Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
need help with learning to recognize my stress triggers

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am coming off of a 20+ norco 10/325 a day for over a year.  am taking time away from my business to get myself together and break this viscious cycle that I have been in. I asked my Wife for help and she is helping me taper and is controlling  the meds. I am getting through it with all the help from this community and a strong will to wean myself off of these little yellow demons but it seems like everytime I get a [hone call from my brother who is a partner in my Business,I get so majorly stressed and it affects me in a bad way. He called me last night as I was gettind ready to try and get some slepp(very precious thing sleep) wanting the keys to unlock mypersonal file cabinet in my office. I freaked out and stressed big time and as a result have been unable to get any rest that has helped .So how do any of yall deal with your stress triggers and how do you identify them all? It would appear that I have a very low tolerance to stress and I personally believe that stress is what caused me to abuse my pain meds in the first place. Any comments? Any help? Anybody else have to ride the same roller coaster as me? Thanks for any and all resonses.
                                                      Michael
Great decision to stop the cycle,

Keep in mind that as you enter wd your stresses will be amplified.

My experience with wd had very wild swinging emotions.  I remember freaking out on a total stranger that said something racist to me.  I mean I lost it.  The friend with me looked at me like I had a 3rd eye because it was so out of character for me.  I couldn't watch any sad movies or listen to slow songs because they REALLY depressed me too.

Just realize that everything is amplified now.  Understand that things will improve greatly when wd is over.  As addicts we tell ourselves ANYTHING as an excuse to use again.  Do not talk yourself into taking more for the "stress".  It is a lie, when this battle is over, your new clarity will let you see what I have just told you.

Hang in there and good-luck!!!!!

bob
Wow Bob,thank you so much for the positive reinforcement,I am sure you know how we all need them specially us newbies here. I will definelty use your advice to win this battle wth no doubts as to the long road that I am walkng down this very minute. Yes my emotions are crazy,my reactios too. Thats all I need though is to have my stress amplified------dang it. I am learning new stuff about myself and the demon pit that I created for myself along with it. I just hope that I can learn to deal with the "new" stress's that I am feeling. I also want to learn how to recognize any new triggers as they come and how to deal witht them without turning to my distraction so to speak. With the help of all of yall I am very hopeful that I can do it. Thanks again Bob for your valueable insight. Thank you very much indeed and please forgive me if I might lean on you in the not to distant future :)
                                                              Michael
Hey crashed------what you are feeling is normal and it sucs-----I went through it in november --------I have been addicted to percocet for 6 years and have been clean since then-------I dealt with major depression and anxiety after going c/t but after about a week things started to turn around--------i cut down to about 80 mgs before I went c/t-------I came to the point in my addiction that I had had enough ----------My biggest trigger was having an alcohol hangover------Pop a pill and no hangover-------I no longer drink alcohol------It is important to identify triggers-------I hope you have a great day------Jon
Hi.  Yep we all have our triggers...you will feel that stress/anxiety for awhile.  I did.  It will go away slowly after you totally w/d from your meds.  Im 117 i think clean, and trust me, your brain will get back to normal and you will be able to handle the stress of life so much easier being clean.  We all have built in de-stressors so to speak in our brain and when they are on drugs, it is a false de-stressor.  Am i making sense?  Your brain will get back to normal and have the ability to handle any stess with it's own natural drugs.  I hope this made sense,  dont sound like I am to me at all !!
Just keep tapering and soon you will feel less stressed.  Here's hoping you have a successful withdrawal off those little yellow demons :)