oxy / hydro withdrawal after two months
Hello Everyone:
My father is nearing 78 and had knee replacement suregery three months ago. Prior to the surgery, he was taking hydrocodone for about a year...four or five a week at start and as many as four or five a day right before his surgery to relieve knee pain. Post operative, they placed him on 20mg oxycontin twice daily (w/ Darvon for breakthrough pain).

Sixteen days post operative he began to feel sick...
nausea, trembling, depression, palpitations of heart, sleeplessness. He was miserable but still took his meds as directed. On learning of his sickness, his General told him to discontinue oxy (cold) and use the Darvon for pain. He remained sick and, because his knee was still in pain, his general kept switching pain meds to try and find one that would ease knee pain but wouldn't make him sick. Finally, seven weeks after surgery, my dad decided to stop taking everything and see if his sickness would get better.

Six weeks after that, my dad is constantly ill...nausea, trembling, heart racing, and sleeplessness. He hasn't had a pain med in six weeks! Everyone he sees tells him (obviously) that it couldn't be withdrawal cause everything's been out of his system so long. But why is he sick with symptoms that so closely resemble withdrawal?

At this point, we're thinking all the drugs combined with his age, etc, have blown some sort of fuse in his neurological system. Is this possible?

Has anyone heard of a situation like this before? We're looking for some clues to get him out of his misery...he's at his wit's end.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

13th June off everything because he was

get off all the drugs.
Six weeks of the same symptons
This isn't a political site, but every once in a while politics squeezes itself in, as in this statement, attributed to people who "vote republican" - "it's up to the government to make the decisions and look out for me."

Sorry Charlie. That is a leftist sentiment pure and simple. It is characteristic of the same folks in the US House and Senate who clamor for tax cuts for people who aren't paying any tax in the first place. It's pure hypocrisy. And I'm afraid, Jimenez, if you think this is the sentiment of a conservative then you don't really understand the issues, nor the difference between liberal and conservative thinking.

It's a funny position to be in, because it's conservatives who are my worst enemy - insofar as pain medication is concerned.

Having disagreed with your political musings, however, I must say that I DO appreciate your comments on methadone. I've been on oxy for going on three years for chronic pain resulting from some very serious osteo- type injuries/pain and was thinking about switching to methadone. Your post makes me come to a halt in that thinking until I discover more about it.

The vast majority of posts here dealing with methadone make fairly glowing statements about it. Yours is very different. Can you say anything more about your experiences and about methadone in general?

Many Thanks,
Francois
Sorry about the trivial/uncalled for digression on my part into the realm of politics. I did put a smily face in there to kind of show I had some of my tongue in my cheek. So, enough of that.

Onto Methadone.

Did I take it for a long enough time to have a valid opinion? Yes.

Did it work well as a pain reliever for me? Yes. Very Well.

Did it have side effects - including being VERY drowsy and kinda "noddy"? Yes. In my case, moreso than other patients on the same dose...everyone's different (the prime reason I was taken off of it was the drowsiness.)

Do I think people are placed on WAY too high of a dose of Methadone for Pain management AND addiction maintanence? YES! Very much so. When I read of a 20 Vicodin a day user getting placed on 70 Mgs. of Methadone, I am appalled. Way too much. And at that rate, they will NEVER get off that drug at a mg. a month or so decrease.

Do I think that the last 10 mgs. or so of Methadone is almost impossible to get off? In my opinion - Yes. Like I said, I switched from Methadone to Oxycontin and STILL encountered a type of withdrawal. It was a deeeeeper withdrawal than I had ever experienced.(I don't know HOW bad it would have been cold turkey - but it would have been the worst I have encountered - that much I could tell) It was strange to say the least. When I first was placed on Methadone, I was taking Lortab 10 and/or Norco in very high doses 15-30 a day, minimum. MS Contin made me dopey like the Methadone did. I fell asleep (nodded out) at work - NOT cool. So, I got put on Methadone (which later proved to knock me out unexpectedly during the day...not cool either.) 10 mgs.3x a day of the Methadone. Well even though I was having up to 300 mg. days of Hydrocodone - I got WAY high on my initial dose of Methadone.(of course, I took a higher dose than prescribed, thinking 10mgs. was laughable...I thought it was laughable because of the doses I read people taking on this forum. Still, it was only 30 mgs. that made me VERY high) I came to this forum and posted about it. "Spook" I believe went on to tell me that Methadone reached other opiate receptors that the Hydrocodone hadn't reached - thus making me high. The "high" quickly went away and couldn't really be reached again even if/when I wanted to. Very elusive after first titration - like the MS Contin - hence it's great use for pain with less "chance of addiction". Now, here is where I have a problem with that - it IS MUCH less addicting (the MSContin and the Methadone that is) than say - Norco or Oxycontin. The high, if you want one, is just not the same or available as readily. BUT and it's a big BUT - this does not mean that your body isn't JUST as dependent on the drug (MS/Meth) than say - Oxycontin. The desire to use it to get "high" is just less. So, like I said - Spook tells me that "new" opiate receptors have been awoken with my newfound drug - Methadone. In my book - I didn't need ANY more opiate receptors that needed to be fed like small birds everyday. I had plenty letting me know when they were hungry. This is where I think the HARDER Methadone withdrawal "syndrome" comes in...I truly believe that it DOES reach deeper than the other narcotics and gets "down into your bones". So much so that when I switched to Oxycontin - I HAD WITHDRAWALS! This says to me - that even Oxycontin couldn't reach as "deep" as Methadone could. Not very cool in my book...But to each his own. Now, with the Oxycontin, I don't get anywhere near as drowsy. I've given my wife my supply so it's under control as far as abuse goes. Because of my bowel surgeries I have what is termed "rapid transit time" so I think that that contributes to me wanting to get an early dose all the time because it does seem to wear off after about 8 hours for me...

In the end Francois, I think Methadone is an awesome pain reliever that does it's job very well...but almost TOO well for my tastes. It wraps it's claws around you without you even knowing. When I've abused my meds before, I've known from the high or the lack thereof (because of tolerance) where I was in my dilemna...sort of "where I stood with it." You know what I mean? With Methadone I never felt that way. Had someone told me I needed MMT to get off pain meds and dosed me first day with liquid Methadone - 75 mgs. or so - I would have been laid out high on the floor. No joke. Even with my big time use of Hydrocodone. Weird. Why are people getting into such high doses of Methadone?

