Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
ms-Contin withdrawals

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

ms-Contin withdrawals

I'm new to this forum and i want to know how long do withdrawals for ms-contin last?
Tags: Addiction
It depends.  How much were you taking?  How long were you taking it for?  Have you been through withdrawals before?  I was prescribed ms contin last year before I went on methadone, but I didn't have to find out how long withdrawals for me would last.  That is a hard question to answer definitively.  It could be as little as one week to as long as a month or more.  If you were taking it for a surgery for a few months at 60mg a day, you could be looking at a week or less.  Oh well, I can't keep on poking here.  Give us some info on yourself.
Morphine withdrawls aren't fun but if you listen to people here it will make them alittle better. I just stopped withdrawing from Oramorph(generic MS contin) It sux but is doable. Keep posting and keep asking questions. I am going back on Oxy contin in the morning and I don't think I can help you because I stopped the withdrawals by using norco 10 so I didn't make it all the way thru the W'D's. Good luck and welcome to our world!
                 Bmac
another shameless advertisment for the little forum i started... :-) i know it is hard to post here, i don't know how i have managed it other than both times i did get to post i was kind of barganing with god/dess,lol~ god/dess, if you let me post i will get honest about "relapsing" but if you DON'T want me to get honest just let the forum not be able tp accept anymore posts!!! for real! and damned if i wasn't able to post a question both times, so i was obligated to post and be honest...

anyhow, as far as oxy's go, there are others here with far more experience than i~ as far as withdrawing from opiates in general go, and they all seem to be basically the same or very, very similar except meth... what mrmichael said is correct, you are looking at at least 5 days to a week or more... for some reason a friend of mine in NA told me once when i was w/ding that day 4 would be the worst and from what i can remember, it was! or maybe it was just the power of suggestion~

ok, here goes my main purpose, this board is like a smorgasboard (if i spelled that wrong forgive me!) and i have a little forum that is more like a brown paper bag lunch. BUT, you can post there all the time, anytime, day or night. but it is new and it is slow right now! so, if you are interested you can email me at: ***@****

peace out ya'll,

amber
You are so friggin cute babe, know tell us like it is !  LOL
Bill
Hon.. i reread my quick post today from the other day regarding Na and it sounded intolerant to me.  I did not intend it to be so!  I apologise...but as usual you are one classy lady and said nuffin!
I remember so well when i was just starting and was told to be careful of each group being so different and to keep going to another until i find one that feels right to me.  And yes, AA is the same as far as recovery goes...just the individual group and whether they are natzis; or have a leader or a few who dominate ( AA and Na are more like a bridgeclub with NO one in charge and absolutely not a cult with one or a few); who the typical people are who attend so far as if you can identify with their strength, hope and experience/ not dominated by a few only who speak on and on.  I am soo grateful that i was told this before i went to find a home group.  Now i have one but attend 5 'different' groups per week cuz i like to get different fellowship and input.
I love ya gal...
Suzie
I have been taking ms-contin 30mg twice a day for almost 3 months. I have been taking it for chronic pancreatitis. I also take about 2 vicodin a day as well. I'm hooked on both. Every time I try to quit, another pancreas attack happens and I'm hooked again. I ran out of ms-contin and my insurance will only fill once a month. They will not fill until the 14th. That means 5 days without. Today has been hard. I have the shakes and my eyes will not stop watering. Is this normal? Thanks for all the answers and kind words.
chadywak
The shakes are normal so is the brainfog. Don't lose it and try to post again and ask for help. There are several people here that know withdrawing and can help you with it. Good Luck! Bmac
Thanks for the advice on the tapering from meth.Am
I going too fast? I am under no pressure to hurry nor do I mind kickin out the few bucks for the meds so if Im going too fast I would GGLLAAAADLY slow down by the advice of an expert. My last jump was from 20 to 15mgs and I knew that was too much but 20mgs was just my hhmm call it comfort zone. I knew I had to jump and it had to hurt and that was that. My future plans were for 2.5 every two wks until I got really low and then maybe go down by the 1mg. Eventhough its rainin outside the suns shinin on me. I am happy to slow my taper.Thanks for the advice,Melissa
Sorry to break in, I have never posted before but have been lerking for a long time and have a question. My b/f has been clean from oxys for about 4 months now and he feels like he is having secondary withdrawls. He has gone through so many withdrawls before and this has never happened but then again he never stayed clean this long either. Has anyone ever gone through this? Thank you so much for any help you can give.
Man, all these people coming out of the woodwork here this wonderful Sunday afternoon/morning. Glad to see you found us.
Morphine, oxy all this **** can cause alot of mental and physical problems no matter how long or if it's out of your system. I have been thru several withdrawals lately and I am going to be glad when I am OK again. Whether you need to get over it or whether you need help in doing that you came to the right place. I wish some of my fellow 'timers' had PC's at home because the weekends get slow around here and all you can do is hang on until tonight and in the morning. Thomas has a recipe on here and it will help once you start w/d ing or have been over them for a while. It works. MrM can help you with the withdrawing **** believe me and MethDude knows being straight again, so guys hang tight and if you wanna talk I am on here 24/7, I have an addiction with this place. Bmac
welcome to the fourm,

the worst of the with drawls( flu like symptoms last about 5 days, during this time sleep is hard to come by,depression set in, totol loss of most of your energy,runny nose, restless leg and body at night  makes ya toss an turn all night, on fun at all.

i don't know if you know about thomas's recipe of vitamine s but it helps a lot , it did for me and other here.

