Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
options for group, meetings other than NA,AA

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any resources other than the few i listed. I was looking into smatrecovery meetings, but there aren't any close to where I live. I was thinking there must be some form of groups and meetings for people who aren't interested in the 12 steps approach. I do plan on going to some NA meetings, just wondering what else is out there....I should google it, maybe there are meetups that are comprised of recovering addicts?
You might possibly ask a local rehab for a referral to a possible group therapy session. Give NA and AA a good chance. Each meeting is a little different and you'll find one that you like if you look hard enough.
There are many other options aa/na is not always a right choice for everyone. If it does not fit for you thats ok. Maybe an addiction therapist that is very knowledgeable in drug addiction .Look in your area for rehabs. Many have outpatient care programs .
Smart recovery SMART offers free face-to-face  mutual help groups. SMART (Self-Management And Recovery Training) helps people recover from all types of addictive behaviors, including: alcoholism, drug abuse, substance abuse, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities.So just find the right fit for you .Many talk to the church pastor as well.
you said you were going today. did you go. I am the biggest baby and I went because I was told all would be much better then I was feeling. They are right if you don't like it just leave whats is the worse thing that could happen. hmmm you stay (i double dare you)

i would like another cup of kool aid

hook line and sinker SOLD to
joe aka slapper
hey there...i usually say if you dont want to be there and its probably where you should be..

ill tell you..i did everything to not goto a meeting, i went on my own will for too long and ended back in the same place with no clue how i got there...i figured i had tried everything and i had two choices to give up to this disease or somehow find one more way...

i went to a meeting, the last thing id ever do...going and the steps freed my life..

_Ron
listen to the man (Ron) he knows what he is talking about (trust me I know)

Once again thanks Ron

Sid just go and get it over with I did and I feel a lot better not just 5 days better but 20 years better because that's how long it took me to go.

slapper

To help explain the best I can in a message to Gizzy:
Its like going to school for the first time day1 you go and become the most popular kid at school and everyone wants to be around you.
there r also private religious programs at some churches..a friend is doing that now...also private counseling...great/if u can afford it or if it is part of ur insurance plan

AA and NA are everywhere tho....visit the sites...aa is more popular than aa as far as varity of meeting times and places etc...aa and na r really based on the same premise...many are cross-addicted..as a rule an alcoholic can not take pills successfully and vice versa

being a lortab abuser//aa was my fit...more in common with the group...it may take 10 meetings to find ur fit....but i learned sumpin at each meeting...NA down here in the deep south is a bit more hard core than aa..it is where u fit..where u feel comfy so u continue ur recovery plan
again if u have the money or insurance to cover or can afford///i can give u access to an addiction specialist in ur area....meetings like na and aa r free....but often one on one counseling is better for many//any type of aftercare is better than none if u r setting urself up to win
glad to see this thread...for some reason in my 2+ yrs on this forum, Ive never heard of the SMART program!? Im interested in finding out more info on this. Ive been looking into NA meetings near me and having great difficulty. Either there are no meetings anywhere remotely near me, or the few that I did find, are at the worst possible time and cannot go then (i wouldnt be home when my son was getting home from school mainly being the conflict!)