Do I think that the "government" wants people/money for the longest the can? Yes. But that's my conspiracy theory mind at work again.

This is probably WAY more than you wanted/needed to know...but hey, I'm out of my box today and thought I'd give you the whole story. My opinion of Methadone is based mostly on my experience with it - that experience is then augmented a bit by what I've read, seen and heard about it - true and false. I've read how hard it was to get off - and then felt it firsthand. I also remember someone saying here that the reason Methadone has such a long half-life is because it's very hard for your liver to metabolize. This makes sense because Methadone is NOT a true "Contin" It can be broken up etc. without effecting it's half-life. Now, the reason I wanted off drugs like Norco etc. and the reason my doctor wanted me off them - was to protect my liver AND afford me pain relief. Now, if Methadone is still hard on my liver - what's the point? A lot of little things like that have effected my opinion of Methadone also...So, take it for what it's worth.

Take care.
Hey Everyone,

This day has been hell.  I have not had percocet in one and a half days.  My last dose of percocet was yesterday morning at 8:00am.  Yesterday wasn't too bad but I woke up at 4:30 in the morning in a cold sweat.  My bones where aching.  It felt like I had to itch but scratching was not relief.  It seemed like my bones where itching, now that I think about.  I took a Darvocet when I woke up which helped out a great deal.  I also took a vistaril for the sickness.  I fell back to sleep around 8:00am and woke up around 12:30pm.  I took another vistaril and this chewable naseua medication I bought OTC at the pharmacy.  I did get some relief from the chewable medication so I would recomend it to anyone in my situation.  It's called Nauzene Chewables.  Overall I have been feeling really crappy but I just took a bath so now I am relatively comfortable.  I just don't wan't to feel the way I felt this morning.  The clonodine, which usually helps, didn't help as much as I though it would.  I keep thinking, "if I just take a percocet I can end my suffering."  Fortunately for me I don't have any and I don't feel well enough to go out and visist a doctor to get the pills.  A couple weeks ago I felt like I was on top of the world,  I had 60 percocet 10mg tablets and 30 percocet 7.5mg tablets.  I didn't think I would ever run out.  When I did run out I got 30 percocet 5mg tablets and 36 percocets 7.5mg tablets.  Again I ran out.  Now here I am...going through withdrawl.  I am very mad at myself.  I am also ashamed of myself.  5 years ago when I was a senior in high school I had my life planned out.  I was going to the 7th best college on the east coast and felt great.  It's funny because then I never planned to budget time in my life for addiction.  If you would of told me then that I would be an addict now I would of laughed at you.  I never even drank...actually, I hated drinking.  When I dated I wouldn't date girls who drank.  To me I thought it was unattractive.  I have lightened up on that opinion.  My last girlfriend drank alot...she wasn't an alcoholic just a weekend drinker...typical college senior.  I never thought that addiction would grab me.  I though to myself last night, "I could either be a really great success story or I could be a statistic in the morgue."  I know if I don't stop it will kill me.  I figure I have about another day and a half of feeling really crappy and then I should start feeling better.  Does anyone know if I will go through withdrawl again after I stop the darvocet (I only plan to take it for the remainder of my detox).  I know there are tons of people out there who know what I am going through.  I feel crappy right now but this is actually the easy part.  Staying off the drug is the hard part.  I keep thinking to myself, "what if I get hurt or break a bone and need pain medicine in the future?"  I know I can't take the pain medicine responsibly.  Oh well, one step at a time.  I placed a call to get into an outpatient program.  I went to this place before but I had a problem.  It seemed like some people were not interesting in getting better.  They were just interested networking and finding drugs.  I know because I was approached several times.  Everything from percocet to steroids people asked me about.  I use to take steroids when I was playing sports and working out last year so people knew i was knowledgeable on the topic.  Well I do hope to get back in the program and ignore the people who are not taking it seriously.  I also hope I start to feel better.  I want to kick this thing!!  I can't wait to be free from drugs!

Tyler
hey there good people:
i'm back somewhat-
yes - i hope to post more
no - i didn't resolve (completely) what's been bothering me.

damm - i know a good thing for me when i stumble into it & regular
posting just may be that!

enough about me for now.
wildcat: i've been thinking about your posting last sunday. i'm the kind of person who usually doesn't lack for oppinion. i also tendtoward letting anyone and everyone know how i feel. enough said.in my oppinion demerol (meperidine hcl.) is some pretty bad news stuff. my own expierence led me to this oppinion. Injecting this stuff IV seemed to always lead to  a needle abcess (i always was real carefull to use clean works, plenty of alchohol, etc.). i also noticed after several weeks of using demerol my hands would develope tremors and shaking. when i used heroin,dilaudid, oxymorphone, morphine sulfate, etc. my hands were rock steady. large doses of demerol would tounge tie me (this is not an uncommon side effect). smaller doses of demerol also made me stutter.all in all my expierence with demerol solved the mystery of why so many of the older junkies called it "dummy oil!" please be on the watch for any of these side effects even when taking it as perscribed!

Wizard, Milo, JB, jennyfla,witchywoman, Thomas, cindi, & anyone
else i've overlooked, i may not be the smatest junky ever, but
actively posting on this forum made me feel like i was somewhere
i really belonged. i guess your stuck with me for a while longer!!

i need all of you
kip
Hey there and Shazam  LOL   I'm glad you didn't stay away for too long as well as myself,,between the mail from you and Wizard I realized that someone does care and yes even my husband cares even more than I ever gave him credit for..took gramma to her lung specialist today  and he was the last doc to take care of my mom when she died..never cared for him..total ego but whatever!!  i am used to the egos  many docs have tried the egos on me and got nowhere because that **** about being a physician, social status, ferarris (spelling), mega bucks etc. just never impressd me at all..anyway back to the point...  he recognized me from my mom and started in on how I should be proud of her how she struggled  yada yada yada,,and a big fat YODA..anyway gram should be ok  just trying to convince her of that is gonna kill me  LOL  I am doing alot of soul searching,,,lookin dee within me....please, kip would ya tell Irishrose that I am looking forward to talking more with hr,,,and I'm glad we  (you and I) are both back  come to think of it   Skipper could never ever get rid of Gilligan coudl he..and sarg carter could never get rid of Pyle eithr  Goooooooooollly     imamgine that...and wiz,,,looks like you are takin old dorothy right to kansas with you  but yiu have to do it on your scoot,,,never much one for hot air balloons   have known too many of them in my life     love to all  cin
Hi...I did notice you hadn't posted in a while and missed you! I am sorry to hear that things exploded on the marriage front. I sure know how that feels..my marriage gets pretty rocky from time to time too, we're currently in one of those rocky phases as well.
Marriage counseling helped us a lot, here's hoping that it helps you two as well.