receipe.
L-tyrosine 1000 mgs 4 a day in morning week 1 , 2 a day weeks after.
b-6 100 mgs 2 a day
vitamines a- c and e.
calsium magnisum
imodium (immodium) for the runs( very important.
hot baths at night  for the leg and body aches.ans cramps.
a strong multi vitamine
a stromg multi minaril supplement
patasium or bannas for restless legs and body.
if you can something for sleep for week 1 valume or xanax
ween off them as the week progress's
5htp for depression 1 a day if needed
the 5htp also helps with sleep 3 or 4 at night.
you can get thenm at a vitamine store.
drink lots of liquids water, or gatoraid for lost electrolites.
after week 1 sleep and weakness / lack of energy are a big problem, try to start to exersize , the more the better to bet the natrawl endorphines up and running after the 1st month you start to feel better as each day pass's.

keep posting and stay in touch with addicts who are clean. you can get some emails here if you need them, just ask. don't be suprized if you cry at the drop of a hat , your feelings start rushing back into your life. and one day you will feel joy and it is a great feeling and worth  all this ******** ya have to go through .

peace hippy
I hope I just misunderstood this: 'keep posting and stay in touch with addicts who are clean'.I am not clean and never will be. Is there something I said here or not. Anyway Peace Bro! Bill
hey bill
i was just thinking that someone like youself in your situation would really be able to help some in the same situation as yours. someone who has to take meds. just as someone who is trying to stay totaly clean could relate a tad better  with some one in the same situation.

but after thinking about what you said , we can all help each other  no matter what the situation. you have helped me and encouraged me as has mr michael and thomas.

so waht i said was not meant to be written in stone. as a matter of fact i take it back , i should of thought about it more before i wrote it that way, i take it back.

chadywac stay in touch with the people here at the fourm.

sorry about that bill i ment no offense. you are right  we need to set aside our differences including wether we are clean or have to take pain meds we are all in the same boat.

peace !!!!hippy
Hi, Chady. Welcome to this forum. You will receive vast support. Pharmacies can fill scripts early. I think?? they can refill after 22 days (even tho' pharmacies say it must be 27-28 days.) That is "with" insurance. Some fill it earlier w/o the insurance. When I had an ongoing perscription for pain med, I paid $7.00 for 90 VikeES, using insurance. The same script cost $60 when I filled it early, w/o insurance. One time the pharmacy asked for a doctor's approval for an early refill. Another time they asked for a (new) "paper" script from the doctor. Other times they simply charged me the full $60 (since I was filling the script too soon). It is an immense relief, since quitting, to not worry about early refills, or doctors. I still have cravings. I s'pose I always will. I quit cigarettes about 6 years ago and sometimes crave a smoke. The difference between pills and cigs, for me, is that I have been able to smoke socially (about 2 cigarettes a year) since quitting. It is my belief that I can never use a pill recreationally. It sounds like you, chady, need pills for pain which is why I mentioned filling a script early ('off' insurance) by paying full price. Hope things go well. Keeping busy helps me when cravings hit.
`rwc`
Slow down.  Go to the 1mg increment.
I agree.  Have you tried to ask your pharmacist to fill it?  Pancreatitus (pancreatitis) is nasty.  What about your doc?  Can he call in something?  All I have to say is remember this.  Maybe it will be good to keep you from running out early again.  It sounds like you need to be on these puppies.
I knew that is what you meant, I was hoping that anyway. I understand now and you are right. I guees I have come to that place in my life I enjoy helping others more than worrying over my problems. My problems seem so small compaired to others here so I understand my brother and peace to you    Bill
I just wanted to say thank you to all who have put up with me these past few weeks. I have been a pain in the ass but hey what's so unusual about that? Anyway, I appreciate the support and it doesn't go unnoticed so thanks guys!I am finally going to bed and I am sure to pass out so I bid Ugood night, sweet dreams!        Bmac
Someone asked question about their b/f who was having secondary withdrawal at 4 mo clean.  I was told in Rehab that post acute withdrawal can peak at about 3 to 6 mo clean.  Yucko huh!
Peace... this too will pass...
Suzie
so many people are posting!! that is SO cool. just chiming in on the secondary withdrawls... yes, your b/f is probably having them at 4 months, they shouldn't be as bad or last as long though!

and pancreatitis, just got over my first bout with that in jan of this year... i was in the hospital for three weeks and was on IV dilaudid and then large amounts of percs... i haven't had an attack since then but when i left the hospital i started to get some mild to moderate withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, after just three weeks! so unfair!! but i went to my doc and he gave me some darvocet and i tapered on the darvocet and was fine after that... sorry to hear that you are having chronic attacks, didn't know it was possible to have attacks everytime you start to discontinue the meds... that has to suck! email me if you want to chat about our pancreasis! ***@****

{{{HUGS}}} suzie!

peace,

amber
Good morning,

I haven't posted here in a few weeks, so I don't think I have met you yet.  I have been off methadone for 2 months now after being on for more than 15 years.  The slower you go, the better. Like MR.M said 1 mg. decreases would make sense. After I got to 15 mg. I went 1 mg. every other week and I was fine until 7mgs. Then I hit a wall, and I had to hold for a few weeks because I started getting uncomforatable. Then when I was adjusted to the dose I started back tapering 1 mg. every other week again. Went right down to zero after that.  The last 2 mgs. I started taking small doses of temgesic (buph) until I was off completely. Because I have chronic pain, and I was still miserable after being off the meth a month later I decided to try the subutex (buph) 2mg. pills. The doctor has me on 2-4 2mg. pills a day. Most days I take 3 pills. That keeps me pretty comfortable. Just my arthritis flare-ups which my other doctor has now put me on prednesone for awhile.  I don't know how long you were on the meth or on what dose, but I do know that it is always best (from my experience) to go very slow.  Whats the rush? You'll get there sooner or later.  I wish you well with this detox and hope everything turns out ok for you.

