Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
nasal spray addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

nasal spray addiction

it appears that i have been addicted to the neosyneferin nasal spray for two years now..it all began when i became ill with a siunus infection and i needed something to open my nasal passages..i started on the neosynefrin and could never get off it after that..i also suffer from time to time with what the doctor refered to as medicine nose, which is what i am going through again at the moment..my nose is continually blocked with constant discharge..i need to spray almost every half hour or so and sometimes more frequently..i'm nervous and panicky, irritable, can only sleep at one hour intervals and feel like i'm suffocating...i dread going to another specialist and being told that the only way out is going off the spray cold turkey which is unimaginable or having an operation..please tell me that in this day and age there is another possible route out of this madness..

desperate for your reply,
stephanie
I have never heard of anyone being addicted to nasal spray.  I suppose that you could be addicted to the antihistamine in it.  Maybe there is an oral med that would allow you to taper off the spray?  The hard part of addiction is in dealing with the mental stuff associated with abstinance/withdrawals.  You may want to consult an addiction specialist for this problem.  J.B.
I don't believe you are actually addicted to the ingredients in the nasal spray as much as you are addicted to what it does.  You see, when you use a nasal spray regularly, it causes your nasal passages to open, then a "rebound" effect afterwards.  Meaning that the passages close up as soon as it wears off (usually tighter than before).  This causes a vicious cycle because you need to keep using it to open them which continually causes the rebound effect.  The same thing happens with asthma inhalers and the lungs.  Your doc was right about going cold turkey.  You have become dependent on them to breathe and you must "train" your nasal passages to open on their own.  Unfortunately this means being completely stuffed up until this happens.  I don't know how long this will take.  I am sorry to hear you are going through this and I hope the info I gave you helps.  I am a nurse and often counsel my patients on the dangers of overusing nasal sprays and inhalers.  Good luck and God Bless, Maryanne
Have any of you guys ever had CONTUGESIC (Codicontin?)  If so what are they similar too here in the USA?  (Percocet, Lortab, Oxycontin???)
Steph, I FEEL YOU!!  I just happened to stumble onto this site after looking for information about something else and saw your post.  I too have an addiction to nasal spray and, to be perfectly honest, can't remember the last time I went a day that I didn't use it!  I'm 29 and having probably been squirting for at least the past six years.  I have similar problems to yours and know exactly how you feel.  I have been hooked on one spray (Vick's Ultra-Fine Mist 12hr spray) and it's the only one that works.  I've tried various other brands including prescribed brands from my doctor and nothing else can clear me up.  I say this to possibly support the notion that you could be addicted to the ingredients.  I am currently entertaining the possibility of deviated septum surgery.  You may want to look into this.  I know some people who have done it and they say it worked well for them.  But for now, I've added Claritin D (12 hr) to my daily pill-poppin regimen and it seems to have lessened my squirts.  Of course now, this will be a new addiction!  I know exactly what you mean about going cold turkey too!  Anxiety sets in when I don't get my "fix."  This of course makes breathing that much harder to bear.  Going cold turkey would be extremely difficult but to anyone that's ever done it, I'd love to hear story.  Good luck to ya!
This is for Stephanie:  I have been addicted to nasal spray many times.  I usually get on it when I have a very bad cold.  The way to withdraw is one nostril at a time.  Don't be in a hurry.  Make sure the first nostril is nice and clear and then withdraw the second one.  There is no yearning for the spray once you have put it aside.  It is not like alcohol or morphine; it does not alter one's psyche so you don't yearn for it once the head is cleared up again.  Also, after you start withdrawing the first nostril it sometimes helps to use 'Breathe Right' at night.  This is a product which looks a bit like a bandaid which you put over the bridge of your nose to help open, physically, the nasal space.  I have been addicted to just about everything and clean for thirty years with the exception of nasal spray.  Good luck, kid.
Hi Stephanie,

I was addicted to otrivin 3 years ago for about 1 year.  I went to many specialists.  What I've been told is that nasal spray can be as addictive as morphine.  I had it everywhere, a bottle in every jacket and every drawer.  One time I went out of town for the weekend with my at the time boyfriend and in the middle of the night realized I had no spray, only one bottle and it was empty.  I had a panic attack, I thought I was dying and we were in unfamiliar surroundings so we had no idea where a 24 hour drugstore was.  After that I knew I had to quit.

I was also told that I had to go cold turkey.  What happens is your nostrils will swell up if it doesnt have the nasal spray to take down the swelling.  What I did is I took my regular dosage but only put it in one nostril at a time.  This way I could still breath (not perfectly of course), then I would cut the daily dosages in half.  I was completely off of it after 2 weeks.  

I have never used a nasal spray since and I never will.  If I get a cold I will use basic cold med's so that I do not feel that immediate relief and rely on it again.  Just thinking about it, I can remember the suffocated feeling I had everytime I thought the otrivin was wearing off.  It was a very scary feeling.

Try this, hopefully it will help.  I know exactly what you're going through.

Take care,

Tara
One more thing,

I would also use Vics vaporub and a humidifier.  It made the air seem more clear and it was easier to breath out of one nostril or just from my mouth. It won't make that much of a difference, but with all three in place, alot easier.

Tara
Those are good words from Tara.  She mentions some things that I probably should have.  It may take a couple of weeks.  Be patient.  It is difficult but very reasonable and doable.
Percocet is Oxycodone and Acetaminophen.  Lortab is Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen.  Oxycontin is Oxycodone in a sustained-release form.  Oxycontin is not a true contin, in that it is a short-acting medication that has been placed in a sustained-release form.  When you take Oxycontin, you get an immediate (in about 45 minutes) release of the medicine, followed by a timed release.  With MS Contin, it is a true contin, in that it gives a sustained release of the medication over an 8-12 hour period--no quick bursts of medicine followed by a timed release.  Chad, I do not have any drug books with me, so I am uncertain of the composition of Contugesic (Codicontin).  Maybe the above info will be of some help.  Maria.
Maria,
    Yeah I know about all those drugs, I am addicted to most of them.  I was just unsure of what Codcontin is.  It is a drug offered on an overseas website.  I didn't want to order anything with codiene in it, codiene sucks.
Thanks anyway
Chad
I looked up your nasal spray on rxlist.com and found that it contains a drug called PHENYLEPHRINE HCL, a sort of a "poor mans's" speed, similar to drugs like sudaphed (a precursor to amphetamine). PHENYLEPHRINE HCL falls under the same classification of drugs as real speed, namely "SYMPATHOMIMETIC (ADRENERGIC) AGENTS." You've developed an addiction to what amounts to a very mild, amphetamine-like substance. If used in sufficient doses, I imagine it gives you a very mild lift in the same way a couple of sudaphed decongestant pills would. Just be thankful you're not hooked on a true amphetamine. You've simply gotten used to that very mild mood lift that the PHENYLEPHRINE HCL provides you. PHENYLEPHRINE HCL is one of those ersatz speed-like drugs these guys in the back of men's magazine like to sell in black capsules claiming they're legal "black beauties." You've got what amounts to becoming addicted to coffee for its caffeine. PHENYLEPHRINE HCL is so mild (that's why it's over the counter) that, with a little will power, mild exercise and, say, a good strong cup of coffee to give you that lift you'll miss, you should be able to get off the spray pretty easily. The drug is so mild, your addiction is mostly psychological. Stop using it, take regular walks for a few days, and drink a cup of strong coffee if you feel you need a little lift. That should get you past this addiction to PHENYLEPHRINE HCL. Like I said, be thankful it isn't real speed you're trying to get off of. Give what I say a try. I think you'll find that, after just a few days, you won't miss the spray at all. Count yourself lucky it's such a mild drug you're trying to quit. Perservere for just a few days and everything will be alright, I promise. Good luck. Let us know how you do. tom
Hello!  Those were good words of advice you gave to Stephanie.  I forgot that a lot of models overuse (extremely overuse) certain nasal sprays for the speed like quality they can have.  The models use them to supress their appetite and therefore loose weight.  One model in particular - Nikki Taylor's sister- Chrissy Taylor, died a few years ago because she had a rare congenital heart defect and was overspraying for this effect. Her heart raced out of control and she collapsed.  Because no one was home with her to revive her, she was found dead hours later.  I am just repeating this story to let everyone know there are hidden dangers in the nasal sprays.  I also thought that weaning one nostril at a time was good advice.  Too bad we can't wean half our brain at a time from the opiates! ha ha  Take care, Maryanne
Hi Steph,
Hope you're well. Did you ever read any of the beat novels like Jack Keaurac's On the Road? He talks about buying up every Benzedrex nasal inhaler in sight, breaking them open and eating the blotter paper from each of them soaked in benzedrine (yeah, real benzedrine!). Imagine how popular Benzedrex inhalers would be today if they still contained real benzedrine! I guess the beat 50's were, in some ways, more innocent times than today. I remember using a Benzedrex inhaler as a 12-year old inthe early 60's and feeling all kinds of good. They still sell Benzedrex inhalers, but, obviously, not with real benzedrine in them. I think they contain the same stuff stephanie is hooked on. I like the idea of stopping one nostril at a time. Not being a user, I never would have thought of that.
Actually, if you check the ingrediants of Vicks nasal inhalers, you'll find they contain the CNS-inactive mirror molecule to honest to god speed, called in its rx form Desoxyn. I'm no chemist, but I understand that there are mirror image molecules called L-desoxyn and D-desoxyn. One of them, I think it's the D-desoxyn, is the big, bad Black Beauty speed which is obviously rx only. The CNS-inactive molecule is L-desoxyn, which clears up your nose without imparting any of the CNS stimulation speed is infamous for. Useless info, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

How are you these days, my dear?
speaking of nasal sprays, what's the story with this stadol nasal spray? I've heard that's extremely addictive, used, for the most part, to treat sudden-onset pain like migraines and cluster headaches. Is Stadol an opioid of some kind?
Patrick:
Did I miss something? Is this the patrick that said he was using the forum for a working program. I do not understand. Enlighten me sir. I enyoy coming to this sight on occassion because I see good things happen here. But all the denial and false pretenses that happen here the majority of the time. I am sorry I do not mean to single out anybody but, give me a break! Man! All the talk and no action?   Well I quess maybe I missed something. I have not been here for a few weeks. How is your recovery coming my friend. How are your meetings coming along? Do you need a sponsor? Well I quess I'll dive and see where I come up...
if you must know, I've been working a 16-hour per day contract job within my profession in order to support my family (something you apparently don't have), so I have had little time to do much else. I am assuming you don't have wife or child since you never mention them. Must be nice to spend 24 hours a day thinking about your own needs. For your information, I have begun attending a weekly AA meeting in my area, not that I owe you that information, and plan to expand my involvement when my contract job permits. Frankly, I don't appreciate your tone and I'd prefer you stay out of my business and restrict your comments to other posters. Keep your self-righteous comments to those who want to read them. I don't need or want to hear from you. Got it?
Pat,
   I don't think he was being an ass, he is just curious.  Every one of us on here has, or had a problem.  That's why we're here in the first place.  Anyway there is my 2 pennies.
To Patrick Here's my 2 penny's worth.You just keep up all the good work your doing, and the informative posts. There are alot of people that appreciate you. DeeDee
Hello, all. I have been trying to post a thread here for weeks- literally, weeks, and every time I do, it says the limit for new questions is reached. So I'll just say right now, I am seeing a doctor and do not need any advice from a physician on here, therefore I do not mind that the staff cannot answer me.

