oxy withdrawal
Man am I tired of this! It's been 8 weeks now, since I have used any narcotics. I still feel like **** everyday. I try to exercise and it just makes everything hurt more. I jog and just get more tired, unlike before you gain endurance, not now.

Everyday is just like I'm exhausted, still have sweats occasionally, always tired, heart papitations, joints and muscles hurt all the time.  Has anyone had symtoms this long.

I saw an addiction doctor and he didn't know what he was talking about. He said my withdrawals would end after the first 5 days. Yea maybe the first time I did this. I'm alot better than the first four weeks , but God this is taking so long. I need to get back to life.
What you describe is not uncommon.  Once I felt pretty crappy for about 2-3 months.  Similar symptoms: fatigue, muscle aches, depression, hot/cold flashes.  When you are going through this it feels like it will never go away.  The good news is it goes away in EVERYONE.  Just keep doing what you're doing and time will heal you.  Also, in many addicts part of their use was "self-medicating" and the most frequent thing they were medicating is depression.  The symptoms you describe, although they are probably due to post-acute withdrawal, are also symptoms of depression.  If they don't go away, you may need to be worked up for possible depression.  Hang in there, keep exercising and remeber one thing, as bad as you feel now you'll feel far worse if you use again.
i know just what your talking about steve, i have been on this f-ing roller coaster for 10 years when does it end??i get off the junk and end up right back to s-1. just keep trying and someday we ewill make it ....best of luck and keep trying....your friend and fellow addict joe...
I have had the same problem with Oxycontin. Why do my back joints hurt WORSE after coming off of the medication than it did before I started? Also I wonder if sleeping for like 2 days straight is a common symptom of withdraw?
I know what you are experiencing as I have been through withdrawals several times in the last thirty years.  My latest episode was with MS Contin and morphine sulphate immediate release(MSIR).  I seen to get addicted very easily on any opiate and have a hard time getting off and staying off them.  This last time I tried to quit cold turkey but ended up in the detox ward where I was given some pretty heavy tranquilizers.  I had gone into convulsions here at home and thought I was going to die for sure!  The convulsions were so bad that I pulled muscles in my neck and shoulders.  Then a few days later when I was released the depression set in which lasted for three monts or more.  Somehow, I didn't lose my job and was able to keep working though I couldn't really get into it.  It truly is a tough row to hoe but it can be done.  Seek the help of professional addiction counselors and doctors.  Mine were former addicts themselves and were really good.  Also, an aftercare program will definately help.  Be well!

John B.
Joe
hey,
from my own experience with my wife, the intense physical withdrawals are over in a few days, but depending on the degree of your addiction, complete withdrawals could take at least a year. Go to meetings and share what you are feeling. They will help you more than you can imagine.
J
I am new the OxyContin and have felt the nasty effects of
non continued use.  I have only been using it for severe
back pain for  2 months.  Should I expect such serious
withdrawl symptoms?  I'm experiencing then currently with
just a drop in dossage.  It's aweful.  Creepy crawlys,
no sleep, hot flashes, aches and pains worse then before.
Luckily I have a friend I can talk to about alot of this
as he's gone through it but a little more feedback about
this would be helpful.

Thanks!
No I wouldn't think that you should go through severe withdrawals with such a short time use. But remember this, that each time it seems to get worse. So be careful with that stuff.
Two months is long enough to become physically dependent.  Since a drop in dosage is causing withdrawal symptoms, you will experience some degree of withdrawal.  If you are able to slowly taper down your dosage, the final withdrawal will be easier.  Also, if you continue using the narcotic the withdrawal will be worse.  If you truly need it for bad pain, by all means use it.  Just keep your physician informed about your tolerance and withdrawal symptoms.
I have been taking 320mgs of oxycontin.....I had a three story fall....I broke 5 vertabrea's in my lower back.....I have one crushed so bad it went into my spinal column and 50% of my AP diameter is cut off.....   My Pain management doctor who had put me on this much Oxycontin....recently died....I had to see a new Pain doc.....He doesnt believe in treating with oxycontin at those levels...and wants me to go into detox.....What do i do....HELP!!!!!!!

I have been on 40mg of oxy every eight hours, and this past week decided to quit cold turkey. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I have never felt so horrible in all my life.... This drug is highly addictive and you should come of this drug very slowly. I couldn't sleep hot and cold flahes my hole body aches a lot of vomiting. And of course deppersion. I regret ever getting hooked on these pills. They may help with the pain but the long term effects are definetly not worth it. So any one out there just starting out take my advice don't even take them there not worth going through what you will go through when you come down.    Thanks for listing.

