Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
norco 10/325

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

norco 10/325

Very sad, my doc wont refill my prescription, i have been taking 2-6 norco 10/325 for 6 months and vicodin 5/500 for almost 2 years. I am scared I wont be able to do it. I have a 1 year old baby to look after and have ZERO energy when I don't take them. How can i make it more comfy to stop taking norco and how can i get more energy? What should I be expecting to feel?
First can I ask why won't your DR. refill? Does he prescribe both meds?? If he is cutting you off ct on good terms I would ask him to help taper you down or presc. some comfort meds. You can do it and you should give it an honest effort for your 1yr old! I have 85 days clean w/ a 2yr old and it's been the biggest battle getting off H but the best battle I could have fought for her!!! Good Luck
do you have any to taper?
I have 29 left. He started prescribing vic then upped it to norco. How would I taper?
I have used other drugs and alcohol in the past and have successfully quit those includin crystal meth about 7 years ago, so at times I feel like I am always substituting. My doc gave me 120 w/ 4 refills and i refilled my last one on 7/31. I also thing they may have made me depressed. No one, not even my husband knows that I take them, I hide them from him because he will take them if he knows I have them.
I also have soma's, can that help me feel better while getting of the norco? norco is 100% my drug of coice, soma is almost useless compared to norco's and I am sure I am not addicted to those, my doc gave me 100 with 4 refills and i still have 2 refills left. I really really need some help and guidance, anything will help me, I just need to know that i can do it :(
You are scaring me here. First you had an addiction to street drugs and alcohol years ago, now it is pills, now you are asking if you take Soma to make you "feel better" during withdrawal. This has to end before you do something serious to harm yourself. I have been where you are and it never turns out good.

You can taper with the 29 pills but it is going to be fast and then the physical withdrawal will last 5 days or so. Tapering is difficult so I suggest that you have someone hold them for you and dole them out according to the plan.

I pray that you will get through this and get off of all drugs. You CAN do this with some planning, help from love ones and outside support.
You can do it....there are plenty of others here that have done it. Not always the first attempt - but you can do it. You really havent been taking that much nor for that long.....but hydrocodone (norcs & vic's) was never intended to be used for "energy"...... Now is a very good time to take serious look at things. Most likely you were using them as an antidepressant - - they are not good for depression even though they work short term for it. The pills will inevitably cause more serious problems than they were initally prescribed for. Look up the Thomas Recipe and the Amino Acid Protocols (use medhelp search engine) and read them. Do your homework very diligently and you will be able to address your questions. Not trying to sound pompous or anything - but people learn and retain information much better when they look it up themselves; instead of having it read to them. Keep posting here with questions and for support.........particularly look at L-Tyrosine for the energy issues - - lots of good folks here that will help and support your efforts- - and that have been in your shoes themselves before..........
Those pills give you a false sense of everything.  You will be surprised to find out how much energy you really do have once you stop them.  WD is no fun but theeagle gave you some places to check out.  Start with positive thinking and telling yourself you can do this.  We are here to help as we have been in your shoes before........sara
I have felt maybe I was depressed, but I thought it was caused by the norco's. I was never addicted to alcohol, havent drank since easter. i think the meth thing was a bored thing when i was late teen early twenty's, I had an anxiety attack from meth and never used it since that day, then I started smoking pot, then i quit and started drinking, then i got pregnant and everything stopped. 6 months into my pregnancy i got sciatica and was prescribed vicodin and after i gave birth, norco. How do i not substitute. i feel better when i smoke pot, but i cant take care of my daily duties, i feel like it was ok to take the pills because i was prescribed them. I just dont want this cycle to continue. i want to be clean of EVERYTHING. Maybe I am just not happy when my mind isnt altered. I dont want people to think I am a crazy drug addict, the people i am surrounded by are very conservative and would look down on me for this. what is the underlying problem with me that makes me want to alter my mind? any ideas?
We cant tell you what the underlying problem is.  Aftercare is very important to a successful recovery.  NA/AA, counselor or even a minister is a good place to start.  
BINGO! You hit it right on the head. that is what you need to find out. You need to find out why you NEED something outside yourself to make you feel better, or this cycle will continue.

Great suggestions Sarah.
From a crazy drug addict. :)

You might want to see a psychiatrist. Some mental disorders cause drug abuse a symptom. And by using drugs, you could be self medicating that. Most are very treatable. I'm not sure if that's more socially acceptable though.:)

As for taking the Soma during wd, I took diazapam which did nothing for me. If I had Soma and it would have helped, I would have taken it. It's short term after all bearing in mind withdrawal lasts about a week.