The said- I have read every post on this board. I feel as though I have come to know some of you through your stories, and that is why I just couldn't wait any longer to tell you mine...I really, really wanted your feedback.

I will start at the beginning...I remember having my first migraine headache when I was three years old. I am now twenty. When I was a toddler, I would articulate the pain by screaming and beating my own head, trying to make it stop. They treated me with baby aspirin, which did nothing.

When I was seven or so, I really started to miss a lot of school and they had me on daily tylenol. They did nerological work, MRI's, etc, in an effort to try and find out the cause of these migraines. When I have one, I have such a horrible, constant pain that tears stream down my face for the better part of twelve hours...my vision is so obstructed by light spots ("Aura", to fellow migraine sufferers), the pain goes from my scalp to my neck and is concentrated in my eyes, and I am very nauseous. By the time I was a teenager, missing at least one day of school per week was the norm. I was still going to doctor after doctor, and still being treated with NSAIDS.

Now at age 20, I still experience almost daily migraines. I can't see, work, or function when I have them. The difference now is- the doctors blindly gave me so many NSAIDS...tylenol, ibuprofen, toradol, anaprox, advil, and in such large amounts that my liver and kidneys are ruined. I will most likely need a transplant for both by the time I am 30, all because so many doctors would rather people suffer than get over their fear and perscribe opiod treatments.

Last month I went to a pain management clinic for the first time. Upon looking at my medical records, they offered me Oxycontin, but I have no insurance and could not afford it. My wonderful new doctor then gave me Norco, as well as an anti-depressant and Methadone.

The moral of the story? I *hate* being dependant on anything, especially at my young age. But these opiate drugs have given me a LIFE. I have done things this past month that I have NEVER done before, mostly because I couldn't function. I looked into the face of the man I love and it was unobstructed...no light spots, no dark 'holes'...just bright colors and beauty, things I have never been able to see before because pain literally blinded me. I went to a MOVIE! Something I hadn't done since I was a toddler! And I *loved* it!

I sincerely hope and pray for each of you struggling with addiction. I wish you success and victory in your battle. But for those who live with chronic, intractable pain, I hope that you can use opiates in moderation if nothing else works for you. I have found a new life and new strength with Norco.

***Steps off soapbox!***

Thanks for letting me share! On the technical side, I <i>hated</i> the methadone</i>. It made my feet swell up like you wouldn't believe, and made me sleep all the time. I had a horrid experience with it. I know others have great pain relief and easier detox with it, but I feel like flushing my whole bottle. I'd be interested to know if anyone else had such adverse side effects.
They are Dihydrocodeine,I find 180mg provides a medium quality high better than 300mg codeine,but not as good as dihydrocodeinone(hydrocodone)25mg.unlike codeine,dihydrocodeine can be used IV and is more sedative than codeine.In Australia it is available OTC in 7.5mg Dihydrocodeine/300mg aspirin tablets.
180mg is approx equal to 300mg of Codeine,except also qualitatively better Euphoria and analgesia.A box of 24 tablets provides 180 mg Dihydrocodeine and cost around $5(US $2.50).
I cannot understand why the doctors did not prescribe antimigraine medication instead of all the NSAID`s,and why they gave you as an infant aspirin,when it is containdicated in under 2 year olds,as far as the methadone goes,to rapid an increase in dosage will cause oedema(swelling)and I slept for 18 hrs per day when I took it.The norco is Hydrocodone and you did not say what the antidepressant was,but it sounds like you are on the right mix now,although,I am slightly confused about the use of an Opioid to prevent Migraine,however if you feel good then so do I,lets keep it up.
Name Butorphanol Tartrate (Stadol)
Class Opioid agonist-antagonist analgesic
Description Butorphanol is a synthetic analgesic that has effects similar to those of morphine (2mg of butorphanol is equivalent to 10 mg of morphine or 80 mg of meperidine). It has both narcotic agonist and antagonist properties, and should be used with caution in patients who are narcotic dependent. At present butorphanol is not restricted under the Controlled Substances Act.
Onset 10 min IM, 1-5 min IV
Duration 3-4 hours
Indications Relief of moderate to severe pain.
Pre-operative or pre-anesthetic medication

Used to relieve pre-partum pain

Contraindications Hypersensitivity
Head injury

Use with caution in patients with respiratory depression

Adverse Reactions Sedation, headache, vertigo, hallucinations, palpitations
Increase or decrease in BP

Respiratory depression (naloxone should be available)

Patient may experience symptoms of withdrawl (withdrawal).

Drug Interactions Phenothiazines, droperidol, tranquilizers and barbiturates may potentiat the actions of butorphanol.
Supplied 1mg/ml in 1 ml vials
2mg/ml in 1,2,10 ml vials

Dose/Administration Adult: IM: 2 mg every 3-4 hours as needed (range 1-4 mg)
IV: 1 mg every 3-4 hours (range 0.5
Hi Spook, I don't know why I was given NSAIDS for so long either. At one point when I was 14 (1995) I was taking 2 bottles of ibuprofen a week. I wish I'd have known the damaging effects.

I also tried Imitrex, Amerge, Amatriptiline, (sp?) Propranalol (TONS of this stuff), and many, many blood pressure meds before the opiates and after the NSAIDS. None of the, worked, obviously.
The anti-depressant I am on is Zoloft. I was not diagnosed with depression and would have called myself depressed but it has made me look at most things in a more positive light. He also has me on Topamax which is an anti-seziure medicine. Sicne the nerves in the brain act similarly in a seizure as in a migraine, he wanted to try it. It has not decreased the frequency or intensity of my migraines, but now my hands don't tremble when I start to get one.

As for the Norco, I asked for it by name after I couldn't afford the oxycontin and was too scared to take that daily anyway. I had a friend who also had horrible migraines and norco worked for her, which is why I asked for it.

The methadone did make my feet and ankles swell something awful. I only took a 10 mg puill 2x a day which I undestand to be a relatively small dose, so I thought maybe I was allergic to it.

Anyway, yeah, now I feel GREAT!!!! God bless my <a href="http://www.paincare.org" target="_new">doctor</a>. I was even able to start my own <a href="http://www.eliteautoimage.com" target="_new">web design company</a> like I had dreamed of for years, thanks to these medicines! :-)

I had A look at the link        http://www.paincare.org/                                      and noticed that they use the antidepressant fluoxetine(prozac) for migraine,You may ask your DR if maybe you should take it instead of zoloft.
How did you put a link on this page I thought that HTML was disabled?
Blessings to you young lady that you have your life back... you are courageous and inspirational !!

Spook is correct about the prozac. My friend of many years went on it several years ago for depression when her marriage was suffering and her teens were making her crazy. The interesting thing is that she suffered migranes (migraines) all her life and had poor school performance due to them and also was plagued with eye and perceptual problems.... to this day she has trouble reading more than a couple of pages. Anyway, she had been on fiouranal (sp??) and other pain meds for years. She used to go to the headache clinic and get shots to administer to herself when she began to see the patterns that told her the migranes (migraines) were coming.  When she went on the Prozac the migranes (migraines) literally went away !! This was an unexpected side effect for her. About 18 mos. later she tried to wean off the Prozac and was unable... the migranes (migraines) came back... she tried again close to another year later and was finally successful. And the best part is that the migranes (migraines) are gone. She says she does get small minor headaches once in awhile and is able to get relief with the Excedrin for Migranes (migraines). As far as the Prozac for her depression... it was worthless ....she said she felt flat and not motivated... she was just covering her problems and too flat to even care to make changes. The only good thing was the nearly permanent relief from the migranes (migraines). Hope this story is of some interest to you. Love, Brighty
<font face="arial, helvetica, verdana">re Prozac- yes, I have heard it can help migraines...but I will not try it because <i>everyone</i> I have spoken to about it (at least a dozen people) say that it does take away your negative emotions, but it also takes away your positive ones. I have heard numerous times... "It's like I couldn't feel <b>anything</b>."

So I do not want to try it...nor do I want to try paxil because I hear the withdrawals can be SO hard on you. I know that both of these meds work for many people and I'm glad, but I don't want to use them. The zoloft makes me a little drowsy, but I am learning to combat that.

Spook- I never heard one way or another about HTML being disabled. I use ti in my messages and it seems to work fine.