THIS IS MY FIRST DAY HOME FROM DETOX. OC'S HAVE MADE THE PAST 6
MONTHS OF MY LIFE A LIVING HELL. OH, AT FIRST THEY WERE KILLER,
MADE ME LOVE LIFE & EVERYONE AROUND ME. HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE f@!>* I WAS GETTING MYSELF INTO. FRIENDS WERE TAKING THESE THINGS
LIKE CRAZY AND FOR AWHILE I DIDN'T HAVE ANY INTEREST IN WHAT WAS
WAS SO GREAT ABOUT THEM. (THESE WERE NOT USED FOR PAIN PURPOSES,
ONLY RECREATION.) ANYWAY, THAT ONE HORRIBLE DAY I TRIED ONE &
WHOO DID I SURE LIKE THE WAY IT MADE ME FEEL!!! BUT, AS TIME WENT
ON & I DIDNT HAVE ACCESS TO THES MOTHER F,ERS DAILY I ACTUALLY
THOUGHT I HAD THE FLU (COLD SWEATS, ACHES ALL OVER, PUKING, THE
SHITS, ALL THAT CRAPPY STUFF!) AFTER I REALIZED THAT ALL IT WOULD
TAKE WAS A ANOTHER TINY PILL TO MAKE ME ALL BETTER IT WAS A SNOW-
BALL EFFECT, DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DRIVING, SEARCHING FOR ANYWAY
OF GETTING HOLD OF ONE FOR THAT OH SO TEMPORARY HIGH THAT IS SO
NOT IN COMPARISIN TO THE MISERY THAT IT HAS BROUGHT TO MY LIFE &
ALL THE ONES AROUND ME. NOT TO MENTION THE LYING,STEALING,AND
THE MONSTER THAT I BECAME............. I WENT FOR HELP, & BEST
OF LUCK TO THOSE OTHER OXY-HEADS, SWALLOWERS,SNORTERS(AS I WAS)
OR NEEDLE USERS OUT THERE-WE CAN OVER COME THIS EPEDEMIC!!!
(DOCTORS TOLD ME THAT IT WAS A SLOW DEATH, OH YA, & A FEDERAL
OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                   THANKS A

