nicotine gum
  I have been chewing nicotine gum (2mg) for over 4 years, in the past 4 months I have been having a hard time talking
and clearing my throte alot, close family members wonder why my voice has changed. could it be the gum?
  or could it just be nasal drainage which I also have periodicly.  
                                                                                                     Thanks  Nicotim
Good question. I'm a smoker but I've never tried the gum to quit smoking however my ex husband used it successfully, still smoke free after about 5 years. Like you he still chews the gum and is having a hard time getting off of it.

I haven't noticed him clearing his throat alot or any changes in his voice. It sounds like it really could be a sinus issue.
My Grandpa used the gum but stopped chewing it after a couple months. he smokes for over 50 years and is still smoke free now and it has been 15 years!! He never had that problem but he did not continue to chew it. Maybe you can google it to see if that is a side effect if you chew it long term. Good luck!
Absolutely.  I have had a weakness in my ability to speak. I've read about other people with the same problem.  Try chewing less....duh, 13 years chewing.  Still beats smoking!!!
Yes it does. I know you asked this question long ago. But the answer is yes. This gum is dangerous. I chewed it for 8 years. My voice changed and was gone most of the time. I had stomach issues and was on stomach meds daily. I quit the gum 3 weeks ago. Since then my voice has gotten 50 percent better i can talk again and sound like my old self kind of. And low and behold. No more need for stomach meds gone poof just like that. That gun is highly addictive and damaging physically. I have many more probs like high blood pressure that seems to be returning to normal as well. New users: use it for 12 weeks or not it all. This stuff is poison.