Sharon
how does one get pancreatitis anyway? I thought It was due to heavy drinking am I right? Can pill users get it? thanks guys -badd
I have had on and off bouts with pancreatitis for the past 3 years. It is a symptom of Cystic Fibrosis, which I was diagnosed at birth. I was also a heavy drinker which is also a cause of pancreatitis. i quit the drinking with ease, but find the pain meds far more difficult. I also love the meds recreationaly. I need them for pain bt also love them. Kinda catch 22 huh? my doc put me on Vikes for the acute attacks and ms-contin for preventing attacks. I havent had any attacks since being on the morphine. I ran out of morphine and I'm now having a few w/ds. I appreciate all you guys help. It has been a rough couple of days, but you guys made it easier. Thanks.
chadywak
Pills also can cause inflammation of the pancreas. It is sometimes like fighting fire with fire. The same pills that ease the pain can cause it as well.
i got my pancreatitis from heavy drinking, not too smart with hep C...

amber
I see what you mean by the pills that ease pain can cause it.  If one has an illeus or a bowel obstruction and they take pain meds, it might feel better for a while, but it will end up being even worse in the long run.  I got an illeus from taking too much Tussionex one time.  It basically stopped me right up.  I couldn't believe the pain and nausea!  The doc wouldn't give me anything for it either.  He said it would only make me worse.  It was the narcotics that caused it in the first place.  Things wouldn't start moving down there with any more narcs being put into my body.  That all happened when I was opioid naive.  You know, the days when I could take a few tblsp. of tussionex and get a ripping buzz.
Thank you for your advice as I think I will follow it.
A question though if you dont mind. Through my travels with opiate wds my very first symptom of wds was always aching calves. My boyfriend and I were users together and he could not believe how fast my wd symtoms (symptoms) would occur after our last dose of whatever. I have been at 15mgs of meth for 2 wks. The first week my legs hurt like hell. The second week was much better so I assumed I was adjusting. Very recently I have been experiencing severe depression which I saw a dr.for 4 days ago. He diagnosed me with anxiety/depression and gave me paxil and xanax which I have not yet decided to take. I went to the medhelp depression forum only to find many people suffering from depression experience cramping specifically in the legs. In the last two days my legs have hurt like the very first days of withdrawl (withdrawal) and I havent moved my dose in weeks. Could the depression be causing the cramping. If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing a reply would be great. My legs are driving me crazy. Thank you
Hi Melissa,
Sorry to hear about your aching legs and depression. From my own space, I am also eager to learn about handling withdrawals from methadone - but, (and thanks for the thanks earlier) I just want to repeat what I said and what others have said - go slowly!! At the clinic if people are trying to get off and they go too fast and the withdrawals are so severe, they go back up a little and start going down again slowly - more slowly. As I said, during the last 20 mg, people may go down in 1 mg increments every FEW weeks. Many people get impatient and just want to get it over with and "jump off" too early. Just take it like your vitamin in the morning and forget about it, I mean, don't obsess about it. Regarding withdrawal symptoms, all I know about them is they all seem to go together - all the body aches, runny nose, watering eyes, shakes, chills, flashes, diarreah (diarrhea) AND depression. I'm not sure I'd say that one withdrawal symptom causes another; I think they just all come together in whatever combination is unique to you.
Good LUCK and prayers
Huiler
Anne,

I know this is going to sound unbelievable but for the last few wks. I've wanted to write you a post as I've been following your's.  I was cruisin' here but that expillNot.ha, or GoatButt.yip was driving me nuts & everytime I read threads with his multitudinous posts, I was a'feard of what might write.

I finally calmed down to write Cindy about him here & at DA & about another matter.  Finally, I HAD TO tell him it was obvious he had an uber-small weenie & some other untoward things & praise be da lord - he disappeared early the next morning!!!!!  

I wanted to tell you before how inspired I was by your posts.  I remember how many x you quit, sometimes getting farther than other x.  This time your attitude was/is still amazing & what you have accomplished is incredible.

OK, so you fell off the pill bottle for 2 days, being the 1st person on this august brd who has, even among the successful.  Really, I'd pay that no matter at all!  LOL.

Peazy is so right in needing a game plan.  I am unaware of the nature of your pain but I've managed to get a system in place for my own as have many others.  But when in desperate pain you're not thinking straight & if you know of only 1 way to resolve it, it's far too easy to reach back for that which works, despite the consequences.  I actually have a Ph.D in this field of usage.

Honey, it's time to pull up your pantyhose, which is sounds like you already have.  You know chin up, **** out & onward I go.  Also, to the tune of "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta my Hair" you can write you lyrics, like, "I'm Gonna Kick Those Pills Right Outta My Life."  Make that, or another re-written tune your theme song.  It should be rather light-hearted so you get a wee giggle out of it as this is not the time to be morose, be uplifting, empowering & one you can sing in the car.  I sing to tunes all the time & so do many ppl so what the hell.  If it makes you uncomfortable, put some earplugs in so they think you're listening to a song off a CD.  Although even when the music is blaring, they do look at me rather strangely.  Ah, Canadians!  They have such a lack of a sense of humor they didn't even send troops to Iraq!  

Anne, you're still my inspiration, maybe even moreso because you dropped the ball, were honest about it & have chosen to go onward ho.

You take care & you GO GIRL!!!!