Brighty...thank you <i>so</i> much for your encouragement! I am praying pain-free days for you...
This is off topic but how did you get your post in that very different font than everyone elses ?? And how did you get those sites to open the browser ?? I don't know much about computers and when I want to offer someone a web site to read I have to type it in .... I don't know how to make it come up in another color and open when clicked on ???? ( Am I the only one here wondering about this ??????????????) Love, Brighty
chad,
I've known a million "doc dan's" and none of them is "just curious." They're zealots that post on sites like these to taunt and belittle. It's what gets them off. An ******* addict on methadone is just an *******. There are aspects of a man's character he can try to blame on drug addiction. But time (and the totality of his posts) tells me that doc dan is no friend of yours or mine. His position at the meth clinic has finally put him in a position where he has real power over other people. This is a man with a lot of unresolved anger and resentment who uses his new position at the meth clinic (and on this forum) to take his life out on those unfortunate enough to, one way or another, cross his path. Don't ever be so naive as to assume doc dan is "just curious" when he sends me a post like that last one. I did announce my retirement from the forum until I had entered a full-fledged program but several forum members asked me to reconsider. They said I was, in my own way, doing good by participating, so I decided to continue posting. However, I still post as "pat for tom" because I will not post again simply as tom until I make good on my pledge to enter appropriate treatment.

Chad,
You sound like a perceptive man. Re-read the bulk of doc dan's posts and then ask yourself, "Is this a man who comes to this forum to provide genuine comfort, advice or solace? Or does he come here to try to rub our hypocrisy, real, imagined or implied, right back in our faces and then sit back and have himself a big laugh at our expense?" Unfortunately, the practice of drug addiction virtually always includes an element of hypocrisy. And every last one of us, including doc dan, is guilty of its practice.

Doc dan's post to me was for the sole purpose of branding me a hypocrite and a self-serving fraud. Remember, Doc dan "lives" in a meth treatment center. His brains swims in its rhetoric 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The idea that we can't all just drop all our family responsibilities and go running off to a 90-day in-house rehab has never occurred to this Johnny-one-note.

I'd love nothing better than to be able to check out of life and into a rehab so an army of rehab specialists could "work on me." Unfortunately, I am working as a 1099 contractor these days because of the downturn in the IT industry, so I have neither the time nor the medical benefits to go near a rehab. So I do the best that I can do: try my best not to sink deeper into addiction while simultaneously performing as the sole support of my family, which, by the way, includes paying my son's college tuition.

I've got a full plate, as one might say, and I don't need to be the brunt of doc dan's animus and the subject of his taunting posts. He'd love nothing better than to hear that I died from an overdose in some alley, so he could pound out some long, self-aggrandizing post on this forum. He no friend of mine and I'm no friend of his. The less I hear from him the better. If you're reading this "doc" dan, please take my last post seriously when I told you never to address another of my posts ever again.

So, chad, I know you meant well with your comments regarding dan's motivation. However, I can't agree with your conclusions. His motivations run deep and dark and have little or nothing to do with a desire to provide guidance or comfort. The simple fact is he has a heart of stone and he has chosen to make our collective misery his stock and trade.
<table border="2" bgcolor="#D4D4F2" bordercolor="#6B69C9" cellpadding="20" cellspacing="0"><tr><td><font face="verdana, helvetica, arial" size="2" color="#6B69C9">
Hi Brighty...

I used [font face=verdana size=2 color=#6B69C9] on this message, only I used < > instead of [ ].

As for links opening in a new window...say I was typing a link to DrSteve's site I would type [a href="http://www.headdocs.com" target="_new"] only again I would replace the [ ] with < >

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to <a href="mailto:***@****">E-Mail</a> me! Don't feel bad if it takes you a few tries to get things right...it took me a long time to learn HTML the way I wanted to. Try praticing on some of the much older messages first. :)

</tr></td></table>
Thank you !!!!! ( ?????????????? ) Honestly, I am clueless !! LOL !!! I don't know a thing about html... and to really confound me, it appears that Patrick posted just above you and suddenly HIS font looks like yours also. Is that a coincidence ????? I am really impressed with the lovely blue box your message is in !! It really adds a nice dimension to our hum drum board !!! :-))) Love, Brighty ( who is now wondering about computers as well as addiction !! )
<table border="2" background="http://www.tatmar.net/ljbg.gif" bgcolor="#31394A" bordercolor="#D6DCF0"
cellpadding="20" cellspacing="0"><tr><td><font face="verdana, helvetica,
arial" size="2" color="#D6DCF0">
Brighty- the other messages show up in that font also because I never closed the font tag. I love HTML and it's a great hobby to get into! I make good money designing webpages and there is always something new to learn. I try and stay focused on learning and working, rather than my pain or meds. If I am tempted to take more than three Norco in a day, I sit on this computer and <i>do</i> something until the 'must have' feeling passes.

There are a million places where you can get a free webpage to experiment with HTML. It is a great form of self expression and a wonderful way to keep your mind off certain things.
<P><center>
[<a href="mailto:***@****">E-Mail Me</a>]</center>
</tr></td></table>
Beth, I am as clueless as Brighty in the HTML department, but
also LOVE what you have done to the facade of this forum.  Thanks!
I was very touched by your story, which once again reinforced my belief that, "pain is the thief of the human spirit."  I am glad that you have found a combination of medication that is beneficial to you.  SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft, etc.) help migraine sufferers not because the individuals are depressed (even though some might be), but because serotonin is involved in the beginnings of a migraine.  Imitrex works because it imitates the effects of serotonin on blood vessels and raises the brain levels of serotonin by as much as 80%, when given at the onset of a migraine.  If Zoloft works for you, why switch?  If you want to explore a natural alternative for your migraines, you might want to check into 5-HTP.  Spook recommended a super site to Brighty regarding 5-HTP.  Best wishes.  Maria
Hey Pat,
  I guess I was wrong.  Sorry.  Maybe you're right, I'm just not the type to argue or even disagree with someone, I've always liked to look at both sides of the story before I say anything you know?  Anyway take care
ChadB
no reason to revise your comments chad, this has been doc dan's MO since he showed up here one charmed day. By all means take advantage of what he knows -- just don't expect him to put an arm around your shoulder when you're hurting and lost and affraid and just need some unconditional companionship to get through the night.
Hey!  Good to hear from you always!  I am SO glad you have not retired from the forum and as always am here to offer support in fighting this disease.  To anyone reading this that may agree with "Doc Dan" - WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO CHANGE OUR MINDS.
Take care everyone!  Maryanne
yeah, I'm still around and ready to talk. How are you?
Most of the symtoms (symptoms) you mention are the same as those that would result from an overdose of the active ingredient,just a thought?
If you select edit on the top of your browsers tool bar you will be able to view the HTML directly to see how the page was composed.
<a href="http://www.paincare.org" target="_new">Spook at Paincare</a>.
<a href="http://www.tatmar.net/ljbg.gif" target="_new">Click to See Black Square</a>.
Ok, Now I am really confused regarding HTML..I thought I was computer literate simply because I was able to turn the thing on and shut it down.  It's pretty cool to see what can be done....Like Spook's black square...Guess I'm bored today.  Anyway, Many years ago (now we are going back 15 or 20 years) I suffered from Migraines and they put me on Inderal and Elavil..I suppose the idea is the same.  I must be misinformed but I thought that Opiates were contraindicated in Migraines because they have a tendency to increase Intercranial pressure thus causing a more severe headache?  Well, at any rate it doesn't matter if it helps.  Patrick,  Your input is so greatly valued in this forum I hope You never decide to leave, I hope Dan doesn't hurt your feelings either.  I really cannot stand for one person to put another down, and it really irks me when someone purposely hurts another.  Have a great day everybody  Love to all cindi
I went to the edit but there was nothing about HTML... just "select all, paste, find on this page" .... oh well !!! I am not too interested in this .

I do have a couple of questions... can you tell me your take on Ibogaine ?? Have you tried it ?? Is it safe and how does it work on addiction?  I am fully aware that it is very illegal in the US and Belgium... but not anywhere else. Would you recommend that a suffering addict try it for either detox or other positive side effects ?? I am intrigued but the information available is difficult to verify at best.

Thanks very much. Brighty
Hi Spook, Talk to me about Ritalin.   Alot of Hype here about people abusing it.  snorting it ect.  I think this may be happening to my friends' son.  Since it is not "made to be snorted"  this can be even more dangerous.....Thanks a bunch   Cindi
I mean the edit icon on your browser along the same horizontal line as your back and forward icons,their should also be history,stop,refresh,full screen etc as well,you are looking at the edit text above this icon tool bar I am talking about,the one you mention is a drop down menu with the items you mention just above the one I want you to see..
Hi Cindi,In australia Ritalin is a schedule 8,that makes it a schedule 2 in USA,and it is only used for ADHD(and possibly refractive Narcolepsy),the abuse potential of Ritalin is slightly less than Dexedrine(D-Amphetamine)and therefore it is under strict control by the Health Dept,from what I have heard Ritalin is prescibed for Depression in America and to quote somebody "handed out like candy",this I find very curious?.First pass Metabolism by the Liver results in approx 30% Bioavailability,meaning that snorting or injecting will increase effects threefold,as well as change Pharmacodynamic properties to the extent that a sudden increase in blood Plasma levels will occur,this illicits profound euphoria of the usual CNS stimulant type(similar to amphetamine high),as Ritalin through poorly understood mechanisms stimulates the RAS(reticular activating system )and Cortex.Plasma half life is around 2-3 hours.
treatment of overdose is supportive measures aimed at reducing Hypertension and gastric lavage,IV diazepam (Valium)or Haloperidol for Agitation,Hypertension controlled by the usual alpha-adrenergic blocking agents.
Intensive care for maintaining circulation and respiration will be required in extreme OD along with external cooling.
So it is not really any diffent to treating somebody for Amphetamine or cocaine overdose (or any Psychomotor Stimulant)
You would need a big nose and a lot of tabs to shut down circ and resp.So I think it is in my humble opinion no more toxic than dexedrine or Phenylephrine,ie just do not OD and know that it is Addictive,No Neurotoxicity had been demonstrated.
Best to just have a nice strong coffee,I think.....then again I would try it,maybe once or twice.
<b>You got all that yet Brighty</b>