I just found this site searching for some input on what "withdrawl symptoms" are like.  I have been taking, what I though was "low doses" of Lorcet for off and on for 5 years - 2 to 3 per day!  Each time I stop I get bad "flue symptoms" - and yes, like everyone else is writing - my pain increases, I can't sleep and I get "creepy crawlees" (a great description)!   I realized that I must have a problem, when I started to balance my prescriptions between two doctors.  I'm lucky!  My addiction has not had any severe consequences - other than making myself feel horrible!  Your input made me realize that I'm on a real bad road.  This is the first time that I've admitted the fact I have a problem.  Hopefully it will be the last.
I used oxy for 2 yr for a knee surgury..then i started 2 abuse them I was taking 3-4 80mg tablets 3 times a day u do da math anyway a treatment program i enrolled in the doc gave me Saboxon 8 days on that and i have not had an OC in 2 months...but i still 2 have withdrl symptoms yawns not as muscle twisting as before when i tried cold tukey but still there runny eyes....still tired all the time....my sex life has gottn better i must say but the doc said that it may take a yr before my body works right again and some symptoms may nevver leave but you will get used to living with them....my advice stay busy monday thru friday is cool but saturday if i want to sleep in and relax i get restless and i yawn my *** off....I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY AS LONG AS YOU ARE STILL HAVING SLIGHT WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS LET IT REMIND YOU LIKE IT DOES ME NEVER TO POP, SMOKE SHOOT ANOTHER THING IN MY LIFE NO RELAPSE FOR ME  STAY STRONG...I BET YOU FEEL BETTER THAN YOU FELT 2 WEEKS AGO IT WILL GET BETTER
me and my wife have been taken oc 4 3weeks 1 to 2 of them a day and want to stop whats the best way i took a methodone 10 and seem fine now its going to be another day i got 4 kids and want to stop please any tell me how to do it                    thank u
You posted to a thread that is very old. At the top of the page click on "Post a question". It will start a new thread dedicated to you.I'm not familiar with oc's but many people on here are. Start a new thread and you'll have many wonderful people helping you!
Has anyone had success with chlonodine to help with withdrawl symptoms. My friend's and I are hooked and are trying to quit this nasty habit. It started of with several knee surgeries and vikodene, then those didn't work anymore and we switched to oxy.. We have two people out of our close group of 10 whom are ready to quit. We have talked about it for the past year, but always find a way to get more. Oxy's are starting to rule my life and I want my life back. I have went through withdrawls but no longer than a few days and I'm right back on them. How do I quit without inpatient treatment. Tomorrow will be my first complete day without and I'm scared I will go find more.
The actual physical withdrawl from opiates is rather short (about a week) but the physcological withdrawl can last weeks or months.  And physcological withdrawl can cause all kinds of symptoms.  It takes a long time for the body to get use to not having the drugs, and the mind is the worst part.  Your mind sends signals to all parts of your body, even neurological.  For example, valuim withdrawl can go on like that for 3-6 months and almost drive a person insane.  Valuim was the worst thing I ever tried to quit although I was addicted to narcotics as well many times (percocet, dilaudid, demerol, codeine).  The more involved you become with other activities, the better off you'll be.  Be sure to attend as many NA meetings you can, this was key for me.  Without live support and sharing at meetings, you wont make it.  Everyday can be difficult but it's all made a little easier when you have someone to share your experience with and they with you.  Best of luck!
I've been on oxy's now, about 5 80mgs a day and this is my first day off of em and you know what, it aint so bad.......yet.  When i tried coming off before, after about 5-10 hours i felt terrible.  The one conclusion that i have arrived at that if you say to yourself and mean it for sure that u are done, finished, no more of this !##$$  than you have made a decision and are on your way.. If you do what i have done many times, like oh  no i have no more oxy's im $@##$ then the withdrawl are terrible because u want the drug and DONT wanna stop.. If you truly wanna stop and have the support of your boys and family then if makes it so much easier because you know its just a matter of time until its all good
I agree with you.  Before I decided to get off of Vic and Oxy, I did lots of research, found out what I would be in for, designed my own VERY fast taper and did it.  It wasn't easy, but I was SO determined to get off of them that it wasn't so terribly bad.  One other time that I had w/d, my doc went on vacation for a month and gave me what was to be a month's worth of meds.  I took 3/4 of them in about 10 days and had to make the rest last me until he got back.  All I thought about was he couldn't get back fast enough and it was PURE HELL!  This time, I wanted it - REALLY, REALLY wanted it and it wasn't nearly as bad.

N2BC
I have been taking Oxy's for about a year and a half every day . . I quit once for about 1 week and half, seems like I forgot about how bad the depression and other withdrawal symptoms can be . . I used to take about 80-120 mg per day split up to get me through the day . . So far on this WD, I have went three days with none, but had to take 10 mg on the third day because I was going insane . . this is day four . . exercise and keeping busy definitely helps, but I still feel soooo hopeless and want to crawl out of my skin . . this is the most horrible thing ever . . these drugs should never be manufactured . . STOP AND DON'T START
Welcome to the forum. Since you posted on an old post. Could you copy yours and start a new one. Post a Question button at the top of page. that way we can all get to know you and help you.
i'm with you steve, i'm on week 3 and asking when my energy will come back.  i went through a different kind of rehab before, so when i fell into it again, i used their methods to help get myself back:  1) try short meditations (i know it sounds lame, but it works) sit in a chair and force yourself to be peaceful.  start with 5 minutes, and add 5 more evrytime you think you can - i can do 1 hour.  2) get your brain working, read (outloud sometimes) write, and walk as far as you can push yourself.  3)  get calcium and magnesium back into your body. 4)  go on youtube and watch all your favorite music videos, yes yer miserable, but there will be times you will be distracted and forget about how bad you feel.  