Luv,
Judes
It maybe that you are particularly experiencing the flu-like w/d aches and pains in your legs mostly.  I myself had terrible RLS and still do at times after 100 days.   But i had it before the opiates too...sooo...we'll see.
The poster above that said full speed ahead was so correct and also..use that Thomas recipe it helps tremendously with the w/d symptoms.  In recovery, for me, to just take action (just do it as nike says), in suggested ways and stop my over analyzing b s in my sick messed up mind, was the best advice i can get and still to this day it applies.  Wut helped me most then was hot baths and to move *(believe me i did not want or desire to) ... take walks.. i went up and down my stairs.  That felt so good to my rls legs.   Apparently getting off the couch or bed to move actually makes our bodies to burn that **** up quicker and clean us out.  Also drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.
Peace to your challengin journey~!
Suzie
Thanks once again for your words of encouragement as it helps so much on my road to opiate recovery. However I feel as if my depression has finally gotten the best of me and have some important decisions to make. Best of luck in all you do,Melissa
I keep rereading your post to make sure I understand what you are saying. First off, you will get the support you need from the beautiful people at this forum. Dont worry about that. The part about your post that confuses me is about your boyfriend. The hiding the keys money etc. It sounds as if he is not ready. I too quit my DOC with my significant other only to find after the hardest part was over he was no longer interestd in being clean. We supported each other for months and then I was left to fight the battle by myself. I am continuing my path but it has been much harder without his support. I guess my question is does he want to quit and be there for you when you are weak? If you are trying to make him quit his attempt will most likely be unsuccessful as every person must want to be clean for themselves. My biggest concern is that he will lead you to be unsuccessful too. Please forgive me if I have misunderstood your post,but if you want to be clean you will need as much support as you can get, not someone begging for some cash to get a fix. Please reply as I think I have been in your position? Yours truely,Melissa
Your post really got me thinking. My RLS may very well be returning to the fact that I have refused to move or leave the house or even take a shower. Could it be possible I am making my depression worse by laying here insead of saying **** it and getting my ass up? No doubt I have no desire to move. This afternoon I took a nap hoping my heart would just stop. I need to quit obsessing and start moving. Im letting my mind make me crazy. Truly suz, you could have just saved a persons life. Thank you so much. Melissa
Chezz, I agree about the posts and the recent changes of the forum.  What's up with that?  I won't go there though, I guess opening cans of worms isn't such a great idea although I'd love to just let one or two worms out. ;)

I did want to express some concerns - I'm sorry I haven't read through the entire thread but have been experiencing severe pain in my right side (upper).  I know I need to go to the doctor, but am afraid of the diagnosis.  My rational mind says one thing, my irrational side says another.  But I'll be going probably some time this week and they'll run the standard tests.  I'll also have to tell them what's been happening with my opiate detox and benzo usage.  I have to say that I had 1 refill left of hydro and I got another refill.  I'm getting so tired of this rollercoaster ride, I don't even think it's fun anymore - it's just monotonous and scary at the same time.  I am not taking a lot of hydro, but I'm going to tell my doctor so he can put me on Clonodine and I can get medical help instead of doing this on my own.  

I really do keep everyone here in my thoughts and think about y'all quite a bit, even though I only know you via the computer.  I can honestly say that I haven't met a more caring bunch of people before.  

I'm experiencing some withdrawal from the benzo's, and that's a VERY scary thing, since I'm just slowly tapeirng.  I've been getting some major anxiety symptoms, and heart palps, and I want to get this stuff out of my life, but to be honest, I will need some in-depth counseling to get to the mindset I need to be at to get off of the hydro.  I feel so sure this will be the last time, and then I experience a pain and feel justified in getting a refill.  Now if I needed it TRULY for pain, I wouldn't have to justify it, because I would be using it as it was intended to be used, but I know that the reasons are twofold and that I can take an Advil to ease the pain.  

I wanted to say that I can't get into my e-mail I posted on the other thread (forgot the password - geesh), so my new e-mail is ***@**** if anyone wants to contact me (since the new 'rules' have been implemented and it's hard to find a space to post).  

Bill, Peaz, Thomas, Erika (I don't want to leave anyone out, but know that ALL of you who I've spoken with are in my thoughts, and my thoughts are rambling right now in so I can't think quite straightm so I'm not remembering names as I should - it's the benzo fog I guess).  I will say that I ordered some exercise tapes, have been doing that every day (new Pilates and Lotte Berk - these are fantastic and really relaxing), eating healthy, drinking LOTS of water, so I'm trying to do this right - it's just the damn hydro.  It gets ahold of me and I know I have the rationale to say no, but the lethargy is just overwhelming (no excuse, just my reason).   I'll be checking back soon...  

Alexis
You know the story don't ya hun...I've, been there done that,,It's 3 times as hard when theres two of you! Per a conversation today that I had with someone that I really love, you have to get rid, not abandon, those people that you think may be your friends, that bring it into your home. As you can see, you and your b/f health is starting to suffer! There are many people here that would love to help support you two. It's tough, as you know but, never give up! Keep posting, there are many ways for you two to quit or improve your lifestyle.......Love hugs friends  afriend//////
Ok...now I'm really scared.  I've been reading the message threads here and I had absolutely no idea this would/could happen!  I'm 42 and have been OxyContin, Percocet, Vicodin, Clonazepam, Prednisone, Naproxin and Piroxicam for over a year now. The Docs just seem to keep dishing out whatever, whenever.  I've never been addicted to anything, but am quite sure that I am now.  I even called my doctor last week and said that I had run out of Vicodin and was feeling really anxious and edgy...like a caged animal.  I asked her if I was going through withdrawl (withdrawal) and she said "naaa".  I told her that I really wanted to get off of everything, because the pain would be better than an addiction to me (I have what they THINK to be arthritis).  She said that she would call in a prescription for me.  I went to pick it up...and sure enough....60 more vicodin!

I want off all of this, but am so afraid now that I'm going to go through hell to get there.

Right now I'm taking 4 Vicodin a day/ 2 Prednisone a day (20ml)/ 1 Clonazepam a day, plus 3 other blood pressure pills.

As I being stupid?  Will I go through what I'm reading here when I go off all of this ****?  Should I just STOP?  

Someone please give me something here...I won't be able to even sleep tonight!