Just showing off how to do bold writing.......
Hello,no I have not tried it(yet) and do not think it is illegal here(I have to check my schedule 8-list,same as schedule 1 and 2 in USA)actually they stuffed up our regulations here,nobody has noticed yet but hydromorphone(Dilaudid)is not classified or scheduled ,I have just spent a while studying it(see link below),and apparently nobody has any idea how it works or exactly how well it works,much more research needs to be done,on top of that it is undoubtably a Hallucinogen and possible euphorigen/the natives who chewed the root claimed aphrodisiac effects and CNS stimulation.
I think Clonidine is the best thing to take to alleviate acute Opioid withdrawal symptoms.Ibogaine is claiming to prevent reward from Opioids occuring,and help alleviate withdrawal symptoms,prevent addiction,and or relapse,they claim it is not rewarding or addictive ,but the US GOVT rapidly made it an Schedule1 drug.I think it is a very complex molecule that acts synergistically through very many Neuro-systems.
=================================================================
<a href="http://www.ibogaine.org/alkaloids.html" target="_new">Everything One would ever need to know about Ibogaine</a>.
<b>Sounds Good to Me!</b>

Human Studies.
    Numerous psychotropic actions of ibogaine have been reported. These actions seem to depend on both dose and setting. In addition, the psychoactive effects of iboga extracts (which are likely to contain additional alkaloids and are usually taken in a ritualistic setting) may be different from those of ibogaine. Thus, users of the crude extract of Tabernanthe iboga taken in sufficiently high doses have reported fantastic visions, feelings of excitement, drunkenness, mental confusion and hallucinations when (101). The total extract of iboga shrub is certainly a central stimulant, and in higher doses may lead to convulsions, paralysis and finally respiratory arrest. The psychotropic actions of the plant extract include visual sensations; objects are seen to be surrounded by specters or rainbows. In high doses it may produce auditory, olfactory and taste synesthesias. The state of mind has been reported to vary from profound fear to frank euphoria (141).
    When given orally, both ibogaine and the total iboga extract elicits subjective reactions that last for approximately 6 hours. Fifty percent of subjects are reported to experience dizziness, incoordination, nausea, and vomiting (7,33,142). Typically, the drug produced a state of drowsiness in which subjects did not want to move, open their eyes, or attend to the environment. Many subjects were light-sensitive, and covered their eyes or asked that the lights be turned off. Sounds or noises were disturbing. Ibogalin (0.1-1.2 mg/kg, p.o.), an alkaloid closely related to ibogaine and a constituent of the total iboga extract, did not produce psychotomimetic effects in humans (143). Ibogalin also differs from ibogaine in pharmacokinetics and tremorigenic activity (90).
    The psychoactive properties of ibogaine and related compounds were studied by Naranjo (33,142) who reported that patients described the psychic state produced by ibogaine (~ 300 mg) as similar to a dream state without loss of consciousness. Ibogaine-induced fantasies [often described as a "movie run at high speed" or "slide show" (7)] were reported as rich in archetypal contents, involving animals and/or the subject with or without other individuals. These fantasies were easy to manipulate by both the subjects and the psychotherapist (33,142). At higher doses, ibogaine appears to produce visual and other hallucinations associated with severe anxiety and apprehension (101,144,145).

Thank you.. I am familiar with the material you posted on Ibogaine. I am most interested in understanding it's powerful and unmistakable ability to interrupt addiction, to also bring a person through a withdrawl (withdrawal) unscathed and without discomfort and it's effect on the neurotransmitter system to relieve cravings... almost totally in many people. Of course the US scheduled it... maybe because it works. Also seems to be in keeping with our other archaic drug laws that make criminals out of wounded people. It is not addictive and has a nearly zero abuse potential. I was wondering if you had personal experience to share. No problem... I am grateful for all the other information you have provided here. Love, Brighty
Ok... I am not seeing what you say I should .

Top tool bar: file, edit,view, favorites, tools, help

the 'edit' there is a pop down with:cut, copy,paste, select all, find(on this page)

Lower tool bar: back, forward, stop, refresh,home, seaarch, favorites, history, print, real.com

Below that is just the address window,go, links

See... I don't have another 'edit' ..... now what ???
Love, Brighty
Now you have found the tool bar I am talking about you will have to add EDIT to it if it is not their as you say.
1.right click on this tool bar
2.left click "customize"
3.from the "available tool bar options"left plane-box find EDIT
4.left click to highlight
5.now click "ADD"
6.and finally close.
note- while you are their you may want to get rid of the silly,invasive real.com icon and select"small icons'see at bottom of same dialog box.That way your browser window frame will be bigger and tool bar smaller.If you want to make it all nice and neat put separators between each item(Icon).

Now when all this is done whenever you are viewing a web page and they are all HTML(Hyper text markup language)you can select "EDIT" and view the page in notepad,thus see how the page is constructed in HTML,as when viewed through your Browser it removes Markup Aspect of the language,from this observation you can learn how to add links ,colours,BOLD text,and many other things,until finally the Web site Administrator gets upset and tells you to stop playing around.Like with some sites I can embed Applications,VBS script,java applets,etc even a nasty little virus if somebody annoyed me.Restrictions depend on the security permissions of the Web page and the System Administrators Incompetence.
I hope you do not expect this all to be easy as I have been studying computing(all aspects now for about 14 months)and it is only in the last couple that I have been able to see how ridiculously easy every thing I told you above is and how LITTLE I know.And I have averaged about 6 hours study per day,If you copy and paste the below into a new text file(*.txt)and and then save then rename to Key.reg and then double click it,you will see how powerful and simple "Visual Basic Scripting"(VBS)is.It is a very simple program I wrote to find missing product key numbers needed to reinstall or install Windows.  

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
pk = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\productkey")
pkf = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2) & "\pk.txt"
Set f = fso.CreateTextFile(pkf,True)
f.WriteLine(pk)
f.Close
OK=MsgBox ("Product Key is " & pk & vbcrlf & close ,1,"Lukes Windows 9X Product key Finder" )
If close = 1 then WshShell.Run
fso.DeleteFile(pkf)
<b>Sorry correction,rename to Key.vbs-see below</b>
1.right click on this tool bar
2.left click "customize"
4.left click to highlight
5.now click "ADD"
6.and finally close.

I hope you do not expect this all to be easy as I have been studying computing(all aspects now for about 14 months)and it is only in the last couple that I have been able to see how ridiculously easy every thing I told you above is and how LITTLE I know.And I have averaged about 6 hours study per day,If you copy and paste the below into a new text file(*.txt)and and then save then rename to Key.vbs and then double click it,you will see how powerful and simple "Visual Basic Scripting"(VBS)is.It is a very simple program I wrote to find missing product key numbers needed to reinstall or install Windows.  

Set f = fso.CreateTextFile(pkf,True)
f.WriteLine(pk)
f.Close
If close = 1 then WshShell.Run
fso.DeleteFile(pkf)
WOW.... i have just added the edit and deleted the real.com.... I am going to print out your complete response and then do some playing !!! I don't think we are to use this board for computer class :-)) so I am printing everything... they have been really nice not to delete this yet !!! You have a very good way of presenting what you know... have you considered teaching ???

Thanks so much... I will now have a little more in my cranium than I awakened with today. :-))

Love, Brighty
If it was not for my `mild`-panick disorder induced aversion to being in public places(I have always been very very shy) and my long term cannabis use induced amotivational syndrome and poor short term memory,I would LOVE to teach,however money is not my reward and I just taught you something and feel good now,because of that.Maybe with Gods will ,I will reach out and help more people.Now going back to the point you suggested I could be a teacher,that is good because I know how to teach,I Know how to make people remember and add interest to otherwise boring subjects,and entertain them in the process,I have always lusted after a career where I can help and entertain at the same time.I will push on and maybe get there.Thank you for the compliment.Also I cannot help but thinking (please without putting my own mother down)if she had,had the empathy and intelligence and compassion of you I would be a teacher now,but because of her,she has taught me how to be independent and strong willed and emotionally self sufficient and I would not trade that for anything,even though it almost KILLED me in accepting my predicament.Sometimes I feel like talking to you more about your Daughter and how she got so far off the PATH with a KIND mother like you.
Spook!! you absolutely amaze me on a daily basis.  You shy?  I would have never guess. Ahem...especially the penis talk in the other thread  LOL.  All kidding aside....You are right about you teaching,  Just by reading your posts I have learned something new everyday.  You are a very good teacher and very interesting I might add.  As far as Brighty's daugher and her path, I to had a very good mom, compassionate, caring and very very protective. I was brought up well, my dad was a police officer and kept tight reins on us.  I veered off of my path when i discovered that any "mood altering chemical" would make me feel less pain and make me happy all the time.  When I was around 29 I started heavily into the opiates rather than dabbling. The reason?  a terrible relationship that caused me alot of pain, mostly emotional.  the relationship for me was very traumatic. the man was 14 years older than me and it was just a mess. The drugs were there and my pain was not gone but covered up by everything and anything.  My point is:  We can raise our children, instill good morals and values in them, guide them and support them but when they are all grown up they are responsible for the choices they make.  I believe I was doomed as far as being an addict from the beginning.  I have always had the typical personality I think I have mentioned in other posts.  Insecure, low self esteem etc. and for no good reason other than that was just   me.    Well anyway, I'm sorry to once again stick my nose in a post but my mom used to always ask me "what did she do to make me become an addict"  finally I think she understood it was not her fault at least she died with that peace.   Have a good weekend   Love to all cindi
Just letting you know I read the above and appreciate it.I am 37 years old and single,never married and do not have children and both my parents are alive and well,my Mother works as a Solicitor and owns her own Firm and my Father is semi-retired(has an antique business)But was a Doctor of Zoology at our Main University.So as you can see,I am possibly just still a little baby really,anyway,I think I have soiled my social nappy enough for now,seeya soon.
I really like you, Spook.  I'd like to sit down and enjoy a good bottle of beer with you some day!  J.B.
I'll cook all day for everyone if I can join you.... wouldn't want to miss this for the world !!
Love, Brighty
Hey guys, don't leave me out,  I'll help Brighty do the cooking and I'll leave the kids at home,   This would be an historical event......love to all cindi
I'll cook something too.  Yall wouldn't believe what I can cook, but if I told you, then everyone would know who I am and where I'm from.  Darn!  
It's very yummy.....lol
Love you guys!
Annie  (:
I worked with several Aussies back in the seventies at Chevron and enjoyed these people immensely!  It was one big party after the next.  The jokes and antics never ended after hours and way into the evening.  I'd like to think that all of us here could stop taking ourselves so seriously for a while and just enjoy life for a moment.  Don't we deserve it?  J.B.
Yall?   kinda gives me a hint......LOL   Love to yall   cindi
You are so right, We all deserve to enjoy everything around us,  I have had such a horrible year, and you and Marty, you certainly deserve it. Really though, wouldn't it be too cool if we could all be together sometime?  I feel as though all of you are my family anyway and I can always relate to what everyone has to say here.  Love to all and Marty    PS  Do ya think Annie may have dropped a hint or two with her Yall?  I think that is so cute....I get this funny feeling she can make some mean Southern Fried Chicken and Okra.     PSS has anybody heard from Maria?   Hope all is well with her...
.......Your very close.  Smarty.....lmao!!!  Just a little further down .......and you will get ....Yall! lol
my sister moved to NC and within a matter of a few months she was saying yall.   sounds funny coming from a yankee...Northerners are yankees arent' we?  LOL   question?  Do you make a mean gumbo?  do you like cajun cuisine?   Just trying to figure out the mystery   LOL   how are you feeling,  It's just a matter of time and you will be good as new    Love ya   cindi
........Very well done my dear Watson.  Gumbo it is!  Need I say more?? lol.......

