Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
oxycontin withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

oxycontin withdrawal

What's the best way to help someone withdraw from Oxycontin? Taper off the drug or cold turkey?
If they have someone to help them and hold their oxycontin for them, taper might be easier. It is very hard for an addict alone to taper.  I am a cold turkey person myself.  It was hell but over with in a week.  Keep reading on this forum. People will give you all kinds of ideas.  I think everyone is eating dinner or something. I seem to be only one on right now.  Keep checking back with forum.  
how much are you taking and for how long?
for 6 months -
and it is my husband and I can't be sure how much, but he wants off and didn't know what is the best way.  Should he use hydro or something else to taper off or something else?  I am willing to help him because I think he is serious this time.  It's been an up and down several years with different addictions
my boyfriend has been on oxycontin for a couple years now because of a car wreck where his back was broken and undetected for 4 years. he has tried a few times to get off of them by himself, but the withdrawals are unbearable for him. i've been reading these posts looking to find alternative ideas for him to try, but just am not sure what would be best. we have looked into detox centers...but is there a way to get thru it at home....that isn't so bad?
A person can get off oxy by going cold turkey (ct) or he can taper by taking less oxy each day. If you choose taper then you could post "taper schedual anyone?"  I don't suggest for him to get on another drug for a long period of time to get off oxy because many people here did that and are withdrawing from the helper. Encourage him to take a aleve when it's time for meds. The addiction is ALOT easier to get over than I ever thought . I hope he chooses to do it. Life is so much better without oxy hydro etc