is a Godsend.  I would recomend anyone that has the prolblem I used to have try it or Suboxone one of the two.  I was on Methadone and Klonopin I had Benzo approval from the clinic cause I am bi polar.  When you start your detox you HAVE TO CUT IT TO NIGHTS ONLY WITH BENZO cause it can be dangerous and never take them at the same time.  That is how people get killed they are STUPID and mix them the same time.  Dont blame the meds blame the people its their fault not the meds.
Methadone is the devil guys, its all funny now but wait till it turns on you? or you try to get of it...... I wonder how many Duel diagnosed people are about? anxiety disorders underneath that methadone haze.... then they drop some Klonopins on top to kick that anxiety out !!!!!!!!! Not sure but I am thinking methadone needs to go!!!!!!!!
Triger happy that's all find n dandy saving your life...wait till you hit 0mg.....then the real work starts clean......... You will be crying out for that methadone again :) ...i say this with concern
Hey Tony been a wile since I have seen you on the forum...how you doing ?? and did you break free of the methadone yet ?? if not what is your dose now?? hope all is well with you I know you where really struggling there for a wile then you just disappeared from the forum...im glad you back...post on your progress.....Gnarly
BTW methadone and clonipin can be a deadly combo its like rolling dice every time you mix the 2 you dont get a second chance if your wrong....I wouldn't do this
These two drugs together can cause you to regress to the mind of a 2 year old.  Or a cabbage.  Be ware of drooling.  I don't feel safe taking them at the same time but I am still prescribed both.  I take my methadone and Klonopin many hours apart so I don't look like a herion addict that just shot up the best dope ever.  I hate that nodding off and dropping food and drinks in my lap, acting like an idiot feeling.  Some people like this but its no life for me so I am VERY careful and only take Kpins when I'm having muscle spasms or high anxiety which is what they are presribed for and only way after I took my methadone or way before.

Jaz
I noticed your comment above about how you have never mixed methadone and Klonapin, though you are on both, saying that you take your methadone in the morning and no more for the rest of the day and then take the Klonapin before bedtime. I just thought I should warn you that in actuality you are mixing the two because Methadone stays in your system and lasts for 24 hours. I even believe that it's half-life is 24 hours, though it may be 12, which still means it is active in your system for at least 24 hours.

You pointed out that you only take it once a day in the morning, but that is basically what all or most methadone patience take it like as well because it will last until the next morning at the same time. Personally, I take 190mg once a day in the morning and it lasts perfectly until the following day. Also I recently received a prescription for Klonapin 1mg 3 times a day, though I've only been taking at night (1mg) and I can definately feel the effects, so I really would hope that you will keep an eye on that and understand that you are still mixing the two even though you only take the done in the morning. Good luck Z; hope it all works out for you no matter what you decide..... Peace Out... RokyRakoon
Im an 20 year old guy,that is now on Methadone Maintaince Program.
I have started 8 days ago with Methadone Therapy , with starting dose of 20mg. As TEAM OF EXPERTS for Drug addicts (heroin) in Novi Sad (Serbia-EasternEurope) said ,i will be rising my dosage to the like 120mg ,then i will start or acctually try to tapp off IF I WANT TO.If I dont want to,i can be my whole life on methadone and that is that.Why should i fight against something that is doing good for me! And i saw a post that don treatment shoudn't last more than 2 weeks.Sorry dude,but that is TOTATTALY uncorect,especially when it is about HC jukies.Ok,they will settle up a little bit withdraw symptoms  with 30mg of Methadone per day ,yes,but are they of of heroin then -NO!!! Is there still opiate craving - YES.DESIRE for opiates-YES.Eventually you did nothing,and they will hook up on opiates again!!! THAT'S A FACT WITH THAT 2 WEEK OF METHADONE...No such thing,believe me.So, by the book that is written by European Specialists for fight against Drug and Crime , said that Methadone Treatment have shown best resulst after Heroin Maintaince in Swiss,and G.Britain.Benefists for individual are HUGE and benefits for environment is GREAT.
Individual : is monitored,fully protected from getting or spreading deceases like HIV,or Hepatitis (A,B,C) and other... , is increasing his quality of life, he is more effective at work,more productive,more sociable.Changing taking supstance from I.V to oral.
Environment: much less crime activities by addicts(who desperately were searching to rob or steal something to cover thier habbit),less infected people,ex addicts can exchange expirience with normal people so normal people get a sing of warning from them.Idividuals are getting in to normal way of living, they are LIVE!!!not overdoesed...   AND MANY MORE.