Yes...I'm doing much better.....and I just had the staples removed.  OUCH!!!  They bite. lol I will have to practice bending at the knee, or off to physical therapy or should I say physical terror-py I go.......ANd guess what ....I got my refills on my lil 5mg tablets, buy they are better than nothing......and I just came right out and told him that I needed refills.....He didn't argue.....lol  

You seem to be in better spirits lately......if so.....I'm glad!
Keep up the good work.

Love Ya

Annie
I am glad you are feeling better.....so cajun huh?  I like playing detective especially when YALL give such good clues  LOL  Yes My spirits are improving on a day to day basis, that is all i can do. When I am bored is when I get to thinking.  I try and stay busy.  I'm glad you got a refill, Just remember don't overdo anything, strenuous exercise etc.  If ya need to talk or anything you can always e-mail me.   Love ya  cindi
Stephanie. I understand where your coming from. I too have been addicted to nasal sprays for over 10 years.
There is a product that you can purchase to help you slowly reduce the amount you use till completely withdarwn from it.
Go to www.rhinostat.com    they offer a kit that dilutes your spray and by a month your done ......you have no withdrawl (withdrawal) effects nothing..your gradualy diluting the drug and your passages need less to return to normal.........Good luck! it works
I just read your above post in response to Brighty's suggestion.
I think she is right.  Hey...we do have something in common, and that is teaching.  That was my major in college>> Elementary Education.  Now I want a law degree.....lol  And we both know why?? lol  I also have issues w/ shyness.  My parents had put me in positions at a very young age to be in "the public eye," and I couldnt handle being in front of people.  Music is in my genes also, but there we go again w/ the public.  
I hope you can rise above it and find something that fills you, and that will be rewarding.  I feel really bad sometimes, because I am not getting younger, and could have done more with my life, but "hey" don't we all wish that????

Annie I
I read above about the young lady killing her liver and kidneys with APAP(acetaminophen) and ibuprofen. She has now switched to Norco. Like all good Pharmacists, i feel the need to tell her she's now taking more acetominophen than over the counter offers in one dose. I really hope that you are okay, and that your liver enzymes are being monitored. Just trying to help, SmokinPaws.
P.S. You can get Oxycodone and Codiene in many stregths without the tylenol in them. Good luck to everyone
Thank you for the info...maybe you could stick around and give us alot of advice..which is always welcome here    love to all cin
I've been having a similar struggle with Nasal Spray but mine goes a little beyond the recovery.  I've been off of the nasal spray for over a year now, but ever since I've had at least one nasal passage full of mucus.  Not only that, but the back of my throat where my nasal passages connect to my throat, there's always a funky taste or smell coming from there.  Gross I know, if I swallow I can feel something.  Ugh it's hard to explain.  but after I told my doctor he sent me to an ear nose and throat doc and he just put me on two weeks of nasal steroids that did nothing.  any suggestions?  could it be a lingering infection of some kind?  The E,N,T Dr. didn't see anything alarming apparently.  I hate the feeling of one nostril always being blocked and full of mucus :(  somebody help!  
Probably not the case, but I often get Tonsilloliths. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsilloliths
They taste and smell horrible.

Just wanted to say that I quit cold turkey many years ago and I am very happy I did.

Kind of a distant memory in my mind, but I remember being addicted for 4 or so years.
My mom bought Otrivin for me when I was 8 years old because she was tired of me complaining about a stuffy nose.

I started off just using them when I had a cold and couldn't breathe properly.
But then I couldn't get over how easily I could breathe when on a nasal spray.
Even when I was healthy, the nasal spray would allow me to take in incredibly deep and unrestricted breaths of air.

I began to take the Otrivin out of the medicine cabinet and spray it in my nostrils everyday. One gets so used to it, that later on you increase the concentration to meet your needs.

Over the years I always had an Otrivin bottle stashed somewhere. When I went to a friends house for a sleep over I made sure I had one in my pocket.
Missing a night made me miserable. Something my mom couldn't take, so she kept on buying me refills.
Some nights when the container was running low, I would cut the container open and make use of all last drops that I could get out of the bottle.

It was a great feeling -- being able to breathe so well. I despised breathing through my mouth, and at this point, if I ever missed a day, my nasal passages would totally close up -- not being able to breath through my nose at all.

Well, I think it was when I was 12, my mom said enough is enough. She no longer bought Otrivin for me and for the next couple of weeks (forget how long it took), I was forced to breath through my mouth.
It was tough for me. I felt like I couldn't get enough air in and was going to suffocate.
The skin in my nostrils also seemed to get inflamed/easily irritated.

Now I am in my 20's and believe that I can breathe as well as I used to without the nasal sprays.

Again, I am very happy that I stopped and suggest to anyone that is currently addicted to find the courage and stop cold turkey ASAP.

I too used to be addicted to nasal sprays! Mostly dristan.The Only way I got off was with oral steriods to bring down the inflamation (inflammation)!! First they gave me an injection to BOOST the efffect! That worked wonders for me!!! Forget cold turkey! It don't work! Also long term nasal spray use can affect your sense of smell,as it sure did me!! It took 4yrs to get my smell back! I ONLY USE COLD PILLS NOW!!!!! My Dr will give me a rx for sudaophedreine if it is severe.In MN you can't get it without a rx due to heavy meth use here. Sure hope this helps you
I have a bad addiction to nasal spray an cold turkey will not work I just panic like crazy because I cannot breathe through my nose and it is a horrible feeling. My doc gave me a steroid shot and some nasonex it has been 2 days and the stuff seems to be helping. I also have quit nasal spray in my right nostril for 4 days and in my left I took a bottle of saline solution and added 1cc of nasal spray. Now I am sraying one nostril 5 or 6 times a day but with mostly saline solution with just a little bit of the nasal spray added to the bottle. I believe this is the best way to ween yourself off. I am also taking oral decongestant but I think this may be drying me out. I hope that this helps someone. If you are having trouble try this method. Also Breathe right strips do work well at night along w/ a warm air vaporizor with medicated solution going in the room while you are sleeping. Most Vaporizors will last for 10-12 hrs make sure to add salt to the water for maximum steem. Good luck people I'm know I'm gonna make it now and it feels great. U can too good luck.
This is a very old thread (2001) so don't be surprised if these people don't respond back. :)

I will say that OTC nasal sprays are VERY physically addictive short term. The rebound effect is monstrous!
I had a singing audition once and had a cold, and used Dristan the whole day up to the audition. The next day I thought my head was going to explode. It took a few days before I got back to normal. I'd never use one again unless it wa a like emergency.
It's me again just wanted to report that is has just been a couple days now it has been almost 27hrs since i have sprayed anything except saline solution and I feel great. This method will work there is help just remeber. First get off one nostril then take steriod shot from your doc or vice versa whichever is easier 4 u. I think getting off one nostril first will make it easier but that's just me. Mucinex decongestant oral works great get this at pharmacy from behind the couter. Then mix down your nasal spray try 1 cc with bottle of saline or mix half an half if this does not work. Gradually reduce at your own pace using breathe right strips at night and when needed. Good luck I know it seems hard now but it not 2 bad trust me I have been where u are.

P.S. Vick's vapo rub and a warm air vaporizor or 2 can't hurt and a friend of mine who did this COLD TURKEY said she kept a Halls Menthlyptus drop in her mouth the whole time almost. YOU CAN DO IT. GET ON IT
I was addicted to Afrin for 18 years.
I used my own method that beats all of these. I am not looking to make money off this. Just willing to help. I have been off of it since 1996. I did it with no withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I already helped a few people get off of it. Feel free to email me at ***@****
Dan
emails are not allowed on the forum, and you are posting on an older post
I just realized i do have an addiction. i didnt believe myself when i started waking up each night going through he medicine cabinet to find otrivin. i was at the door once going out and found myself runing back in to get otrivin and then i realized there is something wrong here, i think i might have an addiction, it doesnt make sence to me, but now after reading all this i realized that it does happen, i will start trying out the one nostril at a time thing and see how that works, i just cant breath from my mouth!! Thanks for having such a topic discussed.
I was addicted to otrivine nasal spray for many years. I didn't realise it was a problem until one day when it registered that I'd only bought a bottle of the stuff two weeks before - I thought 'how many of these bottles am I getting through?' I tried going cold turkey a couple of times but just ended up back on the otrivine again - it was too difficult I felt like I was suffocating. I went to the doctor for help who gave me a beconase spray which didn't even begin to touch the congestion or 'rebound congestion' as by now I realised this was what it was. Then I came to this site and read that someone had tried going cold turkey one side at a time. I thought this really made sense so I used otrivine on the left side and the beconase spray prescribed by the doctor on the right as well as inhaling eaucalyptus oil and dabbing a little under my nose before bed. It wasn't easy to start with and I had disturbed sleep at night f or a while but when the right side was nice and clear I then tackled the left side. Three months on I am completely free from the misery caused by rebound congestion and now if I am bunged up I inhale eucalyptus oil-just a few drops in steaming hot water. I also bought a product called SINOL from an internet website which is homeopathic and is not addictive, the peper in it is meant to clear sinuses and congestion - if I have a cold and am feeling  very bunged up I have a few puffs of that but generally do not need anything now. I hope this may help someone - I was so desperate 3 months ago I thought I'd just have to keep taking Otrivine. I took great pleasure in binning the seven or more bottles I had dotted around the house - one in my makeup bag, one in the bathroom cabinet etc etc crazy. Good luck to anyone attempting to free themself from the misery nasal spray addiction causes - YOU CAN DO IT!
Rhinostat is a joke and it does not work. It's a waste of money, I've tried it. You're better off going cold turkey, the first day is the worst. If you can make it through a whole week you'll be fine. Just don't use it. Don't believe the hype, there is nothing to aid or ween you off. In fact, "weening" will most-likely just lead to full-on use again. Trust me, just put it down and suffer for a week or two and you'll be fine.
Rhinostat isn't all it's cracked up to be, no - but the idea of weaning yourself off of the compulsion to use the sprays by a dilution method is the only one that worked for me. I was stuck using the sprays for 8 years because I couldn't sleep at night, and the feeling of breathing through your mouth for the 'cold turkey week' was just such pure hell I couldn't manage it. THIS is what works.

