1926359 tn?1331591739
opiate switch
hi I've been battling with opiates for years since being diagnosed with chronic pain associated with chronic illness.  For a long time I felt they helped me to live a better quality of life.  Then last year after a serious surgery my doctor switched me from hydromorphone to fentanyl patches.  They made me sleepy and kept falling off.  Plus I was having issues with constipation and as I have bowel issues from Crohn's disease-this seemed  counter-intuitive.  I did some research and found Targin- which is oxycontin and nalexone.  The nalexone prevents the opiate from working on the digestive system (no more constipation)  and makes it impossible to abuse.  I don't nor have I ever taken more than is prescribed or crushed or snorted so this was not what made me want it-though I think it would be an excellent alternative for docs prescribing to first time opiate users as abuse is such a problem with oxy.  My issue is this-I feel awful on the oxy.  I took it once two years ago when my doc thought it would be better than morphine and I felt so awful I went off it cold turkey and suffered through 8 days of detox at home. (This was regular oxycontin without nalexone) I couldn't live my life in pain however I felt better mentally-so after 6 months and another surgery I went back on hydromorphone-30 mg 3x day + 8 mg every 4-6 hrs breakthrough.  I go through periods of not taking any breakthrough and periods of taking it 6-8 times a day.  My current dose is 20mg/oxycontin 5 x day- 4 mg dialaudid every 4-6 hrs.  I feel like hell.  I have had a headache for a month.  I feel jittery and nauseated and I've lost about 10 lbs (can't afford to lose any more) am considering going off all opiates because i feel so terrible.  Has anyone experienced this when switching types of opiates?  Also-I felt good for about a month before these symptoms started.  I don't know if I am in constant withdrawal, or if I just don't react well to oxy.  My doctors reaction is to put me on a higher dose of opiates which I DO NOT WANT> my goal is always to take as few drugs as possible and have the best quality of life. I struggle with believing whether opiates help or hinder (I mean no matter why you are taking them they are going to alter you in some way) I appreciate any advice.  Thank you so much(:
Cancel
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community Resources
Top Addiction Answerers
4522800 tn?1470329434