love,
WW
Wow, Tyler, i'm impressed, looks like you're on the right track!!!
It's going to be difficult, but stay strong.  I'll be in your boat in about 1 week!  Prayers!
Lv Jenny
I wondered where you've been! LOL I need my Wizardly guidance
:-)

I hope you are doing well..your words and encouragement help me every single day.  Today I'm doing well. I've eaten normally, rather than scheduling when I eat around wanting an empty tummy at medication time.  The pain is still high, 8 or so, but I'm still hoping that in a few more months it flutters down to at most 6, so I can keep that taper going in the DOWNWARD direction.

love,
WW
I would hardly call it 'stuck', you silly guy; we all need you as much as you need us, remember that!!!! :)
As sick as i am right now, and going through a tough time, you are all in my heart, and i have plenty of prayers left over after all the prays i've been saying for myself!!! :)
Stay strong, and you will resolve your problem, it's only a minor setback, i'm confident that you will get through it.  You're one tough guy, and it's gonna take a lot more than this addiction to take you down!!!!
Stay here with us, and through our group's strength and energy, may we all find the strength that we need to beat this horrible demon of addiction!!!
Glad to see you back, stay safe!!!! :)
Lv Jenny
Man, I've been indisposed w/ some little "rugrat" relatives(2 toddlers) for a few days.....and thought...i've gotta get to the forum...or I'll be lost again.  LOL  Seems it's been sorta quiet over here.  Didn't miss much.......and didn't get missed much either....lmao JJ
Well, wiz/cin....We had one of our big blowouts again.  Just when ya think things are better......  Almost made a B-line for the attorney's ofc. this afternoon.  Got a committment to see a marriage counselor.....so any steps in the legal direction will be on hold till "action speaks louder than words!"  
Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you w/ that email yet.... as you can see, its been real hell here........I'll be needing some of those rainbows again......LOL
Hope your doing ok...cin???
Love,
Angelica
Hi all, sorry I haven't been around but my server is down and I haven't been able to get on the forum or to my e-mail.I just have a few minutes on this line and wanted to check in. Angelica, I'm so sorry to hear about the home scene for you. As soon as I can get t my mail I'll send you some "Rainbows" dear. Cin, I don't know what's up with you at the moment as I can't connect but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there girl.
Jenny, you too darling, If you cold turkey it just know that you CAN do it and with your husband there it will be easier than trying now on your own. I'm here for you too. (sooner or later  anyway)LOl
Kerrie, I don't know if you got my mail it seemed to go down right after I tried to send but I just wanted to say thank you for all your prayers and support.
W.W. Same goes for you lady. I miss all of you and I'llcatch up as soon as I get my link back.
Everyone, you are in my thoughts, Heart, Mind and prayers, so till later,
Power & Magick 2 U ALL,
Peace & Light & Rainbows on us,
Wiz
Hi Dj,
It sounds like you are having withdrawals from the vicodin. I am no expert, but I think that the worst is over in 3 or 4 days, so you should start feeling better pretty soon.

Look on the other threads in the forum for Thomas's suggested supplements for detox.  He recommends taking l-tyrosine and b6, and suggests taking hot baths to help with the muscle aches. Supplementing with zinc, magnesium, and manganese also helps.

Good luck to you, and I'm really happy to hear that the surgery seems to have helped your pain. May you stay pain free and addiction free!

WW
Hang in there Tyler..I"m very impressed that you are doing this, and want to give you all the support I can.  I wish I knew the answers to all your questions.  I think that if you are careful to taper the darvocet, you may be able to avoid withdrawals from it, but I am not sure.

Have you read Thoma's post on how to detox? He reposted it on one the threads above this one..it's really good, though I haven't gone through it yet, lots of people here swear by it.

Keep us posted on how you are doing, and I'll be rooting for you and keeping you in my prayers.

WW
.......To the rescue as usual.  Thank you also!......Hope your doing ok, and maybe when I get back from my little trip next week(leaving friday for one week)....We'll pick up where we left off RE:  the bios....lol
Hope all is well on your end......Take Care!
Love,
Angelica...(:
Kip,

Thank you very much for your kind words.  I really treasured your post.  I will NEVER forget what I have been through and never forget everyone in this forum.  Everyone in this forum has helped me through this difficult time.  I thank God that I found this forum because you guys helped give me the motivation to quit.  I had the motivation myself, but it's so much better when other people care and support you.  I figured I would stop doing drugs one way or the the other...I can stop on my own...or die.  I believe that what I have done took alot of stength and courage.  But I also know that getting off the drugs physically is easier than getting of them psychologically.  The real test will be what I do with the cravings in the future.  I look at addiction like someone on a diet.  At first you get really motivated to lose weight (or quit drugs).  So you will do whatever it takes to lose weight (or stop using).  But soon you will get craving to eat the bad food (or drugs).  If you are truly dedicated you will be determined not to give in to eating the junk food (or taking the drugs).  If you are not dedicated you will give in and binge on whatever junk food you can get your hands on (or drugs).  I want to remain sober.  I know this is going to be tough.  But I also know you and others will be there for me when I need you most.  My mom told me, "these people in your support group will be like a second family to you."  How true it is.  I would also like to give you and others some advice that has helped me.  "A man who truly wants something will find a way.  A man who doesn't will find an excuse."   I hope this helps.  I can't wait to hear other people post a similar message like I posted today.  I am pulling for each and every one of you guys.  The time needs to be right for you to quit.  If you don't quit now, you are not a bad person, you just need to find the right time when you truly know in your heart you want to stop using.  Thanks again and good luck to you.

Tyler
Okay, since it sounds like there's a lot of water under the bridge between you and your guy - I'll try to just answer the one question that I think you're asking:

Is it possible to just "dabble" once in awhile with Methadone?

First of all - Methadone IS addicting. It IS a narcotic and you will have withdrawal symptoms if you stop it cold turkey. So don't let him confuse you on that topic. Methadone is and always has been addicting.

