Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
moth balls

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

moth balls

i am addicted to moth balls. and i dont know what to do to stop. i have been at it since i was 16 and it has gotten alot worse. no one knows and i dont know who to talk too. PLEASE HELP ME
Hi!

You do know how dangerous that is, especially if you are snorting them???

I hope you post again and talk here. there are some good people here that can help you with addiction.

Take care.
I've never ever heard of this before.  What do moth balls do for you, get you high?  Do you eat them, snorth them?
HUH?? I have also never heard of this. What do you do with them?
It is NOT a joke. It is very serious. They are either snorted or chewed.
Yes, I see that.  Yikes.

Moth, contact someone for help.  Go to an NA meeting.  Or a rehab center.  You found us, so I know you can find those resources.  Are you in an urban area?
Holy Moly!!! This is NO JOKE!!! Get help NOW before you accidentally kill yourself!
thank you. i have realised a while ago. i suffer from bad anemia, i cant go on a 5 min walk without passsing out.
honestly this all sounds so stupid. but i also cannot afford to go to a rehab, and i wouldnt know where to find one.
i was hoping to do something on my own and i dont think i can that is why i finally reached out.
i started by snorting pretty much like that article. but now i chew them and eat them.
thankyou.
i will find out about rehabs in my area. I am in South Africa.
Oh and  i wouldnt post on here if it were a joke.
thankyou all
Is there a moth ball rehab?  I have absolutely no advice I can contribute to this problem.  In fact, I have to be honest and tell you that my lower jaw is still on the ground.  Best wishes!

Trout
You don't need a "moth ball rehab". An addiction is an addiction, no matter of your DOC.

I don't know how it works where you live, but here in the states, they have
indigent" programs for those who cannot afford the treatment. Perhaps you could look into that?

I wish you luck. This is serious and hope you find the help you need. I also hope that we will see you here again.
HOLY  ****!!!  I can't even imagine!  That has got to be some serious, serious bad news. OH MY GOD!  Do what ever you have to, to stop that.  This is so out there,  I need time to absorb this post. Please keep in touch with us.
PLEASE stop somehow. I'm just freaking on this one.
One of the next fads coming over from across the pond is sniffing and even eating mothballs. In France, eating mothballs is the new rage, resulting in hospitalization in some cases. The only active chemical in the moth balls, PDB (paradichlorobenzene), produces a high, and also damage to internal organs. PDB is also found in insect repellants, air fresheners, toilet-bowl and diaper-pail deodorizers, and fungicides.
thank you,,,we really did not know much about it at alll.....
hello, i dont know where else to turn too right now. i told my best friend thinking i could get some support as it has been difficult the last 2 weeks. and she wont talk to me at all. i have started again.
i feel so alone and so depressed. nothing matters at all.
how do you guys do it? Any advice right now would be so great?  and i was thinking of telling my boyfriend but now i am too scared.
"how do you guys do it?"  Honestly, one day at a time.  and when that is too much, one moment at a time...  It is almost 2am in idaho, and right this moment I am living one post at a time.  I found something I like to do, it keeps my mind off my OWN hell and allows me the freedom to do something that i love (writing).  I am sorry that you relapsed.  Have you done research into the withdrawal effects of mothballs?  One post I recall stated "knowledge is power" . How true... the more I am learning about my addction, the less I wantto ever pick-up a pill again and the more anxious i am for the w/d's to stop!  The more i read and saw pics on the net about people who died as a result of the same kind of addiction I have the more it "hit" home.  PDB is a very strong and deadly thing.  Don't let it win.  It is simply an evil drug- they all are: simply evil.  glad you are back.
hi moth i know you are having trouble and it ***** to loose your best friend but one day at a time and its ok to cry there are other ways to handle your problems thers no need to rely on addiction you should try writing letters poetry and stories its fun and itll distract you BEST WISHES

-TINY
Yes addiction is a lonely place but the good news is you are reaching out for help GREAT JOB.!!!!! Okay.. breath deep.... and get ready to stop just for today k?? Break it down into minutes if you need too jump on the computer or read a book or write what you are feeling they are feelings but you can get thought them,,I found to get off my drug of choice that i had to change my routine and habits,For instance if you feel like using and it is after dinnertime change your dinner time,You get the picture? So you are going to retrain your brain to new good habits!!!>