I tried Rhinostat. I figured, the only reason you get the rebound congestion in the first place is the result of continued exposure to the vasoconstricting drugs, yes? Lower the exposure slowly, and eventually the rebound effects will lower as well. So I bought a kit. It didn't work because the information with Rhinostat suggests using it in both nostrils at the same time, and the solution becomes too weak too quickly if you use it in the concentration an 'addict' is used to. Then you get rebound effects, run out of diluent, and have to start over again. BUT! Here's how I got off it completely in about a month, with minimal suffering. I still had the rhinostat kit, so I decided to wean myself off the stuff using the diluent method; threw away the stuff they gave me, cleaned out the bottles thoroughly. I bought one bottle of Otrivine drops for the left nostril only (the worst affected one) and used the rhinostat method on the right nostril first with another bottle of Otrivine, and diluting every day what went into that nostril. IN ADDITION, I made up a solution of ordinary table salt and water in the rhinostat diluent bottle and used it frequently on both nostrils in between applications of the nasal drops. In a week I was 50% off the Otrivine in the right nostril, and still on the full amount of Otrivine in the left. The key is using the salt solution I made, because it acts like a weaker version of the drug, drawing water from the swelling of the nasal tissues out of the tissues (instead of constricting the blood vessels), but there is no side effects from ordinary salt water. Using it frequently, it lubricates the nose, keeps the swelling down, and isn't unpleasant in any way. Also, each day I topped up the diluting bottle with more of the same salt water. By three weeks, the right nostril was practically free, and for some reason, once I started on the left, it only took three days of that and using salt solution for it to calm down and not need the Otrivine. Wonderful! I barely noticed the process, and I think it's all down to regular use of the salt water. Yogis use it daily as a cleansing practice, and it's in no way harmful. I am still using it whenever my nose dries out because after 8 years I'm sure the lining of my nose has some healing to do, and it still dries out frequently, or whenever I'm near someone who is smoking. But - I'm free of the drugs, and it feels wonderful not to have to reach for that little bottle every few hours, or have to go and buy it weekly, and of course my nose doesn't swell up when it isn't getting it anymore... just whenever it feels a bit dry the salt sorts it out.

So there it is folks - Rhinostat didn't work, but the bottles they sent me I used in a dilution method I cooked up worked for me, so why not try it with any small sterilised dropper bottles and some home-made saline? Yes, I still use the saline, but my nose lining probably needs a while for the cilia to grow back so it can operate like a normal nose lining again, and saline is safe, extremely cheap to make, and has no rebound effects.
Oh, and P.S - never try to wean off BOTH nostrils at once - you'll notice the discomfort too much! Keep your worst (most easily blocked) nostril on the full amount of nasal spray while you free up the better one with weaning it off the spray. Administer saline to both nostrils, but only wean one from the drug at a time. Once the better one is free, start on the other, and the process might (through force of habit or some psychosomatic aspect perhaps) be a lot quicker and easier than the first, like mine was!

Good luck, but it really is just a matter of simple chemistry and sticking to the plan!
Well done you did really well, I'm glad you are well on the road to recovery. Like you I was addicted to otrivine for many years and as a result the lining of my nose becomes dry frequently - I guess like you say it could take time for things to settle down. Your idea of using a saline solution whilst you were trying to wean yourself off the otrivine was  a very good one and I wish I'd thought of that. I have more recently discovered a product in Boots the chemist called Sterimar which probably does exactly what you described - it's brilliant and would recommend that to anyone desperate for a little relief whilst trying to tackle rebound congestion or post addiction dryness (it's an all natural salt water spray with easy to use nozzle - really great for young children with colds too it is safe for anyone to use with no side affect - £6-7.00 pounds from Boots in UK). I also find now that if I get the slightest cold I am prone to suffering from very blocked sinuses, I have found an all natural product called Sinol helps me with this though it is a bit pricey and I don't know if it would suit everyone.The sterimar salt water solution also helps with this sinus problem I now have from time to time. Good luck to you all.
I can't believe how uninformed people are. The ingredient in the nasal sprays that causes the rebound effect is benzalkonium chloride. It is used as a preservative in most steroid nasal sprays and the OTC nasal sprays like Afrin and Dristan and it is also in those so called "natural" nasal sprays like Sinol. I used Sinol for a week and got a nasty rebound congestion from it. Luckily I have Rhinocort(no benzalkonium chloride) so I am using that to help combat it while my nose gets back to normal. If you are using "all natural" sinol look up the preservative benzalkonium chloride and see what just exactly you are squirting up your nose-that ingredient is far from being "natural" as they claim.
hey buddy, you posted this on a very old thread, and may very easily get overlooked.

hope you will repost on a new thread...

warm wishes,
mj
I've been addicted to  Vicks 12 hour nasal spray for 30 years. Was addicted to speed for 15 and I must say it was alot easier quitting that than it is the nasal spray. It's very embarrasing so most people don't know and I never realized how many people had this same problem. I went to a doc years ago who prescribed Flonaise which really was helping and keeping ,e off the vicks but then I ran out and was to embarresed to go back and ask for more so I was right back on the vicks again. I have no insurance now and hav'nt in 16 years so a doc is out of the question. I would love to get off thios **** but it's impossible cause I just can't deal with life without it. Also I wonder if this is not was causes all the headaches I get- I take 4 naproxen every day for the past 15 years, sometimes more because the headaches are horrible. I was on here looking up the vicks 12 hour spray that seems to have changed for the worst. Now comes in bottle with green cap and I swear it different- does'nt work at all and not one store (and I've been in every store in my towm) has what I was buying before- the all have the **** with the green cap which does'nt work at all. Can anyone help me out- did they change or what?
           Laura
I too am addicted to nasal spray.  When I was addicted in the past, I would withdrawal by substituting the nasal spray for a saline solution (with doesn't cause rebound and helps you to breath).  Also, there is something you can get from your doctor - it's a nasal spray that you use along with the spray you're addicted to and it prevents the rebound and allows you to ween off without soffocating (sorry, I don't remember the name of it - your doctor should know).
I have been using nasal sprays for years now and it has been of concern to me for a long tim. Whenever I tried to go cold turkey, I end up caving in because it is so uncomfortable with the pressure. But I didn't want the surgery ....so this is what I did
I began to cut back on squirts...I used two each time and cut it back to one each time for the first day.
The second day I continued in the same way, slowly getting the nasal passages used to a lesser dose.
I only needed to use mine twice a day mostly but I know many people use more so cut it back gradually over a few days.
For me on the third day I only give my left nasal passage one squirt when I really needed it. It is a hard day but not as hard as you expect because you can still breath and there isn't that awful pressure if you go cold turkey.
After 4 or 5 days it is breathing on its own so for a few days with the passage that has been getting the spray I used it only when I truly needed it.
Then because the right passage is still working better, I cut it out altogether.
I have been it after just over a week. And I believe I have had this addiction for in excess of 15 yrs!! Now if I can do this, anybody can...good luck guys...YOu can do this
I have been using nasal spray since the 12th grade. I am now 28. I used it b/c I would stuff up at night and it was completely aggravating to NOT be able to breathe at night. I am on day 2 of "cold turkey". Its tough! Last night was the worst. I could not sleep at all. I have an uncle who would go off and on w/ the use of nasal spray and I was told you would clear up after a week or two. Sounds tough, but the sinus headaches I've been experiencing lately are worse then my anxiety for nasal spray. I can't be on nasal spray forever. It has to be causing some kind of damage to the nasal passage or sinuses, I would think. But yesterday when I stopped, my headache that I had for 5 days straight, went away. Ur nasal cavity will swell n unswell through out the day. I think the toughest part will be at night. Vicks nasal strips help. So I'm going to give it my best shot!  
My dad was addicted to nasal spray about 2 years ago and once he finally quit using it he said that he wasnt at all addicted to the nose spray at all but he would just pick it up and use it not even realizing he was using it even when he didnt need it at all because he said it just became a bad habit to pick it up and use it because he was used to doing it all the time just like any other bad habit

ABritt
chrissteena,

I was addicted to sprays as well and here's what I did to break the cycle. I went to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor, and he put me on a prednisone pak. By the second night, I was cleared up, and could breathe without using those lousy sprays, and now all I use is a saline spray to moisten my nasal passages. Try it. It worked for me
I have been struggling on and off for almost 4 years with an addiction to nasal spray. because my nose broke in a car accident 2 years ago, my usage of nasal spray has been at an all time high. i've had 2 surgeries, and after the second one i was able to quit using it for 11 months, until i got elbowed in the face and my nose moved and swelled again. i went back on, and have been on ever since (about 8 months now).