Now, with that being said, in MY experience after the initial "high" that I got from STUPIDLY taking more than was prescribed the first day I got Methadone - the "high" wasn't easily achieved after that. It's kind of like how Thomas described his Ultram experience. For a SHORT while, it feels great...and then nothing really. Now, if your old man is TRULY only taking Methadone say - every other week, it would be possible for him to take it, get high (if that's what he was after) OR possibly satisfy his cravings for OTHER drugs - Oxycodone etc. I guess in some rare cases, someone COULD use Methadone sparingly...But, I would say that most people who "use it sparingly", end up getting back on their drug of choice. It's like getting drunk on Gin. You've always preferred Whiskey, but you're trying to quit drinking so you only drink Gin once in awhile. The fact that you're still putting alcohol in your system aside, you will, in a moment of weakness or drunkeness, reach out for your old standby - Whiskey.

...But I'm not sure what's going on with you two. Maybe he REALLY is only taking the Methadone "once in awhile"...Possibly when he's run out of the other drugs? Drug addicts think that way - "Well, I'm not really lying to her - I really only take the Methadone now and then..." Conveniently leaving out that the "now and then" is when the other drugs have run out and he needs something to get him through...Now, I'm not saying that's what is happening...I don't know ANYTHING about your circumstances. But I do know about addiction. You said that he was placed on 70 mgs. of Methadone back in March. That's only 5 months ago. Going from 70 mgs. down to 5 mgs. would be very impressive indeed if that is truly what he has accomplished.(And it would have been a bumpy ride for him - one that you probably would have noticed.) There are others here that can tell you about stepping down with Methadone better than I can. But for someone with a very BAD habit (which I think you have implied that he has/had) this would seem a little far fetched to me. Now, if the guy has really changed...and he's a NEW MAN - physically, emotionally etc. - then maybe he's telling the truth. But if he hasn't had some really hard times the last couple of months (Since March) I would say he's still using. Coming down that quickly from Methadone - or anything that you've been on for years - will take it's toll on you. I would have expected to see him really "toughing it out" if he has really kicked. Were you living with him these last few months? If you were maybe you could tell me how he was acting. If he was only "maintaining" and then rapidly decreasing his Methadone intake (70 mgs. down to 5mgs), he would have been irritable some days...maybe restless at night time. But if he did all this with a smile on his face and a gleam right in his eye - I would say he never stopped using. I guess I shouldn't be saying anything not really knowing the details...I'm trying to help though. Maybe you could give me some more details that are in that "long story" of yours?

Bottom line: If he was a HARDCORE addict...one who was lying to you, one who was using anything he could get his hands on - ONLY 5 MONTHS AGO - Chances are he's still somewhat wrapped up in that scene. If he isn't, and is truly down to an occasional 5 mgs. of Methadone, I am in awe of him and would glady eat every word I've said in this post. He would be the strongest man I know.

Anyway, if this helped or didn't help - let me know. If you'd like, let me know how he's been acting...since March, before March and the Methadone, and how he's acting now. Not meaning to pry, but if I'm going to try and help, I need to know a little more :)

Maybe someone with more Methadone experience could pipe in too?

Take Care.
Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone who responeded to my post about withdrawl.  I spoke to my doctor and she said that it was too dangerous to do on my own and I should get profesionally detox.  So yesterday I found a detox center that use buprenorphine.  I was given this before and didn't like it at all.  But suprisingly it worked wonders.  It relxed me and relieved all my withdrawl symptoms.  I strongly recomend it to anyone detoxing.  I feel great today!  I went and got my bupenorphine this morning and I need to go back tonight.  They usually give a 4mg dose but I told them I think I only need a 2mg dose and it has been working just fine.  I am proud of myself for taking a smaller dose...it means I'm almost through detox!!!  What hell I went through when I was trying to do it myself with the darvocet.  My bones ached, I felt extremely sick, and it felt like I had flex all or icy hot running through my veins!  I'm glad thats behind me.  I think they are trying to give bupenorphine like methodone.  It god rid of my cravings.  Also it is alot safer than methadone.  Methadone, from what I've heard, is HELL to get off of.  Another thing about the Bupenorphine is that it is non-addictive.  It is called and opiate agonist-antagonist.  So when you are taking the bupenorphine and you take other opiates you will not feel the effects of the other opiates.  I can't say enough good things about this drug, which is ironic because a couple days ago I though it was a bad way to detox.  This place gave me several medications to take at home:

Doxepin:  antidepressant that they gave me to take to sleep.  Much better than trazadone!!!  It relaxes you and gets rid of your anxiety, fear, etc.  I would suggest anyone to take this, its a wonderful drug.  Ask your doctors about it.

Donnatal:  Antispasmodic used to treat stomch cramps.  I did not take this drug because I did not have cramps.  It has phenobarbital in it which will relax you.

Flexeril:  Muscle relaxer, I didn't even need it.

Also they gave me Motrin, Clonodine, and phenregan (this is really good for naseua.  It took mine away fast).

This has been the best treatment I have ever recieved.  I would recomend this program to anyone.  I finall got great night sleep, 11 hours to be exact!!  I feel great that I'm off the percocets.  I hope I will be feeling this good months from now.  Thanks alot jennyfla, witchwomen, and others for helping me get through this.  I will be here for anyone who wants to get off the drugs.  I will remain posting to let everyone know how I am doing.  If anyone needs any help, I will be there for you guys 100%.  

Thanks again,
Tyler
tyler:
my name is kip. I've been watching the post and have seen several of yours. my heart goes out to you as you remind me very much of a
good friend in my past.
Several things:
1) always remember this forum no matter how good or how bad things
maybe going for you. see- we need each other. i can't do alone,
what i've done with the forum and all of it's posters. carry us in
your heart (not your head), and know that someone else will have you in theirs.
2) a while back, in one of your posts you asked a very impresive
question: what will i do now (that i'm an addict) if i ever need
a pain killer? In the 20 some years of shooting any opiate i could
get my hands on, I never once gave consideration to this question.
what will kip do if he ever actully needs GOM (Gods Own Medicine)
for real pain? I had the beter part of 20 years of recovery when
an injury from something really pointless and stupid i did back in
1970 came back in the form of 2 herniated cervical disks, to put me back on the "hell bound train!" i wish there was an answer that
could be packaged up as clen and neat as those oxycodone tablets
you got at the drug-store! i have pondered this many nights as i
stood up to the wall with my neck and back as flush to it as i could get them. you see tyler, i'm in constant pain. i'm also an oil burner of a junky that has done everything to get drugs. i guess you know as well as the rest of us-- there aint no santa clause on the midnight train. but still it isn't so bad- i've got a beautiful wife, this forum, and whole lot of things i never used to have the sense to appreciate!
3) my first sponcer in a 12 step program told me three things to
never forget:(1) i'm going to love and car about you, and there's
not a damm thing you can do about it,(2)) not every one afflicted
with the illnes of substance abuse will live thru it, (3) even if
it hasn"t killed you, you may never find recovery. concentrate on the first for now, but don't ever foget the other 2.