BORIS MILANOVIC , REPUBLIC OF SERBIA ( EX HEROIN ADDICT)
view and comment my channel at you-tube called  "  milanovicful   "   *  

here's the link  http://www.youtube.com/user/milanovicful
Everything about my addiction,and it is updated everyday or two.If you have any questions leave them on comment,i will CERTAINLY help you.My mom is doctor and i have huge drug addict experience.
Thank you for reading,and check 4 real my channel cuz there are everything about my addiction and stuff...
well im only 17 and i was on 120ml, and have been gradually decreasing.
and am now on a lower dose and took klonopin and was fine, the thing i s you could be fine for months but your on a line and one night u could slip over and lose your whole damn life...doesnt sound worth it.
too many doctors are uneducated about methadone, and even so they're all just pushing more drugs.youd be lucky to get a good doctor, or a better one that specializes in addiction. ive been with one and its changed my route enough to actually let me benefit  but is still so ridiculously hard.
subuxone sounded better but i chose methadone, i think i made a mistake.
itd be nice if the damn government would fund and put something that made an actually difference for some of its people 'ahem cough''' numbers.....
I agree with most on here.  Methadone is evil.  I  was raped by a friend while strung out on large amount of hydro and xanax and got pregnant. I don't even remember having sex, so I was surprised to learn I was already in my second trimester months later.  Fortunately, I'd had enough of the hydros and went to suboxone, but my insurance company and doctors told me I should be on methadone.   I didn't do my research, and went to the clinic, where I was started on 30, 40... all the way up to 115mg/day.  Sure, I felt normal when I had it, and initially thought it was the solution, but wait until you accidentally spill a liquid, or the bottle leaks, or you vomit your dose (as I did often from the two pregnancies I had while on it).  Think the clinics are going to give a crap?  

With both pregnancies, I had "hyperemesis gravidarum," which just means severe "morning sickness."  I puked every 20 minutes for the first 7 or 8 months of pregnancy, and when I did, I went through hell that day.  Diarreah (diarrhea), more puking, profuse sweating, feeling like I was wrapped in saran wrap and my skin couldn't breathe, hot flashes, headaches, unable to eat or sleep, horrible muscle aches, feeling like termites were chewing on my every nerve.  I often broke out into tears.  

I'm on level 27, so I get 4 weeks' take homes at a time... liquid.  I have a ton of anxiety about that alone.  I grabbed a bottle the other day, the the label was pink from the bottle leaking.  Thankfully, there was still 60mg left of 115 in it, but the day was no fun.

Anyone thinking of methadone, whatever you're on now and however bad you think the w/ds are, it will be SO MUCH WORSE on methadone.  You'll be a slave to it!  There's a reason it's called "liquid handcuffs."  And most clinics here are cash-only, so be prepared to spend $4,380 a year on the stuff.  