Nana
Sounds to me that you are very aware of your siuation and thats a good sign.I cant really tell by your post but it sounds like you take your meds as prescibed. Do you take more for a euphoric feeling? You have legit pain that requires medication right?If you want to quit you should speak with your doc. It suprises me that she doubted it was physical withdrawl (withdrawal) when you called to tell her you were out. As I said it was hard to tell by your post if you are psychologically addicted to your meds but if not that will be a huge step in helping you quit. After a year of narcotics you will probably have physical withdrawl (withdrawal) but it doesnt have to be a living hell. Good drs. will give you a tapering plan to follow and other meds to help with discomfort. Dont panic. Everyone here will help with any specific questions you have. You came to the right place. Keep posting. Doner
Bill,
I can help you with your addiction to boards.
As with all other "pleasure center drugs", you must ween off the source over an extended period of time.
And without further ado, I offer the "Methman's Recipe" for Board addiction.

*** METHMAN'S RECIPE FOR BOARD ADDICTS ***

Week1: Begin reading through the Martha Stewart Fan Club board.
Spend no less than 1 hour but no more that 3 hours reading her accolades.  Post 1XBID.

Week2: Alternate to the Sammy Sosa "Trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame" board.
Spend no less than 1 hour, no more than 3 hours.  Post 3XBID.

Week3: Return to the Martha Stewart Fan Club board.  Read the cut/paste article from Business Weekly on how she was just incarcerated.
Sit in front of the monitor getting in touch with your feelings.  Are they misplaced?  Or are they "happy, joyeous and free" feelings like the rest of the world?

Day 2 of Week 3:  Return to the Martha Steward Fan Club Page and read the cut/paste from Better Homes and Gardens on how she is now somebody's *****.

Week 4:  Repeat Week 3, but on Sammy Sosa's "I GOT CORKED!" thread. Read the rantings of a cheater.  Stop and just stare at the monitor while you get in touch with your inner child.
Does this inner child understand what Sammy did?  Does this inner child own any Sammy Sosa memorabilia?  What does this inner child feel like doing to all that loser **** now?

On the 5th week, you will be cured.
I hope that this is of some help to those of you who have become addicted/dependent upon message boards.  You too can live a happier life if you follow these scientific steps to freedom!

Please feel free to post this in conjuntion with the "Thomas Recipe".  It may not do much for the person needing it but it'll damn sure give me a little more credability!
Peace,
Methman
Thank you for responding so quickly.  

I want to be totally honest.  I don't think I was totally upfront in my first post.

I started out using narcotics a year ago because of pain, true honest pain.  As I said, they THINK I have arthritis, but now that I'm on Prednisone the pain is almost gone.  However, the very THOUGHT of not taking Vicodin puts me into a panic.  Whenever I need to get things done and be productive (I'm a mom), I pop a pill.  

I'm a really good mother and keep everything in order at home, but not without the pills.  They get me up in the morning, they get my laundry done, they vacuum the floors and cook our meals.  They keep me upbeat and active with my little girl and I can't even imagine how I would have the energy to do all that needs to be done in a day without them.

I feel so ashamed of myself...and I've never told anyone this before. I started down the road of honesty with my doctor last week when I asked her if I was addicted...but she really blew it all off and in a way made me feel that everything was 'ok' and justified.

But when I see what people are going through here...man.  I have a problem.  I'm afraid that I won't be the good, fun, energetic mom/friend etc. that I am now...without the pills.

I'm sitting here crying my eyes out just typing this.  I am just so ashamed of being so weak.  I have so much to be thankful for and to love in life...and I choose to see it all through these damned pills rather than just enjoying the beauty that there naturally.

I know I'm going to feel differently tomorrow.  I'll get up and think about all that has to be done and all that I need to accomplish...and I'll toss down a Vicodin and two Prednisone with a cup of coffee before I even get my first yawn out.

I can't admit this to anyone I know...I can't.  My family would be devestated.  They all rely on me to be the sensible, responsible one.  What a let-down I am to everyone.

Bla, Bla, Bla.  Enough of the Nana Pity Party.

Sheesh...I go through moments of tears and then moments of such intense anger!  AT MYSELF!

Thank you for letting me get some of this off my chest.
you can dump here any time ,
does your doctor know everything that you are going through.
also most addicts  are highly intelagent.
peace!!!!!!!!!hippy
Why are you beating yourself up here? Jesus,knows we all fall way short. We all here have been thru this I am still hurting so I'll just take another one syndrome. It isn't new. Just hang with us and learn how to cope. There are many people here that care so 'vent on'!      Bmac
Mornin...
Methman you crack me up!  Dayum if i hung out on a Martha's board i think suzieneedshelp would be either in a straight jacket or suzieneedsburial.  
Wut is up with this board??  No new posts of question allowed since 6/8????
Bmac darlin....wussup?  Ya got another addiction to boards none the less.   WEll maybe me too and trouble is i cant get on the net much now living with my parents..so i am so deprived here in TAllahassee.  Wah wah.  Actually that is so fascinating about us with this disease.. how the drugs are just a symptom and we get addicted to so many other things even in recovery...work, sex, power, self pity, food, internet, whatever!!!!  That really proves to me that i need to change how i live my life and more important how i think!
Love you 2 men...(hmmm... am i addicted to men!?...ya think?)
winks..Suzie
Relax.Christ I thought I was having some panic attacks. First of all those little pills you pop dont make you who you are.They dont do the laundry they dont do the shopping and they certainly dont make you a mother.YOU DO.And still after reading your second post am not quite sure what and how much of it you are taking. You mentioned A(as in one) vicoden which was the only med you mentioned that I was familiar with. The others mentioned sounded important for actual medical problems.If you are taking a few vicoden a day and feel you are going to have a problem you caught it just in time. Coming off a few a day will be a breeze.Try coming off 30 a day.You can taper for a few days and be just fine. I am surprised that your dr. doesnt show any concern if are mentioning that you feel like that you may have a problem with narcotics.However I had a dr. like that once too. Just remember you make the things in your life happen not the pills. They are tricky buggers,they kid you into thinking you need them to be normal. Not so.You were fine without them in your life before as you will be fine when they are gone. Keep posting. take care,Done
This is a multi-purpose post!!LOL
  Suzie---Thanx for askin' about me---I am doin' quite well in my sobriety. Have some heavy-duty **** goin'  on w/ my marriage but I am workin' on it.  Now that 'm out of the fog, things are mighty scary!!!LOL   While I am not an AA fan (I'm sure you've picked up on that!)  it seems to be working for you and that's what counts. Keep up the good work!!