Keep us informed, it's the strength that you share when your growing that gives all of us what we need most of all. also-
talk from your heart and your guts--save the head stuff for your
return to college.

need all of you
kip
Kip, what outstanding advice to Tyler. First off I want to say how happy I am that you are on the forum. Listening to the voice of the "BEEN THERES" has always been better recieved than the "outta the bookies". Tyler, you take this gold mine of experience to heart dude. You can't buy this type of knowledge. When the "Dragon" whispers to you "JUST THIS ONE MORE TIME,THAT'S ALL" you kick it right between its scaly legs and run like hell! This forum and the angels on it have saved my life and I'll be forever grateful. Kip, "know" I'm with you man, anytime you need.
Power & Magick 2 U,
Peace & Light on us all,
Wiz
......Thanks so much for the "I miss you post!"......You have know idea what an uplift that is.  Esp. when you feel so unable to control your personal conflicts, and just feel unworthy of change in any direction.
I am also glad to hear that marriage counseling has worked for you and your husband.  This is actually a last resort.  We do have love for one another...I just think we need someone w/ an unbiased opinion to point us in the right direction, because, obviously we cant do it on our own.  I really hope your feeling OK these days, and have come to terms w/ some sort of a decision where your pain/addiction is concerned.  No matter how tied up I am on this end, please don't hesitate to lean on me for advice, support, or whatever.  Take Care, W.W.
Love,
Angelica
Well, I *did* miss you, and I'm glad my post gave you an uplift...I hope that I can return something to you, and the others here who have already given me so much.

Marriage counseling can be way uncomfortable, but if both are willing to take responsibility for their part of the problem and if the therapist is good , it can work.  Me and my hub went for almost two years, every monday morning at 8am..no time to build up our defenses for the day LOL.

I'm doing ok..but have no illusions that I'm "in recovery" yet. I know that I need the meds for pain, at least for now, so I am working on not taking more than I am supposed to, which is very hard. Yesterday I did great, and today so far I'm also doing great.