Personally, I've had enough, and will start tapering tomorrow, on my own, after I dose today.  I've talked to the clinic many times about it, and they clearly don't want me off ($$$$). My own general practitioner advised this, and will prescribe clonidine to help me thorugh it. It may take two years, but it beats 20 as a slave to this crap.
Just need to say that the reason you are finding (or found, you wrote months ago) wd from methadone to be relatively easy is that you are using clonidine to assist your wd.  This drug masks the effects of narcotic wd very effectively.  I can assure you, without it you would be going through holy hell, of the extended variety.  Perhaps you might like to know what unassisted wd is like before you make such a pronouncement. You are very fortunate to have such assistance, to those who are not offered help or do not have the means to get it, your self important attitude belittles their suffering.  Curious as to how you will manage the long term recovery symptoms.  
I will have to say that I have also been on Methadone for four years now and yeah it is a drug that I wouldn't advise for anyone to get on. I have to say that while you are on it that it does help with keeping you off everything else, but when you get ready to come off of it be ready to handle the withdrawls that come along with it. I was at 135mg of methadone for four years and then decided to smoke some weed and the pissed hot at the clinic one time and they started detoxing me 1mg every two days, then I went to make my  payment one day and they told me if I didn't have all of it they were going to put me on Financial detox which is where you detox 5mg every single day!!!! I was ok on the 1mg every other day but I am down to 38mg right now and I have to say at first when they started detoxing me at 5mg a day I didn't notice hardly but now for the past 2 days I have felt like crap. I have headaches, hot flashes, can not sleep at night, and have had a head cold for the whole duration of this process since I have been coming down off of this. I also can not get motivated for nothing!!!! I have been trying to be real tough though but still can not hang. I do feel like I need something to help with the detoxing since I am coming off of it so fast!!! I am scared though that if I do that I will keep wanting to do it, I am going to try and go to the doctor here soon for some help. I can say now that methadone is a very powerful drug, emotionally and physically. I wouldn't advise anyone to get on this at all. It does have it's pros and cons but more cons that anything in my opinion. It is a drug that takes over you and I feel like I am a very strong individual but this medication has been a challenge!!!!
Benzo's and methadone is very dangerous together..i know lots of ppl that have overdosed on this stuff..and ive seen ppl get really messed up on it...but my cousin is perscribed methadone and xanax but he is on 90 mg..but he is only allowed 2 a day
i am a 24 year old male on 98mgs of meth daily i take 33 clonidide .3mg plus 4mgs of klonopin and at least 50mgs of pormethazine or phenergan EVERYDAY to feal my methadone and get ripped. i have exemly scary withdraws from trting to stop the clonidine like im going to have a siezure of sonmething if i dont take cloididne witn 48 hours i have twiwches in my head if i dont take them eccpecially at night , ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME EXP> TELL ME
I had very painful cramps before and during my periods. I nerver could have children. The doc prescribed hydro at first only 20 7.5 a month. I never was a pill popper or if I tried something I would get off soon. Anyway I had a client who would share his oxy with me when I was in pain. Then it got to be a every day thing. I realized I was getting very addicted, so I went to a rehap with nothing. For a week I could not sleep, anixiety, streching of the legs, feeling like I had to pee every 5 seconds on and on. I would of rather had the flu for weeks. So when I left I was shaking sooo bad that I drove right back to the drug. One day I got turned on to one methadone and I loved it. Went to a health clinic and got the Dr. that new was prescibing this med. He saw I was messed up in the baby maker area and gave me 6-10 mg a day. Of course the high was great and you always ene up short and find other ways to get more. Anyway they did a sweep in the clinics and the one that was doing the investigation said no methedone is only for people getting off herion or bone cancer patients. so they started tapering, well I was not going to get sick so I found another Dr. got my 6 back a day 10mg. Then I said no more went to a female Dr who is more like a health nut. We took 3 10mg a day away so I was done to 3 pills a day and felt no withdraw. Well then she took the third one away and I went to see her and I was a mess. I told her that eas to much now. So she and I agreed to the 2 a day but I got 15 extra for the bad days. Like someone said find the dr. that will work with you. she will go very slow with me how ever I feel she will help. Anyway I am not a drepressed person and told her no way on the antidepression, however I decided to try the wellburtrin. Well I have been looking up alot about the brain and mental issues. I feel that mentally the wellbutrin is bringing out the good seriton, nepo, and other happy brain responders with out being flat lined. so may tappering is going great mentallybut like the phamist said when it is down to the 1/4 or the end that is going to be a little hell body craving, but I beleive this will not last a long time. Yes opiates take your brain and plug the receptors and its like it flips it upside down and twist it around and it takes tome for the brain to come back to normal. I know I will have a monkey on my back, so you need meetings or church other people who whent threw the same thing. You must stay away from the triggers. I do get clonazepam and use it only late to help sleep once in a while. I had no clue until I picked them up yesterday and read the paper that said not to mix with methedone so I will wait until I am done with the meth and then use it. Dr said I might need muscle relaxers too. So to any one out there please do not or try not to start any opiate it is the nightmere from hell if you built up and up and want off. Please try otc none addicting drugs first. I have been fighting this for 10 years. Finally got hysterectomy and no more pain anyway. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US AND PRAY PRAY GOD WILL PROVIDE.
I was taking scary doses of vicodin when i found out I was pregnant. I was sent to a methadone clinic when i went off the pills cold turkey and started to bleed out almost losing my son.That was five years ago. They put me on 160 dose of methadone split between the morning and evening since the doc said my body metabolizes it at an alarming rate. I am now down to 40 mgs a day and going down 10 every month. When i go down the 10 mgs i feel really sick and anxious. My clinic wants to keep me on the methadone and have me go up if i feel bad but whats the point? I will never get off if i chicken out every time I feel horrible. Problem is I am a single mom to 4 kids and run my own business. Functioning is becomeing so hard. WHat can I do? HATEOPIATES
I watched a Doc on hbo about junkies doing that. you have to take them at a certain time for the heroĆ­n effect
Very dangerous mix. I mixed the two for years the on night I did like half what I usually did and had to be resusitated 3 times in the ER. Go ahead and do it if u want but it is one of the most dangerous mixes of drugs to do.  
I'm on 100mg of methadone and 1mg of klonipin (klonopin) a day and I'm fine. I don't recommend it if it's not given to you by a doctor and start with a low dose of methadone and slowly go up. That way the chance of an o.d. isn't nearly as high. And always make sure your doc knows what your on, if you have 2 docs and one prescribes the methadone and one the klonipin (klonopin) make sure both docs are aware of what your on. Don't play with your life. But I don't think it's dangerous to take both as long as doctors monitor you and how it affects you.
I hear ya, I have been on Methadone for 3 years and I now coming off it slowly, it is a real pain and I hope to god I can come off it. I really want to, thats for sure. Mixing the two is absolutely dangerous. Always tell your doctor the truth, unless you prefer spending your days in a casket.
What doctor do you go to? Im in tulsa oklahoma got stabbed 5 times and tired of being the doctors ginny pig. And with soonercare they give u 6 scripts per month so i run out quick along with my carpal tunnel. Im 30 and disabled. I heard it worked pretty good for chronic pain but hard to find a doctor. I dont like tabs or morphine or percs or injections. Like to try it.
Stay away from methadone with a 10 foot poll for pain management it has a evil withdrawal like no other I was on it for 6 1/2 yrs for pain management kept bombing up my dose from 30 mg all the way to 150mg then it quit working all together leving me with a huge addiction to break....you cant just go off it it has to be tapered it took me 8 1/2 mo to taper off and I did it fast
methadone should be left for the most chronic pill habits (25) or more or heroin addiction other then that it serves no useful propose........Gnarly      
I started reading this thread -- so happy I had found something about mixing Klonopin and Methadone. A few posts in, I was sobbing. This sounds so hopeless.
FIRST I want to say: DON'T TRUST YOUR DOCTOR (the one who's prescribing these nasty drugs. They do not know what they're doing, unfortunately. You start off, so glad to have something to stop a pain, and then you descend into hell.