Doner--I replied to you down below about your partner staying on meth so as not to tempt you.  My reply was nothing profound but please know I gave it some thought and  wanted to help.  Then, of cours, the thread was closed so that's why I wasn't sure if you saw it.  I  can't help you about the leg pain/depression correlation, but maybe someone else can.  Anyway--Hope you keep posting and hang in there.

Dancin' ---You  knucklehead you!! Good to hear from you!!  Are you still struttin' your stuff over at DA??  It's good that you pop in here every once in awhile or I'd have to go over there and drag yo ass out......You sound good!!   Stay in touch!

Alexis---I think about you from time-to-time and I trust that you will kept us updated......You  seem to be having a time w/ the benzos, and that  shoulder pain needs to be looked at, so I'm glad you're seeing someone. Let me know what comes of all that.   Sounds like you're getting geared up for when your final hydro RX runs out.....Keep in close touch w/ me and I'll give you all I got....:-)  I'll make a note of your email, if that's okay.....  Thinkin' of you, Sweets--

Hey to Anne, rodewc, passenby (where are YOU??) and lisabet, percs, billy, mrm, methman and EVERYONE!!!  I love you peeps!!
I hope I will be corrected very soon if what I am write here now is wrong. Here is my understanding of Vicodin and similar (recreational) usage. Initially, the Vicodin are exactly as you said, rose-colored glasses. They make the mundane fun, vacations glorious, and give one energy to accomplish minor tasks such as gardening, laundry, or cooking. All of this is done with a glad heart. Soon enough, the perscriptions run short and dosages increase. Then, the addictive behavior kicks in harder and harder and harder. It's no longer fun to do the mundane cooking, chauferring (sp), or cleaning. One becomes happiest when selfishly alone: reading a book, playing the net, listening to music, or being isolated with a favorite solitary activity. After quitting pills, and forcing myself to get off my butt and exercise and do tasks  with others again, slowly my heart began to sing. Now the leaves are greener, the birds are louder, and the smiles are genuine. The knees still ache, the feet still throb (but Hell! this is a natural part of aging, isn't it?), and tho' I hate worn adages, they are good ones: "This too shall pass." "Half measures availed us nothing." Those sayings run through me when I start "stinking thinking," such as: "withdrawal is only 5 days," or "one pill won't hurt; I can use responsibly," and the worst lie, "I can stop". I am not a writer and ramble as I have in this post. You are in a good place, Nana, if you have recognized a problem early. I refused to see the problem for a long time.

r.wc.
Ok...I'm a little calmer today.  But then again, I've had my vicodin and prednisone...(dammit, I knew I'd shove them down my throat before I even took the time to brush my teeth!).

Donor, I'm taking 4 vikes a day (once in a while 5), two Prednisone, one clonazepam and three different High Blood Pressure pills. I know I don't need the vikes, for sure...I just want them.

hippee, my doctor knows what I'm taking and doesn't seem to be concerned.  I just get a refill whenever I want.  Heck, she's given me Percocet, Oxycontin...what ever my little heart desires.  You asked if I was an intelligent person...well, I've always considered myself to be...until the mess I've gotten myself into with these damn pills!

bmac, thanks.  I will!

All I can say for sure is...when I ran out for one stinking day, I thought my world was coming crashing in on me.  It was a panic like I've never known before!  My legs wouldn't stop, my heart felt (at times) like it was pounding right out of my chest and the thought of getting more consumed my day.

I had a baby 9 months ago (at age 42...surprise, surprise!)  In my last trimester I was so uncomfortable that my OB put me on the perks.  That's when my Blood Pressure skyrocketed as well...thus the HBP pills.  Since then it's been a breeze getting whatever I want.  I just tell them that I'm in pain (which I was before the Prednisone)...and I get handed this beautiful little piece of paper that makes my life easier and everything run smoother.  That easy.

Jeepers--I didn't mean to leave you out----this listing stuff is too dangerous when you get spacey like me----I won't so this again!!  LOL

Christina--I mistakenly said your SHOULDER hurt--I was evidently hallucinating again because when I reread your post that's not what you said at all.....perdon a me, por favor.  

So---no threads available----are we supposed to take our ball  ( I COULD have used the plural.....LOL) and leave in a huff or what?   Are they trying to tell us something here???!!  Is it something we said??
i have been following this thread and your story...

much of the time that i abused pills i did it for the very reasons that you posted... i was better with the kids, cleaning the house was FUN, i would talk to strangers with the utmost ease...

when faced with being out of them i felt as if my life, as i knew it with the false sense of energy and socialability (sp) was over. and it was... until i got that next prescription i was miserable and short tempered...

i have lost jobs, actually entire careers b/c of my addicition to narcotics and whatever else i could find to change the way i felt...

the good news is that you see what is going on... my kids all left me and moved in with different relatives last year after i was in treatment following a suicide attempt... you don't have to let it get that bad...

but you have some serious choices to make. 1. are you willing to go through whatever it takes to get off of the pills...

up until the point that you are able to answer the above question i will just tell you that i understand what you are going through, been there, done that over and over and over...

you will find alot of support on this board whether or not you choose to come off of the pills... and you may choose to stay on them... that is ok too, depends on what you want... and it is a highly personal decision...

ok, the cure is playing "love song" gotta run!