love,
WW
Could you tell me alittle more about Methadone.  My ex told me he only takes Methadone now and then, when he needs it.  He had a full blown addiction to oxy's and perc's. He was put on 70mg of methadone aday back the first week of March. In May he told me he was down to 5mg's aday.  He's always lied to me. Long story. Is he for real about only now and then? Or is he lying again?  I know nothing about methadone, he told me it is non addicting.   I did find out that his dr. can no longer perscribe methadone or oxycontin to him, (insurance I think) So I'm wondering is he clean, lying, or getting it elsewhere? Or someother drug?. Thanks for any reply, I just need to be careful since this is why he's gone.  Thank You   Susan
Is it my imagination going wild again or did I just hallucinate another of them Caring, helping, wonderful lady to the rescue posts from that Cindy, who thinks she has nothing to offer?
Nahhhhhhhhhhh, couldn't be............
Hey Dorothy ;-* MUAHHHHHHHHH!
Power & Magick 2 U,
Peace & Light on YOU 2,
luv Cheeze Wiz
I have not been posting much but I have been reading when I get a chance....What can I say to you after wizard and Skip..you have found the right place to come to...the key to all of this is the willingness...and most part here have the willingness...we have the willingness, we have the desire and most importantly we have each other......there is nothing better than one addict helping another  please remember to always be honest. especially with yourself..keep an open mind..you not always like what we have to tell you and get angry at us but EVERYTHING that is said to you is said because we care..i came here 7 months ago ( i can't beieve it has been that long)since my mom passed away on Christmas morning..my world fellapart and these people here have been there for me everystep of the way and Heaven has a special spot for each of them as my heart also does,,,my manners are terrible..please, forgive me for not welcoming yo the proper ladylike way  LOL    welcome to our little piece of serenity    love to all   cindi
Good God!  How naive can I be.  I haven't been around the forum much lately...too much going on.  I was wrong.  My ex is no longer on Methadone.....what I found out yesterday from his dr. (who is mine) is that he can nolonger perscribe it to him. The Law.. So he now give's him 60 40mg's of Oxycontin every two weeks.  Boy am I stupid!  This Dr. is crazy, he knows he's an addict and he's giving all this to him!  His nurse told me it's all for the money, he does this with most of his patients.  I can't figure why this dr. who's a family dr. is not getting into trouble especially since this law passed last week.  My ex doesn't have cancer, chronic pain, nothing that would warrent even a percocet.....Show's you what the world's coming too.  I've been down about this for a few days, knowing he lied to me again....over and over he lies and lies.......things never change....Thank You Tylerburben for the infor.....I think I will go to a meeting tonight....Love you guys, and I will be in touch with all of you that I have your e-mails.....Love you all, Susan
LOLOLOL   I love you my magical mystical surfer dude.......
Hello my forum family. I was reading the thread and just wanted to say hello. My pain has been better the last few days. Hope it stays that way. I wanted to encourage the newcomers to continue to come here. I came looking for help for my 23 year old daughter and received much needed help for myself. The people here really do care and never judge you for any mistakes. They only want to help you as they help others. Please come back and talk. I am a chronic pain sufferer (is that right?) and they have helped me through some rough times. My daughter is still fighting the demon. She's really trying but she won't seek help and is not doing well.  I have begged her to come here and talk but she is angry that I come here and even mention her. I will keep you all in my prayers.
    Wizard, I got your e-mail but nothing was there,just who it was from. Try and write again. It was great to almost hear from you.
    Cindi, thanks for all the prayers and I loved the woman day thing. I hope your feeling better. Write when you can.I want to hear how your doing .
    Jennyfla and Angelica,hold on girls. I know your both troubled right now for different reasons but Gods there and we're here. Stay strong.Brighter days are just ahead. I think I read somewhere you were being sent rainbows. Just remember the rainbow always follow the storms. God bless you both.
     God Bless,
        Kerrie
I'm so glad your pain is better, bless your heart!!!
Maybe someday soon, your daughter will begin to open up her heart and seek the help she so strongly needs.
Keep encouraging her to come to the board.  I hope to have my husband join in when he returns, i think it will do him so much good to know he isn't alone.
It will be hard for your daughter because it's a step facing the fact that she is an addict, a difficult step, but it will come in time...  Keep being the wonderful, supportive mom that you are, and know that her life lyes in her own hands, you suffer so terribly for her.
I hope to god that my children never go through the pain of addiction.  It must be heartwrenching to see your own child go through this, i can only imagine!!!
I feel for you, and i pray for your daughter's heart to be able to open up and receive the help she so deeply needs!
You are both in my prayers!
Lv Jenny
BTW, i'm glad to see i'm not the only nightowl around here, i feel not so alone tonight!
Lv Jenny
From your post, it sounds like you are doing fantastic.
What a wonderful gift you will be someday to all the people you will doctor in the future!!!
We need more 'doctors' in the world, ones that understand addiction!!!
There's no better way to learn something other than experiencing it firsthand!!
Did you know that doctors are only required to study (forget the hours or percentage that my husband told me), but it was pathetically low!!!
They are basically completely uneducated in addiction unless they take it upon themselves to learn more about it!
I hope all that you've been through will someday help others during your medical profession. I'm so impressed with the way you words things, and all the feelings you have that come straight from your heart!  Your a beautiful person, and i just know that you are going to help so many in your future!
You are a person that really has it together, i can see that so clearly!
Never mind the slip with addiction, it's amazing, after being honest with people lately, how many have suffered from addictions of all kinds!
You are far from alone, and the stereo-type addicts are changing rapidly, it can hit anyone, anywhere, from the bum in the gutter, to the president of the US (not true, but you know what i mean).  
As i've said on this forum a while back, addicts are truly special people.  We are ones who feel strongly about things which gets us in trouble sometimes.  We are sensitive people who just need alittle help getting through this difficult world, and fall in the wrong direction sometimes.  Addicts are the true 'real people' of the world.  It's the people who seem to slide through life with no addictive problems that really miss out on things.  Some simply don't know how to really feel and love, and they are the ones who really miss out on life, not the ones who have climbed out of the addiction world.
Hope this makes sense.  I'm extremely tired, and it didn't come out exactly like i've said it in the past, but i hope you get my point!
Anyway, we are all very proud of you, keep being strong, and continue being YOU, very special!
Lv Jenny
Lea, I'm so glad to see your post and that your seeing someone else. But I still detect an overwhelming concern for your ex. I know you have a lot of time together but try to erase him from your life hon. You see how sick he is. It is still a real threat as long as he has this power over you even if you think you have controll of your feelings. He sounds like my brother made over. My brother nearly desrtoyed his first wife. She put miles between them and divorced him but he still had a spell on her. You keep working on being happy. You deserve it. Your in my prayers.Did you move like you had planned ?
   Jennyfla, I wish I could do something to help your insecurity. You aren't a failure Hon. Would you try something please. For the next few days, everytime you think how bad a person you are,stop and WRITE DOWN something good about yourself. You are going through a lot right now and going cold turkey would be hard , I'm sure, on someone with an easy life. You have a full plate.Your husband sounds like an understanding man. He knows how hard it is for you. Keep trying but please quit thuinking so bad of yourself. I only wish my daughter had the same compassion for her  children that you do. You will make it Jen. You want it with all your heart and that's why you'll succeed. I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm proud of you for wanting to be a better person. But I think your pretty great now. Just ask your kids. Hey, that's the first thing I want you to put on your list,GREAT MOM,CARING WIFE,CHILD OF GOD,CARING FRIEND. The only time you need to put that head down hon is in prayer. God's here for you and so is everyone here. God Bless you.
     Kerrie
Kerrie,
Thank you sweetie for your encouragement.
I am a good mom, and no one will ever take that away from me, i know this in my heart.
I'm feeling weak today as my day of quitting comes closer.
My husband said NO TAPERING! I'm doing it cold turkey, i've been given enough time.
I'm just so very very scared!
I'm sure if things get real bad, a little 1/2 of a loracet will be allowed to ease the pain, i hope!
I have my kids' orientation next friday, smack in the middle of detox, and i have to meet their teachers.  I will do my best, and make sure that i make it through that, i have too!
What a mess!!!  I'm disappointed that i didn't do what i was supposed to while my hub was in treatment!  This addiction is one heck of a beast!!!