You can do this! I know from experience cause I have done it. You are worth it and I am here for support for you okay. All the best to you and remember God doesn't make junk.
i have tried just about any drug there is and tried huffing just bout everything but never heard of eating moyh balls, i got a bad joke about this but this is not the place so i will bite my tounge!!
OMG! I have heard of mothballs being very harmful if breathed for long periods of time. There are warnings on the box. I never knew they were used to get high..PLEASE seek help. God Bless You..
The original post is over 2 years old, hopefully this person has gotten the help she needs, but in case he or she is still reading, I wish you well.
I can completely relate...I'm a 24 year old mother of 2 and I have the same addiction...It began when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter (who is now 2 years old). I liked the smell of mothballs, and then I noticed that I also likes the smell of toilet bowl deodorizer which I've learned that they both contain Paradichlorobenzene (PDB). I started off just sniffing them, then I've began chewing them up but not eating them. It's like I can't go into the grocery store without buying them. My mom notices how much I buy them, and she has suspicions of me using them....I don't know how to stop my addiction....
bump
Moth balls boy oo boy...please who ever that has this addiction please stop NOW!!! i'm a young lady who would crush up mothball and put them in heater to get the full effect of the scent untill I notice it had became a part of my everyday life for about 4 years...I would literly have withdrawls if I missed a urge to sniff them till I started buying tiolet bowl deordorizers and grinding them together which used create this unbareable scent that I couldn't live without untill I notice I always felt tierd and I couldn't stand without having faint spells...Well with that that still couldn't stop me I continued to for fill my addiction and abuse the used of this drug until I started to lose the feelings in my hands and feet...I was being diagonsed with nerve diease which is cause from the posioning to my body from the moth balls...once I learned of that I quit that very sameday... I flushed all my moth balls and never stopped to buy a next page again... people with addiction don't know that harm that comes with this.. althought its a scent that we all love...u gotta ask yourself is it really worth it..oh yeah I forgot to mention after a while of smelling them they slowly shut down your system causing liver failure...it's been 5 months since I've touch a moth ball and I love myself and my life toooo much to turn back and abuse moth balls again...please get hel before it tooo late...MOTHBALLS DO KILL YOU!

I also suffer from servere anemia and like you I sniff moth balls and toliet bowl deoderizers almost 24 hour a day. It is a horrible addiction and I also don't know where to turn for help. I also consume lots of ice and cornstarch. So much so, that I don't know when the last time I ate a good healthy meal
Substance abuse is abuse.  An addiction is just that.  It doesn't matter what you are addicted to.  Any addiction can kill you.

Please get help with this.  People here can point you in the right direction, and medhelp can inform you, but you are going to have to take the steps to get help.  This will kill you if you aren't careful.
wow... I really thought I was a weird case concerning my addiction to moth balls... I am glad to find a site that offers help. I started jus smelling them, then putting them in my pillows, then crushing them n sniffin/snorting n then I finally excalated to chewing them... I enjoy the bitter taste in my mouth n crave it often throughout the day so much so I wld actually carry one or more with me in case I needed a "fix". I need help...
welcome, mothball....:)

don't feel weird...an addiction is an addiction even if yours is not very common ... and the way is to stop it sooner than later so if you need help, stay here, pls....maybe you can start a thread?

we will support you as much as we can, sure :)

could you go to a therapist and start working on it ? we need making life changes and  one  is that we must address  our personal problems in order to stay clean after stopping
I know what you're going through I started sniffing it when I was around 7 years old. I always loved the smell and would dig up the cupboards and wardrobes to smell it. I stopped for several years then started back again as an adult. The past couple of years I have crushed it, snorted it and chewed it.
It doesn't get me high but I've always loved the smell. I  am also severely anaemic but I never thought this could be the cause. I stopped myself from having any mothballs for 2 weeks but weakened last week and got a pack. But I've only aloud myself 2 for the week which for me is unbelieveable. If I can do it you can do it. It's hard and yes you will think of every moment of the day (especially after food for some reason), but the gaps between craving gets longer which is why I was so mad with myself for starting it up again.
You have to try and take that leap...
Hello moth at first i thought i was really weird cuz i too sniff and inhale mothball  fumes not to get high i love the smell of certain chemical smells white out is one lemon pledge and glu so on and so on. i dropped those things when one day my grand mother bought a box of moth balls now iv'e been sniffing for a year and a half now i don't know how to stop that is why i am here. I truly wish you and the others like us the best and hope you get over you addictions soon.
HI :)

have you try some therapy ? i think it could help you to go for the roots of your behaviour...as it is helping with my addiction issues...

wish you the best, sniffingballs
Hi Sniffinballs and welcome to the forum.