peace,

amber
Hey you--I posted to you WAAAY down below--I almost didn't see it!!  Post up here from now on where we can get a good look!!!    :-)   You're doing great!!  peazy
my mother in law has just been denied her monthly dose for morphine time released and has been out since tuesday , she is starting withdrawls and it is horrible .... anyone know anything i can do to ease her pain and dicomfort?
I hope I can find help on this site.....
I have been taking 160mg., of MS Contin daily..for 3 years for back pain.,....3 30mg in the morning
and 3 30mg in the evenings The last of October I finally had my surgery...
Now it is time to kick them any advice????
first time on site. Was reading until I got to your post. Most pratical; seems good. Have been on 180mg of MScontin and about 6-8 (5mg) percocet per day for about 2 years after aircraft accident. Had hip replacement and do not need them anymore. quiting sounds like its going to  be fun. I am going on a cruise next week and after that I think I am going to isolate myself at my vacation home (maybe even without a vehicle or any meds. I will continue to read posts prior to that.
Oh well, I can see that my fun has just begun!

I have been on the generic version of ms contin for over a yeah due to bi-lateral AVN in my hips.  One hip had collapsed and had went undiagnosed for nearly a year despite many trips to ER.  The collapsed hip has been replaced, but the other one is still painful.  

Problem is, it doesn't seem that the ms contin ever helped to begin with, and every day I go into withdrawals (hot flashes) about an hour before med time.

I am just sick of it, so I decided starting today to get off it.  I take 45mg per 12 hours, so starting this morning I cut it to 30mg per 12 hours.

I found this forum while looking for ideas for relief.  My largest concern is if my high blood pressure will return.  I had high BP before starting the ms contin, and after starting it my BP returned to normal levels, so I can't help but wonder if the high BP (was around 160 over 105) will return.  Regarding the hBP, I had no other physical reasons for it, e.g. high cholesterol, etc..  I am really hoping the hBP was related to the collapsed hip pain.
Well I just found this forum and I am on my fourth day with out any ms contin I have been taking about 500mg all up a day for the past six months which was an increase form the amount I took for about  a year prior I feel like I am going crazy I have the shakes the chills I feel violently ill and I can't hardly sleep at night and when I manage to fall asllep I wake up with the bed soaking wet from my sweat does any one have any advise for me that can help with what I am going through. (please)
here goes.  i have been taking ms contin for about 2 years now.  i have severe muscle pain all the time.  i also take tramadol and klonopin (for panic attacks).  I have to quit taking ms contin and am worried about w/ds.  i was given 2 Opana for help with the ms contin w/d.  I quit taking ms 2 days ago and have just taken the last Opana i had today.  Now, there's another catch in this... i hurt my finger and it got infected with staph.  it was so bad that the tip of my finger got 2 perinekias on it and was swollen like a grape.  i then went to my doc and he cut out the infection and paranekias and now i have a huge hole on the tip of my right index finger. so anyway, my doc gave me 60 lortab to help with my pain.  so, i'm a little worried about what the morning will bring.  do you think the opana is masking the w/d from the ms contin?  they say opana is not morphine but "like it"  what's that supposed to mean? should i use the lortab to taper me down or not take them at all? what is gonna happen tomorrow and the next day? i'm new at this and am missing a finger to type cause it's all wrapped up so forgive my bad typing.  what in the hell do i do with this mess?? HELP
i just realized that people have not been on this forum for like 6 months...WTF???????
   Just to let everyone know, your help is much appreciated... It's helping people mike myself get through this withdraw period on my Ms Contin experience. I just quit after tappering down for months ... Been on Ms Contin 30mg pills for a year... but had Vikes and Norco use also before... but have weened off them both,, For the MS Contin... I went from three a day... to two a day,,, after two months at that level.. I took it down to one a day...then after a month of that level i too it every 36 hours... for two weeks... then to one every 56 hours for a week.... Then on Jan 14 2010, I stopped all together.
   The first four days were bad but not as bad as if you tried to quit while on a full dosage. Thats just my opinion of course... everyone is different.
  I wanted to know how long withdraw symptoms last... Restless leg syndrome  is the worst but getting better with the Thomas recipe ... still have some depression and anxiety... but very low...
My reason for using Opiates are not only for the chronic pain I have from multiple back surgeries ... but to share the truth with you... I want to be off ALL pain killers. the side effects of MS Contin are not worth sucking my life from me just to be pain free. And that's not even achieved with Ms Contin... Regardless , Since my major Panic attack while taking both Ms Contin and Norco... It scared me enough to want to be free of this cycle of psychological and Physical addiction  
I will continue to follow this forum.... to see if I can get help, or If I can help anyone get through this... I don't judge anyone who decides to stay on Pain killers.. I Personally just got the sh_t scared out of me with this Opiate use.... TY
you both have been answering a very old post and your questions might pass unnoticed... Please paste what you wrote and start your own thread, you'll have much more chances to have accurate answers. This site is a life savior for a lot of us, tons of support on here, stick around!
Best of luck to you both. xoxoo. sophie.
i am on prcoset 10/320 i believe and ms contin 60mg in the morning and 30 mg at noon and night i just ran out of ns contin and cannot get it refilled for 5 days is the percocet going to ease the withdraws of the ms contin thank you please help
Thanks so much for the list of things that should help me w/ this withdrawal/ leg spasms, lack of sleep, overall nausea,,,,etc.  Can't wait for the day that all the drugs are out and I start to feel like a person again.
Praying, praying it happens fast.
Thanks again for your help

Sandy H

I'm new here been reading posts for two days. Originally came here via search engine to find information on the new meds I have been placed on and got drawn into your lives with your story's. I'll try to keep this short. One night I was getting ready for bed and felt like I was going to throw up, out of no where no warnings no symptoms nothing. I threw up the immediately fell to the floor I'n more pain than I could attempt to describe. Luckily my husband heard me because I couldn't have called out to him if I had too. Told him get me to hospital something is bad wrong I was very scared.