You are catching on quite rapidly mmmkells. Introspection would be examining your own life events to find out why you feel this need and compulsion to alter the brain constantly. This forum is good for self reflection. Also NA or AA are places to start. Simply by sharing your story - verbally at a meeting or on the computer - you are forced to look at and think about things. And you may do it in a non threatening manner. It sounds like you are moderately isolated from peer group support and communication. Telling your story is important. You may tell your story here completely anonomously - - -  Bottom line for me is that you have a decent poly drug abuse history. And you seem to be in denial about being frankly honest with even yourself. I do understand what you are saying and what you mean. But the situation is not a cookie cutter one size fits all thing. The underlying problem with these things is different for everyone. But the one constant is that they will take everyhting that you value, including your life, if you do not change your current philosophy...... Keep reading and posting and do not stop looking for the answer to your question. The answer will come to you.........
If you really want to rid yourself off of all drugs you will have to just go thru the wd's.  They dont last forever and a week is a short time in getting your life back...drug free.  Soma can be addicting as well.  I would flush anything you have.  I took and still do take Ester C, B-12 and B-6.  Get some gatorade, bananas and immodium.  That will help.  You can do this..........sara
Hmm, I thought valium was part of the Thomas Recipe.
Dont be afraid......we are here to help you.       sara
The sad thing is I dont have insurance, so treatment centers and psychiatrist is kind of out of the picture. The weird thing is I had a great childhood and stuff, nothing traumatic ever happened in my life, addiction doesnt run in my family, so it is hard for myself to figure out what may have stemmed this, ya know. I could go to a minister, but I am just so embarrassed for even asking this site for help, if it was not anonymous I know I wouldnt have asked. I have searched and searched on how to help or ween off of this and it always comes back to going to treatment. I have overcome many problems like this one and I don't know why I am so scared to deal with this one. How can I ask my doc if i am depressed or something like that?
Please dont be embarrassed.  I am a 48 yr old mother and grandmother!!  I didnt set out to be an addict either but i am.  NA/AA is free.  Facing our demons is always scary but it is neccessary in our recovery.  
Maybe being isolated without a car has something to do with it. My husband due to the economy has a lower paying job with about 16 hour workdays 7 days a week. We only have one car and he leaves for work at 430 am and doesnt get home until 10 sometimes. I find it difficult to get motivated to do anything, and the only thing to do here is go walking in a hundred degree weather. The closest store is about 10 miles away, i have no friends (everyone who lives up here are retired snobby people) I sit at home, i never even really go downstairs unless i need a drink or need to make dinner. I just feel tired even though i do nothing all day. It's just unbearingly boring.
What are you willing to do to change your situation?
I just need some guidance. It's hard, I have a 10 month old, no babysitter, heck if i had one, no money to pay for one. I dont want people close to me to know what i am dealing with, they will think i am a bad mom, especially my husbands family, they are really judgemental. My son means EVERYTHING to me and if it was not for him, i probably wouldnt even get out of bed. I have taken vicodin in the past and stopped taking them, but now it has been so long, and i feel like i wont be able to do anything without them.
If i take 2 at the same time once a day and it is comfortable, how long until i take 1 a day? what will i feel like and how long until i can function like a normal person? should i take 1 twice a day? should i tell my doc? how do i tell him without sounding like a crazy person? I just want this to pass and be as comfortable as possible. And thank you for talking to me, it means a lot to me.
You are awfully young to decide to retire to your bedroom. It sounds like an antidepressant may be of help to you. But you have to open up to people if you ever expect them to be able to help you out. Also look into L-Tyrosine for the energy thing. Really, you should read the Amino Acid Protocols and the Thomas Recipe on medhelp. Just put it in the search engine and take to heart what you read. 5-HTP would probably also be of some value. And exercise. Even just walk out to the mailbox a few times a day to start. But this something that you must be proactive with. There are no magic bullets to slay this monster - - but it can be killed. Keep posting with questions and for support.........there are some fine people here that only wish to help you out.....and they have been in your shoes themselves.
Yes you will be able to do things without them.  You will want to get out of bed and you will have energy.  These pills are killing you......slowly but surely.  If you arent comfortable sharing anything with your husbands family then dont.  Dont let fear keep you down.  Life is so good clean.....
You can do it. You will need to use those 29 to taper/wean. This is going to be your best bet, I promise you.
4   tomorrow or today
4   next day    
3   next day  
3  
3        
2
2
2        
1
1        
½      
½      
you get the idea, the last 2 days you'll be down to taking half a tab a day. If you're like most addicts you might not keep to the schedule. Your brain will keep telling you "just keep taking what you normally take and I'll get more" - it's stinkin' thinkin'-- we all do it. I promise if you don't wean, you'll hurt more- alot more. Come to terms with the fact that it's going to hurt for a short peroid of time. Losing your kid or your life is much much worse. It's going to hurt, be uncomfortable and not fun. Don't fool yourself into in any- way- shape- form that it's going to be easy! You have to start the process of making your brain KNOW that's this is it. Detox drinks...lots of them, if you don't have a juicer, you can buy drinks in produce dept at grocery store.. usually by fruits. If you have a juicer, use it. Turnips and beets help the most. Carrots, celery - any veggies and fruits. LOTS of bananas, of course eat the bananas you can't put them in a juicer. This will help with the muscle spasms and cramping. You will have loose bowels. You will have anxiety. You will have physical as well as mental withdrawls. NA groups are GREAT. There's lots of people there and listening to their stories helps so much, share your story but you'll learn much more by sitting there LISTENING. You'll see/hear people there that have LOST custody of their children due to Norco. This will help you realize how lucky you are to be going on your own and not to get a paper signed for a judge. Some that go to NA are court ordered, think of it as looking at "what could have been" for you and your daughter. Also, think of the pain as "at least you are feeling something again". You've been numb long enough. You'll find yourself smelling things you haven't noticed because of the meds. Tasting things.. your taste buds are going to wake up as well.. they've been numb too. Sex will be awesome with your husband in about a week or two. You don't realize you've been NUMB... everything is going to wake up.. including you. Use the somas to sleep. Sleep is one of the worst parts of withdrawls. Laying in bed, looking at the ceiling, craving meds, aching, running to the bathroom.. the first week is horrible but if you can sleep.. it'll be sooo much better. When the soreness in your muscles eases up, go to a park with your daughter, smell the grass, feel a tree, touch a leaf.. sounds corny but I promise you--- You'll realize what you've been missing, even a dirty diaper is going to smell wonderful in 2 weeks. Another great idea is a hot tub or a massage. If you don't have access to a hot tub, lay in a hot bath. It will help with muscle cramps and help you relax. Massage Schools are a great place to get a massage from a student that is learning to be a massage therapist. $20 for a one hour massage is a great thing to do for yourself. EAT BANANAS don't miss this. They are full of potassium and will help with muscle cramps and trust me, you'll have them! I was taking 4 Norco at a time, 4 or 5 times a day. Coming off them and not hurting (physically) took me about two and a half weeks, maybe less for you. You will feel alot better the first week if you're weaning. Cold turkey is much more painful and your brain is going to freak out, weaning with the 29 you have will help. If you take all 29 in the next few days, then you'll pay for it. Just remember that. YOU CAN DO THIS FOR YOURSELF- YOU MUST DO THIS FOR YOUR DAUGHTER!! If you have any questions you that are embarrassing or you don't want everyone to see, send me a message. I'm a nurse married to a nurse practitioner so I'll help you all I can. You must help yourself before anyone can help you. It's a blessing your doctor won't refill. You will realize this in about 2 weeks. Much love and respect to you. It's a bumpy road for the first 2 miles but it's a beautiful road to travel down on the road of life!! (much better than a ditch, dirt road or even worse -a dead end)
there is now an OTC med for Restless Leg. I think it starts with an "H", but the name escapes me.

