Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
my dad died using fentanyl and alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

my dad died using fentanyl and alcohol

I don't really know why I am writing.  I guess it is a desperate attempt to find some answers.  My dad died 3 years ago when he used fentanyl combined with drinking.  I don't think he knew the effects that it could have and from what we know it wasn't prescribed.  He had a history of drug and alcohol abuse. We don't know why he was at the place where he was found when he died and nothing makes sense.   We know someone gave it to him, I guess we'll never find out who and the police don't care.
I guess my question is, the patch was 25 mg,  how much would he have to drink for it to kill him?  How long would it have taken for him to die?  Would the people who were there know he was dying.  Would he have just passed out?  Please be as honest as possible.  
in reality..that would be a low dose for someone who had a tolerence to narcotics..it really would be..so u would tend to think he did not have a tolerence to narcotics to die from that low a dose mixed with alcohol...now i am typing what i think and i realize we r all different...it woulda had to be a whole lotta alcohol if he had a tolerence to narcs...if he did not then it wouldnt have to be a bu11load of alcohol....or//there is sumpin else involved in this scenario....but i can relate with ur wanting to know//even tho it will not really solve anything...it is sumpin that helps to figure out//but u may not ever really know....

where did they find him?  dont say if u dont want to as it is none of my business
Hi there,
             Im 24 years old and have just lost my mum (6 weeks ago) to what we think was an opiate and alcohol accidental overdose she was only 40.  She was found on the bedroon floor , naked , and had been there approximately 8 hours.  My mum had always taken opiates since i can remember anyway codeine/dihydrocodeine but eventually took recreational drugs aswell.  She left my dad for another bloke 6 years ago and began also drinking heavily.  I have seen her in hospital with liver and kidney failure and a 40% chance of survival, she survived but her boyfriend was bringing pills into the hospital for her and she continued to drink.  The doctor refused to prescribe my mum pills anymore and she began buying over the counter meds with 500mg of paracetamol in , she was taking up to 40 a day and god knows how much drink.  I cant answer how your dad died , im awaiting the inquest into my mums death , however i do beleive it was years of abuse taken its toll on her organs.  If it was a heart attack it would have been a fainting sensation or he may have just gone to sleep/ passed out and had a heart attack which is probably most likley due to the fact that fentanly is a depressant and alcohol a stimulant the 2 combined usually end in heart attacks.  Just like you i feel i have many unanswered questions and dont believe my mum was alone when she died.  Like your dad she may of passed out and whoever they were with left thinking they were ok, just sleeping it off, i honestly can think why someone would not have called for help, i have to therefore summise they diddnt know she was dead/dying.  In response to the time it took to die if it was a heart attack from organ damage it would have been really quick, im not saying that to make you feel at ease (well i am) but it is true , a minute or so at most.  
I know exactly how you feel and all the questions you have unanswered, im torturing myself with visions of her dead and i have an unhealthy obsession with death and thinking im gunna die at the moment, im frightened to sleep incase i dont wake up like my mum, i have 30-40 severe panic attacks a day to the point i go blue , and like you will understand i miss my mum more than i could explain.  Will this get better with time? Im terrified , im lucky my husband has started to support me more cause the only way i can relax to sleepis when he is cuddling me and i feel safe , sad i know!! I also am addicted to codeine but am tapering and dont drink that dosent help my anxiety.
I know we will probably never get the answers we want and i will forever vision her last moments but the lifestyle they led would only ever end up this way, hey i bet he had some fun at times though i know my mum did (not that i condone what she did), sadly she became lonely and depressed and i cannot forgive myself for that. was our dad depressed or lonely? i dont know much about your relationship so im scared to comment .
I really hope this brings you some peace although i realise it probably wont , you need answers, did the inquest show anything? I genuinly wish you the best and hope your mind can settle.
All the hugs in the world jem xxxxx
P.S you arnt alone , i know how your feeling xxxxxxxxxx
I accidentally overdosed on opiates/alcohol at one time. Was a really close call that left me in intensive care on a ventilator for awhile. Actually I was quite unconscious when the paramedics got to me and transported me to a hospital unconscious and in respiratory/cardiac distress. The events before I woke up in the hospital were not unpleasant at all. I simply percieved it as going to sleep peacefully. In fact it was so calm and serene that I was almost ticked off when they revived me. I am certainly glad that they got to me and did pull off a difficult save. Since that experience I havent feared death at all.......I am a Vietnam era vet and I used to fight death or all its worth. Also saw more death than I care to think about. I have a totally different view of death today. Nature does incredible things and when bad stuff comes down your body gets flooded with dopamine and adrenalin and everything to combat the events. I doubt that your dad was in any sort of pain or anything like that at all. He just started breathing more and more slowly until the oxygen level left him unconscious. Then while he was unconscious the organs did not get enough oxygen to function and they shut down. I know this isnt much consolation ....... but perhaps you will feel a little better to know that he really didnt suffer.
My father died 46 years ago, at the age of 50, from the combined effects of alcohol and barbiturates (probably Seconal, which he took for sleep).  It was not well-known at that time that that was a potentially lethal combination, as it can paralyze your respiratory system the same as an opiate OD.  As in opiate overdose, it can happen too fast for you to do anything about it, so if you're alone it will probably be fatal.  As deaths go, it is relatively quick and painless, and your father probably didn't suffer.
As a paramedic I understand how hard this is to share with the public. I sincerely wish you both the best and only hope you can live your life with peace and try to continue to reach positive goals. I too have lost, my sister died of a heroin OD a year ago. I was starting day shift when the police called me. We have many scars we wear which are not our own through our actions, mearly ours by blood and love. I can assure you that a OD with alcohol and medications, namely opioids or synthetic - fentanyl would be a unconscious passing.

All my blessings x