i used 30 tramadols for the initial week of hell, and yes i haven't really slept in 3 weeks.  but each day i feel better than the previous.  without professional help, this is a long and difficult process, but if you are serious about it, it will get better.    
You used tramadol to get off oxy? That is a bad drug and I hope you have stopped taking it.
time, supps and exercise,,,the aminos tyrosine, phenylalanine and methionone...5htp all help tremendously
I am a 60 y/o retired /disabled nurse who has been on narcotic pain meds for three plus years .Apx. 2 months ago I moved up to oxcytin 20mg two tabs every 12 hours ,with my drs. guidance of course .I am having many other health problems (sarcoid,rhabdo,myositis) and most recently SOB,chest pain ,low energy,heart palpations ,lower leg pain .My big problem when I started this stuff  was/is chronic severe neck pain .At this point It doesn't feel like a reasonable trade off.I am misreable and today switched from oxycontin 20 mg .ER (2) twice a day to morphine sulphate 15mg.2 tabs 3 times a day .The side effects/symptoms listed with OC seem to be real close to what I am going through .Pain is a powerful motivator ,coming and going !Does any of this make sense?poor old nurse BAC
pooroldnurseBAC, I think you should report your adjustment problems to your physician STAT. Sounds like you have quite a lot going on.
Im am on  the 5 days off oxys and t-3s t-4s i  was taking 15 or so t3s a day and when I could not get those i was getting oxy 10s and 20s and taking 5 or 6 a day..Aside from the regular withdrawls Im feeling chest pains ,shortness of breath and I feel like my heart is going so slow it is going to stop..Been to emerg 3 times in 5 days..and they say im stressed...Uh yea but Ive never had these problems..Its this part of the withdrawl and how long till it stops?
This thread is 9 years old.
LOL I was thinking the same thing wondering where are some of these posters now.
I guess they never auto-delete on this forum. I wonder what the oldest ongoing thread is maybe under President Regan time!
Peace
Okay guys, here is the deal. These members are coming in through a Google search which is how I landed here two years ago.

If you want to be helpful, tell them how to create their own post.

Example:

This is an old post and will get pushed back to archives is no one sees it. Please go to the top of this page and hit the green "Post A Question" button. Follow the instructions and create your very own question. there is a lot of help and support here and we hope you stick around for it.

See you out there!
well this is day tree for me....this is my first time trying to get off iv been doing oxys for 2 years now 120 mg a day i smoke it or sniff it i knw sounds dumb but its the truth i havent sleep for 2 nights now...my body fell sooooo stiff i cant do nothing but think should i just do it migrans like my hair feel like it growin,,,,,,,i donno if there anything i cant take ither then musle relaxers they dont realy help.......any help...plz
hey dude welcome to the forum...you found a very old thread to post on
start fresh with the top box that says post a question on top of this page
as for your detox I found hot baths helped alot also heating pad for my legs
you can try some motrine but there's not much else but time that will realy
take care of your aches and pains of withdrawal...keep in mind it is only a temporary
condition and in a few days things will start to look a little better again time is the only
real cure...if you believe in god try praying I found that helped also...he all you got
at 3am just hang in there your over 1/2 way there for most people so it should be down hill after tomorrow ...just keep telling yourself "I can do this" and it will be over b/4 you know it....good luck and god bless...Gnarly  
i was on day 7 of my withidrawl had been so sick for the last five...i thaught i could beat this horrible addiction i was fighting! but it became constant pain....the ***** cramps and worst of all...the CRASY LEGS! my legs had a mind of their own! i wanted to die...acctually last nite sat with a pistol to my temple.....i own my own business and since monday havent even went in....SOOOOO today i broke and went to the doc and got more....i know its something i can beat but no right now. i did get a BIG BOTTLE OF OXYS.....but i also got 300 norco tens...i took four and feel like a new man! i know this just prolonged the w/d again but damn if i can i would not like to take the oxys....i have had seven knee surgerys and have a hard time walkin...workin...havein sex...goin anywhere? i am a verry fit guy i go to the gym and look like i do! i do abuse steroids and growth hormone but have a nice body to show! i know one day this will all catch up to me....im only 30? i dont have anyone in my life..i have 3 friends and a gal i mess with but no family....can anyone help me to realize this is a beatable thing....I JUST COULDNT? NOT TODAY?

SAD TO BE ME...BUT ALSO FEEL LIKE A 100000000000000 BUCKS RIGHT NOW?

HELP!!!
Well john strap in because your in for a long ride. Did I mention long. This is good and it sounds like you have a doctor that wants to treat the problem and not cover it up. I wish you the best of luck?
Today is day 3 without any oxy. Withdraws are bad. I'm used to taking a 80/day. I'm getting married in oct. And it effecting my contribution to our wedding money. I see what everyone is saying, and this is my 3rd time trying to quit. If I can make it a few more days without any, I should b fine. I hope. I have a growth on my rt knee that is very bothersom. My fience doesn't diserve to have someone with an addiction. Ill let u kno how it goes. Wish me luck
do the doctors know of your oc use before they tell you its stress?