15 years ago, I remember saying: "I don't take pills." Stupid and arrogant of me.
I have had "Restless Legs Syndrome" for a long time. The first drug I was offered as Klonopine -- people thought it was the best answer to help you sleep. Of course that wears off.
A few years back, after being a guinea pig for any drug a doctor thought might help, a doctor said to me: You're at the end of the line on these drugs. You should take Methadone (and by the way, keep taking the Klonopine).
Now I take 20 mg of Methadone. I'm trying to get off the Klonopine first. I've taken.05 of it for probably 12  years. I went down to 1/2 a pill, now I'm down to 1/4 a pill. I will try to get off now. then I'll try to slowly get off Methadone.

Those docs?  The one who prescribed Methadone never told me about how it depresses breathing. I'm already on a CPAP because I don't breathe enough. why in the hell didn't he ask me, or check my record.

God, I'm so scared. I'm so glad I found this and invite any comments.
(Oh, I also take a puff of pot every now and then -- when the restless legs gets too bad or I'm in pain from arthritis -- I've been telling my friends (I'm 68) how wonderful pot is if you're in pain. I got mad at my doctor for telling me not to use it. I'm in Colorado and get it "legally."
I'm going to agree with this post.. having buried too many in our family also due to this mixture.. the last two within months of each other and both only 19... the youngest being 14... I would never think about this mix :(
come down slowly from the klodopen ( i didnt spell it right) because if u just stop cold turkey! u will most likely have a seizure..I was abusing xanax about 7 years ago..and i was like f' it ! im done with these..and didnt know that If I just stopped like that it was dangerous..when I woke up my then bf was like crying and said..u really scared me..u just started shaking like a serizure..and I was asleep and didnt remeber any of it! so, please be careful and talk to your doctor that gives u the pills or the methadone.
i lost 2 friends mixing xanax and methadone
suboxone is definatly a better way to go for wds rather than methadone,i have been told this by many ,though i also herd you can also get high if performed the rite way but if taken properly it is much safer ,,but the downside for me was my insurance wouldnt pay for suboxone
in my opinion 135 is way to much unless yer a hardcore user of say heroin etc i used everything and have a great doctor and it was a long tapering system to  get me to where i felt comfortable on 100ml,,i have been on for a couple years and have had it with methadone,,this is my second day not taking methadone and still have 3 bottles in the fridge ,,i know ill cave eventualy so i ask others on here that have said they kicked fairly easy please tell me how ,,am i rite to just quit totaly ???i felt terible yesterday and slept 2 days to help skip a dose and i guess this is day 3 ,morning ,,and as for useing any thing like clones or xanax any benzo can plain old kill ya one day or another from resperatory depression even though i myself took ten clones last night ,,and ussualy 6 on average even though i know i can die from it,,i agree most doctors and shriks dont know squat about methadone and benzos ,it sais rite in the guid do not take any benzos or you risk dieing from resperatory depression,,
i finaly caved and drank a bottle of methadone after 3 days ,,after reading how the side effects go,,i thought i could do it cold turkey because i havent been that bad after 3 days but after reading some **** on here i changed my mind and just took my dose instead of waiting for bad wds which is what i read,,,that it can hit you a week later and make you sick as a dog ,,i dont need that ill be debateing on slow ly cutting my dose down over a year since it took that long to get to 100 ml,,i guess im also a lucky one living in canada and after that year i can take home my weeks doses every thurday,,instead of going everday,,i dont think i could have kept going everyday after that year was up,,,
Hey I know this isn't helpful for the conversation- but I was also prescribed the two drugs together and have heard about the interactions between benzodiazipans and opiates. The combination can be deadly but always keep in mind that there more then just one out there that can cause such a drastic sometimes fatal mixture and reaction. I have been attending a methadone clinic for about 3 years now and I've come across several people who lost family or friends due to the use or combinations of drugs with their methadone doses. Its a very shady business they have going on some of these clinics, and sometimes I feel like they are no different from the slingers and pushers we have in the streets. Have of these places only except cash and it seems to be getting a little more regulated but in the wrong direction. Its much too much to explain. I reccommend only taking advice from a certified medical doctor; not that lorigurls info wasnt accurate or helpful. It was extremely accurate and helpful. I just mean in a general sense, cause you don't know where that person heard it and how much they have dramatized or even fabricated their own twists and theories. But most importantly guys is just to be honest with yourselves cause this medication is severly addicting and grab on to you and never let you go if you don't fight to do whats right for your mind and body. Its so hard and you will suffer that is part of the process for you to get back on track. I was born with a serious neurological birth effect and Ive under gone multiple surgeries. So I know how hard it is to let go and start on the path of recovery. I have done pretty well though, I went from 115mg of methadone to 20mgs of methadone in a matter of four months. To me it was a huge accomplishment. So don't give up and let this drug get the better of you and control your lives. Cause that is exactly what it does. There so many different alternatives and treatments other then addicting narcotics