yesterday was finally my last straw. it has gotten to the point where it's not even really helping with the congestion,i use upwards of 3 sprays in each nostril and it returns within 10 minutes of using it. i haven't had a good sleep in 2 weeks because of congestion.

so i went and got some sudafed and some saline nasal mist. and then i went to the doctor and he prescribed me nasonex.

i took the nasonex right away, and have been on constant sudafed. i had to use nasal spray for about 6 hours yesterday, then right before bed i used the nasonex again (its twice daily as prescribed). then i used one spray of nasal spray in each nostril, along with a spray of saline nasal mist. i slept through the night and woke up not very congested!

now don't let this fool you, i am still quite congested while i'm weaning myself off of nasal spray and on to nasonex, but it has definitely eased the process and i am not getting completely blocked up! nasonex takes up to 1-2 weeks to take its full effect, but i can definitely tell its doing something already.

during the next 2 weeks while the nasonex kicks in, i'll be adding saline to my nasal spray in higher and higher amounts.

i saw a ray of hope last night with a solid night sleep breathing through my nose.

just to let you all know that there's hope and ways out of this addiction.
Wow Hi! I'm here to kick pill addiction and I'm a newbie so no advice for anyone on that. But the nasal spray addiction, I've been through that and IT *****! I have allergies so been on the spray for years. Back in february I started using the 4 way fast acting. That was a big mistake. wound up desperate in my drs office one morning (I was actually waiting in the snow @ 8 for them to open). He gave me nasonex and a few other things it was hell waiting for that stuff to work. Not being able to breath really freaks people out. So. finally a pharmacist told me about a method and turned me on to the saline. The method is to use the spray on one nostril. Let the other heal. Then go to the other. And clean with the saline. This was a life saver. Within 2 days the one nostil with the help of only the saline was opening. Then the other took 3 days and I was done. Never touch that crap again. When my nose is stuffed now i ride it out. Just went thru the worst of hayfever season and i'm good. So many people suffer from this and don't have a clue as what to do. Hope I can help someone with this cuz it really is the worst thing ever. Can't believe I'm such a wus about alittle pill WDs...
its winnipeggirl again... update!

the nasonex is starting to kick in, im using less sudafed every day too.

the first day when i tried weaning both nostrils off the nasal spray was hell, so i decided to try the one nostril at a time method too! i found one called dristan fast acting, which has a different chemical than the ones i've been using so it keeps the one nostril REALLY clear so i don't go insane, since the other ones i was using were barely doing anything for me anymore.

anyway, its day 3 of only having one nostril on the spray, the other one i'm using saline only and the congestion comes and goes in it. but it's never been completely closed up, which is great.

one nostril at a time! it works! i have a deviated septum so its a bit more difficult for me to tell if the one is getting completely cleared up. so i'm just going to wait a solid week before i try to get the other one off.
I have been addicted to nasal spray for about 4 years now. But my allergyst gives me a treatment that keeps me clear for 3 months!!! She gives me one shot and about 6 prednisone pills. I believe they may both be prednisone. I am not completely sure. I just know one of them is Prednisone. Although it is only temporary and after every 3 month mark, I begin to feel the nasal passages closing up. I wish the 3months lasted longer because I seriously am 100% clear for that period of time. I am currently looking into other alternatives, like suregery. The thought of goinf through this my whole life scares me! As you all know, its uncomfortable, irritating and can bring anxiety if you dont have that nsal spray bottle around at all times!  I will try some of the suggestions on here also. good luck to everyone, I am glad I came across this site!
I was addicted to Afrin for 6 years. When ever I stopped using it I couldn't breath so I continually used it for years.

I got the flu last year and didn't use it for 4 days. After that I could breath normal again,
It's been around 14 months now and I will never use nasal spray again.
If you can just breath out of your mouth without using your nose for about 3 days you will be back to normal.

I was addicted to nasal spray for over a month.
I started by throwing away the contents of every bottle that I had (in my purse, coat, night-stand, job drawer) and replacing it with simple saline. The saline doesn't do anything for me, but knowing that it isn't habit-forming, I could use it over and over again, every 5, 10, 15 minutes, whenever I felt like I couldn't breathe and needed my spray.
At night I took 2 nasal decongestant pills, for 3 nights in a row. Every time I woke up not able to breath, I did the saline.
It is my 5th day now, and I am completely off any pills, spray, saline.
there are ways to reverse nasal spray addiction.  the natural way is to pinch your nose and blow until your ears pop, do it 2 or 3 times about 3 times a day.  you'll notice it decongests you intantly but then goes congested again, it takes a week or two.  then the alternative is a steroid called betnasol nasal drops, put them in bed time and fall asleep on your back, then 2 hours before getting up in morning, put the drops in and go back to sleep. takes about 2 days to notice difference, about 1 week and you are off dprays for good.
good luck
Don't panic all that it takes is to quite but you need be mentally decided. You will go through a couple of hard days and you could even experience some nausea and loss of appetite. If you start slow it may be less hard on your body so try to start doing it during the day. Use it less and less every day and then stop using it at night. The problem is not to use it when you get sick otherwise yo will get addicted again.My best advice is to exercise, sleep at least 8 hours and eat properly.

Good luck!
I used Otrivin for about an year to get rid of my blocked nose..i thought i will never be able to breathe without Otrivin....then i started searching about overuse of nasal spray and found that nasal spray could worsen the condition....and there is only one way to get out of this problem...stop using nasal spray....i had to undergo cold turkey for about 3-4 days...and after that i am perfectly alright....i know its not easy..and its horrible to sleep with blocked nose..but 4-5 days of struggle may solve your problem....i used vicks inhaler so that i could breathe from one side....you can also take the help of mustard oil...all you have to do is heat some quantity of mustard oil and garlic on gas and keep it in a bottle....apply this oil inside and outside your nose two times a day..whenever you apply this oil heat it a little....applying mustard oil helps in getting rid of the cough stored in your nose.

Hope this may help

Regards

Ankita
I just came across this thread... I know it's old but I will contribute my experience.

I have been addicted to nasal sprays about 3 or 4 times in my life, serious addictions. My first I was about 22, was living and working in the UK (I'm from Australia) and my allergies over there were shocking. I had heyfever 24 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end. Before going to England I had never had heyfever in my life. Antihistamines did nothing but nasal spray helped me breath. After about 8 months, towards the end I was spraying every 5 minutes. Like someone else said, I had a nasal spray in every bag, pocket, purse, draw, under the pillow... you name it. I saw a doctor because it just stopped working all together and I was told that I had to go cold turkey. I was screaming outside and in. I have never taken recreational drugs but this is my closest experience to being a drug addict. My second day into cold turkey weaning, I seriously (and I mean seriously) wanted to throw myself in front of a truck and be put out of my misery. I cried and screamed at my now husband for now giving me the nasal sprays which I had previously asked him to hide from me. It was awful but I got there.

My last nasal spray addiction was this time last year and I am now 32. I tried the one nostril at a time approach but it didn't work for me. With one side being so stuffy and congested and feeling like my eye ball on that side was going to pop out, and the other side clear (for 10 minutes at a time anyway) made me feel physically unbalanced as well as anxious and short tempered to say the least. The way I weaned was to keep a dairy and delay each subsequent use by 15 minutes. The next time I would really need my spray, I would FORCE myself to wait 15 more minutes, then 30 minutes, then 45 minutes and so on. Those intervals were absolutely terrible but manageable. The good thing about that approach though is that the weaning was happening so quickly. After only a day The intervals that I was needing it were more spread out. I was pretty much off it 7 days later. It is slower then cold turkey, but more achievable and I felt more control.

Anyway, the reason I came looking for nose spray addiction information is because I have a terrible cold at the moment and have used nasal spray for the last 2 days. This is the first time I am back on it after my addiction a year ago. I KNOW that I am doing the wrong thing here, but oh how it brings such instant relief. I MUST STOP NOW, this stuff it BAD.
They are right! I had this happen to me some 30 yrs ago and sadly - started to use them again about 4 wks ago when I had a head cold and was SO congested! BIG MISTAKE!  As the others said - you don't get addicted to the drug itself but what it DOES - and that is opening up the nasal passages so you can breathe. My Dr. had to put me on a oral steroid for 7 days due to the inflammation and swelling in my nasal passages many years ago - but you're right - it's COLD TURKEY to get over this rebound effect they cause - and the only way IS - is to STOP using them 100%! I found that using an oral decongestant (like Tylenol Cold) works pretty well for 12 hrs at a time and will help you get over the roughest spot of not using the spray any longer...but for days it's NOT fun! I agree that the Breath-Rite strips will help a lot if used at night time as well until those passages and inflammation shrink back to normal again. I am also a RN so I know that all of the above IS good advice as well.
Good luck - you can do this and so did I before...and I was free of this NIGHTMARE for 30 yrs!
I say that the cold turkey thing can work but you will suffer like no other. The best way I have found to get off the stuff is the same way anyone would get off of any drug. Slowly decreasing dosage amount of the nasal spray.

How I did it. I took a quarter bottle of nasal spray. Then I mixed the solution with plain saline water (salt water). This will also help dry up anything causing drippage. use it for about a week. If you run out remake it. You will feel a slight closing but not nearly as bad as cold turkey. After the week put in 1/8 bottle of nose spray and fill the rest with the saline. continue for another week. Then keep cutting back. I remember the last time I used it I was putting in one drop of nose spray and the rest saline. at that point I just said screw it theres no point now. And I was right after stopping it no more swelling.

Also sometimes a anti inflamatory like motrin can help with swelling membranes in the nose.

Now the sad thing is I had gotten addicted to the stuff simply because I quite smoking and my nose stopped up after a couple of days of not smoking.