Susan,
Thank you for the phone call today, you're a sweetie for thinking of me, especially with all that's going on in your life.
I enjoyed talking with you, and please stay strong, and don't let your ex manipulate you!
Good luck!
Lv Jenny
LEA, LEA LEA !!!!  My dear One,  why would you be so upset to learn this new tidbit of info about your ex?  and please believe me, I m not belittleing you.."scolding" you or anything else.but hon,,,He has lied to you over and over and over again and I don't forsee a change in him anytime soon...do not be surprised by ANYTHING you have learned about him.....ANYTHING>>>even if you found out he has 20 wives all over the world and 40 children don't be surprised......please, give yourself a break,,,,Kerrie is right  I also, detect this overwhelming concern for him....Listen to me,,you my dear will never be happy in life or in any other relationship or even with your self until you severe everything with this man.. I have been this route...when you go to the dr...Why do you even ask about him?  and legally they should not be telling you anything about him....they are breaking confidentiality laws......If they volunteer any info about him politely tell them that you are not interested in anything he is doing this is his problem  it is not yours....Lea,,,Please do not be upset with me for saying this to you.......I have been where you are....so entirely into someone  and what was going on with him....consumed, obsessed, whatevr u want to call it......i almost lost my mind over it......actually, i almost lost everything over it.....please,,lea,,,,I care about you    severe everything with him  do not ask anybody anything....and no, you are not niave,,you are emeshed in this whole web of this man.....a very hard cycle to break,,,,,again please don't be upset by this post....you should know by now I only care..perhaps a bit too much at times but I do care.....God be with you    Love to all  cin
Oh guys! I could never be upset with any of you.  I love you all dearly.  I got obsessed again with him I know.  It was a bad day, and my exhusband called me to talk like he always does.  Then he proceeds to tell me my ex was at his house last night to have a long talk. They are on good terms with each other.  But my former husband tells me I need to go back with my ex, and stop dumping the men that love me.  My exhusband knows nothing about my ex's drug habit.  If he does I would be surprised. My exhusband is former DEA.  So that is why I got upset and the girls in the Drs office are so clueless when they tell me about him.  I think they want me to do something and that's why they tell me everything.  I think I will get a new Dr., I've lost all respect for him now.  My ex has called about giving me money but no show.  I told him I was ok, I don't want him connected to me.  He's left everything here to get at his convience. Somethings I will keep the others I will give away.  He has not said anything about getting his stuff, so it's been about 5 months. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. It's mostly junk anyway.  I see him more as he is.  I believed he was clean, I believed him that he would get better, his life better when he left. I believed for awhile it was me.  But now I know the only life that got better was mine.  I can't believe a grown man is living with his parents.  It's such a convience for him, someone told me he's just staying there until I beg him to come back home to me.  To except him, believe him, and not ask any questions.  I will not and have not.  He's got 4 kids, and he seems to be such a loser!  I don't believe it ALL has to do with the drugs.  He's always been on the Oxy's, I know that now.  He lies and lies.  I'm sure my exhusband told him I'm seeing someone else.  My exhusband wants me with my ex because it makes him feel like such a winner, and that I went down in life. Which I did. This new man is so different.  He will have maybe 3 or 4 beers in one week. He works top security clearence, so he's never done any drugs. Just normal and so nice, so far.  It makes me want to escape my past. I can't believe I gave my unconditional love to a man who took what he could from me and never gave back!  I know I am still vunerable but I do see that a 38 year old man, should not be in his situation, living at home, 4 kids, and the worst thing is he looks terrible.  His hair is sooo long, down to his waist now. He looks very unkept. I was so worried he would find someone else.  When he was on the Oxy's he had no interest in sex or anything, plus he couldn't if he wanted to, so I don't believe anythings changed there.  I will be ok, my life is definately getting better. I love all of you for being there for me, listening all these months to my tears and fears.  He can't fool me anymore, and I think he knows it. He knows I see him for what he is, and that he's diminished in my eyes. When I spoke to him the other day, he was so on guard with me, I kept it brief and said goodbye. I believe he's lost the best thing in his life, me.  He is going nowhere but downhill.........So it wasn't me, he told me he is surviving.  I will keep you posted, and Jenny I will try to call you tonight...Love you guys.....Susan
Stay strong Susan, and cindi is absoluately right with all she said... listen to her, she is an extremely smart person, and has one of the most loving hearts i've ever seen in a person...
Please try to detach from your ex completely.  No more asking about him or listening to anything about him, detach completely, it's the only way!!
Good luck sweetie, and again, i'm sorry i had to jump off the phone so quickly, i look forward to talking to you again soon.
Lv Jenny
(this thing suddenly posted for no reason. I tink it's trying to tell me to shut up !)
  As I was saying, not for the high but for how desperately I need relief from this pain at times. But it's a blessing I can't take very much without ill effects. I come from a long line of alcoholics and drug addicts. So I thank God for that. Your going to do it !!!!!
    God Bless, Kerrie
He called 4 times today, saw it on my caller ID. No message. The 5th time I answered. I swear I don't know what he wanted he preceded to give me a hard time, that the reason he hasn't seen or called my boys is he thought I would want him to stay away.  Excuses, excuses.  And I told him this, I am not afraid of him, he got really angry, defensive, because he just could not get a reaction from me. Somethings changed, he can't get me to fight back. But stupid me, had to put a dig in there. Told him that the girls at the Drs office said he was back on oxy's, just voluntered it. I know he will not say anything to them for fear of being cut off from the dr.  Anyway he blew up, and then HUNG UP!  I'm sure he waited for me to call back....but I just started laughing....he is losing his control over me.......So I took my kids out for dinner. How juvenile to hang up on someone who was not yelling or acusing.  People who lie, can't take being found out.....see ya guys, Love Susan
Hi Hon. I  was so taken by your dertermination to register your son yourself with being in the middle of your detox. You see. Thats why your going to make it because your a strong and caring person. It's not just addicts that have problems with depression hon. There are days I could stay in the bed and not speak to anyone. Everyone here knows what your going through with the detox. I don't know about it personally except for what I've learned here. But Angelica and I and other chronic pain sufferers, know how addiction happens. We know it doesn't mean your a failure or anything of the sort. It eans your human. I know if it wasn't for the fact I've always gotten throwing up sick by much pain med, that I too would of crossed that line and took more than I should. Not for
I just took a peek before I leave for work here....WOW, you chase storms? What an exciting job.......I think Cin(Dorothy) explained our humor above so I won't be redundant and explain it again.....If you have followed me at all, I like most here do not have a mean bone in my body, so, any joking is strictly amongst friends here. Poking fun at anyone is not my nature. Nice to see you back posting! I've gotta run so I'll catch up later!
Power & Magick 2 U,
Peace & Light on U 2,
Wiz

Skipper,

Sorry I have not written sooner, I have been so busy with other things and was sick all last week. I just now started scrolling the board today. Thanks for the advice about the Demeral. You were absolutely right. Two major seizures and a week of feeling like kah-kah were all I got out of it. I am back on the Codiene for the time being, only my doc upped the dose so I am not as tempted to abuse it. Good luck skip, you have the knowledge and experience. You could write a good book!

Wiz, hello, I missed your funny humor. Some of it is over my head or in between my times on the board. Which is the Cindy(Dorothy). I remember seeing that name when I first started back up on the board several months ago and she mentioned chasing tornadoes. Is that why cindi refers to her as Dorothy and Kansas and hot air? or is that supposed to be a joke on me because I chase typhoons? It's over my head! Be up front, I can take it!LOL!

cindi, what do you mean? If that is referring to me, be up front about it don't play mind-jive. Let's help everyone know their faults, weaknesses, strengths, good things or bad things they do or talk about. This is supposed to help everyone, not be a puzzle or guessing game. Either that or I really need to cut down on the Codiene so I can figure these things out!!!!LOL.

Anyway whatever ya-all mean, I hope ya-all are doing okay.

J.B.- I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. I already addressed that way up top. This thread is too far down, I almost didn't bother to scroll all this way but I wanted to see if I missed anything.