that the cheap health care in the country shoves down our throats rather then ficing the problem that is causing all the pain. You have to be prepared to fight the urge of excepting the pills and demand that you get treatment that is going to work permantely or atleast long-term. Pills and drugs just mask the problem and while we are all numb. The problem is only getting worse and the pills are only getting stronger and more abundant. Good luck everyone, and Im very sorry for your losses lorigurl. That is very unfortunate and such a shame that a person with so much to give and experience had to be taken away from her ambitions and dreams cause of tiny little pill. Its very sad and I am truly sorry that your community and friends are struggling with what I belive to be an epidemic. Stay strong and you should try to reach out more cause your feed back and information is very helpful to others who are looking for some answers. Great suggestions and advice. Take care!
I have been on methadone for 6 years at 125mg, and I am on 2mg Clonazepam three times a day, and have Ativan 2mg PRN, and I have never had ANY adverse effects.  I know I cannot speak for every one, but mabee one would have respiratory collapse if they just munched down twice the benzo's they're RX'd, but I think its important that methadone and benzo's should NOT be started at the same time.  I was on benzo's 3 full years before I started methadone, so mabee it comes down to having one or the other in your system a while before the other is started..Talk to your Doctor about this, only problem there is every Doctor would give you a different answer.  I tapered down to 35mg meth on a fast taper, put myself into withjdrawal for 5 days(really only need 72 hours), and was started on suboxone, and the Canadian government will cover the cost of Suboxone on a Section 8, mine being they think its much safer being on benzo's and all my other meds that are with me for life, qualified me for covered suboxone.  I  never, though, had any problems with methadone and a fairly high dose of clonazepam+lorazepam..Only go foreward with benzo's on methadone after talking to your doctor.  If you're already on benzo's and are starting methadone, I in all experience and honesty don't think you'll have a problem UNLESS you're on Meth and eating benzo's like candy--
you know your body best, but talk to your doc, if he was to prescribe you benzo's, i'm sure he'd start very low and gradually bump you up based on what sort of reaction you have, if any..take care, and think positively,
don't try to use benzo's on meth just to feel higher, take whatever benzo however the docs given it to you.  I know that in OATC clinics in Ontario that they lose a few peop[le every month due to meth+high dose benzo abuse..key word abuse..take care and hope all works out well with you,
HI  every time you take a benzo with methadone its rooling the dice respiratory failure can occur at any time even well into the use of both a lot of methadone clinincs wont take you if your on benzos in the states for that reason you have been lucky up till now but this combo is deadly iven after prolonged use dont fool your self into thinking its safe it not.......Gnarly  
I HAVE BEEN ON METHADONE FOR 13 YRS (1) TIME--SOBER FOR 2 YRS THEN RE-LAPSED AND WENT BACK ON METHADONE AGAIN--IT SAVED MY LIFE-I WENT BACK TO WORK@140MG.-I HAVE BEEN ON IT AGAI FOR 12 1/2 YRS AGAIN. I AM NOW 54 YRS OLD -WENT THROUGH INTERFERON TREATMENT-PLUS HAD OPEN HEART SURGERY--MY ADVICE IS GO TO RECOVERY(12 STEP) AND DON'T WAIT TILL YOUR 54 YRS OLD LIKE ME. I AM NOW AT 20 MG AFTER 1 YR. OF TAPERING FROM 140MG. I AM IN PAIN ALMOST EVERY DAY,BUT NOT WILLING TO GIVE UP. I DON" RECCOMEND SUBOXONE,BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE TO WAIT 5 AGONIZING DAYS OF WITHDRAWAL--YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST GO ALL THE WAY!!!!   I AM IN 12 STEP RECOVERY AND PRACTICE HUMILITY,BUT I AM AND WAS ONE HARDCORE--I AM PRAYING FOR THE DAY OF NO MORE METHADONE--JUST LIFE ON LIFE'S TERMS---WHERE MERCY IS SHOWN MERCY IS GIVEN ---WE PRAY FOR EACH OTHER -"GOOD LUCK JUNKIES" --------------THANKS--HARDCORE-M.G.
I have been on methadone for 8 years now. I am 28 years old and have tried to taper several times but I always go back up. I am at 50mg right now. Do you have any advice on keeping the mental thoughts at bay!
I've been taking 8 milligrams of klonopin1every6hrs and 180 milligrams of methadone 60mg 3x daily and I feel fine
i am taking 160 mg of methadone once a day at 5am everyday, and now was just scribed klonpin 1mg to take 1 at bedtime to sleep. Is this safe since its so far apart?
taking any benzo med with methadone is a crap/shoot you never know if or when you will go into respiratory   failure if I where you I  wouldent take it it just not worth the chance night after night
good luck and God bless.........Gnarly
I'm 29 years old & been on methadone (legally & in a medical facility to receive my daily dose) for 3 years. It saved my life! I'm able to function & do not crave opiates at all!! it is not an alternate to pain pills either! If used for treatment & correctly, it is a great way to get clean and once you are at a stable milligram, you get no"high" & feel like a normal person. It's honestly a life saver! I was detoxing (coming down a milligram a week) then got pregnant....totally not my plan but God's...methadone
Hi I've been on methadone for 10 years or more, I'm 51. I was taking 60mg 3 times a day, doc started tapering me off at -1 - 10mg a week I'm starting my 4th week , lots of pain , sweat attacks, headachs feel dizy dont wany to do anything. I've been in pain sence I was 19. I would just as soon stay on the methadone till I die. At leat I could do things and get a few hours releaf at a time.Don;t know what I'm getting at. Life just ***** today and this new nurse doctor whatever she is ***** too.
A lot of people take benzos with Methadone to increase the euphoric high of the Methadone. I've done it many times myself.