But this method is tried and true and will work and make it more bareable to getting off the stuff. And I also felt the mix worked better than most nose spray for the fact it was drying up dripping and actually made it easier to breathe.
I have the same problem!! and it's driving me crazy:( I went to a few doctors with this problem and they have never heard of it! all they gave me were allergy sprays that did nothing cuz I don't have allergies... and one doctor suggested an operation but that is way to scary for me! I need help so badly! were you able to get rid of your addiction? if so pleeese tell me how you did it.
The only way I got off Otrivin spray was to have nasal turbinate surgery.  I was on the sprays for 10 years.  Surgery was in October and I am drug free today.  No more Otrivin for me.....ever.  :)
I to had a afrin addiction. I used the spray for almost a year! I would carry a bottle in my pocket, at home in my dresser, one at work and one in my car. I would stress everytime i would get low. I did not want to run out and not be able to breath. I researched on the internet and tried everything that everyone was suggesting and nothing worked. Then one day i got a bad, bad sinus infection and a head cold. My Husband went and got me some Mucinex D and I started taking that and it cleared my nose within a week without having to use any of the Afrin. I did have a little stuffiness for about 2 more weeks after that but, it wasnt nothing I couldnt handle. I am completly free of Afrin today and am so happy! I think Afrin nose spray should be taken off the market.  

Hope this works for you and anyone else that reads my post!   Good luck!
I have been using Veramyst for about a month now, and when it stopped working in the first 2 weeks, it made me more congested and I also have asthma and very high risk allergies to other things as well. When I called my asthma specialist and allergist, all he told me was to double up my doses, it doesn't uncongest me at all, so the doctors are telling me to just quit everything at once, which is the WRONG THING TO DO!! When you have asthma, and you can't breathe, not breathing out of each nostril ontop of not being able to breathe from your lungs is about 10 times worse. I've been to the ER 4 times because when I would be sitting upright in a chair, i would start choking on my saliva and let alone water, it kinda *****. And they said I got addicted to it, and it makes me worse. So we have no idea what to do now.
There is strong scientific evidence that nasal decongestants can be ''addictive'' if taken for a longer duration than recommended by the manufacturer.They will actually cause you to need more and more to keep your nasal passages clear.Any M.D.worth his salt will be well aware or this,however the patient MUST INFORM the doctor,or an inaccurate diagnosis can/will occur.Then the doctor can ''wean" the patient off of the nasal spray..
sounds like  addiction to me.
Hi, Stephanie, I am Marc and I know exactly what you are going through.  

I had a nasty little coke habit about 7 years  ago.   I did so much coke that I get blocked so bad  I could get it up my nose....I really  liked that **** I guess.  But I digress.   One  of my  "snowboarding" friends told me to try Nasal Four  - Fast Acting. I disregarded the typical "warning."   It worked wonderfully...no more nasal passage  burnout on the weekends. Well, needless  to say,  once  I was off the coke, I found myself addicted to the Nasal Four  just to breathe.

I typically go through  3 bottles a week and buy 5-6 at a time. I wake up 3-4 times a  night to hit the "bottle."   All day long every  couple of hours.   Hell I can't go anywhere without it.  Sometimes  I even have to stop in  the middle of  sex to hit  the "bottle' right quick so I can breathe again and get back to  business.   Thankfully  I  have an extremely  understanding and patient girlfriend.  Needless to say,  that  began to bother  me...a lot.

I have tried  to stop, but when the chemical effect wears off and you can't  breathe, that **** is  out the window.   I have seen several doctors, got put on Flonase and have had  my turbinins burned.  The steroid spray  worked....sorta, but I am a type 1 diabetic and it really screwed with my blood sugars, and ...since it didn't work that good anyway....I  chalked it up as a  fail and got more  Nasal  Four.  Bam!!!! cleared me right up. So I kept using  it.

Anyway, to get to the heart of the matter, I again saw another doctor last  week and he got started on the whole Flonase  thing,  cold turkey, etc., but he gave it a  twist.   Rather than just putting me  on the Flonase, he also put me on a 6 day MethylPrednisolone regimen.   The idea behind the pills  was  to super charge my system with the  Steroid and  use the Flonase as needed to give additional relief.  

It  is  screwing with my blood sugars pretty bad, but I can BREATHE!!!!!  I started yesterday, Monday, September 17th and it is 2 days later  and I am very, very  pleased.   I  have been able to  sleep  through the night with no breathing  issue.  Today I needed less spray than   yesterday.   I was  actually able to run a nettie pot rinse through both passages!!!  Which was not possible prior.   I am confident that I will be  off the Flonase by the  end of the weekend and breathing unassisted :)

So....my  recommendation,  see your  doctor  and  get started  on the 6  day Methylprednisolone and Flonase PRN...Stat.   If you  keep using the Nasal Four, you run a huge chance of developing saddle nose (nose  flattens)  and other good  stuff like that.   It seems to  me you have a genuine  concern and I hope  this  information and  my own struggle help you in some way.

Good Luck!!!!!
I feel your pain with regards to this problem! Everytime I go through a cold I have to resort to the nasal sprays because I just cannot take being blocked up! I usually end up using the sprays for another couple of months after the cold has gone. I usually wean myself off the spray over a day or two going cold turkey. What I do is work it out so that the effect wears off in the morning or when I get out of bed. Then if I occupy myself during the entire day I find that I start to get relief after about 12 hours in one nostril. It really is a case of perserverance (sorry about my spelling lol) but if you go cold turkey this way you find you will recover. Keep a window open at night for cool air or even keep a small fan on at night if its not too cold. If you can't sleep then read or listen to music. Just try your best and stick with it. The one nostril thing works but I find it takes too long and I end up cracking! I am currently using the spray at the moment (had a cold 3 weeks ago) but Im finding that its giving me headaches now so back to cold turkey! I am relieved to know I am not the only one going through this because for a long time I thought I was weird! It's good to know that other people hate have a blocked nose too! Anyway all the best and wish me luck!

Cole. x
I have been addicted to Otrivin for about 10 years now.  I tried the one nostril at a time thing and didn't like it.  I almost kicked it just recently using a weaning method that has been partially described above.  Recently they pulled the Otrivin off the shelves here and I found myself cut off of my weaning program.. I have switched to Dristan (not nearly as good) but plan to wean off that as well.

The weaning is pretty easy.  I took a empty pump and cut a small hole in it.  Then with a cheap eye dropper I would mix 36 drops Otrivin with 4 drops of saline (10%).  Do that twice ('bout 3-4 days), then 32 drops otrivin and 8 drops of saline..  Then 28 and 12.. finally 24 and 16.. I was down to almost 50/50 when the Otrivin vanished from shelves.  It seemed to be working, i used pretty much as normal and at 24 drops Otrivin I was still getting cleared.

Straight Dristan is far less effective than the diluted Otrivin though..  It'll probably be a tougher battle now but I'm kinda glad they pulled it although it will be coming back I hear at half strength so I may be able to resume right where I left off!

Best of luck!
After reading a bunch of the more recent comments, I can say that evilcowboy comes the closest to the right way to get off these nasal sprays! There is now a company that actually offers a kit that I have gotten. It is called Rhinostat. Go to Rhinostatnc.com. It is a weaning process. They give you a small bottle of your kind of nose spray with a larger bottle of purified, preservative free, saline, that you add as a dilutent over time. It takes abotu 17 - 28 days to go through, but both sides of your nose are clear during the process! None of the "let one side be free and the other side close off: B.S,! Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it! My anxiety and nervousness have increased so much since being on the 4 hour nasal spray that used to work for 2 hours, now I'm at 2.5 - 3 hours. I even set my  alarm for every 2.5 hours so I don't plug up. I have plugged up aabout 4 times in the last 7-8 months that it scares me so much I knew I had to get off this nasal spray. The new system wants you to use drops but I found some new nasal spray bottles that I ordered and am going to put the solution in that and use it like my normal spray since that is what I am used to. I beleive it is going to work! If you go to their site they have a lot of testimonials, that say how well it works. I'm scared to the point of paranoia sometimes and I hate it! I hate that my life is being controlled by a little white plastic bottle with some clear liquid in it!
On top of all that, for those using the saline, look at the labels! There is a chemical called Benzalkonium Chloride in all of the nasal sprays and salines. It is a disinfectant used to clean surgical equipment, and floors! IT says to not take it interally, and it causes.....swelling! Now why would these companies put in what they call a preservative into a product that is supposed to help us breathe, that results in our nose swell more? Answer me that one, someone, please!
Anyway, I hope that Stephanie and anyone else that has posted here has either found relief or like me is about to, These nasal sprays should either be banned, or taken off the shelves until they are made safe with no rebound effect! The addiction is not to the product, it's the to the natural, two nostril ability to breathe! We have two nostrils! We should be able to breathe out of both of them! For some of us it panics when we can't. For some it's only an a small problem. I envy those people! The fear is very real for me, and I stand 6'5" and feel like about 2" high when I get like this.
I am going to defeat this. I am going to win! It's just going to take longer than I want it to. I want cured now! Wish me luck and ask me anything you want. I am here to help anyone else looking for relief! Thank you!
JB, please don't speak if you don't know. Nasal spray addiction has nothing to do with mental issues like drug and alcohol addictions! It is completely physical... It states in very fine print not to use more than 3 days... But that should be in huge bold print right on the label! What happens is if you use more than 3 days, afterwards you have to continue to use because if you don't your entire nasal passage gets completely blocked off that you can't breathe at all with your nose. But it congests you so badly that your head feels like you're 500m under water... The pressure is very intense and it will give you a bad headache if not relieved right away! Also, breathing through the mouth with you're entire nasal passage blocked off and so much pressure is very tough and uncomfortable, quickly drying out your entire mouth and throat to the point where you can't even breathe through the mouth! I personally have been addicted for about 2 years now. I go through 1mL spray bottle of OXYMETAZOLINE HCL 0.05%, which is your standard Afrin and 1mL spray bottle of PHENYLEPHRINE HCL 1%, your standard 4-Way Nasal Spray, but for both I buy store brand because it's cheaper going through both 1mL bottles every 1.5-2weeks, 1-2 sprays of each about every 2-5 hours depending on how much mucous has built up over the day, and other factors! It is freaking horrible and I've tried nasal pills, Nasonex, saline flush, this herbal spray that's like spraying Vic's Vapor Rub into your nose, and nothing works at all! I have no clue as to how I can get off, and cold turkey would be unbearable! So please don't tell us to go see an addiction specialist as if we're addicted to drugs and alcohol because there's nothing mental about it! Just can't breathe without it!