Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
newborn withdrawl(withdrawal) from methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, have been clean for a year now, and I am on methadone. I am really concerned with my babies delivery and if I will be able to stay at the hospital with him/her while she is getting weaned off/medicated/observed. I know they will hold him/her for at least 4 days to observe, but I just want to be there with my baby the whole time, through it all. I don't want to leave his/her side!!! Also, I know if the mother is present during the withdrawl (withdrawal) it helps a hell of a lot. Has anyone been through this? Will they let me stay? I had only one appointment so far, with only a nurse who was kind of snotty and said "Well, you can visit," and that was all. But it is driving me crazy thinking about leaving the poor baby alone in God knows what setting, with all these strange people- of course I know they are helping and it is for the best but I just want to be there, physically, emotionally, etc. I know I won't be able to sleep at night worrying about my child being without me through that horrible time (that is my fault- I didn't plan to have a kid on methadone). PLEASE get back to me!!!! Thank you,
         Taylor
Tags: pregnant
You just posted twice. Let's keep it to one. Your choice... It will be so hard to follow....
you have only spoken to one person regarding this? have you discussed this with your physician? do you have any plans to wean down from the methadone. do not let panic get the best of you. there are many plans you can follow with the determination to get completely clean. then there is no way they can keep you from your child. i would look into this carefully. there are links on my profile that you are welcome to. you may also leave questions if you need to.
Hi Taylor,
By clean for a year, do you mean on the methodone program during that time?  Since it's still early in your pregnancy, I would talk to the people at the methodone clinic about weaning you off of it. I am pregnant myself & have been on norco. So far, I'm doing ok tapering down, but I'm not there yet & still afraid of not being able to do it on my own. But I do know there are specific clinics that deal w/ pregnant women & methodone. I've always been under the impression their goal was to get the mother off methodone before delivery. These places will give you priority because of your pregnancy.
runt316 is correct. i have counseled many pregnant women while they are still using. the goal is to wean them off. at 12 weeks this should not be a problem.and runt316 you CAN do this. i can provide you with a taper schedule if you need it. just private message me.
You CANNOT wean off methadone at this time, no matter what you have heard, unless the patient is on a small dose.
I am on 120 mgs and if I wean off , I will most likely have a miscarriage. I have a Doctor at the clinic I go to, and a OBGYN AND my regular doctor and they have all said I cannot, CANNOT wean off it. I don't know why so many people think this is always okay to do; I know mothers who have weaned off it at very low doses early on successfully, and ones who have went against the Dr.s orders and have miscarried. I would never risk that. Methadone is not physically or mentally harmful to the child(and usually they don't use methadone to detox the baby). 50% of babies go through the withdrawal (which has nothing to do with the amount of dose that the mother is taking) and it is sweating, gastrointestonal irritation, more crying, less sleep, sneezing, etc. (Not the big bad Withdrawal people think it will be) - and the babies will not be cold turkey. My question was simply if I could stay with the baby for as long as I wanted- sleeping there and all. Thanks a lot though, spread the word. I appreciate your help and advice- but before advicing others to wean off before getting the details be careful that they don't do it and make a mistake.
Taylor
this is my first time on the site, i am TRULY SORRY i posted twice. God forgive me . ha
whether you can stay at the hospital is something we cant tell you that's up to hospital policy....good  luck
That was not necessary hun. We try and help here and want you to get all the advise. If you stay with one post, you will get all the advise and people will be able to help you better. Hope you got what you need.
yes ive been off of herion for a year, and have been on methadone and it really has helped to save my life. And also i am dependent on it, compared to shooting herion everyday for years and years, i do consider myself COMPLETELY clean. im not addicted to methadone, just dependent, like i said. i wasnt planning to even be on it for this long. of course i wish i wasnt pregnant and on methadone, but, like i said, it was an unplanned pregnancy... betterlife thanks Ansd runt lol. i hope that i can stay with my baby as long as i can because babies going through withdrawal do better with their mothers at their side. hopefully we won't be there for more than four days. But, I wish I could, I can't wean off it now. I wouldn't even need a doctor to tell me this- my own body and my intuition does( i am soooo morning sick- all day- and more than naseous and i know if i started to go down on meth. my body would NOT be able to take it all, im very sensative, and i don't think i could hold my baby). So i am going with ALL of the doctors orders, and my own feelings, and the safest thing.
Thank you guys a lot, im sorry if i sounded snappy in my first response- i just got some mean feedback in the 34 and under (or something) forum and got frustrated that people don't get that I, personally, can't wean off. And that they think I am just another scummy pregnant drug addict who doesn't care about my child- which is the FARTHEST from the truth!!! Thank you guys for your help- private message me to talk more or hear whats up!!! Thanks, taylor -and sorry again if i sounded snippyyy
I understand your concern to be with your baby at all times after the birth. You can write a birth plan about your wishes and give it to your dr to sign out off on. My wife and i did that with our last two children. It can take alot of stress away from the birth  You also need to check with your ins company how they cover an extended stay. You can google mothers birth plan to get some ideas what and how to write it. Congrats on the baby.