My best friend died from doing it 3 years ago. It suppresses the breathing reaction and he must have nodded off and just stopped breathing. The guy who was staying with him left to get cigarettes and when he got back 15 minutes later my friend was still sitting at the kitchen table where he left him, only dead.

My Suboxone contract contained a clause where I agreed not to mix it with benzos because of all the reported deaths from people doing so.
I have mixed benzos with about 150mg of methadone. My wife had to give me CPR all night, while I twitched and gasped for air. My old dealer was rushed to the hospital about two months ago for meth/Klonipin combo. He took them to go to sleep, as prescribed, and his wife saved his life. Be careful, please. The Thomas Recipe at bottom right of this page helps with some withdrawals and speeds up brain chemistry healing. Before you do something out of desperation, search for other options. This is not a suggestion, but a testimony, I ended up using subutex for the worst of my methadone detox, because I kept doing stupid things.
i agree, i am on metadone and kolonipin, but my doses are really low compared to a lot of other people i know that take the two, i take 65mgs of methadone and 1.0 mg of kolonipin a day, some people i know are on 120 mg of methadone and they take like 10.0 mgs of kolonipin, thats way more then me, i think they are crazy,
You are right, combing benzos along with methadone is very dangerous! Know couple of people who OD'd or had life threatening seizures with foaming at the mouth, bloop pressure shot up to 255/175. He was taking 170mg methadone a day and tried to detox himself with ativan and librium and the end results were not good! He is now in the hospital on seizure meds, until who knows when...
Absolutely Correct......Ive been a methadone patient for 2 1/2 years and the biggest thing that they stress is NOT to mix any benzo's with methadone and that death is always a great possibility.  I do know this is an OLD post but we all have questions and concerns.  
By the way I left the Methadone clinic 17 days ago and the w/d are UNGODLY and I was only on 43 mgs.  Im not sure how in the hell Im ever going to get thru this insomnia, cramping, lathargic, sweats, etc..... idk if I can do it anymore......Im tryin to wait it out but at times do pray for death.  In another few days detox might have to happen.  For now, Im tryin to tough it out-------GOD, IT IS A B**** tho!
I been on that combo of pills for6 years plus 1mg of xanax i take 120mg methadone its SAFE butt people have different body chemistry like morrr or less than the enzymes in the liver responsible for breaking down drugs always taper if you notice your supply dwindling just test it out by combining 1mg kpin with 70mg of your take home(s) and then see how itvgoes be safecthe people who die are the stupid ones (no offence)  who dont research what goes into their body.
i am 22 years old i take 170mg of methadone daily i also take 3-4 mg of klonopin daily. everything i take is thru a doc and the clinic but your saying i could go to sleep and just not wake up
JenxD, this is my first ever online post.  It was that important to me, to tell you the facts, as I have experienced them.  I have 4 discs out... in real pain.  Had been on the Norco ( 10mg 6 per day) and when that didn't work after 11 years, methadone seemed like a reasonable alternative to oxy or morph.  My ortho put me on it, 10 mg 4 per day.  It really knocked out the pain.  I moved, and the docs here send out to pain mgmt. When  I didn't have $250, for a visit, I was told so sorry....  no wean down script.... nothing. I have been on it for 7 years.  My primary is tapering me down, now...  as we speak.  I have done it before and if I had known the danger of the effects of the withdrawal, I would have asked for something else when I had the chance.  50 lbs heavier, embarrassed at looking strung out a lot o the time, unable to take any kind of cough med when sick, and struggling with near constant kidney infections due to dehydrative effects, I am facing (with the withdrawals) the worst bone crushing pain, GI symptoms that rival food poisoning, anxiety attacks and possible seizures.  Please....  choose another med for your pain.  It looks a whole lot different from the end of this road than from the beginning.  I wish you the best!
I know that is definitely a truth. To be more addicted to methadone than heroin; but I have only done heroin for 2 weeks with minor withdrawals, and have gone cold turkey off done 8x, and every time it was as bad as dying. Last time I went off of 140 mg. a private Dr. took over and is giving me 70 mg. a day monthly. After 8x detoxing from methadone, I'm not sure my body can handle it anymore. I am 54 years old. But, yes, Methadone is more addicting than heroin. And 10x worse to get off of. If you have no problem with taking it the rest of your life, then it is as good for opiate addiction as insulin is for a diabetic. To all the addicts that still suffer; remember Jesus loves you and will accept you even if you are on methadone. Vaughn22
So it has been 32 hour coming off cold turkey of duragesic patch. Let me tell you it been a rollercoaster ride the last 8 hours. Burning pain pins and my skin burning then freezing. Headache from hell and laying in bed all day no appetite and no water intake, It *****.
Hey bugsey
This is a very old thread. Stick to the thread you started. You got some responses on there. It is very important to stay hydrated. Many of the w/d symptoms are intensified if you are dehydrated. Force yourself to drink,
Water, Gatorade, juices.
Hang in there you are doing awesome.
Move around as much as possible that also helps.
Thanks It been hell since then now I know why people stay on Medication or whatever because its been like I've died and my body is just doing function without me. I have been up since 4:00 am on the 16th of August and the insomnia has kicked in and the extra saliva in my throat and mouth seem like its a slow death the freezing bone chilling then profusely sweeting is un real. I'm crying and when I close my eyes I'm hallucinating very bad things that happen in my past. I have try to hydrate but ice pops are my friend right now. Thank You for responding and giving me hope. My husband is not a big supporter.    
