Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
need help finding a detox recipe for a 5yr pain killer addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Help my husband and myself have been addicted to vicodin, percocet, or tramadol(ultram), for 5 yrs. I have tried many times to wein myself from these demons but everytime i get so close to freedom it drags me back in. I saw someone post a recipe including supplements to help with symtom withdrawl (withdrawal). Not sure if I'm right but saw something called Thomas's recipe and am wondering what it includes or if there are any others out there. Please help!
hi and welcome!  the Thomas recipe has great ingredients to help ease the WDs from the opiates....it's at the bottom right of this page.....just make sure you hydrate....gatorade, boost or ensure when you can't eat....and sleep when you can.....take hot baths with epsom salts.....it will help with anxiety and calm you down a bit. also the salts help with magnesium for RLS if you get that.  Just keep posting for support..this site is awesome for help and info!  
I posted on your later post.  Thought I would post my info about detox just for info and support as you figure it all out.

I kept telling myself...YOU HAVE the FLU!  It will be over and I will feel so much better.  My brain seemed to get that and settled down a little.  It is hard, but doable!  The Thomas Recipe (bottom of the page) under Health Pages will help.  I had to cut back on the Ltryosine, but the rest really helped.  Imodium (immodium), Imodium (immodium), Imodium (immodium) (liquid or pills if the liquid can't be found or you can't swallow it) will help.  I took double the dosage for a few days (personal choice) and it helped so much..even with the withdrawals in general and the opiate trots which sucked.  

Hydrate and eat! ((gatorade is good) Even if it is just a little every hour or so.(boost or ensure might work for both food and drink)  You have to eat something to keep your energy up as much as possible.  

If you have Restless legs..it is hit or miss what works.  Walking seemed to help me some.  Hot bath with epsom salts..a little.  I finally had to get my doctor to refill my restless legs meds (non addictive) to get some sleep.  If nothing works,your doctor might help.  Benedryl or OTC Alteril helps some with sleep issues and you will have them.

One hour at a time is all anyone can ask.  After 2 weeks it gets a little better and I started to say, One day at a time!  Your brain will do all sorts of things to get you to take a pill.  I found if I was hungry..the cravings got worse.  I would try to eat a banana, a few grapes or a few crackers to get that under control.  If you like avocados they have more potassium than bananas and can help with food intake.

The hardest part comes after the detox.  Your brain will be all over the place and will try to get you back on the pills...It is having to work and not depend on the pills to help.  

Good for you.  I hope all goes well.  You have made a good start coming here....this site has helped me so much!!!  Keep posting!!!!!
It is called Thomas recipe. Your withdrawals are gonna be bad no matter what but this will help get through them. Good luck to you.