organ damage
Can taking opiates really damage your intestines?  I keep reading about all the problems you can have with takin' them for a long period of time.  Help!!!!!
It sounds like you a worrying about something in particular.  Of course there is constipation! A real problem.

Are you worrying about the long term effect on yourself, or someone you know? Do you worry in general about the effect of using opiates on your life? Anyhow, wish i could be more helpful. Also, which opiates are you thinking about?

Why don't you add to your post and see if you get some more helpful replies.
I was worrying about the long term effect on myself.  I read an article earlier about how your intestines will just stop working over time w/narcotics.  I had back surgery, and have been on Norco for over a year now, I still have a lot of pain, I only have a few left and I am trying to wean myself, because I don't want to have to depend on narcotics the rest of my life. I feel awful.  Like everyone else describes. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which just adds to my pain.  I can totally relate to everyone else with the physical and mental pain.
You have been on pills for over a year. Have you been taking them as prescribed? Do you take them for the pain or for the high? These are important distinctions. Do you have a plan with your doctor about pain management? I am not sure that you are clear why you need to stop?And if you do, what the best method of stopping is. I don't believe personally that depending on narcotics to relieve pain if you are being managed by a physician in itself is such a bad thing. Especially if they are working. Does your doctor want you do cut down? Does your doctor  want you to use another medication for your pain?

Don't get ahead of yourself and project into the future. Think about how you are doing right now and how that can be made better. Take a deep breath. Ask some questions. Also see if you can get a really good consultation from a pain management physician. Is your fibromyalgia being treated?

Keep posting.  Try not to over identify with all the people on this site. They come with many many many different problems, circumstances, drugs, and health. Take your time. There is no need to rush these decision.

Just another thought. Why don't you repost your question but not titling it" organ damage". Use something like: "SHould I quit Norcos?"

I think you will get more responses and they might be very helpful. Explain your situation like you did with me in your second post and see what people say. I am sure there are people out there in your same situation..
My drug of chioce can cause intestnal bleeding . Luckly it did not happen to me .