Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
oxycotin vs. methadone vs. suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

oxycotin vs. methadone vs. suboxone

I am a 26 year old war veteran and while serving in iraq i was injured and given pain killers. When i came home I started going to the Veterans Hospital and was prescribed Methadone for pain, and it turned into an addiction. The VA hospital decided to take me off this med after bein on it for 5 years and they tried weaning me, i was unsuccessful. I realized that this was not only a physical addiction, but a very strong mental addiction. I am having so much trouble and now i am buying oxycotin and am addicted to about 160 mgs a day, but i crush and sniff them. I do not want this addiction anymore, i want to start a life and have a baby. I was wondering if any has any experience or knows if there is a way to get off oxycontin using methadone or suboxone without getting addicted to them? im thinking taking the meth or sub for a couple of days, but dont want to be addicted to either of them. how long before you are physically addicted to subs? I want to be free of all opiates and to get this huge monkey off my back. Also, does anyone know what withdrawals are the shortest and not as bad? from suboxione, methadone or oxycotin? Please help!!
First, WELCOME HOME!!   I am a 59yr old Viet era vet myself......you arent alone on this forum and we bring everybody home.  Sorry about you getting dinged up - I did some hard things to my body also.  I want to refer you to an Airborne Ranger friend - call sign CYMER - last thing he saw was a C-130's belly flying away from him and his t-10 in a total malfunction. VA had him on all kinds of morphine, and etc. He decided he wanted off of it himself. He made it happen. There are many things that you can do.....best is to learn as much as you can about the enemy. Addiction is cunning and smart. Dont underestimate the enemy. Find, fix, and destroy.  Keep posting and PM me if you wish - lots of information flies through Personal Messages here........I di my first smack during Nam .....but I have been clean for a while now and loving it!!   You can be also - - - yesterday was the only easy day ........Drive on..........
I have never taken oxys or meth but I am now on suboxone from a heavy hydrocodone habit. I have heard the meth w/d are the absolute worst. I have friends who have succesfully weaned off sub with mild w/d. It is a looonnngg process but they had great dr's and all agree that it was worth it(taking the sub)! If you do not taper off the sub correctly the w/d can be bad and long, I would assume the shortest physical w/d would be the oxy's. However, it all comes with a LONG mental battle. That is where aftercare comes in. Please start getting a plan together once you have overvcome the physical w/d. IT is hard to stay clean w/o aftercare. Keep posting. Good luck to you!

Thank you for serving our country!
Welcome home soldier and thanks for your service.  I did OXY for a long time, heavy doses, well above your current intake.  I decided to try the Suboxone route for almost a month and it has been a train wreck.  However, I'm still clean from opiates after about 6 months.  I'm not really sure if  it was the Sub that made it so bad or if it was going to be this bad either way.  Hard to say if the Sub made it better or worse.  I can say that the month on the Sub was easy, just when I stopped, all he!! broke loose.  You can do it though.  You need someone to help in the beginning because you just wont feel like doing anything for a while.  After a few weeks or so though it is just a matter of pushing on everyday and keep fighting.  I wont say that this enemy is as bad as the ones you faced overseas, but it is a bad dude in its own right.  Best of Luck.