45 and worked for the USPS I had a fall and hit the corner of a step up to a side walk. I lacerated my kidney and liver broke my back at T1 T2 L4 L5 my neck is bulging and tore the muscle labrel in my left arm and had an impigment in that arm also. This happen in 2008 of June My arm hung out of socket for 2 years because of our lovely system the Government US LABOR I was put on several medication 40 in all of opiate's and inset drugs and muscle relaxers and lets not forget the psychotic drugs 10 in all. I'm making this story as short as possible. My Ortho Doctor and Shoulder Doc sent me to Pain management.      
I'm cold turkey coming off duregesic 25 mcg patches and it day 3 but really day 2
SERIOUSLY?! Just because your doctor prescribes them DOES NOT mean they are not dangerous. Methadone and Benzos should not be taken at the same time, if EVER possible. I understand taking a small dose of benzos on occasion, but that result in overdose very easily. Be careful, just because your doctor prescribes them together does not mean they are safe together.
Both benzos and methadone are central nervous system depressants, they cause your heart rate to slow and breathing to slow. When taken together, it can easily result in overdose and death. When you take two CNS depressants together that is bad- i.e. Alcohol and benzos, alcohol and methadone, methadone and benzos, etc.
My son is currently in the methadone program.  He also is being treated for hepatitis c.  Interferon is the medication for treating the hepatitis.  Unfortunately, lots of anxiety come withthe iinterferon.  Hence, the.doctor has prescribed klonopin.  Well, here is the problem.  My son suffers from quite severe adhd.  He took meds for that briefly when in s hool.  You see, when he takes any benzo, it speeds him up like he were on co ain, or methamphetamins.  It is literally too difficult for me to have a conversation with him when he's on benzos, yet he won't tell the doctor his behavior to the benzos because he is an addict and he enjoys the high of these two medications.  I am so frustrated because he won't listen to me and he is a thirty some year old man and I can't just call his doctor and discuss his treatment plan.  Please give me any suggestions you may have to ease his anxiety while on this hepatitis treatment drug and the methadone.  I am so afraid he will od on this combination as he continually abuses his benzo amount and quite frankly, I feel he is loosely grips mentally.  His behavior is so crazy he acts like a tweaked out speed junkie.  Please help me find my son and bring him out of this insanity.  I beg you!!
Please dont dismiss METHADONE so quickly! It has been a life savor for me! Before I was on Oxymorphone. Getting MAYBE 45% pain relief at best. And that only lasted 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs after injestion. So needless to say i was living my life horrid hour by horrid hour. I beg of you talk to your doctor about adjusting your methadone! With methadone i had 85%+ pain reliefe and it lasted for YEARS like this. Your body adjusts to it much more slowly than other pain MEDS. This is because of methadone extremely long half life and the different receptors it works with. Methadone was a god send for me. So PLEASE dont dismiss it so quickly as the "devil". Doctors are finally starting to see the benefit of using methadone as a pain reliever in moderate to highly sever cases. please dont fort those efforts... :/ ask your doc to try a different form of administration. I know when i switched from wafers to the pills i noticed a MAJOR increase in pain reduction with the exact same dose. So your body may be metabolizing it a fit differently. Please talk to your doctor before dismissing it completely. it may take another 1-3 adjustments  before your are comfortable. But i PROMISE YOU. IT WAS WORTH IT IN THE LONG HALL! I was a shell of a man before i found this medication for my pain... It hurts me to see others dismissing it so quickly :/
I so want to get off Methadone. It's been 4 years and i am on a very low dose 20 ml's. I want to switch to suboxon... Am I ready... I hate going to the clinic anymore, the done has me in li quid handcuffs..
I will also be traveling for 6 months by car, I can't stop at every done clinic. I had a wonderful woman docter for three months that gave them to me monthly... that was the best way.. I felt a sense of freedom & was able to wean myself to 20 ml's, she left the office for good. *****. Back at the horriable done clinic... I want to be done. What ever it takes! the withdrawls are inhumane...
Hi. You have posted on a very old (and lengthy) post. You may want to start your own thread by clicking on the "post a question" link at the top. In my opinion, it's best to just stop it all...methadone detox is terrible, I won't even sugar coat it. And from what I have heard, Suboxone is no cakewalk either. So why not bite the bullet and get it over with. It's hard, it really is. But in the end, it's well worth it. The freedom of not having to go see a doc monthly, (or daily in some ppls case) is amazing. The freedom of waking up and not depending on a little pill to make you feel like you can start your day and function, well that's amazing too. After 8 years on methadone, I decided enough was enough. I tapered off in 6 weeks....and here I am almost 420 days later. I had accepted that I would ALWAYS be on one pain med or another, but found out that just because I had accepted it, it didn't mean I couldn't try to change it and make my life better. And you can do the same. You'd be surprised how much better you feel. I thought that I would live a life full of back and hip pain, but soon found out that it wasn't the case. Sure...I have pain, but not every day, and it's nothing I can't handle. Ibuprofen and Tylenol usually do the trick now.