I lost 90% of my pancreas overnight it necrotized. I kept asking if I was going to die they wouldn't answer me for two weeks. They wanted to induce coma the pain was more than they could manage, i refused. Took me a week to convince them that I don't drink. Eventually they copped out and said maybe it was the lisinapril I was on for my BP.

Tests tests tests could not find any stones I'n gallbladder couldn't eat or drink got a 6 x 8 inch psyuedo cyst on what was left of my pancreas. After 5 months I'n hospital I told them to go take my gallbladder I was tired, tired enough to die. They said they would have to completely open me up I said whatever. They took gallbladder out it was sludgy they cut hole I'n cyst and stomach 32 staples later I wake up.

Five months almost 6 and I'm going home after all the morphine pumps I had no withdrawal. 4 more months at home still tube feeding total weight loss 70 lbs I'm only 5'2 tall.

Eventually learned how to eat again that was so hard to do. Ended up on norcos. Never took more than prescribed even tho my pain everyday was he'll it never got better.

Back and forth to hospital every 2-3 months with bad infections caused by my remaining pancreas that was infecting all digestive tract and liver. I wanted to die. If not for my two grand babies so I continue to fight.

Last checkup my doctor asked me when I was gonna stop being so stubborn. I had no life couldn't function, i sat thinking.... I'm 50...I'm I'n massive pain... My life has been shortened...so I finally gave I'n and told him send me to pain clinic.

I currently have 4% of my pancreas and still not diabetic it's working it's little heart out. They do a nerve block tell me come back I'n a week for the other side. I'm told my pain is akin to end stage cancer (like I didn't know that) I go back and sadly tell them it didn't work I had such high hopes after so much suffering.

They say it's not working and they are not going to do the other side. They send me home with ms contin 30 mg twice a day and dilauded 30 mg 4 times a day. I'm on my third day of no pain I'n over 18 months. It's like I'm experiencing things for the first time. A shower is to be enjoyed not just to shave pain off.

Then I read all this stuff.

Now I'm scared, I've never been addicted I'n my life always could just lay things down with no problem. I'm pain free do you have any idea what that means to me? But according to all of you I feel like I've taken my first steps down a path that I'll regret.

I'm scared and need advice
Plz help me
Correcting dosage it's a tually 4 mg dilaudid and 30 mg ms contin
Really scared and no one has responded someone plz respond if only to talk I'm all alone with no hope and could use a friend please
Jackie, I am sorry no one responded. This is post is some 8 years old and it is being overlooked---not on purpose. Please go to the top of this page and hit the orange "Post A Question" button. Follow the instructions and start your own thread. That way the members can get to know you and follow you. There is great support here. If you need help give a shout.

Hope to see you out there.
Tysvm and god bless
Personally I don't think that 60mg mscontin is particularly addictive, if alternated with tramadol and oxycodone, try not to always take the same drug or dosage, just take when you have pain and alternate them. And make sure you always have a reserve quantity to take of mscontin, oxycodone or tramadol, so you never have to withdraw. If you are in genuine pain this is a moderate and good dose.
YES ,Move, Move <move. Anything,anyway,do something.. Everytime I sit around a wonder how I'm going todo this get through it I cave and head for the poison for relief mostly from the anxiety of not knowing whats going to happen. Fear of failure is the true enemy.. Bad feelings and emotions cant really hurt you. Fear of the unkown is the worst, always has been with humans.. The fear we imagine NEVER happens. It's all made up in our head.I drank a fith a day for 20 yrs and quit cold turkey for eight yrs. Again what stumbled me a thousand times was fear I could not quit. that I would freak out.Then I decided I dont care if it kills me I'm done. then the fear melted away. All my fears never materialized. I must come to that resolve with the MS Contin, May hhurt but then pain is good??? so they say.
Ok so I've been seeing a pain dr for 2 years for 4 herniated discs. My dr had me on 130 MS Contin 3 times a day and Percocet 7.5 for breakthrough twice daily. Well just last week I missed my pill count, my pharmacy refused to do it and I didn't have time to go to the drs before work. New law, which I wasn't privy to says you're now screwed. They cut me off and sent me away with ultram 50 mg for withdrawals. Day 1 starting to feel some pain and tired took Vic ES got from a friend to help w symptoms , btw does not help at all!! I took 2 every 3/4 hrs nothing!!! Day 2 , ok this is bad, severe bone pain, endless diarrhea , can't even make it to the bathroom. Mind u I have a 1 yr old to chase,,,, my head feels weird and I'm getting a headache. I can't lay still due to the rls , can't sleep because the bone pain, diarrhea, nausea, cold sweats, stomach cramps are torturing me. Day 3 and 4 are just as bad and not any better at all. Now I feel like I wish someone would just put a bullet in my head. I'm begging god to help me. I've had 4 kids and it wasn't this painful. I think about calling an ambulance; because as a nurse I know if I cry kidney stones they will give 4 mg of morphine IV push but I'm in so much pain I can't get off the couch to even try. I finally get my old pain dr to send me for scripts but I have to wait one day till mon!!!! I lay on the couch crying and begging for Monday 11 am. Take my first dose , finally relief around 3 hrs later. Feel very weak still. I would never recommend anyone trying this alone as I aspirated my vomit on day 3 at midnight and couldn't breathe for a whole min. I thought omg I'm going to die over a pill count , my poor children.
Hey you...I've been thru you're hell .  almost monthly for 5yrs now.. I don't see an end in sight...I'm scared like you friend I've the exact symptoms you describe.. Yet seemingly & oddly I look forward to sickness every month.. Guess I can really cry again.. & Enjoy life's simple pleasures thru horrible withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. (HELP)