I would have to say that your drugs of choice (mothalls AND other solvents) are probably amongst the most dangerous ones of all.

You probably know that mothballs come in two types. One contains camphor and one contains paradichlorobenzene. Here in the UK, camphor is now a schedule one poison, because of the number of people it has killed. p-DCB isn't much better, and causes liver cell death, amongst many other effects. These are poisons designed to kill moths, not just deter them, and if they can kill moths.....

Strictly speaking it isn't an addiction, in that it is not associated with a withdrawal syndrome. It can however create a strong psychological dependency with cravings.

You do need to strongly consider quitting all solvents, before the damage is done.

You will need support to this. Ideally your family doctor is best placed to help you, but if you can't face that, these's loads of encouragement and support available right here on the list.

Take care.
Found this on line ...Some teenagers are using mothballs to get high, a trend that may be underreported, researchers say.

Reuters reported July 27 that users place mothballs, which contain paradichlorobenzene, in a bag and inhale from it for about 10 minutes. Some users also chew mothballs. The term "bagging" has been used to describe the habit.

Mental impairment, loss of coordination, and scaly skin may be symptoms of mothball abuse. Paradichlorobenzene, also found in air fresheners and insect repellents, can cause anemia and liver and kidney failure.

One French teen found sniffing mothball fumes took six months to recover; a twin sister took three months. Researchers noted that only three such cases have been reported but said the habit may be more widespread.  Wow !  Jimmy
Sadly this is no longer by any means a rare problem.

It occurs in all age groups, not just teenagers, and in all countries.

There have been 4 requests for help on this list alone.

It has killed a number of people.
Wow!! I am in shock at what I am reading bc I used to do this.  I remember when I was a kid, my Mom had moth balls in the house... and I used to LOVE the way they smelled... so much that my mouth would water... I would open the box and sniff them...  chip small pieces off... chew it and spit them out. I don't do this anymore, bc i don't have moth balls in my house, and after reading that it is a true addiction, I won't buy them.  I have an obsession with smells and I smell everything.  I love the smells of lemon pledge, bleach, cleaning products, lemons in general, gas, glue, markers, anything lemon flavored, candles, detergent, Sporicidin soap is one of my favs... I just love the way certain things smell so much that I sorta wanna eat them lol... not that I do..but it's a thought that crosses my mind.  I just LOVE smells.  I never realized this was a true issue for people and thought I was just a strange child and alone in this.  I just told my husband that I used to do the moth ball thing, and he is the 1st  person I ever told.  He looked at me like I had 5 heads LOL.
I was hospitalized with anemia from my love of sniffing mothballs. It was for me also a childhood memory thing and as an adult I sought them out, the napthalene ones were my favorite.

My red cell blood count was so low that I needed 6 transfusions of blood to stabilize my system. They doctors could not figure out what was wrong, but I knew, and was to embarrased to say.

They smell wonderful, but don't do it!
hey moth yur not alone. im also absolutly addicted to eating mothballs. i dunno i think its the smell and taste that im so drawn and attracted to. no one knows this and i also have anemia but its not as severe. i always wonder y nothing happens to me after sooo much ingestion..im sure some kinda damage must be happening inside me but im not aware of it. i hope one day i can stop but seeing how i crave for it so badly i dunno how thats gonna happen. i guess im gonna be at it till something really bad happens. =( i know this is crazy and that i need serious help but i dunno where to go and its also very embarrassing..
I am STUNNED.  I really thought I'd heard of most things!!!!  Here is how SICK I am!  Now, I'm wondering how I missed it!  

Well, stay strong. It's true. An addiction is an addiction.  I read just now, in several posts, this can kill you.  Dead is dead. Doesn't matter "what" made you so.

Stay strong!!!  Please don't give up!  Thanks for bringing your problem here. This is a wonderful site and the people truly care. I've had actual PROOF of that, for sure!!!