good luck
Doingitright impressed me with the whole taper and long explanation. It makes sense to me and what doesn't make sense is to take soma, a dangerous unpredictable drug. all the best
The restless legs commercial preperation is available at Walmart and is called Hylands Restful Legs I believe - - - -  some swear that it saved their lives - others say that it didnt do a thing.
Sorry if it was long, I tend to ramble about things I am passionate about. I only mentioned my opinion on the soma because when I went thru it, my son was young like her child is. It was horrible not sleeping all night but yet dozed off a few times during the day. Not safe to doze off with a baby in the house, especially in her case with no none else around to help. She said she had taken the soma before so she should know what to expect and how she is going to react to them. Again, only my opinion.  
(((Hugs)))

I am not a regular poster here, but I had to respond to you. Two weeks ago, I went to my first NA meeting and it has helped so much. I have been reading these boards for 2 years, but it took actual human contact with other addicts to get my head in the right place.

It's so easy to isolate yourself and think that you don't have a choice.

You can choose to get your life back. You're worth it. It doesn't happen overnight, but having hope does wonders.

You can bring your baby to the meetings if you need to. If you can't get to a meeting, the NA website has a lot of good info.

You'll be okay. Take it easy on yourself and take some breaths.
I just want to thank everyone so much for all of your responses, especially you doinitright!!! I am so grateful I stumbled upon this site, I just really needed someone to talk to about this, and I am glad I did!
Big Hug!
doingitright, I'm glad the original poster responded to your thoughtfull post. You wrote that whole taper for her using exactly how many pills she had left and that's dedication. I hope she follows it and ends the cycle. It shouldn't be hard if it's done like you say as it wasn't too long on just hydrocodone. all best
Just a little update, it is day 3 of not taking any norco's, a little uncomfy, but nothing i cant get through! Thank you for all of your support!!! x o x o
Way to go on day 3!!!!!  That is great!!!  Hang in there girl........sara
Hyland's