my husband is addicted to pills
We just back from the ER where the ambulance had to come to our house and pick him up after taking 7 ativan and I don't know how many ambien as well as some tylonol3 i think, on top of his regular meds of hydrocodone and morphine!   AND HE is angry at me because I took all his meds away and throuhg the ativan away....we are both in recovery or at least I thought we were....I don't know the best track to take concerning this situation...right now he hates me.
So sorry about the situation.  I don't think your husband is suppose to go cold turkey off the ativan though.  Others will be responding soon.  From what i've hear it could be dangerous to go cold turkey off benzo's and I think ativan falls in that catagory.  Please keep posting. There are so many helpful people here.  
Hi....bad situation u have there...

I'm sure u know this but your hub has to b ready to quit himself....no one else can make an addict quit...

Keep posting....lots of good people here...

Peace,

Nick
Yeah... My Dr. had me on Lorazepam (Ativan) for sleep.  I would get an Rx for 30 tablets for 30 days.  1 tablet before bed every evening.  I must say that it worked well for sleep but because I am the addict that I am, I decided once to take 2.5 pills and I had a few beers on top of that.  

Long story short....  I woke up in the morning, started my truck and noticed some front end damage on my truck.  I knew nothing about it except for it wasn't there the morning before.  I decided to conduct an investigation and it was apparent that I hit the cement wall of the bridge in front of my house the evening before.  

I had no recollection of the event at all.  It absolutely freaked me out.  That was the last night I took another Lorazepam.  Pretty scary stuff!  I couldn't imagine taking 7 of those things....  

Trout
I don't know your situation and if I'm speaking out of line forgive me. That sounds like alot of pills to take at one time, could it be possible your husband was trying to take his life. Being addicted to pills can make anyone very depressed. What did the ER people say??  

Dove
I'm SO sorry for your situation.  I'm not sure that going off all of those meds at once is a good thing.  He's taking too much to stop cold turkey.  Watch for seizures.  Didn't the E.R. people have recommendations, referrals, did no social worker get involved?  Didn't they send him home with instructions on what he should take?
Yeah my friend takes Ativan, and one time she stopped taking them, and had a bad seizure...