Have a good day everyone, and God bless.

wildcat
hey there yous:
what a day. work is strangling me.my neck pain---
It would seem i've really made up some mess with our friend from
Belgrade. I talked to the wife of the Serbian Orthodox Church
Priest. -now you have at least got to see the humor in me calling
out of the blind, sayin "hi I'm a recovering drug addict that needs
a Serbian translator to talk with a junky in Belgrade!"- she was
quite calm, polite, even curious. she didn't say no-she didn't say
yes. Well anyway my running off at the mouth, PA thinks i'm a doc
and he is psyco sematic junk ****!!! honest to god i couldn't think
myself into a bigger mess. the consequence of my running off at the
mouth might actually hurt this guy! **** **** ****-- what have i done and how and will be able to set matters square. honest guys
this one got me on my blind side (it's still my fault).

mr. shitheal
kip
Wildcat:
so glad your off the dummy-oil. most of the siezures i've ever had were when i was using large amounts of demoral! back in the early 1970 (statute of limittations let talk about this) i did a B&Eof a "Head Ache Clinic." would you believe all i got was dummy-oil, mergan (demoral+ phenergan)and caforgot. The caforgot is some ergotimine derivitive not to be messed with ever, even if
a MD trys to give it to you ( it messes with the blood pressure
in the head). Well i spent the better part of a humid Mpls
summer shooting crank and then trying to crash with dummy oil.
I wound up trading the rest of the demoral and mepergan for guess
what? Yup injectable codiene. cna't iv, but sub-q it really did
the trick. so much for the *good old days*. i don't know how or
why i lived thru them.
hope to hear more from you!
  kip
Hi,  I re-read your as it was really very early this morning when i read first tme.....I think I summed everything up in my reply to you re: mine and Wizards humor..however, I would like to make one thing clear that did in fact upset me just a bit I do not nor have  ever played any kind of "mind Jive" games...whatever I have to say to anyone comes out just the wau I mean it...i have this sort of quirk,,,i say what i feel,,and If you ask e ho I feek about smess,and I do not ever recall a conversation that I had with wizard involving you....anyway,,,,,that's about all   just keep in mind I judge no one as I expect not to be judged   LOVE TO ALL   CINDI
To be honest I forgot you are a storm chaser,,,the Dorothy thing started long before you came to the forum,,,,the WIZARD OF OZ is my my favrite movied and I often would refer to wiz as the wonderful wiz of a wiz he is,,becuz of the wonderful things he duz....and he started calling me dorothy...and we would joke about the flying monkeys and not being in kansas anymore..it was truly a joke between wiz and myself,  I a sorry if you took it any other way...please remember that the Wiz, and myself and other other people that come to this forum would ever poke fun at another person here....unless it is just that     good fun  like i call qiz the cheese qiz cuz he is the boss at work or the "big cheese"  or maybe cause he cuts the cheese to much  LOL    anyway    sorry if you took this the wrong way.....love to all   cin
hey you     gotta get to bed my eyes are crossed but you are great wonderful human,,,,gd put you here cuz e need you   look how you go out of your way to help..this poor fella freom serbia..you are going to the end of earth -to help him  you have earned your spot in heaven you you
I have been on Percoset for well over a year now. What started out as only taking a few here and there became an everyday habit for me. I really don't want to take them anymore. I'm now taking up to 4 a day and to some that's not a lot but for me its more then a lot. I am 22 years old, married and a mother of a 2 year old girl. I am also depressed, It runs in my family and sometimes I stay up until 4  am and sleep late or wake up really early and not get enough sleep. I take the percocest because they numb my pain. I know that is a poor excuse but it is the truth. I don't know what to do and how to get clean. I don't want to take them anymore, but I also Can't go through a withdrawal. I need to be stable to take care of my little one. What can I do? I need help, Anyone have ANY advice? PLEASE HELP ME!
you can also email me at ***@**** Thanks
I saw jennys entry and decided to comment to help her get through this terrible feeling or opiate withdrawl.
I have chronic back pain and a pinched nerve in my back , and I do not need oxys, just vicoden or perks, but I had spent my last penny on buying oxys from friends. I was up to doing 5-8 30mg oxys (roxys) per day, and Finally after attempting many times I stopped and I am proud to say I am twards the end of my fourth day off them. And I hopefully will be getting perscribed something soon for my back and leg which goes numb and has shooting pains.

I would not have been able to stop If it wasnot for suboxine, that stuff is a godsend. I strongly recommend having ur doctor perscribe them to u if you already get perscribed other opiates. I was able to work and function semi normally, I still had some cold sweats and creepy crawling skin and some loose bowls, but Im hoping that will go away in the next few days, at least thats what I tell myself to get by (BTW winter is not at all a withdrawling season - it ***** too cold!) - I have been able to claw my way to the end of day 4. And IN NO WAY IS IT EASY.I constantly find myself having to think about otherthings instead of the pills just to get through the day, And I have to constantly avoid people that do them and tell them I am done with them - basically making it as hard as possible to get them as I can.

Also - I wanted to add - that suboxine is a bit of a crutch -  so If you are not really ready to quit , you will relapse. The best way is to go through some withdrawls then do some suboxine which will sprt of take them away so you can function. then as the days progress slightly decrease ur sub dose so you are feeling some withdrawls so you done have it too easy otherwise you will start again.

I wish you all the best of luck in these hard times. It either takes a really strong will , or to hit rock bottom before you get off these things., For me , it is a bit of both. Best of luck - feel free to email me at ***@****
STEVE LINDNER @ HOTMAIL  .COM
I understand that the suboxone has helped you , but you must be informed that suboxone is a mixed and total agonist/antagonist therefore getting off this Subutex that you so like will also be hard. As it is mixed in it's agonist antagonist actions it is hard. i.e. oxycodone is a complete agonist and naloxone is an antagonist so lets do some play here, mix one part mixed antago/agonist with an complet antagonist you will get played. henceforth ... your free for all is over.
I am 21 and having been using percs, vics, and oxy's for 7 months i have tapered down to 1/4th an oxy 80 a day and maybe a perc 15 if i have it and i take xanex to sleep with benadryl how can i stop completly im a college baseball player and i need to get clean for the season and for the rest of my life i want to make my family proud and im ruining my life how hard is it going to be for me i went one day without it and went back cause of the pain i had what should i do someone please help me