God bless!
I have been sniffing toilet bowl cleaner for a few years now.. I keep it in a small galdware bowl and eat ice while I sniff it. Im not sure, but i dont feel a high, Im just so obsessed with the smell. I t give me the urge to eat it so insted i eat ice while i sniff it. On an avereage i eat about 15-20 cups of ice a day and i HAVE sniff the toilet bowl cleaner. I know i probably should stop but idk how
Rozay,

What you are doing is very dangerous, and I don't know that anyone here can relate or help you. You need to speak with professionals regarding this and I would start with your doctor. You are going to have to get honest with someone and that would be a great place to start. I hope it all works out for you and I wish you the best.
I am also a mothball addict. I chew up mothballs on a daily basis. I figured as long as I don't swallow them I would be fine. I have been doing this for 11yrs. I also have anemia and that is why we do it. I found out its actually called Pica. Its from being extremely anemic. I have gotten much better with controlling my cravings though.
I'm glad I found this forum. I have been searching for answers.  I love the smell of moth crystals gas and lemon pledge and the toilet bowl deoderizers that are crystal like and on bendable metal wire. The crystals take priority.  I was sniffing occasionally now I sniff 1/2 hrs at a time often. I can't Stop. I'm anemic n dialysis.    
I also loved moth crystals smell as a child and got this uncontrollable urge as an adult to seek them out again. Now I can't put them down. I keep them by my bed. I love the smell and the slight nose burn. Omg what's wrong with me? They r a comfort after stressful days. I can't find the toilet deodorizer anymore ...  sad..... need help. Can't stop!!!  Smells sooooo goooood!!!!!
This amazes me. I have a pain pill addiction an the reason I frequent this forum. Moth balls?  Really?  Is it purely the smell u guys like or doesn't literally get u high somehow??  I agree with previous posters.....an addiction is addictiom nonetheless...but  just curious as to the details of this one?  Good luck and god bless u all :)
I have never spoken of this before. Just love the scent.  I don't get any "high" but the smell just is irresistible.
I avoid them like the plague, but I love the smell of gasoline and rubber cement.  Moth balls..hmmm..maybe!  My brain never thought to do anything, but avoid as I knew I liked the smell WAY too much.  
The smell of moth balls makes me cringe.  Do people really eat these?  I am just curious about this?
read the thread..really eye opening!
pica deficiency of iron. please look it up...the lower your iron the worst these symptoms are. In my case i can eat a 5 pound bag of Brach's mints in less than a week if you let me. Please have  your iron count checked. From what i was told my count is 8.0. the number 7.0 and below the doctors are looking at a transfusion. You arent producing the red blood cells which is assisting with tiredness and the lightheaded/passing out.
No it does not sound stupid I myself had an addiction to moth balls and during two of my pregnancy I had to sniff them all try he time I also am anemic....I've spoken to my Dr. And he said in anemic people the body lacks something which makes us CrAve certain things....
I am totally addicted to the scent of mothballs.  It's not all over the house as I have a cat. It would be if not for the kitty. I smell them in a sock and keep them sealed.  I can't stop.
Don't feel a shame there are many who do the same thing. I work in a D/A center and have a lady who huff them. She like the smell there are many strange addictions out here never feel like you are a lone
I too found myself being addicted to moth balls since i was a child, now im 21. Im here trying to break myself out of the habit, i use to put them in a sock just to get the high addictive fragrance, from there it wasn't enough i started to chew them up; till i just start eating them. Lately i started reading up about it and how harmful and fetal it can be to the body, i just had to make a change. I've found myself going without it for the 5 months the longest but whenever i get stress the urges over power me and i start again. I guess whenever we are addicted to something it takes time to stop. I know i have the will power and will overcome it soon. And to all of u who are with the same addiction, u just have to be strong and have the determination to STOP. If i've been off it for 5 months i know i have the will to stop my addiction FOREVER.
This is all true what you are reading, but aswell as making you very anemic, this causes not enough oxygen to be delivered to you organs as there isnt enough red blood cells to carry the oxygen to them.  Ultimately this puts more pressure on your heart so your hear begins to work alot harder to pump more blood around your body.  This then causes your heart muscle to become stretched and became enlarged.  This is known as heart failure where the heart doesnt pump blood around the body effectivley.  This will cause shortness of breath, tiredness, water retention(in the form of ankle swelling and even stomach swelling) and if left untreated will cause heart attack or stroke.  Please get some help before it becomes too late my friends, i cant stress how much you are toying with you life, good luck
You are not alone. I did this for maybe 3years until I ended up sick in the hospital... I had slurred speech, rash, diarrhea, headaches, inability to walk without help, 25lb weight lost and never knew why. I broke the habit but still have the urge. I started sniffing but it lead to eating the bowl fresh (fresh ones of course)
I pray pray and pray that God delivers me from this. I have times when Im over it and others where I just have too