So just think about it. What kind of life do you want to have? One where you know what you'll be doing every day, which is looking forward to your next dose, and thinking about something no bigger than a button, or a life that is spontaneous and full of wonder and fulfillment?? Pretty sure anyone in their right mind would rather have the latter choice. Lol. Either way...good luck on whatever you decide to do. I'm not experienced with the Suboxone, but if you start your own thread with questions about it, there are plenty of very knowledgeable and compassionate ppl here that can help you. GOOD LUCK!!
Im using Methadone in 120mg per day for 3 years now, (earlier was 150mg for 10 months), and i was taking ALWAYS some benzodiazepine. Mostly Clonazepamum (but also Xanax, Signopam, Rohypnol, Lorazepam, Medazepam etc.), Im addicted to poiates since almost 10 years, and for benzos about 12 years. And everytime when i was shooting heroing or fentanyl or something i took bunch of benzos to it. And i must say, for guy who have 0 tolerance to benzodiazepines mixing opiodes with benzos can cause fatal CNS disorder. Remember! Safety first!
I have been on 10 mg of methadone for about 5 years. I never would go up in dosage because it managed my pain. I am now trying to get off because I want to work. This stuff is pure hell to come off. I am a athlete and have faced many giants in my life, but this one takes the cake. What do I need to beg for for the restless legs, no sleep etc. he called in zanax. It don't do anything I am at my last rope. My bottle of methadone is still here. But I need the job. Please help me get over this. It will be 2 weeks on 7/22/2014 how much longer

Hey Bama, this is an old thread from '07. I want to encourage you to click on "Post a Question" at the top of the forum and ask your question. You may get missed on this old thread. I don't want anyone to get lost. Just trying to help.

Good thing is, you stayed at a lower dose, but 5 years is a long time. Every body is different, but the pattern I see is, 3-4 weeks acute detox and a couple more months of energy slowly returning. Methadone is a slow detox, I am sorry to say. No meds helped me in acute detox either, though I never tried xanax.  Amino acid shakes, Cal/mag/zinc, multivitamine, EmergenC drink powder, and Epsom Salt baths as hot as you can stand it are what helped me most.